PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football 2004

imported_Terran Starek
Sep 3rd, 2003, 03:41:31 PM
Ok, since I've been in a 'game reviewing' sort of mood, I've to give anyone who's willing to read my generally windy posts a rundown of EA's newest College Football Title. In an effort to keep this as brief as possible, I've broken this down into a few different categories. So, here goes.

Presentation
As is usual with EA, the presentation is solid. It hasn't changed much from last year in terms of animations or overall graphics/presentation, but the system still in place is pretty decent. As always, the fight songs and just the presence of collegiate bands is the key to forming a very energetic, authentic feel.

Gameplay
Gameplay has been improved a great deal, actually.

Defensively (my favorite part of the game), defensive back AI has been improved quite a bit. The risk of having a last ditch pass thrown into double coverage picked off is much, much more realistic than before. When playing as a defender, players have the option of actually manuvering their D-back to either swat (deflect/block) or attempt to intercept a pass. The difference is, of course, when swatting, the defender remains in a position to finish the play against a reciever by tackling him if the catch is made. When a defender tries to intercept the pass, and misses, he is usually left in a few steps behind as he has left his defensive position to make the grab. This makes you think very quickly in a clutch situation whether you should go for the conservative block or risk the reciever blowing upfield if you miss the pick.

Offensively, the option, as we know it in 2003 and before, has been reinvented. The quaterback has become a fully aware, improvisational machine in this game. With the tripple option (the most versatile play in college football), the quarterback becomes a loose cannon. With button combinations, which are relatively easy to negotiate, the quarterback can 1) Hand the ball off to his fullback, 2) pitch the ball to his halfback, 3) drop back into the pocket and pass, or 4) tuck the ball himself and go. The juke button is sensitive and has a very cool new 'cut upfield' function. With this, a rusher can pull towards the infield with his analog stick and tap the juke button to cut hard upfeild and sprint forward. Very Barry Sanders. :D Unfortunately, the only flaw, NCAA 2004 does not implement Playmaker Control that Madden 2004 does.

Dynasty/Roster Options
Customization is as good as ever. Create-a-team and Create-a-player are nice and deep and are solid functions. What stands out the most to me are the additions to the Recruitment function in Dynasty Mode. In 2004, the recruiting is quite a bit deeper. For one thing, you can pitch different strengths of your program to potential players. Let's say you're recruiting a stud linebacker that has his eyes on Oklahoma and Miama as well. You can pitch Playing Time to him to sway his mind. Or maybe, you've chosen Nebraska to play with and you pitch the program's prestige to hook him.

Also, what frustrated me the most in 2003 was that I had no control over who left my team early. In 2004, you can spend recruitment points that you would use to seek new talent on key players who try to go Pro early. It's not always a garuntee that they'll see things your way, but it's rewarding when you spend 50 points to hear him say "You know Coach, you're right, this school's where I want to be for another year."

Well, that's about it. The game is a very solid buy and a must have for College Football afficionados. I would reccomend it anyone. :) Thoughts? Comments?

Figrin D'an
Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:17:42 PM
The improvements to 2004 sound great, but I'll probably pass on it, since I have 2003. I'm not one to spend $50+ on the yearly updated version of the same basic sports game... even though I really like 2003 and would like to play 2004 (I can rent it, I suppose).

I hate it when players leave early for the NFL in 2003. I'd spend a season developing a good QB into a great, Heisman-calibur one, then he'd leave early for the pros. Grrrrr...

The versatile control of the option sounds good, except that I despise the triple option-based offense. :p It's fine for a change of pace, just to change things up to keep a defense honest, but I can't stand it when a team bases their entire offense on it. /rant

Anyway... sounds like EA improved it from '03, which is good. I'll just likely wait for 05 until I buy it again. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:36:24 PM
Can't you play older teams like Notre Dame from the Knute Rockney era?

imported_Terran Starek
Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:52:35 PM
Fig - Yeah, that's good thinkin'. Seriously, as a poor college student, I can't afford the $50 to upgrade every year. I figure '05 can only get better. :D

Carr - Yes, I forgot to mention that!! Thanks for the reminder. :) You can play teams as early as the 20s even. They wear the old school uniforms--leather skull caps and zero pads--and it's pretty cool.