PDA

View Full Version : How to revitalize fleet RPing...

Ryan Pode
Aug 31st, 2003, 10:58:42 AM
Bean counting. Its plain and simple. But of course those who don't ever fleet RP will cry-out for the dismissal of this idea. So I propose this: For each planet owned, 1000 meters a month will be produced, collected on the first of the month.

Currently all of the Empire has no more than 15 planets while the New Republic has close to 40 planets. So the issue of whether or not the Republic can defend itself is out of the question.

As for the other issue that non-fleet RPers want so badly is a cap on fleet size. So I suggest say, 7,500 meters per planet. So it will be eight months at least, before a fleet could reach its full potential. Thats all I have to say.

Park Kraken
Aug 31st, 2003, 09:38:07 PM
Nah, It can't work out that way, at least not that simply for CAP size. A Industralized planet, like say Balmorra would be able to sustain a much larger fleet, than a backwater planet, then like say, Dantooine. CAP on Fleet numbers should be based on the planets economy. Say that the planet's output in profits is like 50 Billion. Then let's say that 1 meter will cost 1,000 credits per month to maintain. So: The Planet would be able to support 50,000,000 meters. But, that is too much, so say a fraction of profit, since whoever owns the planet still has population to support, infrastructre to maintain, and probaly expanding in more areas than one, so say 10% of Profit goes into maintience CAP. That leaves 5,000,000 Meters to be maintained. Say, a Gunship, with diameters of 100 meters by 50 meters by 50 meters = 25,000 Meters of maintenance total. So the planet could support 200 such Gunships. Sound good? I've laid the groundwork, now let's finish up on this.

Ryan Pode
Aug 31st, 2003, 10:30:37 PM
Resources have nothing to do with industrialization.

Jackson DeWitt
Aug 31st, 2003, 11:21:02 PM
OVERRULED

Adjerban the Interloper
Aug 31st, 2003, 11:24:15 PM
http://panic.hopto.org/misc/macros/thanksforcoming.jpg
This is the dumbest idea I've heard in three weeks.

Ryan Pode
Sep 1st, 2003, 01:01:53 PM
Coming from people who don't Fleet RP. Thats the problem, people like you telling us how to RP.

Anbira Hicchoru
Sep 1st, 2003, 03:00:03 PM
I fleet RP when I decide to. I haven't lately. What's your point?

You can always leave again if you don't like it...but we're not regressing back to the dark ages on my watch.

Droo
Sep 1st, 2003, 03:04:44 PM
common sense > bean-counting

Give up the argument because it will never wash with anyone who has ever done fleet roleplaying here.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 1st, 2003, 03:44:32 PM
Everyone in this thread has fleet RPed at one point. The bean counting was taken apart and gotten rid of by common consent of all the fleet RPers. It is not coming back. End of story.

Ryan Pode
Sep 1st, 2003, 03:46:25 PM
Not by conset of all the RPers. By a minority.

TheHolo.Net
Sep 1st, 2003, 03:48:15 PM
How can you comment like that on something you were not even around for?

I would watch my step if I were you. Being belligerent to staff members is not a wise course of action.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 1st, 2003, 03:50:02 PM
Talk to Pierce Tondry if there was anything in my last post that confused you, or was unclear, Ryan. He was a mod then, and largely in charge of moderating the switch.

Taylor Millard
Sep 1st, 2003, 03:51:28 PM
And I had no problem with the change of rules either. I found it a ton easier for me personally when I didn't bean count at all.

Adjerban the Interloper
Sep 1st, 2003, 06:23:53 PM
Not by conset of all the RPers. By a minority. Nope. It was pretty much everyone.

The Black Market
Sep 1st, 2003, 06:24:43 PM
Resources have nothing to do with Industrialazation? How about they have everything to do with Industrialazation. Without resources, how do you build, produce, refine, etc? How do you build the buildings that you need to use to build, produce, refine, how do you get the tools that you use to build the buildings, make the machinerey, etc, etc etc etc etc?
Me, I also find that non bean counting is so much easier than bean counting, the fact that you don't have to keep up with so much statistical crap. But hey, if you want to go by the system, then I can archive the crap for you, handle it, etc.

Ryan Pode
Sep 1st, 2003, 06:40:45 PM
Funny, I don't remember myself agreeing. I do remember Visc pretty much forcing us to conform against our protest.

Anbira Hicchoru
Sep 1st, 2003, 06:43:47 PM
wah. you lost. We aren't changing it any time soon.

Ryan Pode
Sep 1st, 2003, 06:54:45 PM
And Charley, the last Fleet RP I remember you in was Wayward Son which was like 2 years ago.

