PDA

View Full Version : MLB the stretch

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:11:15 PM
Okay we got less than a month to the playoffs and besides the Giants and Braves who have big leagues, everything else is pretty much up for grabs. You have the Red Sox 3 games back of the yankees and tied with Seattle for the wild card. You have the Mariners two games back of Oakland. The Central is more insane as Minnesota, Chicago are tied and Kansas City is only a game back. The National league central is the same way with the Astros and Cardinals tied for First and the Cubs only a half game back. The wild card is more confusing in the NL with 8 teams within 5 games. This should be a great finish the best and closest that I can remember.

Figrin D'an
Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:15:00 PM
Go Cubbies! :)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:35:54 PM
I hope the Cubs win the Central that would be so cool, heck I am still hoping the best possible WS of all time could happen, Cubs vs Red Sox, one of them will have to end their streak.

Figrin D'an
Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:50:06 PM
If the Cubs were to get to the World Series, I would seriously consider forking out the money to go to one of the games at Wrigley. The normal game atmosphere there is awesome... I can't imagine what it would be like for a World Series game.

JMK
Sep 4th, 2003, 06:55:47 AM
If the Expos were better than 4-21 on the road on since the all-star break I'd be a little more excited about their chances at the wild card. :(

CMJ
Sep 4th, 2003, 11:13:22 AM
About a week and a half ago, I was sure the Expo's were gonna be the WC team. Now they've kinda crashed and burned.

Go Red Sox baby! :D

JMK
Sep 4th, 2003, 02:51:16 PM
The umps of late have been royally screwing the Expos and the schedule maker must have been really angry when making the Expos schedule because its total b.s.

CMJ
Sep 5th, 2003, 11:03:18 PM
Huge weekend series between the Yankees and the Red Sox.

Good guys take Game 1. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 6th, 2003, 12:10:07 AM
Yeah Pedro pitched a great game and the Sox gave him plenty of offense. Saturday its Clemens vs Wakefield.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 6th, 2003, 08:30:37 PM
The Sox beat up Clemens and the Yankees today winning 11-0, they are only 1-1/2 game back. And this comes on the heals of Steinbrenner saying he will fire Torre and Cashman if they don't win the WS. What an idiot, if he did that they got back to the way they were in the mid 80- to early 90's.

CMJ
Sep 7th, 2003, 12:26:51 PM
Well, I'm not ready to say we'll catch'em yet. King George always has a fit at this time of the year if things get hairy.

If the Yanks turn it around, he'll shut up.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 7th, 2003, 08:30:11 PM
Yeah but he says if they don't win the WS. He coudl been blowing smoke but who knows he is the worst owner in Baseball I wouldn't be shocked to see him fire Torre and Cashman if they didn't win the WS.

JMK
Sep 8th, 2003, 07:06:59 AM
Steinbrenner will fire Torre if the Yanks don't win it all, but then there will be hell to pay with the fans. They love that guy.

JediBoricua
Sep 8th, 2003, 06:03:54 PM
Not only the schedule for the Expos is horrible (i'm enjoying the games here in San Juan, but I understand what it must be doing for the team), they did not have the money to expand their roster to 40 players like the rest of the teams, so they are dead tired.

Anyway I'm going to wednesday's game against the Cubs.

JMK
Sep 8th, 2003, 06:46:48 PM
I was extremely peeved that they wouldn't allow the Expos to even call up some minor leaguers to help out. Although they did allow them to add Todd Zeile who has been fanstastic so far. The team is just dismal outside of the Olympic Stadium and are 2-17 in Philadelphia and Miami. That won't do.

CMJ
Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:41:43 PM
Under a week to go, and there are still a few races left to be decided. The only teams for sure in are The Braves, Giants, and Yankees right now. The other 5 spots are up in the air.

Minnesota SHOULD win their division though, so really only 4 spots are totally undecided. The National League Central and WC are trainwrecks. The AL WC is down to the Sox and Mariners..and as long as Boston doesn't fold they should take it.

