PDA

View Full Version : Nolan apparently down to seven for the lead in BATMAN: INTIMIDATION (UPDATE)

ReaperFett
Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:15:40 AM
Poor ole Ashton doesn't figure :)

Jake Gyllenhaal (Donnie Darko)
Christian Bale
Joshua Jackson (erm....Dawson's Creek? He's a decent actor, but I don't look at him and shout "BATMAN!" :))
Cillian Murphy (28 Days Later)
Henry Cavill (Count of Monte Cristo)
Eion Bailey (Band of Brothers)
Hugh Dancy (Basically an unknown)

Apparently these will all get tested in the next three days.

For me, it should be Bailey

http://aintitcool.com/image/nolan-batman6.jpg

He has a good look for it, and was great in Band of Brothers. Bale would be my second choice.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:17:26 AM
Christian Bale or Bailey. :D

Definetly not Jackson. :x

Gyllenhaal might be alright - when he's older.

Droo
Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:29:39 AM
I agree with Jenny, preferably Bale I think. He has the look and feel of a young Bruce Wayne, his performance in Equilibrium proves that. As for Gyllenhaal, as talented an actor he is, I don't know how he would look as Batman, I don't think it would look right.

Diego Van Derveld
Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:10:17 AM
Eion Bailey??!!?!?!

NO!

Great actor, yes...but NOT Batman at all.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:39:34 AM
Christian Bale he would be perfect for Batman.

Nathanial K'cansce
Sep 3rd, 2003, 04:49:15 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr

Agreed.

Ardath Bey
Sep 4th, 2003, 12:13:35 AM
Ditto. Christian Bale blows the others away for the Batman role. I.e, Equilibrium and American Psycho, he looked real sharp in both movies and has those qualities necessary for a young, brooding Bruce Wayne.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 4th, 2003, 01:28:42 AM
With the title who else think the villain will be the Scarecrow.

ReaperFett
Sep 4th, 2003, 09:48:13 AM
I just read Wizard, pretty sure ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 4th, 2003, 10:08:42 AM
Christian Bale Christian Bale Christian Bale!

He is the obvious best choice. Lets hope he blows all the other guys away in the screen tests.

ReaperFett
Sep 4th, 2003, 10:51:40 AM
If he can do that, surely he should play Superman ;)

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 4th, 2003, 10:54:15 AM
He is too dark/broody for Superman, IMO

Zasz Grimm
Sep 4th, 2003, 11:13:43 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr

Indeed.

Bale was awesome in Equilibrium. It shows he can be emotional, and like others, he would own in a young Bruce Wayne role. He was also awesome in Reign of Fire. :)

Sanis Prent
Sep 4th, 2003, 12:15:12 PM
Originally posted by Zasz Grimm
Bale was bland and mediocre in Equilibrium. It shows he can be a zombie, and like others, he would own in a young Bruce Wayne role, especially in a movie with a stinker reputation that will set him up for career suicide. He was also uninteresting in Reign of Fire. :)

Fixed.

American Psycho has been his only good performance. He'd still be a good Bruce Wayne on that role alone, but I'm so wary about the merits of this movie. It really looks like Ishtar: Reloaded.

Nathanial K'cansce
Sep 4th, 2003, 02:03:34 PM
I dunno, I thinkn his character in Eq. had to be bland. Hell, how would you react/what would you say if someone told you: "You have to play a character who can't feel, emotionally."

I saw his character change within the movie, and that for me = better than most.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 4th, 2003, 02:50:12 PM
His work in Equilibrium was awesome. He had to portray non-emotion, for sure, but then showed his character going through feeling emotions for the first time. It is one of the best movies of all time, and Bale did an awesome job.

Reign of Fire was gloriously forgettable. But full of eye candy. :yum

ReaperFett
Sep 4th, 2003, 02:52:40 PM
RoF was a Popcorn flick, but a good one.

