PDA

View Full Version : adaptation

sirdizzy
Sep 3rd, 2003, 12:54:10 PM
ok i saw this in the theatres, but i was buying some previosuly viewed dvds at hollywood video and picked it up because i thought what the hell its $10

ok the second time i saw it (last night) confused the hell out of me more than the first time

i watched the credits and it says based on a true story and I am like what, who, when where

ok so i had to do some research Charlie does not have a brother , Donald is a fictional brother

so how much of the movie is real how much is bogus, and ins't charlie a little old to have imaginary friends and brothers

CMJ
Sep 3rd, 2003, 01:38:28 PM
The book about the orchids is real. Charlie really did get hired to adapt it. So the parts of the movie that are translating the book are real.

Charlie probably did have a tough time writing the screenplay(I heard that "Tale of the Orchid Thief" is an impossible book to adapt), so alot of that stuff is probably inspired by his real life.

The Donald character (probably) represents what Charlie considers to be the normal "hack" screenwriters - that follow every convention and are considered geniuses.