PDA

View Full Version : A poorly-spelled letter. (Figrin and Council only)

Sejah Haversh
Sep 5th, 2003, 06:09:04 PM
Slowly, a small droid with a squeaky drive wheel rolled through the halls of the Jedi Order. It was only a medical droid, originally designed to deliver meals to those who were bed-ridden, but with a little coaxing. Sejah had convinced it that a datapad was a sandwich, and the patients who would share it resided in the Council Chambers. If nothing else, Sejah had learned how to deal with simple droids while in the medical ward.

Rolling off the lift, the small droid taxed the limits of its special sensors to guide itself through the large hallways, and onto another lift that would take it nearly directly to the council room. Once there, it broadcasted a doorbell signal and let itself in when allowed. Wheeling up to the nearest occupant of the room, it bleeped distastefully in delivery of its “sandwich.” Once the datapad was removed, the medical droid turnd on its axis and drove right back out of the chamber.

The datapad was a common one, with no special markings or features. It was intended for data entry and message sharing, nothing more. But at the moment, it was worth a great deal, for the message it contained was of the utmost importance, and it had taken a monumental amount of concentration and work on the part of the writer. The message read as follows:

“Dear Counsil,

I am sorey I can not be there my self two tell yuo this in pesun. I am not abul to leeve the medikal ward right now. So I hav to tell yu this bye a lettur.

Master Figrin talked to me the uther day and i askud him if I cood change masters. Master Evunstarr has not ben a round to help me and I hav not progresst as a paduhwan under her tootillaje. I hav felt ignored and neglectud, and I respectfullie ask to leav her aprentiss-ship.

I no there is a protocall that says a paduhwan should not leav his master, but I can not stay with her and keep faleing as a stewdent. I ask to be let go, and have anuthur master. Master D’an has sed that he will take me as his paduhwan if it comes to that.

Soree about my spelling, I no it is bad. I am tryeing my best thow.

Sinsirelee,
Sejah Al’jazhaar Haversh”

There was no more, except for a bedside commlink number to contact him at in case there were any questions to be asked of him while he was still in the medical ward.

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 6th, 2003, 09:53:45 PM
Usually, it was a living messenger who delivered notes to the council chambers, so it was with some amount of surprise when a small, slightly confused droid insisted that I take a 'sandwitch.' My surprise was justified, seeing that the only thing on the tray was a simple datapad, but I took it anyway.

Activating it, I began to read as I walked inside of the council rooms, squinting as I tried to make out the words. I skipped to the bottom, and read the name of the sender. Sejah Al’jazhaar Haversh.

Now I understood. He was still learning reading and writing, and, now that I began to read from the beginning again, I realized that this letter must have taken quite a while for him to write. What he was asking for did not surprise me, truthfully. I knew that both Marcus and Helenias had more on their plate as of recently, and it only followed that we should allow their padawans to continue training in the best way we can offer.

Reaching for my comlink, I punched in the code for Figrin, sending him a short message. "Master D'An, this is Ryla. You have a message waiting for you here in the council chambers. It is regarding a matter I believe the council should discuss."

Figrin D'an
Sep 7th, 2003, 02:44:26 PM
A few moments later, Figrin entered the Council chambers. He had been just a few rooms away when he received the comm page from Ryla. He approached his fellow Jedi Master, curious about the nature of the message.

"You managed to catch me a good time, I was close by," he quiped. "So, what's this message all about?"

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 7th, 2003, 05:45:22 PM
I handed him the datapad.

"It appears that Sejah wishes to petition for a change in masters. I assume that you knew of this, seeing as he is going off of your word to take him on in place of Helenias."

Figrin D'an
Sep 8th, 2003, 11:07:20 PM
Figrin nodded.

"Yes, that's accurate. I talked with him the other day about this."

He quickly read the letter, raising an eyebrow after he finished.

"He insisted upon writing the request himself," the Jedi noted,"but I would have preferred that he waited for me to proofread it first. I think this may require a bit of... editing... before we present it to the council."

The Jedi Master tapped a few buttons on the datapad, and began to correct the spelling errors. He knew that Sejah struggled with written language. He just hoped the padawan wouldn't be upset that he corrected some of the mistakes. Though the council knew of Sejah's continuing education, a formal request like this needed to be concise and gramatically correct.

"Go ahead and send messages to the council, Ryla," he said, still adjusting the letter. "I'll be finished with this is just a minute or two."

