PDA

View Full Version : hacked

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 30th, 2003, 01:41:24 PM
well, about ten minutes ago, my cherry got popped

i got hacked. i swear, i leave for 3 minutes to get a drink, and when i come back my desktop is completely rearranged, and my mouse is doing its own merry little thing all over the screen

so, if those i was in im convos with recieved weird messages, it wasnt me. the damn fugger even started to type f*** you in an im i had going with lash, and closed all my windows before i was able to get things under control

it was weird. suggestions?

Vauldron v'Atcus
Aug 30th, 2003, 01:43:22 PM
You need an old priest, and a young priest...

seriously though, firewall?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 30th, 2003, 01:45:35 PM
yeah, i should prolly get me one of those

Vauldron v'Atcus
Aug 30th, 2003, 01:47:08 PM
Swfans recommended Zone Alarm :)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 30th, 2003, 01:50:01 PM
aight then, ill do that :)

Nathanial K'cansce
Aug 30th, 2003, 01:50:44 PM
Yes, get a firewall.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 30th, 2003, 01:52:37 PM
yeah, ill do th - hey!! its yoghurt!! i see yogs!

Vauldron v'Atcus
Aug 30th, 2003, 01:53:40 PM
He's been around on and off all day. I think it must be signalling the end of days.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 30th, 2003, 01:56:30 PM
im thinkin that too. now about those priests you were talking about...

Ryan Pode
Aug 30th, 2003, 03:02:41 PM
Priests = Overrated. Get a Rabbi.

Charley
Aug 30th, 2003, 06:16:18 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Pode
Priests = Overrated. Get a Rabbi.

Please stop being an off-topic clownshoe. We got the memo that you were Jewish.......about 3 years ago.

Wanna talk about it? Make a thread about it.

ReaperFett
Aug 30th, 2003, 06:21:25 PM
How is it off topic when he was replying? Don't blame him :)

imported_Marcus
Aug 30th, 2003, 06:27:25 PM
S'il -

1) Pull system off the Internet

2) BACKUP NOW.

3) Make sure you have all the programs you need.

4) NUKE SYSTEM and reload

I'm sorry but you have some sort of trojan / backdoor on your system now. Now I know it could possibly be removed, but if I see a system cracked, I dont bother - it's compromised, it has to be resecured and the only true way to know it has been is a full OS reload.

Anti-Virus checkers and Adware detectors do not pick up all backdoors and cracks

After that, yes get a firewall. Preferably hardware based. I personally dont have real confidence in Personal firewalls, surprisingly the one in XP is actually okay. BUT, that beside the point - most decent routers have inbuilt firewalls that are pretty good. Software one will do I guess tho - I personally dont 100% trust them.

Master Yoghurt
Aug 30th, 2003, 06:55:05 PM
Its very bad news Im afraid. You most likely have a trojan backdoor on your computer. That means, anyone doing a random portscan and using the coresponding tool have full control over your computer while youre online. This includes reading your emails, documents and learning your passwords with a keyboard logger.. :x

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 30th, 2003, 07:02:12 PM
:cry

imported_Marcus
Aug 30th, 2003, 07:07:43 PM
Sorry S'il, if I could think of anything else I'd tell you. But honestly, the rebuild is the best way to make sure your system is clean :/

Note - a lot of virus now carry a backdoor trojan that installs keyloggers and backdoors. I consider it imperitave to avoid Outlook Express / IE like a dose of the clap.

Park Kraken
Aug 30th, 2003, 07:32:55 PM
At least Sw-fans control board let's you switch your password.

Master Yoghurt
Aug 30th, 2003, 07:42:26 PM
If youre still here, I suppose you COULD:

1. Pull the plug (to the Internet)
2. Download firewall/spybot/antivirus from another computer, or if you have a friend with those sofware,. Burn it on CD.. bring it and install.
3. Remove the crap. Be prepared to a FULL Sherlock Holmes search of your HD to remove any single trace of the backdoor.

OR:

Take your chances and download those software from your existing connection. Firewall first. And hope & pray no further damage occurs in the meantime. Just keep in mind the x amount of minutes you stay online, it increases the chance of further hacking.. (the risk is high!)

I dont really recommend the second alternative.

