PDA

View Full Version : So what's left at the cinemas this year for you to see? (Plus my reviews of them)

ReaperFett
Sep 5th, 2003, 04:57:08 PM
(You can get a list of release dates from IMDB)

For me, dates being the Friday although I can catch them on the Thursday too:

SEPTEMBER
12th - Tears of the Sun
19th - Underworld (Nuts to The Italian Job :))
26th - Once Upon a Time in Mexico

OCTOBER
3th - Bad Boys 2
17st - LXG
24th - Kill Bill Volume 1
31st - Scary Movie 3 maybe

NOVEMBER
7th - Matrix Revolutions
28th - Timeline maybe

DECEMBER
5th - SWAT
17th - ROTK

Droo
Sep 5th, 2003, 05:03:31 PM
There's also Finding Nemo, which looks pretty fun but my hit list will be Underworld, Mexico, Kill Bill, Revolutions and ROTK.

sirdizzy
Sep 5th, 2003, 05:20:26 PM
you must be froma foreign country reaper because most of those movies have been out in the US for quite some time (heck tears of the sun is already on dvd)

September
5th- The Order (going tonight to see it)
12th- Matchstick Men
12th- Once Upon a Time in Mexico
19th- Underworld
26th- The Rundown

October
2nd- Bubba Ho-Tep
10th- Kill Bill Volume 1

November
5th- Matrix Revolutions
14th- Looney Tunes: Back in Action
21st- Cat in the Hat

December
12th- The Last Samurai
17th- Return of the King

ReaperFett
Sep 5th, 2003, 05:31:44 PM
I'm not from a foreign country Dizzy, YOU are from a foreign country :)

CMJ
Sep 5th, 2003, 06:13:55 PM
I thought it was a well known fact Reaper was from Great Britain...

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 5th, 2003, 06:44:02 PM
Well known only to those who pay attention. :)

Tears of the Sun = fantastic. I love it.

ReaperFett
Sep 5th, 2003, 07:13:20 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
I thought it was a well known fact Reaper was from Great Britain...

It's wierd, I've been here so long it currently feels like Im DE-evolving. I'll be a newbie again by Christmas :)

TOTS looks good. Except that version me and Silus saw :)

Jinn Fizz
Sep 5th, 2003, 08:09:36 PM
The Looney Tunes movie, The Haunted Mansion, and Peter Pan. My mother will probably be interested in seeing Master and Commander, and if she wants company, I could probably be persuaded to go with her. Not because of Russell Crowe...he's okay, nothing special, though...but because it does look like it has some thrilling ocean-faring action in it.

Adjerban the Interloper
Sep 5th, 2003, 08:38:02 PM
SEPTEMBER
19th - Underworld

OCTOBER
31st - Scary Movie 3 maybe

NOVEMBER
7th - Matrix Revolutions... if it doesn't review like the 2nd one.

DECEMBER
17th - ROTK

Soen Spellflinger
Sep 5th, 2003, 08:38:55 PM
The Last Samurai is the only movie coming up that I've got any interest in.

Park Kraken
Sep 5th, 2003, 10:00:45 PM
Underworld, Revolutions, Last Samurai, and Return of the King are the only ones I want to see.

sirdizzy
Sep 5th, 2003, 10:12:57 PM
hmmm the order was weird as hell

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Sep 5th, 2003, 10:32:50 PM
Im still waiting to see all the summer flicks :cry

Ardath Bey
Sep 6th, 2003, 01:17:19 AM
September 12

Cabin Fever!

Cold Creek Manor?

Matchstick Men!

Once Upon a Time in Mexico!

September 19

Underworld!

October 8

Mystic River! (Clint Eastwood directed, Sean Penn, Kevin Bacon, and Tim Robbins star.)

October 10

Kill Bill, Volume One!

October 17

Texas Chainsaw Massacre? (love the original and curious about the remake)

October 31

Alien: Director's Cut!

November 5

Matrix: Revolutions!

November 14

Master and Commander: The Farside of the World?

November 21

Dr. Seuss' Cat in the Hat!

November 26

The Haunted Mansion?

Timeline? (Crichton's disappointing uninspired novel hits the big screen)

December 5

The Last Samurai?

December 12

Stuck on You!

December 19

LOTR: Return of the King!

December 25

The Alamo?

Cold Mountain!