Of course this is Boston we're talking about. o_O

Figrin D'an
Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:51:38 PM
The NL Central couldn't be any closer. Houston and Chicago are tied for first place, each team with 6 games left. So, it's essentially a "best of 6" race for the division title. Chicago plays 3 game in Cincinnati, starting tonight, then finishes with three games at Wrigley against Pittsburgh. Houston has two games left against the Giants before hosting Milwaukee for a 4 game series.

And, with the Phillies and Marlins playing each other, there's still a chance that the loser in the Central could still get in as the Wild Card.

I'm actually somewhat excited about baseball. Amazing. :)

Figrin D'an
Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:56:41 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1622063

I thought this was pretty funny... it's the official "mini-playoff" scenario that would take place if, after the last games, the Phillies, Marlins, Astros and Cubs were to all end up with the same record.

CMJ
Sep 23rd, 2003, 05:00:48 PM
I always get into baseball this time of year. ;)

I like the Marlins to win the Wild Card, though I can see the Plillies win(or one of the NL central teams if both go in the tank). This is one of the more interesting years in recent memory.

JMK
Sep 23rd, 2003, 06:46:40 PM
Ugh! If the Marlins get the WC I'm going to puke.

Hey, anybody ever read 'Fair Ball' by Bob Costas?

Figrin D'an
Sep 23rd, 2003, 06:57:52 PM
Originally posted by JMK
Hey, anybody ever read 'Fair Ball' by Bob Costas?

Do I really want to? I mean... it's Bob Costas, after all.

;)

JMK
Sep 23rd, 2003, 08:19:13 PM
:lol
Well he actually speaks to the people who label him as a total baseball purist, a traditionalist, or romanticist. It's actually a pretty eye-opening book, and at the very least provides for some very interesting conversation. It's a very quick read too, it took me 6 days of sporadic reading.

Figrin D'an
Sep 23rd, 2003, 08:24:56 PM
My gripes aren't so much with his stance on baseball tradition (although I do disagree with him on several things)... I just happen to think he's an awful annoucer.

Cubs won, Astros are getting hammered by the Giants... Cubs take a 1 game lead in the Central. :)

CMJ
Sep 23rd, 2003, 08:33:20 PM
Costas isn't much of an "in game" announcer, but he's one of the best damn sports anchors I've ever seen. I love when he does the Olympic coverage for example.

The BoSox inch ever closer to their WC spot with a miraculous late inning comeback.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:19:37 PM
I saw the highlights great comeback for Boston. Their Magic number is now 3, and if the Mariners keep on losing it will be 2. I think the Cubs will make the playoffs now. Houston is playing awful and the Cubbies are peaking. Also the Cubs will get the Braves who thinks they can take them. I do :)

Figrin D'an
Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:37:06 PM
Well, I wouldn't be so sure about who the Cubs would play. The Giants are only 1 game back for the race for best record in the NL... one nevers knows if Atlanta will slip up a bit.

If the Cubs were to get Atlanta in the first round, I'm inclined to agree that they could win that series. If they draw the Giants though, I'm not so sure. I think with Prior, Wood and Zambrano all pitching well lately, they have a chance against anyone (even more so if Clement can pitch well). They need the big guns in the batting order to heat up, though. Aramis Rameriez and Mark Grudzulanek have been carrying them then lately. Alou needs to get it going again, as does Sosa. If those two can start providing the power element again, the Cubs can play with anyone.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:40:10 PM
I agree with you, I forgot the Giants were that close to the Braves though. Also Steward Scott was joking on ESPN saying something like Cubs-Red Sox in WS wouldn't that be something :p I would love that it be the best WS ever.

CMJ
Sep 24th, 2003, 10:45:00 AM
Whoever the Cubs play will have a tough time getting through that staff. Both the Giants and he Braves have deep line ups though - so both match up pretty well.