To me, his Eq role was great because he had to act WITHOUT emotions, yet seem "real". He'd be perfect for a Keanu Reeves Biopic ;)

Ka' el Darcverse
Sep 4th, 2003, 03:00:57 PM
I like christian Bale and I like Keanu Reeves which makes me the .0001% who think both of them are good actors lol

ReaperFett
Sep 4th, 2003, 03:03:31 PM
Nah, a lot like Bale now. He's becoming the next Bruce Campbell, where someone will always think him perfect for ANY role :)

Anbira Hicchoru
Sep 4th, 2003, 04:09:16 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
It is one of the best movies of all time, and Bale did an awesome job.

What?

Get off my plane.

ReaperFett
Sep 4th, 2003, 04:14:28 PM
No, she's right. Your plane stinks anyway! :)

Anbira Hicchoru
Sep 4th, 2003, 04:21:22 PM
Calling Equilibrium one of the best movies ever made is an affront to cinema. Its like calling Puff Daddy a musical savant because he can take an old tune and throw glitter on it and make it sound new.

ReaperFett
Sep 4th, 2003, 04:24:39 PM
I don't remember glitter in Equilibrium. And to call it one of the best movies ever is an opinion, so always right my dictator wannabe friend :)

Anbira Hicchoru
Sep 4th, 2003, 04:46:43 PM
Glitter = gun kata = whats the difference?

ReaperFett
Sep 4th, 2003, 04:48:05 PM
One is a cool think involving guns, while another is either an oft-panned Carey movie or a paedofile? :)

Droo
Sep 4th, 2003, 04:49:19 PM
Equilibrium was an excellent film and Bale's performance was superb. I was thoroughly impressed by it. I haven't seen American Psycho yet but I am looking forward to seeing it after the Equilibrium performance. Jake Gyllenhaal would be great for playing a younger Bruce Wayne, younger than the part Bale would play that is, he is fantastic at delivering emotion.

Anbira Hicchoru
Sep 4th, 2003, 04:52:00 PM
American Psycho is excellent...but even it isn't a contender for best movie of all time. Equilibrium is FAR less impressive.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 4th, 2003, 09:07:46 PM
I don't see this being no Ishtar, Nolan is a great director/writer he is the best person to take on the Batman franchise (I think he has more talent than Burton) I see him like Bryan Singer a character director taking over the franchise to me that is a good thing.

Nathanial K'cansce
Sep 4th, 2003, 09:08:22 PM
I love opinions.

Ardath Bey
Sep 5th, 2003, 01:51:43 AM
Originally posted by Anbira Hicchoru
American Psycho is excellent...but even it isn't a contender for best movie of all time. Equilibrium is FAR less impressive.

I love this movie. It had plenty of wit and intelligence, satirizing the 80's mindset of it's excessiveness, it's obsessive style over substance, it's obsessive fads and trendiness, and even it's shallow worth of personal perspectives and politics. Hilarious movie!!!!!!!

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 5th, 2003, 03:13:46 AM
Originally posted by Anbira Hicchoru
What?

Get off my plane.

You're stepping on my dreams. :mad

Your opinions suck and I don't want to hear them anymore, as you can't deliever them without a shred of "being nice."

ReaperFett
Sep 11th, 2003, 01:45:01 PM
Bale has won apparently.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2003, 08:21:34 PM
Cool I think he will make a great Batman :) Now who will be the villain. I am betting on the Scarecrow not sure who will play him yet.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2003, 08:34:42 PM
What is this about Ra'Ghul being a villain? That is what Ain't Cool News is saying. I am not sure about that I think its too soon to go there unless he shares screen time with the Scarcrow or something.

ReaperFett
Sep 11th, 2003, 08:37:39 PM
He will only be a good Batman if the script is good.

And Ra'Ghul is being touted as the main villain everywhere. Expect the usual names to come up for the big scary bad guy. Rickman, Irons, Walken, Oldman......

:)

Scarecrow is apparently the second tier baddie in this, the Sabertooth to Ra'Ghul's Magneto.

I just hope we'll actually get a movie like the comics, unlike basically everything else WB is preparing :)

Droo
Sep 11th, 2003, 08:41:18 PM
Awesome! Bale is perfect for Batman. :D

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2003, 09:06:26 PM
Well as long as the Scarecrow is in it, I want to see him in a Batman movie he is a cool villain.