Paycheck! (New John Woo sci-fi suspense starring Affleck and Uma Thurman)

!=Definite ?=Marginal

Droo
Sep 6th, 2003, 08:46:51 AM
I'm definately going to see Alien in the theatre, missed it first time around. :)

sirdizzy
Sep 6th, 2003, 10:39:16 AM
they had a trailer for in front of the order last night for it and when the trailer was done people actually clapped

i saw aliens at an imax theatre last year for halloween

Droo
Sep 6th, 2003, 01:48:25 PM
Quick question: Does anyone know why The Order has been renamed to the Sin Eater for UK release?

ReaperFett
Sep 6th, 2003, 01:57:34 PM
To avoid confusion with the Jean Claude Van Damme movie? ;)

One reason is because maybe Orders aren't as well known a thing in the UK, or the common one, that the US name changed, but the UK name stuck. Dunno :)

sirdizzy
Sep 6th, 2003, 02:03:40 PM
because the movie is about a sin eater

Droo
Sep 6th, 2003, 02:37:44 PM
Originally posted by sirdizzy
because the movie is about a sin eater

Yet it was called The Order in America? I'm looking around, trying to find out why exactly it's name has been changed but to no avail thus far, I doubt it was because orders aren't well known over here but regardless, despite becoming used to it being called The Order, I think The Sin Eater sounds cooler! :D

Doesn't stop it from being a crap film though. :\

ReaperFett
Sep 6th, 2003, 02:46:03 PM
A film delayed for a year or more due to unintentionally funny CGI :)

ReaperFett
Sep 12th, 2003, 03:08:14 PM
Seen the first one on the list, Tears of the Sun. Review below, some spoilers.

Overall, poor. It spent so long trying to say "War is terrible!" that they didn't bother to add a plot or develop any characters. Know what I remember? One guy's called Doc, one guy's called Red, one guys Bruce Willis. Noone was different, everyone just stared on at the horrors of war. And jeez, did they ever milk that! How many times do we need to see a soldier look at a dying or starving man, or show people getting executed? I got bored very early in this film. Some of the lines were so cheesy it was impossible, such as that refugees last lines to Bellucci (Who in the middle of the jungle seemed to find Lipstick and Mascara, as well as having many slow motion running scenes to really make you lose pity for the refugees;)).

They even ruined the fighting. Take the first fight. Every guy they killed was first raping, or torturing, or executing. We got the idea they were bad people the first time we saw them! The secnd fight was only narrowly better, As we watch the soldiers we don't care about getting pin cushioned, mixed in with more "Look, a man is shot! Isn't war terrible!". The only thing in particular I remember is Cole Hauser doing the most over the top dives for cover I have ever seen :)

And what about the HUGE plot hole. Bellucci didn't tell Bruce about the President in line because she doesn't trust him. When the choppers came, she didn't mention it when he would have been SAVED. Did the writers suddenly realise they needed a reason 20 people would be chased by a platoon or something?

To sum up, imagine Black Hawk Down without the individuals, sense of care you gained and balancing of action and drama. Imagine a mess, and you're there.

And did anyone notice Bruce grab Bellucci's backside when he put her over his shoulder? NO WAY was that an accident. And the last hug they have, I'm pretty sure he was looking down. He was making sure he enjoyed filming :)

Found this at IMDB:

During principal photography period, all actors who played Navy S.E.A.L.S characters were had to refer to each other by their characters' names, even off camera, so as to improve interaction among the soldiers
Ironic, the characters barely interacted in the movie :)

darth_mcbain
Sep 12th, 2003, 05:03:07 PM
I'm only really excited for ROTK. I thought I'd be excited for Matrix Revolutions, but after Reloaded, I'm not super-excited to see it. I'll end up going, though... I've heard good stuff about Underworld too, I may go check that out...

Droo
Sep 12th, 2003, 05:32:27 PM
I'm keeping my eyes open for "Young Adam" and "Twist". I'm really excited about them both and I've no idea when they'll be released yet either. :grumble

Ardath Bey
Sep 13th, 2003, 01:31:52 PM
Excellent review of Tears of the Sun, Reaper. It was one of those movies bearing no intelligence and reduced it self to meaningless violence and drivel.

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 13th, 2003, 06:49:27 PM
Young Adam - 26th Septermber. Hoorah!

ReaperFett
Sep 13th, 2003, 07:22:03 PM
Hooray, YOU'LL BE ON HOLIDAY! :)

Droo
Sep 13th, 2003, 07:29:22 PM
Not forever though. And when I return, I will watch. :mneh

ReaperFett
Sep 13th, 2003, 07:44:28 PM
It wont last in cinemas too long. Woo, McGregor on a barge isn't it? Competing with paint drying ;)