PDA

View Full Version : Force Boosting and such

Wei Wu Wei
Sep 1st, 2003, 07:27:34 PM
Wei's specialty in the Force is the ability to control the Force to enhance his natural attributes (strength, speed, agility, etc).

I have more or less two questions.

1) Can you use Force Boosting to enhance your senses? I'm talking about sight, hearing, etc.

2) Can a person boost their speed using the Force to break the sound barrier? If so, what would happen to the person who broke the sound barrier?

Mostly I want to know about question number 2. I'm pretty darn sure that sonic booms are created by breaking the sound barrier, and that sonic booms are pretty darn loud. If a Jedi, or Dark Jedi were to run fast enough to create a sonic boom, what would happen to the Jedi? what would happen to the people and things within the vicinity?

Thanks to any and all who answer this, for you have satisfied the curiosity of one very curious Wu Wei.

Anbira Hicchoru
Sep 1st, 2003, 07:31:30 PM
1. yes

2. no, no, no, no, no

Droo
Sep 1st, 2003, 07:34:27 PM
With time and effort, given it would have to be done very carefully, number two would be possible. Anbira flys about like Superman, I don't see why someone couldn't use the Force to propel themselves at such a great speed when some Jedi Masters can teleport from place to place. It just depends on how you do it, there would have to be major draw backs to doing something like that.

Wei Wu Wei
Sep 1st, 2003, 07:36:17 PM
Ok, so what would the drawbacks be?

Anbira Hicchoru
Sep 1st, 2003, 07:38:31 PM
Who teleports? Last I checked, nobody.

And Anbira is still subject to physical rules. Acceleration to hypersonic speed = OMGDED

If you were an awesome sprinter, you'd run around 22 mph.

Sound barrier is somewhere around 700 mph.

Notice the discrepancy.

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 1st, 2003, 07:38:35 PM
If it could be done, then I suggest you use the skill very rarely and only when it's <U>needed</U>, ie. to make a hasty retreat. I doubt running into battle at that speed would do your character any good because he'd be too exhausted to do anything else. Literally.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 1st, 2003, 07:40:51 PM
There is an awful lot of stuff on the ground. You'd need to accelerate and stop. Just thing about how long it takes a Formula 1 car to stop from 200 with all of it's rubber.

IE you could theoretically if you managed to control the air around you (essential for not being thrown into the dirt during the transition through the sound barrier) while also using the force to propel your limbs that fast. But I can't think of a place it would work except for somewhere like the salt flats in Utah.

Sejah Haversh
Sep 1st, 2003, 07:41:17 PM
Bugs in your teeth and the clothies ripping from your body. And probably all your hair too.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 1st, 2003, 07:41:58 PM
Not to mention other things like the family valuables.

Figrin D'an
Sep 1st, 2003, 07:42:40 PM
You wouldn't be able to breath moving at that speed. You'd a protective bubble of air around you at all times, kind of like Morg said.

Anbira Hicchoru
Sep 1st, 2003, 07:42:43 PM
Forgot about getting turned into a human chicken finger due to air viscosity friction.

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 1st, 2003, 07:44:34 PM
Originally posted by Anbira Hicchoru
Who teleports? Last I checked, nobody.

I remember Figrin said his character was able to do so: http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18860

Yes, Anbira is still subjected to physcial rules, bar that of gravity. Say your average jumper can jump 1.5 meters, Anbira can go higher than that to the nth degree.

I don't see anything wrong with the super speed skill apart from the fact that I don't think it's neccessary and is only really a "Wow!" skill and regardless would have to be used with such moderation that it might as well not exist, as Figrin appears to do with teleportation. Notice the way Charley didn't know Figrin could teleport and they've both been here how long? That's how infrequently you should use the ability and as such your character might as well not have it.

Wei Wu Wei
Sep 1st, 2003, 07:47:20 PM
OK, so we have determined that it is more or less impossible to run fast enough to break the sound barrier. So, now I wonder just how fast a person can go before obliterating themselves?

