PDA

View Full Version : Isabel

Park Kraken
Sep 14th, 2003, 08:11:18 PM
I'm wondering if anyone lives in the area between Wilmington N.C., and Baltimore, or if anyone lives in the Chesepeake Bay area. Looks like Isabel is going to go right up the Bay as a Category 4 storm. It may not be as powerful as Andrew, but people living in that area usually don't build their houses to withstand hurricanes, and the bay will flood very badly.

Charley
Sep 14th, 2003, 08:37:02 PM
I was in Wilkesboro, NC this weekend, and the weather was perfect. Not sure what it'll be like in a day or so.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 14th, 2003, 09:17:43 PM
Um, its a CAT5 right now.
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories/s2070.htm

Park Kraken
Sep 14th, 2003, 09:18:04 PM
Isabel isn't supposed to be there until Thursday. They think it will accelerate, and be a powerful storm when it slams into NC late Wensday. I don't know how powerful they are predicting it to be at landfall, but right now they are saying that by the time it reaches Charleston, W.V., it will still have 100 m.p.h. winds.

Pierce Tondry
Sep 15th, 2003, 06:44:51 AM
Richmond, VA = dead middle, approximately.

Stores have sold out of hurricane emergency kit stuff already. There will likely be flooding. If I can stay home Thursday, I sure will.

Park Kraken
Sep 15th, 2003, 08:28:13 AM
Basically, for a storm this powerful, get enough water to last a week, flashlights, batteries, etc. Do not get candles, or stuff that can't last without electricity, unless you have a generator handy.
At www.nhc.noaa.gov they have regular storm updates at 5 AM, 11 AM, 5 PM, 11 PM, plus sometimes they have intermittent advisiories, and they also have satellite imagery in Visible, Infrared, Color Enhanced, Dvorak, Water Vapor, and a few other kinds. And you can play loopbacks too.

Pierce Tondry
Sep 15th, 2003, 11:56:57 AM
Thanks, but I'm already aware of this knowledge.

Hyphenated
Sep 15th, 2003, 02:09:36 PM
At least in Oregon all we have are huge volcanoes. ^_^;

Charley
Sep 15th, 2003, 02:34:35 PM
At least with hurricanes, you have plenty of advance warning.

Hyphenated
Sep 15th, 2003, 06:20:09 PM
Exaaactly. Whereas with Mt. Hood all we have is an active volcano with a huge bulge on one side and people saying "well it should erupt in the next fifty years..." And then that it's already fifteen years over due or something. ^_^;

Hope people are ok on the East coast...hurricane's aren't fun. :(

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 16th, 2003, 05:03:38 AM
*Was in Japan last year just in time to be nailed by a Typhoon*

Typhoon's aren't fun, but they're awesome to look at. They sorta suck the water right out of the ocean...the only problem was, it rained the whole 5 days I was there, and all of the streets got wet and started to smell...:lol

Darth Viscera
Sep 16th, 2003, 07:06:07 AM
Um. Does it look to anybody else like that hurricane is headed straight smack dab for Washington D.C.?

*looks out window just in time to see congress evacuate*

WE ALL GONNA DIE!

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 16th, 2003, 07:14:07 AM
I hope they're not evacuating via the Presidential Airlift Planes...

*Watches Congress get sucked into Hurricane*

Lance Freestar
Sep 16th, 2003, 10:53:09 AM
The Hurricane is weakining, but it is supposed to restrengthen, and hit North Carolina with 110 mph winds. That's the good news. The bad news is that Hurricane has expanded vastly, if you look at the Water Vapour imaging, the wind shear, although it is weakining the storm, it is expanding the circulation to where this thing is a massive rainmaker. I feel sorry for the people of Pennsylvania.

Adonis
Sep 16th, 2003, 11:05:02 AM
*:wave*

May hit the Great Lakes area by the end of this week (Friday-ish) so I'll hafta wear my steel toed boots so I dun fly away.

Ryan Pode
Sep 16th, 2003, 04:19:58 PM
Whoo. About 80% of my family lives on the Delmarva Penn. (Between Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic) And I'm not to far off it (Woodbridge, VA [I can see thePotomac River from my house.) Life is just swell.

Darth Viscera
Sep 17th, 2003, 09:18:47 PM
Looks like Isabel is going to hit tomorrow night, and stay here until Friday night, before moving off to the north and hit N England and Canada.

Darth Viscera
Sep 18th, 2003, 10:27:17 AM
Funny how whenever there's a hurricane, there's always an idiot reporter who wants an exclusive interview with the eye of the hurricane, and they always act so surprised as they're tossed about in the wind until the satellite uplink drops.

One of them had better be carrying an IMAX camera. Hurricane Hugo made a rather loud and surround soundy IMAX film.

Ryan Pode
Sep 18th, 2003, 12:56:02 PM
I think that would be the coolest job as a reporter, to cover storms and whatnot. It supposed to hit here good in a few hours...

Sanis Prent
Sep 18th, 2003, 01:20:35 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Pode
I think that would be the coolest job as a reporter, to cover storms and whatnot. It supposed to hit here good in a few hours...

What are you waiting for? Get out there in your front yard with a camcorder. Inquiring minds want to know!

Ryan Pode
Sep 18th, 2003, 01:28:19 PM
I've taken more vicious showers than whats going on right now in my front yard.... :\