Park Kraken
Sep 1st, 2003, 07:03:44 PM
But wait a minute Charley, just because not everyone doesn't want to do it the non-bean way doesn't mean everyone has to. I don't see whats wrong if someone wants to manage their own Empire using bean counting, just so long as they confine it to their own Empire. Say a person like Ryan uses Bean Counting to keep track of his Financial Resources, and Warships of his own Mini-Empire. I don't see a problem with that, so long as he doesn't force it upon other people that engage him in RP Battles, or whatever.

Anbira Hicchoru
Sep 1st, 2003, 07:16:19 PM
The hell if I know, Pode, and the hell if it matters either.

Kraken: Then what is the point of counting? If thats what he wants to do, then fine...but it will be of zero relevance whatsoever to fleet roleplay here.

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 2nd, 2003, 06:03:26 AM
No way. It'd never work.

Last time I checked, the Remnant still maintained their grip on around 200 systems, each of those with several planets. The New Republic owns roughly...the rest of the galaxy. Cut out chunks here and there to account for the Cizeraks, some of the crime syndicates, the Sith Order, and small places like Fascinataru, and you're still left with around 300,000-400,000 systems, if I recall Timothy Zahn's numbers correctly. (Note that I'm not including the Chiss or the Yuuzhan Vong, as they reside in the Unknown Regions and in an entirely different galaxy, respectively.)

The way I see it, bean-counting would be folly. If the Remnant is able to gather together ships into a cohesive expeditionary battlefleet and still have significant defenses back home, imagine what the NR could do if each of their planets followed that same rule. Even if every system donated just one cruiser,or gunship, or even one X-wing, we could gather a fleet that could blacken the sky.

Right now, the common sense rule is prevailing. I've participated in several fleet RP's since they were implemented, and they've worked without a hitch. There are no complaints, no flaming between RPers, no construction races, and no wars to see who can make the biggest ship.

Currently, I use a guideline at the New Republic: Keep everything at 2,000 meters or below. Make sure the fleets are balanced. If I deploy a taskforce, I make it realistic: 2-3 cruisers, with a mix of frigates, gunships, and even transports thrown in for realism. No longer are the days of 100 cruisers jumping into a system with no armed support. As for the massive ships the NR maintains, I've got another general rule: Don't use them. The MC-200 is not even to be mentioned, unless you're Tohmahawk. Lion's command ship is an MC-150, but it's just that: A command ship, not a warship. Most flagships are never risked in frontline assaults, as they generally carry the brightest and best officers the navy has to offer.

I will never send the MC-150 into combat unless the enemy chooses to specifically attack it. Even then, most of my efforts will be focused on finding a method of escape, not laughing as I open up with the thousands of weapon batteries dotting her hull. There is one exception to the rule: If ever Balmorra decides to utilize their Super Star Destroyer in a manner that threatens New Republic borders, I will likely send in the MC-150 as a deterrent. For the most part, however, the race to get the biggest and best ships are over.

As are the construction races, which is why your idea will never fly.

~Lord Admiral Lion El' Jonson, C-in-C, Outer Rim Naval Assets~
~MC-150 Pride of Caliban, Flagship, Taskforce/Battlefleet Implacable~
~Current Location: Coruscant Space Docks~

Park Kraken
Sep 2nd, 2003, 03:22:30 PM
I see. Very well then, I was just offering helpful ideas.
Lion: I think we are waiting for you to post in the Mrisst thread before we make our next moves. Just a reminder.
I see what your talking about there. Is Telan on vacation or something?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 2nd, 2003, 04:19:51 PM
ok so nevermind. hes back

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 2nd, 2003, 10:17:21 PM
The remnant has 200 systems? o_O did I miss something...?

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 3rd, 2003, 02:04:00 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
The remnant has 200 systems? o_O did I miss something...?

Only if we're going by EU statistics. Otherwise, the Remnant is cut down to barely two dozen systems, which is not enough to form a cohesive battlefleet out of while still maintaining a defense back home...at least not one that'll be able to represent a significant threat to the New Republic.

Telan Desaria
Sep 4th, 2003, 05:32:08 PM
As far as size goes, the Empier proper, that which others decribe as the Sovereignty, is rather large. Our Fleet is sizeable, and we have an SSD as well. However, we have not yet overly threatened the Eepublic and I am concetrating on having fun and increasing our size and mainly training the many Impoerial hopefuls and improving their rping skill.

I rp to have fun. I admit, I bvebean count, but not for the purpose of making everyone's life hell. I do it because I get bored and I do not like naming ships twice. So my SDs, which I love dearly, are all named and listed, but for my own use. I don;'t post manifests and use them only as a guide so our noobs don't make the mistakes of us, their predecessors.