PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek: Enterprise has finally gotten good

Darth Viscera
Sep 16th, 2003, 10:56:50 PM
If you're a star trek fan like myself but have been holding out on watching Enterprise because the first 2 seasons really sucked, now is the time to start watching again. The last 3 episodes have reached an apex in Enterprise nonsuckatude, and they've started a story arc that is really getting interesting. It all started in 2x26 "The Expanse" when a species called the Xindi came out of nowhere and suicide bombed Earth, taking out 7 million people in the process because someone from the future told the Xindi that in 400 years their world would be destroyed by the Federation. So, Enterprise goes out to find some revenge, and to kick their butts so they can't attack again with their ultimate weapon, which has enough power to destroy an entire planet, and is under construction.

Get 3 episodes: 2x26 "The Expanse", 3x01 "The Xindi", and 3x02 "Anomaly". I have no idea how long the story arc will last, I hope it lasts the entire 3rd season.

Figrin D'an
Sep 16th, 2003, 11:04:14 PM
According to what I have read, the story arc is supposed to last at least 20-25 episodes, so that's at least one season.

I actually missed the season premere. I was going to watch it, but I didn't. I'm not sure why. I suppose I got involved doing something else and just forgot.

The season 2 finale was okay... it didn't strike me as being great, but it was an improvement over the typical Enterprise episode. I'm willing to give this series one last chance with this new story arc. The rest of the series has been pretty disappointing, though.

I still think Trek needs a complete hiatus for about 5 years (no TV series, no movies), then come back with a fresh perspective. Maybe relaunch the franchise with a new series, and a new film that passes the mantle from TNG to... something new.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Sep 17th, 2003, 06:46:09 PM
I didnt know there was a show called 'Enterprise'.

Guess its my age showing but......all this 'l33t' talk...I find it so far beyond stupid its not even funny.

The cereal box thing is cool, though :)

Figrin D'an
Sep 17th, 2003, 07:03:32 PM
Tonights episode was pretty good. Looks like Archer is finally willing to make the tough decisions that come with being in his situation. That already makes him better than Janeway in my book.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing the season premere episode that I missed last week.

And the cereal box is hilarious. I laughed for about 5 minutes when I first saw it. It still makes me chuckle from time to time. :)

Ryan Pode
Sep 17th, 2003, 07:09:13 PM
It was tight.

I love his 'torture chamber.' I woulda done the same thing.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 17th, 2003, 08:45:26 PM
:( *has no tv with Enterprise on it* :(

Figrin D'an
Sep 17th, 2003, 08:49:04 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
:( *has no tv with Enterprise on it* :(

Except for a few recent episodes... you haven't missed much.

Darth Viscera
Sep 17th, 2003, 09:29:00 PM
The season premiere episode was a lot better than the usual Enterprise norm, but not as good as 3x02 "Anomaly". People are saying that Anomaly is the best Enterprise episode so far; very good visual effects, excellent pacing, realistic character interaction. When I saw those excellent close-ups and Enterprise fly-bys, the first thing that came to mind was that they increased their visual effects budget, because those beauty shots were spectacular.

Anomaly was written by a new writer, btw. The only other episode he wrote was Voyager's "The Swarm".

Ace McCloud
Sep 17th, 2003, 09:39:31 PM
when does the 3rd season start anyway? I totally forgot about it =( Ive seen all of the first 2 seasons

Darth Viscera
Sep 17th, 2003, 11:18:52 PM
It started on 9/10 with 3x01 "The Xindi" and continued 9/17 with 3x02 "Anomaly". Next up is next week's 3x03 "Extinction", which I predict will be a solid okayish episode, but not brilliant.

Figrin D'an
Sep 18th, 2003, 01:06:20 AM
I watched the season premier... it was good, I liked it quite a bit. I would say I enjoyed it about as much as I did "Anomaly." I'm a little iffy on next weeks episode (the preview at the end of this evening's episode looked kinda lame), but I'll give it a shot. If the rest of the season shapes up like the first two episodes, though, the series is definately on a much better track than it was for the first two seasons.

