PDA

View Full Version : To Unite the Order...

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 12th, 2003, 07:16:30 PM
Boys and Girls, Padawans and Masters, and Toiletducks of all ages...

...something has occured to me. Browsing through the Archives the other day, I noticed that the Jedi Order used to do big RPs. For instance, the Liberation of Arcan IV, the Destruction of Dagobah...the list goes on.

However, I took a peek at the Roleplaying forums, and I realized that nothing like those great threads had happened in a very, very, very long time. Jen made a run at it with Armageddon Dawn, but too many conspiring sides got it bogged down. Marcus' recent threads have been great, but contained very few characters...especially new ones.

I know Giant RP's have a history of falling flat, but I'm suggesting we give it one more try. This need not involve all of the Order, but it'd be nice to at least get a few people tossed into the fray. Newer padawans haven't done much RPing outside of their training threads, but one of the prerequisites to promotion is actual experience. What better experience is there than following your Master into battle? And what better way is there to meet other members of the Order than fighting alongside them?

I've already written out the first post, but I want to know if anybody is willing to actually participate in the thread. I thought up a backstory: A sector, Ithvaan, has been in a bloody civil war for 40 years. A recent escapee from the sector addressed the Senate, and as a result the order was given: Stop this war and return order to the Ithvaan sector.

A massive New Republic taskforce is mobilized, led by the venerable Admiral Ackbar himself. In addition, the chaos and bloodshed drew Darksiders to the Ithvaan sector, so Jedi are dispatched along with the liberation force.

I'm banging around debating with myself whether the NR actually RP's in this thread or not. For one, there's been a massive reawakening among the New Republic: Ackbar, Tohmahawk, and Jyanis have all returned, and several new recruits have joined recently. This'd be a great opportunity to get the NR back on track. However, I don't want this thread clogged up with Fleet and Army RPing. Perhaps two seperate threads, combining their results in the end?

Anyways, I just want to hear people's input on this....it just occured to me that this'd make a great fanfiction...:lol

Morgan Evanar
Sep 12th, 2003, 07:38:31 PM
I really don't like giant roleplays. A lot of people feel left out if they can post for 24 hours.

If you can pull the people for it, best wishes. I'd rather not.

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 12th, 2003, 07:42:44 PM
Yes, I realized that. I know there's a lot of bad memories about big roleplays among the "Olde Guarde."

There's gotta be some way to remedy the feeling of being left out, though. Maybe establish a posting limit per day, or something...

Sejah Haversh
Sep 13th, 2003, 12:43:04 AM
I don't like giant threads. Why? Because after the fourth day, nobody knows what is going on, and too many people who joined jsut for the sake of joining leave and make it impossible for otehrs to post correctly.

Sometimes, people find out that they get pushed around and autoed a lot on these larger threads, and that cheeses them off, so they drop out. Other times, the plot really just plain sucks, and there's no way to save it.

Though they might be enticing, large threads like that get old very fast, and I so not really condone the starting of new ones just for the sake of those who will be involved in them.

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 13th, 2003, 12:44:19 AM
Oi, well said.

I think I'll drop the idea. However...anybody object to a fanfiction about it, then?

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 13th, 2003, 02:46:44 AM
Heck no, Write away.

I do like this idea, but in moderation. Keeping in mind the very valid concerns brought up, the real way to do this with some semblance of coherancy is to set up one or two specific threads, with a differend mission for each, and have people sign up to post. I do wish there were more large-scale RPs to get in on, and if you came up with something, I'd consider it.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 13th, 2003, 02:48:25 AM
Have a seperate thread for the NR and Jedi missions or something. Go for it :)

Kelt Simoson
Sep 13th, 2003, 02:53:20 AM
Yeah, i find that i cant pull in everyday to giant threads, and when i dont one of my chars was left behind. Good idea there however Lion, fanfic rocks :)

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 13th, 2003, 03:07:16 AM
*Tries to think*

*Head explodes*

Alright, I'm sorta getting two different views now, and it's overwhelming my pathetically simple little mind. :lol

I'm starting to see that most people don't like these threads because they move too fast, and invariably end up confusing the hell out of anybody trying to get back on track. It's pretty much for that reason that I won't do this...with the GJO, anyways.

