PDA

View Full Version : mIRC chat?

Ace McCloud
Sep 13th, 2003, 10:52:11 PM
Does swfans have an mIRC Chat? If so whats the info on it. And if not I could set one up if anyone wanted one.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 13th, 2003, 11:02:07 PM
Nope, most generally use AIM. A lot of people here don't know how to use IRC.

mIRC is a client, not a service. I don't think there is an interest in it.

Ace McCloud
Sep 13th, 2003, 11:08:50 PM
O well, I usually hang out on it for games and such. Its nice to have but if nobodies gonna use it nm =P

Figrin D'an
Sep 13th, 2003, 11:09:33 PM
We'd have to hold lessons on how to use IRC, like Morg said. I don't think people would want to take the time to learn, given that they can just use AIM or Y! or MSN.

It's a nice idea, but it's probably not all that feasible

Ace McCloud
Sep 13th, 2003, 11:15:16 PM
well its quite simple...we could give it a try and just post what to do in a thread or something. But, er, on second thought youre right it wouldn't be worth it lol :D

Matthias darkstone
Sep 13th, 2003, 11:26:56 PM
Why don't we just set one up here? Maybe a special forum where we can hang and chat for a while...unless you already have something like that.

*Now i feel silly*O_o

Ace McCloud
Sep 13th, 2003, 11:27:51 PM
Well actually there is jIRC, where you can put it on a webpage and the user just types in their name and clicks connect and joins the channel...

TheHolo.Net
Sep 13th, 2003, 11:30:38 PM
Originally posted by Matthias darkstone
Why don't we just set one up here? Maybe a special forum where we can hang and chat for a while...unless you already have something like that.

*Now i feel silly*O_o That is what this forum is for.

I have zero interest in setting up any official chat services for SWFans.Net Forums. This is SWFans.Net Forums not SWFans.Net chat service.

The members are free to do whatever they wish, but there will be no official chat service link present on the forum portal or forum index.

Ace McCloud
Sep 13th, 2003, 11:37:08 PM
yea, well. True heh. Kind of the point of this website isnt it XD

Crystal
Sep 13th, 2003, 11:54:37 PM
I've wondered about why there wasn't an mIRC chat before, but I never really vist chats for forums, unless I need to talk to an admin really fast. But(like someone has already said) here we use AIM and have PMs for that.

imported_Marcus
Sep 14th, 2003, 12:45:25 AM
We have enough ways to chat. WTF do we need such a service as IRC on top of all that? IRC was lame the last time I logged onto it five years ago and I bet nothing's changed.

Ace McCloud
Sep 14th, 2003, 01:08:05 AM
I know, I was just throwing the idea out there. It would really take the point out of a FORUM though.

Master Yoghurt
Sep 14th, 2003, 08:52:26 AM
The advantage with IRC though, you would have a public registered channel where members could idle or join for a chat. Today, chat rooms are arranged privately on AIM and people have to be invited etc. For those who think mIRC is too complex to use, there is always jIRC. A link would not have to be on a frontpage, just posted by someone so people could bookmark the adress for the java appplet.

Anyway, I suspect Morgan is right about lack of interest.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 14th, 2003, 08:58:25 AM
we have the Omega Room, don't need anything else :D

Morgan Evanar
Sep 14th, 2003, 09:01:31 AM
Originally posted by Marcus
We have enough ways to chat. WTF do we need such a service as IRC on top of all that? IRC was lame the last time I logged onto it five years ago and I bet nothing's changed. Uh, ok, since you know all about IRC.

IRC can be great, but I really can't think of a good reason for it here. Not everyone would bother to learn it. AIM is a lot easier to use.

Master Yoghurt
Sep 14th, 2003, 09:13:14 AM
Dasq: Whats the Omega Room? :)

And I agree with Morgan, IRC is an effective medium, in many aspects better than AIM. We do have enough of a community to support it also. But if no one is willing to learn or use it.. * shrug* (why dont we have a 'shrug' emoticon?).

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 14th, 2003, 09:13:45 AM
There's a link for it ....

http://meras.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=105

^ there :)

Master Yoghurt
Sep 14th, 2003, 09:32:17 AM
Looks much like jIRC!

Pierce Tondry
Sep 14th, 2003, 01:48:23 PM
Considering it's a Paraxhat Java applet, I would hope so Yog. :)

Master Yoghurt
Sep 14th, 2003, 02:20:23 PM
Yeah, very similar. The difference being for jIRC you have to download and host the script. Paraxhat is hosted, but does not seem IRC server compatible. I could set up the hosting easy enough though, if requested. If I remember correctly, I used that script 3 years ago to host a GJO chat channel.