Darth Viscera
Sep 18th, 2003, 05:10:55 AM
TNG and DS9 got exponentially better once the 3rd season started. Let's hope ENT repeats that pattern.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 18th, 2003, 05:52:26 PM
I'd download the episodes but it'd take me a year. :cry

Darth Viscera
Sep 18th, 2003, 07:17:05 PM
They're 80 megs.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Sep 18th, 2003, 07:27:18 PM
She's on dialup

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 18th, 2003, 07:57:06 PM
Ok so it would only take me three weeks. :mneh

Darth Viscera
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:22:59 PM
No, it would take you about 5 hours. What's the big deal? Leave it on overnight, come back to a fully downloaded episode. Voila.

Alpha
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:25:40 PM
How good of quality are we talking about though?

Figrin D'an
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:50:01 PM
It's watchable. It's not uber-great quality, but it's more than adequate.

Alpha
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:52:08 PM
Ah...:) Kay.

Ryan Pode
Sep 24th, 2003, 06:57:48 PM
I liked todays episodes, it had a nice twist.

Figrin D'an
Sep 24th, 2003, 07:03:06 PM
It was okay... it was a decent filler episode, as it really didn't relate to the current major plotline.

Next week's episode looks a bit like an episode from the original series... could be good, but could be awful.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 25th, 2003, 10:15:03 AM
Why...are all the red shirts gonna die?! :p

Darth Viscera
Sep 30th, 2003, 10:57:39 PM
HOLY MOLY

I just finished watching tonight's episode, 3x04 "Rajin", and it was awesome! As good as my previous favorite, 3x02 "Anomaly". It has continuity, it furthers the Xindi plot a great deal, great pacing, and the Rajin girl was super hot. Makes me wonder what she and Hoshi did in that turbolift once Rajin seduced her. :mischief

Uptight people, wear your aluminum foil hats before watching this episode, and you should be safe from the high levels of sexy babitude.

*formulates new theories about the Xindi*

Darth Viscera
Oct 10th, 2003, 04:35:09 AM
3x05 "Impulse" was also very good. They managed to get Trellium-D to line their hulls to protect against the subspace anomalies. The special effects were fantastic. Next week's episode is going to be even better, with looks at Earth and Qo'Nos and the Xindi council chamber.

Darth Viscera
Oct 15th, 2003, 12:59:27 AM
3x06 "Exile" is a really good episode. About as good as 3x02 "Anomaly".

I'm running out of positive adjectives.

it was highly noncrapsical, or possibly even anti-crapsical.

Darth Viscera
Oct 15th, 2003, 01:01:50 AM
woah, i edited that post at exactly 03:00:01 AM. that's more zeros than I'm used to seeing.

imported_Eve
Oct 20th, 2003, 06:15:39 PM
I wish they would do more character development! I was so happy to find out that Reed's fav food was pineapple.

I hear that Trip and T'Pol are going to hook-up due to their getting closer and closer from the sleep therapy sessions.. But there was a previous episode where Archer found he was dreaming about T'Pol in a sexual way. And also Reed likes her bum.

This series as all about sex, and it is getting irritating. They're sacrificing plot for decontamination gel scenes.

It's the Who's the Boss syndrome - which was also done on X-Files - make everyone want them to hook up so bad that you wait until almost the end. It's only season three!

And why doesn't Mayweather get any screen time? More Reed! More Hoshi!

This season is somewhat better, but it's not TNG. And that makes me cry. It was like being on X all those years and now I'm depressive over ST.

Figrin D'an
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:31:16 PM
I'm finding it more difficult to tune in every week, even with a few good episodes recently. I continue to hope that it will grow on me and do something to impress me very soon.

Eve is right, though... the character development has been rather bland thusfar. I don't feel strongly one way or another on any of them.

Darth Viscera
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:12:53 AM
Lacking character development can be forgiven, so long as there's an interesting plot!

And right now I'm interested in the mystery of those spheres. Who built them, and what their purpose is.

Plus, you'll notice that they're getting better. Mayweather is getting at least a discernable amount of screentime, moreso than in season 2, and characters are remembering what happened to them in the last episode.

I couldn't care one way or another if Trip falls in love with T'Pol, or if Reed falls in love with Kirk, or if Porthos falls in love with Hoshi. I don't turn to Enterprise for sexual gratification, or closure on last week's "who's hot for who" episode. I just want answers to any fascinating mysteries that may pop up, like are the spheres designed to keep people out, or to keep people in, and did Enterprise somehow travel 520 years into the future without knowing it when they entered the Expanse.