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 8th, 2003, 11:40:31 PM
"Yes, all right."

I reached back for my comlink, and then turned back to give Figrin a smile.

"I don't think he'd mind you editing it."

Turning back to the comling, I quickly sent off a short message, similar to the one I had earlier sent to Figrin, addressed to each of the council members. This sort of petition must be dealt with in all haste.

Figrin D'an
Sep 10th, 2003, 12:39:36 AM
"There," he said, looking over the letter one final time, "I think that should suffice."

The letter looked a more ledgible after Figrin's adjustments, but he also changed the wording of a few phrases. Hopefully, it would still sound enough like Sejah's writing style, rather than his own.

He took a moment to read it silently to himself:

“Dear Council,

I am sorry I can not be present myself to tell you this in person. I am not able to leave the medical ward right now, so I have to tell you this by letter.

Master Figrin spoke to me the other day and I asked him if it would be possible to change masters. Master Evenstar has not been around to help me and I have not progressed as a padawan under her tutelage. I have felt ignored and neglected, and I respectfully request to leave her apprenticeship.

I know there is a protocol that says a padawan should not leave his master, but I feel I can not remain with her and continue failing as a student. I ask to be released, and to learn from another master. Master D’an has said that he will take me as his padawan if it is necessary.

Thank you for hearing my request.

Sincerely,

Sejah Al’jazhaar Haversh”

It seemed to be a good balance to Figrin's eyes. He would be speaking on Sejah's behalf as well, and that, combined with the padawan's letter, should be enough to convince the council to grant the request.

"I know that Sejah is anxious to get a response," he thought outloud, and in earshot of Ryla. "Even though it will be some time before he is back at full strength, I think he just wants to be comforted by knowing that he will have a training regime when he is ready."

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 10th, 2003, 08:02:56 AM
Dasquian arrived promptly upon receiving the message, to find Figrin and Ryla already waiting in the Council room. He smiled and approached them both, bowing his head.

“Master D’an, Master Relvinian.”

His eyes were drawn curiously, perhaps rudely, to the letters which the two Jedi held, as he assumed they were the cause for bringing him here.

“What seems to be the problem?”

AmazonBabe
Sep 11th, 2003, 06:32:31 PM
:: AB stepped in behind Dasquian, also having received the message, and took her seat. She nodding her head to each Council member in turn, but remained silent, allowing either Fig or Ryla to answer dasq's question. ::

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 11th, 2003, 08:02:14 PM
"It's a letter..."

I handed a corrected version to Das, letting Rie look over it as well.

"Sejah Haversh has officially petitioned for a change in Masters, and Figrin has offered to assume that role. Since Sejah is in the hospital at the moment, he sent his request in the form of a letter."

Morgan Evanar
Sep 11th, 2003, 09:29:25 PM
Lunch!

It was like being five. If five had been enjoyable, which Morgan's wasn't very, so it was like... well. It was like now. Now was good.

A pair of packed meals waited in the back of the Grill's kitchen. The tall Jedi was a daily sight there, if a very brief one. Hayes was gone on a trip with someone. The details were indistinct, but some things were personal.

So he had the rest of the day to himself, provided there was no council bussiness. Morgan walked through the halls to the council chamber, a light smile on his face. After all, life was good.

"Sejah Haversh has officially petitioned for a change in Masters, and Figrin has offered to assume that role. Since Sejah is in the hospital at the moment, he sent his request in the form of a letter." Ryla said.

"G'afternoon." A collection of raised eyebrows and smiles greeted him. He had a habit of sort of sneaking up on people.

"That sounds like a good idea to me. Marcus was Padawan Haversh's Master, no? I haven't seen Marcus in many months."

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 11th, 2003, 11:04:19 PM
"Yes..."

I began, giving Morgan a look of surprise. I had not heard him enter.

"He had been training under Marcus, and more recently, Helenias. It seems that her style of teaching and his style of learning are not able to agree."

Figrin D'an
Sep 11th, 2003, 11:28:42 PM
Figrin chose not to add to the conversation, preferring to remain as objective as possible. He saw no immediate reason why the Council would object to the request, but keeping to a 'strictly business' mentality was perhaps a more safe approach.

He mearly nodded to the other council members as they entered the room.

AmazonBabe
Sep 12th, 2003, 06:04:51 PM
:: AB immediately broke out into a pleasent smile on seeing Morgan, taking his hand gently as he came closer to the muddled group of Jedi. ::

:: She looked to Fig after greeting Morg with her smile. ::

Well, if you have no objections to taking him as your Padawan, I see no reason for an objection from myself.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 13th, 2003, 01:35:52 AM
“Agreed. There is no reason why he shouldn’t change.”

