PDA

View Full Version : Clarett to the NFL???

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 18th, 2003, 11:42:59 AM
I found this on ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1618199

Now first off I hope he loses if he sues, it would be awful for the NFL and college just looked at what it has done to Basketball. Second no 18-20 can play pro football they get killed , pro football is a game of men it is different than Basketball which is no where near as physical so these kids should be kept out. Also I don't understand why anybody could sue to get in? The NFL is a private organization people do not have the right to enter their draft, it be me like saying well I don't have a PHD but I want to teach History at Harvard and suing them to give me an interview, to me its the same thing. I think it be awful if the courts rulled in his favor because some idiot High schooler will then go the NFL and who knows he could make it and get seriously hurt.

Ryan Pode
Sep 18th, 2003, 12:54:38 PM
I say let 'em. After he gets hit once by some one like Ray Lewis or Joey Porter, he'll go oozing home to his mommy. In all seriousness though, I think you're right. Football is a mans game, not like basketball where its more skill then body strength.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 18th, 2003, 12:58:22 PM
LOL what is funny is according to Mel Kiper Clarett will be lucky to get picked in the second round in next years draft. If that is the case he might not even make an NFL team what would be the point of getting drafted if you can't make an NFL roster.

Wei Wu Wei
Sep 18th, 2003, 01:40:04 PM
Some people are just spoiled. Others are just plain arrogant. And some are both. This kid is both.

Figrin D'an
Sep 18th, 2003, 02:17:36 PM
The best thing Clarett can do is to stay at Ohio State, take his punishment like a man, get his grades up, then come back to the team next year. It's by no means the easiest path, but if he wants to salvage the smallest shred of respect, this is his only viable choice. Transfering makes him look weak, and trying to overturn the NFL early entry rule makes him look like a whiney brat.

According to his high school head coach, Clarett is the kind of kid whom almost always got his way because of his athletic ability. Once his coaches started to tell him "No", he started to behave with a little more maturity. I think Ohio State is completely correct in it's actions, and Jim Tressel and Andy Gieger are sending a message that no one player, no matter how talented, is bigger than the program.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 18th, 2003, 03:46:48 PM
I agree with you, if he tries to overturn the NFL rule I think he will be a major bust, he will get drafted late 3-5 round may or may not make the team and will be gone in 2 years. I know Jim Brown is trying to talk him into staying in college, not sure how that will work.

Sene Unty
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:39:59 PM
Heehee. It takes more than talent to get into the NFL. It takes strength...both mental and physical...Clarrett doesn't have that. He won't win. He doesn't have a shot. And if he does get in to the NFL now....I will enjoy watching him get crushed.

JMK
Sep 20th, 2003, 10:22:41 AM
People are also saying that he's a little more than jealous of his buddy Lebron James who has everything, and at the same age as Clarett, so he's trying to get his own stock up.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:38:10 PM
Well he is going to do. I am personally mad about this he shouldn't be allowed, I really can't see why the government would allow this personally. I mean I would like to teach college but I can't sue to get a job. To me its terrible for the NFL and college, we are going to have high school kids trying to get in now like the NBA. And these kids will get killed. If I was the NFL I would get with the rest of the owners and the Player association and collude to not get drafted that fix him.

Figrin D'an
Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:49:32 PM
This is a bit different, though. It's not as if he's suing a team and attempting to force them to give him a roster spot. He's suing to be allowed to enter the marketplace. In that respect, it's not that different from one of us not being allowed to get a job in a particular field because of our age. That's ultimately what this comes down to.

I'm not saying that I agree with his decision to attempt to enter the NFL Draft. Personally, I think he's not even close to being emotionally and physically ready, and I think if he does get his way, he'll be out of the league in less than 4 years because he'll get beat up, injured, and throw tantrums that simply aren't going to work with a pro coaching staff and ownership. But, from a legal standpoint, I think he's got a very solid case, and I think there's a very good chance he'll win. It's unforunate that this will probably open the floodgates for high schoolers to try to jump to the NFL, but maybe after a couple try and fail miserably, others will be disuaded from trying.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:57:21 PM
Hopefully you are right there hate to see the NFL become like the NBA. The young kids in the NBA have ruined it, IMO.

JMK
Sep 24th, 2003, 08:42:10 AM
High schoolers have ruined the NBA in my opinion. Not with their play, but with their cry baby attitudes. I hope Clarett gets run right out of court. I find this so ridiculous, he's suing because he's no longer able to 'collect' for playing football? Come on Maurice. Go to school, play ball for your school then get drafted. Like everyone else.

Figrin D'an
Sep 24th, 2003, 03:49:54 PM
The one thing that could derail Clarett's lawsuit is that, legally, under the government's anti-trust legislation, collective bargaining agreements cannot be challenged in a court of law. The NFL eligibility rules fall under the collective bargaining agreement signed in the early '90's. So, there is a potential snag for Clarett's legal team. Of course, it's up to a judge to interpret that law, and determine how it applies to this situation.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 24th, 2003, 04:14:48 PM
hopefully they get a very conservative judge.