ReaperFett
Sep 11th, 2003, 09:07:49 PM
Wonder how they'll pull the costume off. Let's face it, we wont be seeing a guy looking exactly like a Scarecrow on screen :)

Sejah Haversh
Sep 12th, 2003, 12:33:12 AM
If just the right actor is not picked for Ra'Ghul, I will not be seeing this movie.

I must admit, the Animated Series did a phenomenal job of portraying his character, and it will be incredibly hard to top.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 12th, 2003, 01:05:09 AM
I'm so glad Bale got picked, but let's face it, they'd have been stupid not to choose him.

*runs out to buy advance tickets to it* ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 12th, 2003, 09:21:50 AM
Not sure who can play Ghul, Alan Rickman, Jermey Irons?? Scarecrow would be interesting I agree Reaper I can imagine ways do his costume. Not sure who should play him though who is actor who can play him Christopher Walken perhaps?

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 12th, 2003, 09:23:03 AM
Also how about Commissioner Gordon, I think he should get a bigger role in the movie really. I read some speculation if they decided to go in a radical direction, what about Morgan Freeman? I think he would be perfect really, sure he is black but so what the man is a great actor and could easily pull it off.

ReaperFett
Sep 12th, 2003, 10:02:30 AM
Two Face became black in the original movies, can't see why they couldn't for Gordon.

And for Scarecrow, Steve Buscemi. He already looks halfway there ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 12th, 2003, 12:47:18 PM
Yeah, Reaper I forgot about that I vote for Freeman for Gordon that would be cool :) I didn't think about Buschemi he work, another candidate would be Oldman he could play either role.

imported_Akrabbim
Sep 15th, 2003, 04:38:07 PM
I just hope they stick with ONE villian. The more villians they add, the harder it's gonna be to stick to story. That was what sent the others downhill, IMHO. Bane, for example. In the comics, he's an intelligent, well-spoken assassin who nearly killed Batman and succeeded in putting him outta commission for a few months. In the movie? Hulking big guy with just enough intelligence to keep breathing. They should pick one character and flesh him out... heck, I wouldn't be all that upset if he survived the ending to come back later.

ReaperFett
Sep 15th, 2003, 04:59:24 PM
I prefer two villains. Catwoman and Penguin, Riddler and Two Face, Bullseye and Kingpin and so on. What's important is there is a strict story bond. One is higher than the other or equal partners or whatever. B&R partially failed due to having THREE villains, with no good master-servant or partnership bond.

One problem they may get with this franchise is running out of villains. If I had to name Batman villains before I got fully into comics, I'd know all the movie ones, plus Harley Quinn probably. No idea about the others. If they use too many, they can screw up later movies.

Also, I feel that you shouldn't kill ALL your villains if you use multiples. If you have two characters, one should always survive. The least developed is best, as you can improve them next time.

IMO, of course:)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 15th, 2003, 08:48:31 PM
Well if this one works I bet they bring back Joker and probably use Harley for a sequel. If they want to go past that I think they still have Clayface and the Mad Hatter, they could redue Two-Face he didn't get used well at all, IMO. I am okay with two villains but three is insane.

ReaperFett
Sep 15th, 2003, 09:12:23 PM
I loved Tommy Lee as two face. Him and Carrey were excellent together :D

Although technically he is THREE face movie-wise ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 15th, 2003, 09:34:34 PM
Well I like Jones as Two-Faced they just didn't get enough into him for me. I think it's hard with Carrey though he stole the spotlight when he showed up. His character was more interesting to me before Carrey showed up.

ReaperFett
Sep 15th, 2003, 09:38:18 PM
That was the problem with Shumacher's movies. Everything was so 2D. Should have kept Robin out of it.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 15th, 2003, 09:52:29 PM
Too many characters, IMO I mean look at that cast you got Kilmer, O'Donnell, Jones, Carrey, Kidman, and Drew Barrymore that is a lot of big name actors right there.