PDA

View Full Version : Questions Re: Master Trials

Estelle Russard
Aug 28th, 2003, 09:12:29 PM
As some of you know, Estelle is currently on her Masters trial, initiated by the enigmatic Marcus. :)

I am planning ahead for when she returns to report her findings (the thread is moving sloooowly, I know, but I have it pretty much worked out what is going to happen, and Im hoping to wind it up soon).

And so I have a couple of questions for the elders/council of the GJO, and Marcus seeming he sent Estelle in the first place.

Please bear with me, and answer me with patience (and not like in the last few "question" threads Ive recently read).

FIRST QUESTION:

When Estelle comes back to report..who else is involved in the decision of her Master trial outcome? In the FAQ its says:

Q: How can I become a Jedi Master?
A: Becoming a Jedi Master is a difficult task, for even the most dedicated Jedi. Many try and never succeed. There is no list of requirements, no training regimen to follow, no specific path or journey to undertake. The rank of Jedi Master is bestowed upon those who have exceeded expectation and have earned the respect and admiration of their fellow Jedi. It is a subjective process, one that undertaken by the Jedi Elders and current Jedi Masters when they believe a person may be worthy of the honor. If deemed worthy, the person is subjected to a trial... a task or test that is meant to push the candidate beyond his/her limits. If the candidate succeeds in the eyes of the Elders, he/she is acknowledged as a true Jedi Master, and welcomed into a very select circle of people to have earned the title.

Who are the other Jedi Masters or Elders that make up the deciding panel? I had always just thought that an OOC discussion among the bigwigs of the order was made about a candidate for a Master, and then ONE Master approached and conducted the trial. I never really was told this..just kinda assumed it over the years. But this isnt the case, I dont believe. And if it isnt, then it should be IMO because it makes better sense and is more fair.

SECOND QUESTION:

After reading some of the discussion threads of the Lost Jedi, Im a bit confused, and so this question comes from me not having a clear understanding on where the Lost Jedi stand with the Order.

I know their codes are at odds, and the Lost appears frowned upon (hence their name of Lost?) by the GJO. And so how does this affect the fact that Marcus was the one who sent Estelle? To me (and no offence at all to you Marcus) this isnt logical. Would't it be someone from GJO as opposed to the Lost Jedi. I know Marcus is technically both these OOC, but IC Im assuming you cant be both....?

Im probably not the only one who would like to get a clear grasp on this issue.

Loki Ahmrah
Aug 28th, 2003, 09:16:50 PM
Originally posted by Estelle Russard
Im probably not the only one who would like to get a clear grasp on this issue.

Yeah, that's about right.

Charley
Aug 28th, 2003, 09:42:39 PM
It doesn't make sense, and somebody from GJO should actually be doing the trial. We'll get that rug ironed out eventually, I'm sure.

imported_Marcus
Aug 28th, 2003, 10:03:35 PM
Yeah, that's fine to ask, I'll be happy to reply. I'd appreciate if the peanut gallery is quiet because how Master's trials are done and executed is not up for debate and never have been. It is strictly up to the elders to work that out for themselves.

----

Both questions can be answered by this - I'll be IC sending the findings and assessment to Figrin D'an and when the next trial is conducted, not get involved IC. You being caught and affected by RP changes isnt fair so my situation will not be made to affect you. Carry on, I'll make sure my end is handled well and logically.

I had always just thought that an OOC discussion among the bigwigs of the order was made about a candidate for a Master, and then ONE Master approached and conducted the trial. I never really was told this..just kinda assumed it over the years

Ummm, that is the case actually, except that the trial may not be executed by a Master, it may be done by somethng else.

The Trial is not (how do I put this), like a practical test set by a Council. Think of it more as a Game Master (or Masters) inventing a situation OOC that will test a person IC.

Ahh, I can put this into words now, been staring at the screen for ages trying to find the right terms.

Obi wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker were not voted on, they became Knights by their actions. This is personally what I look for - Putting you in a situation that proves you are a Master by your own actions. That is why a trial is not always done by a Jedi Master, you are put in a situation - there is a difference I believe. How that situation is engineered, is usually OOC. and the person runnign the trial (me) will call in help from all sorts of places if I see fit.

Shit, i'm explaining this woefully. I dont seem to be able to find the right wordings and I'm typing in circles. Be a swec, I'm callign figrin to help me explain

Edit : That's a pissy way of saying it's not done by me IC normally. I do em OOC and get others involved.

Figrin D'an
Aug 28th, 2003, 10:27:31 PM
Well... I think the basic method that is supposed to be used is something like this:

The elders/masters get together in an OOC manner and discuss who might be ready to become a master (usually because someone will bring up a name to spark discussion). If anyone is selected, an idea for the trial is concoted. It's usually different for everyone... the idea is that it should be specifically related to a given character or characters. The trials have, in the past, been designed and organized by Marcus on an OOC basis, and other have volunteered to participate in them in various roles. The candidate(s) take part in the trial IC, and once the trial is completed, the elders/masters get together, make a decision, and the promotion is, in most cases, granted.

It's kind of been a smattering of OOC and IC organization. To be perfectly honest, I think the number of master's trials we've done can be counted on two hands. Because they've been so few and far between, we've never really had a huge written policy on how they are set up and conducted. It's kind of done on the fly, so to speak.

Estelle Russard
Aug 31st, 2003, 05:21:54 PM
Ok, thanks you guys.

So, its basically as the FAQ states then. Good to know.

*A side note - Marcus, if the fact that Elessar sent Estelle plays a factor in her promotion for better or worse IC, that is fine with me. It all works for a good storyline either way*

As regarding the Lost -

At first, when the Lost was originally formed, I thought they were like a secret sub-order? Like say, the Illuminati - everyone knows they are around, but only those within the order itself know who is a part of it. I think this is were people's understanding of the Lost in regards to where it is viewed by GJO comes from. For me it does, anyway.

I take it then, that if a Jedi decides to join the Lost Jedi order, they have to declare it, as then they are no longer a part of the Greater Jedi Order?

Pierce Tondry
Aug 31st, 2003, 05:58:38 PM
My personal view of the Lost is that they are an "ends justify means" group of people just on this side of the Light/Dark border. Their views conflict with the Jedi Code to the point where they no longer wish to recognize it, even if they are aware that the Jedi who follow the Code have good intentions. Theirs is a parallel, if potentially Dark, line of action.

But as I said, that is my viewpoint. If I am wrong, enlightenment is good.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 1st, 2003, 12:41:13 AM
I have deleted what I regard as a flamebait post.

I will also say that at present, this issue is not for discussion for reasons that will appear soon. However, the staff will be discussing this and another couple of issues within the month of September.