And, by popular request (I think...^_^; ), I'm going to do the fanfic. Anybody want to cameo? I hold characterization sacred, and I won't kill any of you. ;)

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 13th, 2003, 03:08:27 AM
Good luck man, fanfic is beastly. :)

I've been compiling Ryla's story for years and I'm still nowhere near done.

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 13th, 2003, 03:15:40 AM
Heh...good luck, Ryla!

Don't worry, I'm an experienced fanfic writer...as long as I can find Rob and Lord Archive...

Maybe I should make this one a lemon...:lol

*Runs from the rotten fruit*

Alpha
Sep 13th, 2003, 09:28:59 AM
lol. :) *smacks Lion with a rotten tomato*

Well, if ya want, you can toss ym char into the fray. He never backs dwon from a fight, after all. :D

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 13th, 2003, 10:45:36 AM
Alright, dude, you're in. I'll think up something fun for you.

James Prent
Sep 13th, 2003, 12:09:19 PM
Big threads are fun when they're not planned. If one just happens, then VOILA insta-huge fun.

The planned ones always fall apart. Even "Mark's threads" get abandoned before they're done.

Fanfic sounds like fun. Swfans fanfic! That's a new one. :p

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 13th, 2003, 12:10:07 PM
Like 'Abandon Me', altho we didn't finish that ^_^;

Jax Ivanrue Tondry
Sep 13th, 2003, 12:16:15 PM
Well that isn't our fault. :)

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 13th, 2003, 06:29:43 PM
:lol

Incidentally, I hit 4500 words on the fanfic today, happily spread over 19 pages, and still going strong...and that's without any of the cameos yet...

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 13th, 2003, 09:23:41 PM
Yowza! Well, if you can promise to take good care of her, you can throw Ryla into the mix. :)

And if you need any beta reading or a second set of eyes to look it over, I'm always here.

Kelt Simoson
Sep 14th, 2003, 04:55:03 AM
Yeah, Kelt to. If you throw him in take care of this guy :p

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 15th, 2003, 04:47:12 AM
Alrighty...Thanks! I'm gonna compile a little list of my cameo artists. I promise not to maim, kill, or otherwise affect your characters in the slightest.

Like I said, I hold characterization nothing but sacred. If your character has any issues or reservations, please tell me so I don't do something that goes completely against their character. Cheers! :D

Kack Mebuff
Sep 15th, 2003, 11:24:34 AM
Hey Lion feel free to throw Kack in the mix. Him and Lion have been good buddies for awhile. (By the way I would've done the big RP if the opportunity came about.)

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 15th, 2003, 04:55:27 PM
Thanks Kack. I'll make sure you get to mix it up.

Azhure Darkstone
Sep 27th, 2003, 11:35:21 PM
Try Azhure if your willing, I'd like to see another view of her written by a different person.

imported_Terran Starek
Sep 30th, 2003, 05:34:39 PM
Lion, if you're inclined, feel free to use Terran. I'd be very interested to see how our interpretations of his character differ. :)

Only if you've got time and room. It's no big deal, so don't worry about it. :D

Lion El' Jonson
Oct 9th, 2003, 02:24:28 AM
Lotsa time, lotsa room.

Recently passed the 50,000 word mark, but so far it's been focusing on the NR side of things, so no worries. :D

James Prent
Oct 9th, 2003, 04:55:27 PM
holy moly

Lion El' Jonson
Oct 9th, 2003, 05:10:59 PM
That's not deserving of a holy moly.

Go to www.thegjo.com and read the fanfic under "Jedi Lore"

You'll have a seizure just looking at it...too many words...:lol

James Prent
Oct 9th, 2003, 05:24:56 PM
Ah, well, many words are all well and good, content is a must as well.

Ryla Relvinian
Oct 9th, 2003, 10:04:44 PM
Then I'm gonna write some Jedi Haiku. ;)

James Prent
Oct 9th, 2003, 10:13:18 PM
cool!!

:D

Lion El' Jonson
Oct 10th, 2003, 01:56:53 AM
Awesome!

I suck at Haiku's. The last one I wrote was about a tree stump. :lol

imported_Terran Starek
Oct 14th, 2003, 09:08:15 PM
Whooo haiku! Poetry rocks! :)