Oakland and Minnesota both clinched last night. It was a pretty dramatic night over the league. Hell even Detroit won - trying NOT to break the all time record.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 24th, 2003, 11:18:55 AM
They need to win 3 games to do not sure if they can acomplish that feat:p

CMJ
Sep 24th, 2003, 11:23:45 AM
Well, me neither, but it shows they're TRYING.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 24th, 2003, 12:15:46 PM
Boston can clinch today if they win and Seattle loses.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 24th, 2003, 04:15:16 PM
Seattle lost, Boston can clinch tonight :)

Figrin D'an
Sep 24th, 2003, 07:04:59 PM
Houston won, closing to a half-game of the division lead, but the Cubs are pummeling Cincinnati again, so it looks like they'll hang on to their 1 game lead.

And Sosa hommered, and is now tied for 10th on the all-time HR list with Mickey Mantle.

CMJ
Sep 24th, 2003, 09:28:37 PM
Florida won...they look golden now. Boston couldn't close it out, perhaps tommorrow.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 25th, 2003, 12:00:40 AM
Lowe pitches tomorrow and Pedro Friday I am sure they will win one of those days.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 25th, 2003, 08:10:09 PM
Yes Boston won and are in the Wild Card first time since 99 :) Great day for me.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 25th, 2003, 09:53:56 PM
Marlins have had hell to get into the wildcard spot after horrid uper-level turbulence. The team has had amazing ethic.

Figrin D'an
Sep 25th, 2003, 09:55:16 PM
Cubs lost, Houston won, so now there's a deadlock in the NL Central again... down to a best-of-three race. I hope the Cubs don't blow it... they'll need help from the Brewers to win the division outright now.

Figrin D'an
Sep 26th, 2003, 10:44:40 PM
Florida clinched the NL Wild Card berth.

The Cubs got rained out, so they'll have to play a doubleheader tomorrow against Pittsburgh, which won't be easy. They got a little help though, as Milwaukee beat Houston. If the Cubbies can somehow sweep the doubleheader, they'll be in great shape.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 27th, 2003, 01:20:54 AM
if the cubbies swept the double header and Houston lost tomorrow they would clinch.

CMJ
Sep 27th, 2003, 01:37:46 PM
I doubt they'll clinch today...expect it tommorrow.

Figrin D'an
Sep 27th, 2003, 05:37:05 PM
Cubs win! Cubs win!

Carr called it exactly right. The Cubbies swept the doubleheader from the Pirates, and Houston lost to Milwaukee again. NL Central Title, baby!

:D

JediBoricua
Sep 27th, 2003, 06:51:14 PM
Now let's us all pray, I WANT A RED SOX/CUBS WS!!!

I WANT A RED SOX/CUBS WS!!!I WANT A RED SOX/CUBS WS!!!I WANT A RED SOX/CUBS WS!!!I WANT A RED SOX/CUBS WS!!!I WANT A RED SOX/CUBS WS!!!I WANT A RED SOX/CUBS WS!!!I WANT A RED SOX/CUBS WS!!!I WANT A RED SOX/CUBS WS!!!

Figrin D'an
Sep 27th, 2003, 06:55:13 PM
Originally posted by JediBoricua
Now let's us all pray, I WANT A RED SOX/CUBS WS!!!

That would possibly be the biggest sporting event in the US in the past 50 years. I'm willing to bet the TV ratings would be astronomical... even non-sports fans would want to watch part of it.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 27th, 2003, 08:24:05 PM
Yeah that would be amazing WS. And hey I didn't think I be right I wasn't sure Houston would lose two straight but hey it worked out. I think Chicago will rest Wood tomorrow so he can go against Atlanta first no reason to pitch him in a meaningless game.

JMK
Sep 29th, 2003, 10:56:12 AM
Looks like you were right Carr. Baker had to do it though. I just hope the Yanks and Braves don't win their first round series.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 29th, 2003, 11:15:45 AM
I think the Yanks will I just see another rematch of the Red Sox Yanks on the horizon. The Braves I think might be in trouble.