Zacharia Dawnstrider
Aug 30th, 2003, 08:14:58 PM
I've had one of those backdoor trojans once -- had to do exactly what Marcus said. Good thing I don't have those problems anymore! :)

Ryan Pode
Aug 30th, 2003, 08:24:30 PM
Charlie what the hell is your problem? I can just as easily make the same remark about saying how you can drink beer. Good for you, so can billions of other people. So shove it.

ReaperFett
Aug 30th, 2003, 08:24:39 PM
I use Norton. Lovaly little thing, except it seems to class......EVERYTHING as an attempt to be evil on my computer :)

Sanis Prent
Aug 30th, 2003, 09:21:44 PM
Probably because I try to keep said things in context, Lebron.

Ryan Pode
Aug 30th, 2003, 09:23:01 PM
Obviously you don't try hard enough.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 30th, 2003, 09:29:07 PM
stop going back and forth you two. please.

yog, mark, im pulling the plug tomorrow morning when i get my stuff all in the car, and spending all day monday cleaning out my entire computer. ive found and deleted backdoor trojans before, so i have a pretty damn good idea where these new ones are. after that, its reformat time, and after that, im getting a firewall and antivirus stuff and whatever else i need

Charley
Aug 30th, 2003, 09:30:21 PM
OMG YOU SURE ZZZINGED ME

(Stop posting)

Morgan Evanar
Aug 30th, 2003, 10:09:25 PM
BUT, that beside the point - most decent routers have inbuilt firewalls that are pretty good. Software one will do I guess tho - I personally dont 100% trust them. What about a Linux box set up for firewall duty?

s'Il, yeah, you need to reinstall. Sorry =[

imported_Firebird1
Aug 30th, 2003, 11:10:42 PM
Do all of the above (except the comedy part by Charlie and Lebron). I hope you get your system up and running soon S'Il!

Figrin D'an
Aug 31st, 2003, 12:07:23 AM
I feel for you, s'Il... I had to deal with a similar situation a little more than a year ago. Needless to say, I learned my lesson regarding security measures, and I now do everything I can to secure my system from outside intrusion.

Hope the reinstall goes well. It sucks to have to do it, but it's the only way to make sure. :(

imported_Marcus
Aug 31st, 2003, 01:51:25 AM
>_< Will the idiot gallery please shut up?

S'il let me know how things go. i know it might cost a bit in a call, but I think you have my number - if you really run into a problem while your system is unplugged, call me.

Now that's what I call long distance tech support :D

What about a Linux box set up for firewall duty?

Some say yeah, others nay. It's admittedly a better and more auditable base for a good firewall than Windows. What the problem with software firewalls is the code can always be changed and you always have more security problems.

BUT....

given that, I do know of a brilliant Linux based firewall idea. Set up a Bastilled Linux onto a CD-ROM, set up IPCHAINS and Snort as a logger and boot off the CD. Thence the software cant be changed and the disk is only used for writing logs and temp files. Now, you can buffer overflow the susyem, but in the main you have a surprisingly cheap, secure and secure firewall.

That's reallyone of the key things to look at with a firewall - making sure it can not be changed. Software ones like Zone Wall do have change possibilities and ways you can beat them. Given that, they are okay for home users and not everyone has my idea of security or paranoia.

BUT......

The most insecure part of any system is the user. It's not much use installing all these wonderful security bits if all you have to do is get a dumb user to open a trojan attachment or click a trick link and then compromise the network behind the security. Too easy :/

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 31st, 2003, 02:28:18 AM
thanks mark ^_^; i cant find your number anywhere, and i can garauntee you that ill never find it in the federal disaster area that has overtaken my room. besides, do you remember which number it was that finally worked? cause i sure dont; just that it took like, 3 tries. email or pm it to me and ill call if i need help

ReaperFett
Aug 31st, 2003, 08:27:10 AM
Originally posted by Marcus
>_< Will the idiot gallery please shut up?
Kill em Marcus! :)

Do you have a CD writer S'il?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 31st, 2003, 09:14:46 AM
i do. i suppose the next step is world domination, right?

ReaperFett
Aug 31st, 2003, 09:29:57 AM
Something like that Cap'n :)

Vinny Red
Sep 1st, 2003, 02:34:00 PM
Wouldn't a system refresh/restore fix the problem as well? (so long as the OS offers that option)

imported_Marcus
Sep 1st, 2003, 03:02:22 PM
No. A recovery install leaves parts of the OS intact and as there is no real knowing for how and why this happened, the safest method is a wipeout