Sejah Haversh
Sep 13th, 2003, 01:49:00 AM
The heavy thud of a rubber-padded footstep sounded down the halls of the Jedi Order, accompanied by a ghastly hiss and creak of a series of hydraulics, and the occasional hum of electronic motors.

They were the sounds of a walking frame, a device that allowed those who would normally be confined to a wheelchair the ability to walk again on two legs. Albeit in a limited, clumsy, and obtrusive manner.

At the moment, Sejah bore one such device. It strapped around his legs and waist, connecting to a back brace and a series of straps runnign over his shoulders. It had been an awkward fit to his body, but with enough sheer determination, he donned the contraption, and pulled a light jacket on over it to disguise some of the frame, though fully hiding it was impossible.

He felt like Frankenstein, plodding in graceless, heavy steps, unable to control his stride beyond what was programmed, and turning was quite difficult, and awkward. Still, he soldiered on, loathing his dependance on the device as he controlled it with a wrist-mounted joystick. If he could feel his legs, he was sure they hurt, and that the straps were too tight, but he had more important things on his mind.

Sejah knew his letter was poorly spelled, and he feared it might be too weak to gain the attention of the council. So, doing the only thing he could think of, he made it up to the Council Chambers, high in the Jedi Order, and rapped on the door with his paw once he brought the frame to a halt.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 13th, 2003, 02:22:55 AM
Dasquian, hearing the knock, looked to the others for a moment before striding across to the doors and pulling them open. He was greeted with a somewhat odd but welcome vision, of Sejah looking quite flustered but at least on his feet. The Knight smiled at the Padawan before motioning into the room.

“Come in, Sejah. We were just discussing your letter.”

Sejah Haversh
Sep 13th, 2003, 10:15:11 AM
Angling the joystick forward, the frame took Sejah a full step forward for lack of finer control, and he let it continue until he was inside the room enough to be seen, but so much that he was the center of attention. Most of the Council was assembled, and he felt awkward standing there in his casual clothes--a tee-shirt and carpenter pants.

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the Council," he said, his foice gaining some confidence, "I originally didn't think I would make it here on this thing, so I sent my letter. But, I thought it best that I be here in person. I apologize for any delay."

Kelt Simoson
Sep 13th, 2003, 05:36:17 PM
' Welcome Sejah...' Said Kelt gently. The Knight had only left the bedside of the Mongoose earlier that morning, and it was good to see his friend rise from the confines of such a isolated place.

Kelt lowered his head in thought for a few moments allowing Sejah a time to reflect on the welcoms from the council.

' I to have no problems with his changing of Masters. I, as a past student of Marcus and Helenias Elessar, have a first hand knowledge of the two individuals actions and prolonged away periods. I can relate to how Sejah is feeling,and give him my full support.' Kelt said quietly, giving a friendly nod towards Sejah.

' Under the guidance, and tutorage of Master Figrin i think that Sejah shall be allowed to continue with his training.'

Ryla Relvinian
Sep 14th, 2003, 11:36:51 AM
"Yes, I am in favor of this as well."

I gave Sejah a warm smile, very glad to see him in better condition and spirits than the last time I had seen him.

"I feel that you will benefit from Master D'An's tutelage."

Sejah Haversh
Sep 15th, 2003, 01:23:46 PM
It was really that easy? Sejah had thought it would require much deliberation and arguing on both sides about such a matter. It was tradition, wasn't it? For a Padawan to leave his or her Master, it should be a difficult process. Not that he felt cheated, it was good to hear that the others were on his side. It just wasn't what he expected.

Smiling to those who had spoken on his behalf, Sejah remained quiet to hear out the rest of the Council, and to answer questions if he was asked them.

Anbira Hicchoru
Sep 15th, 2003, 05:37:14 PM
"As do I"

Anbira, who had been recently silent on the matter, spoke his mind.

"There are a great many things left for you to learn, young Sejah. I am sure Master D'an will be up to the task."

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 16th, 2003, 11:20:23 AM
Dasquian gave a nod.

“I concur. This seems to be for the best.”

Wei Wu Wei
Sep 16th, 2003, 12:59:47 PM
"Have fun learning," Wei said with a grin. "And I hope that your recovery continues to be a swift one."