PDA

View Full Version : Human Brain vs. Computer

Figrin D'an
Sep 14th, 2003, 10:35:10 PM
We've all heard that the human brain is the most sophisticated computer known to man. But, lately, there have been claims that technology is rapidly closing the gap between the two.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_medical/story.jsp?story=443276

Or... perhaps not. :)

I'd be interested to see how they made the calcuations.

imported_Marcus
Sep 15th, 2003, 01:46:54 AM
Doesnt surprise me. Scientists still generally dont have a great idea how the brain actually works, all there is, is best guesses AFAIK.

Met someone last week who literally had almost perfect recall of written words. Quite amazing how he could rememebr word for word the newspaper from years ago.

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 15th, 2003, 02:15:36 AM
Scientists = 0

God = 1x10^3googbilliontrillionzillion

That is all. :)

Darth Viscera
Sep 15th, 2003, 03:22:51 AM
Originally posted by Ryla Relvinian
Scientists = 0

God = 1x10^3googbilliontrillionzillion

That is all. :)

Ack...overflow of sarcastic replies....must pick one....brain spinning...

*head explodes*

Morgan Evanar
Sep 15th, 2003, 06:30:27 AM
Considering how much goes into just walking, silicon hasn't got a thing on us.

Hyphenated
Sep 15th, 2003, 02:11:42 PM
Great, they'll make a computer that is able to make connections like the human brain and THEN IT IS THE END OF THE WORLD AND HUGE EXPLOSIONS NUUUUUU!

Pierce Tondry
Sep 15th, 2003, 02:15:06 PM
The human brain performs differential calculus to catch a ball without consciously thinking about it. On an automated level, our bodies are already hideously more complex than SkyNet.*

*agreeing with Morgan, in different words.

ReaperFett
Sep 15th, 2003, 02:50:21 PM
A Commadore 64 can out-think me :)

Seriously, computers wont be as intellegent for a LONG time. Until it can work out how to make a machine which is as intellegent as itself :)

Figrin D'an
Sep 15th, 2003, 03:06:45 PM
Well, memory-wise, the human brain isn't that difficult to fathom. Information is stored on neurochemical links between synapses (which is more efficient and has a larger capacity than silicon/magnetic tape by far. Chemical memory is a technology that has been under development for the past 15 years or so, although progress is slow.)

The mystery is the processing power, and how the neurons function together so seemlessly and quickly. The current theory is that, because the brain is a decentralized processor (ie. no single "chip" handling the bulk of the workload), it's able to analyze information at insanely fast speeds. The best analogy I can think of is like a massive render farm. Imagine billions upon billions of individual computers linked together, running under a single main program, each one doing a little bit of the task at once, with near perfect efficiency.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 15th, 2003, 03:12:11 PM
Originally posted by Hyphenated
Great, they'll make a computer that is able to make connections like the human brain and THEN IT IS THE END OF THE WORLD AND HUGE EXPLOSIONS NUUUUUU! Not so comedy Buterlan Jihad option.

Charley
Sep 15th, 2003, 03:26:17 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
Well, memory-wise, the human brain isn't that difficult to fathom. Information is stored on neurochemical links between synapses (which is more efficient and has a larger capacity than silicon/magnetic tape by far. Chemical memory is a technology that has been under development for the past 15 years or so, although progress is slow.)

The mystery is the processing power, and how the neurons function together so seemlessly and quickly. The current theory is that, because the brain is a decentralized processor (ie. no single "chip" handling the bulk of the workload), it's able to analyze information at insanely fast speeds. The best analogy I can think of is like a massive render farm. Imagine billions upon billions of individual computers linked together, running under a single main program, each one doing a little bit of the task at once, with near perfect efficiency.

THE MANY SING TO US. LET US KNOW YOUR FLESH.

Pierce Tondry
Sep 15th, 2003, 03:30:19 PM
Fig: That kinda makes the idea of the Borg not so farfetched.

Cool. I want to assimilate people into a collective.

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 15th, 2003, 03:33:38 PM
Not so comedy Buterlan Jihad option.

"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind"

;)

Pierce Tondry
Sep 15th, 2003, 03:35:10 PM
Quiet you. *Assimilates Ryla.*

Darth Viscera
Sep 15th, 2003, 04:17:34 PM
*Injects self with a high dose of omicron radiation to ward off assimilation*

*cough...sputter* okay, now i'm heinously ill. Hope I don't die of leukemia like that Peter Parker kid and Reed Richards, Sue Richards, Benjamin Grimm and Johnny Storm.