PDA

View Full Version : My printer is not working.

Wei Wu Wei
Sep 10th, 2003, 02:21:40 PM
The thing isn't even turned on. It's completely off. I've checked all my connections, rebooted my computer, pressed the power button too many times to count. To be honest, I think my printer's shot, and I need to get a new one. However, before I take that rather expensive step, I'd like to see if anyone has had this problem and can revive my poor printer. Thanks to all for your input.

Master Yoghurt
Sep 10th, 2003, 02:41:16 PM
What kind of printer is it brand/model? Is it powered by USB?

Zeke
Sep 10th, 2003, 03:56:09 PM
His is just like mine. It's a Lexmark something, and it uses a USB cable. Only difference between the two is mine is working and his isn't.

imported_Marcus
Sep 10th, 2003, 04:40:36 PM
Powersupply. Before you go anywhere, change it and try again. I cant imagine a printer being USB powered except if it's tiny, so that is your first step.Once you have a known working power supply connected, report back.

Sejah Haversh
Sep 11th, 2003, 02:30:27 PM
Well, you nailed the problem right here:

It's a Lexmark something

Toss it out, go buy an HP, an Epson, or, if you feel like taking a gamble on anything other than their photo line, you might try a Canon.

But, for long-life consistent home printing, get an HP. Lexmarks blow. I refuse to sell them.

Surya Barbados
Sep 11th, 2003, 02:48:11 PM
Yell at it.

It won't fix the printer but it will make you feel better. :)

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 13th, 2003, 11:23:34 AM
No, that doesn't work. I yelled and threw a fit at my Nintendo 64 with such ferocity that it fell off the counter, bounced, and rolled down the stairs before coming to a shattering stop on the marble floor.

Sejah is right, Lexmarks are absolute junk. Having several at school, I've slapped them, yelled at them, punched them, shaken them, ripped them out of the wall, fiddled with every setting they've got, and played with the queer little printer cartridges.

...No luck...:lol

Morgan Evanar
Sep 13th, 2003, 11:58:17 AM
USB interface != USB powered. Lexmarks and low end Canons just tend to die randomly.

Sejah Haversh
Sep 13th, 2003, 07:16:03 PM
Lexmark's definition of random: Three to six months. They are known as the disposeable printer.

Canon's definition of random: Almost exactly on the day your warranty runs out, except for the cheap models that last about four weeks.

I know of Epsons and HPs that are twelve years old and still work like a charm.

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 13th, 2003, 07:33:06 PM
I've still got an old Laserjet from when I was 6(!) and it works just fine...

...if it weren't for the fact that it used to hook up to a Macintosh...:lol