Anbira Hicchoru
Sep 1st, 2003, 07:47:27 PM
Anbira is still subject to gravity. He merely manipulates himself in the way that others might force push or pull something.

Loki Ahmrah
Sep 1st, 2003, 07:48:59 PM
To clarify, I've no objection to Anbira's levitation and flying, I'm just using it as a basis for comparison. As for how fast someone could go, I haven't much idea, I never was a good runner.

Wei Wu Wei
Sep 1st, 2003, 07:54:42 PM
Ok, let's put it this way: The human body can withstand up to 3 G's without having any harmful things happen to them. How fast does a body have to go to produce 3 G's worth of force?

There's a physics formula for this, I'm pretty sure.

Anbira Hicchoru
Sep 1st, 2003, 08:04:32 PM
That discounts air resistance.

Helenias Evenstar
Sep 1st, 2003, 08:08:41 PM
You have it wrong, Wei. It is not the Gees and speed is not a factor in producing G-force. You can be subject to 10 G in de-acceleration by jumping off a wall - it is the wind resistance and the sheer power to get even close to that speed.

The human body has a terminal velocity of about 300 kph if you dive head first, arms outstretched. There is no Jedi who could overrule the laws of energy to make themselves go supersonic - there is hardly enough power in a jet motor to make a human go supersonic and look how much fuel it takes to get there in the smallest and most well designed of planes.

The force has limits. Speeding at say 100 kph is ... possible, I guess. But at 1000 kph, when a 20,000 kW rocket cant get purpose built car to that speed?

Even a top fuel drag car expends enourmous energy and power (6000Kw!) to reach 500 kph at the end of 400 meters and that takes some good engineering. I dont see how an human, even with the Force can get close

It is not G force that will dictacte your speed. It will be how much energy you can convert to power. The Force may contravene the laws of Physics and energy, but your body does not.

(Facts on Land speed record cars and Top fuel cars supplied by local rev head. I certainly dont know them)

Wei Wu Wei
Sep 1st, 2003, 09:23:18 PM
Very enlightening, Helenias. Thanks. I'm about finished with my musings and guesswork. In short, I have my answer just about. Thanks to all who put in their two cents. It was very much worth it. My question is answered now, but if you guys want to continue talking about this, be my guest. This is a very interesting discussion and I'm learning a lot from it.

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 2nd, 2003, 07:05:52 AM
Last time I checked, I remember that the human body could withstand forces of up to 15 g's for a short time before it begins to suffer harmful effects. IIRC, either a shuttle launch or a shuttle reentry achieves prolonged forces of 5 g's.

At forces such as those, you begin to feel pain as the muscles keeping your organs in place are subjected to the strain of high g's. In addition, blood flow begins to be interrupted and routed to organs such as the brain, which is why fighter pilots have to wear flight suits with inflatable pouches: the pouches squeeze the blood back down to prevent red-outs and black-outs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't taken Physics or Biology for at least a year now.

Wei Wu Wei
Sep 2nd, 2003, 02:22:07 PM
Now that I think about it, How is a sonic boom created, exactly?

Figrin D'an
Sep 2nd, 2003, 02:41:23 PM
It has to do with the wavefronts created when an object reaches and surpasses the speed of sound through air (about 750 mph). You end up with rather high pressure at the front of whatever the object happens to be, and it creates a shockwave. For an object moving moving at or faster than the speed of sound, you end up with multiple sounds wavefronts overlapping each other in reference to something stationary (ex. a person on the ground as a supersonic aircraft flies over). The result is that the stationary person hears a really loud booming noise because of the increased amplitude from stacked sound waves.

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 2nd, 2003, 05:08:26 PM
And believe me, it is really loud. The Concorde has to wait until it's over the Atlantic before it engages its afterburners and hits Mach 2, as the sonic booms were complained about by people living near the airports in London, Paris, and New York.