PDA

View Full Version : Public Service Announcement (Updated)

imported_Terran Starek
Aug 26th, 2003, 09:02:15 AM
This is a Public Service Announcement from Terran Information Services:

Hi guys!

I wanted to pop in to say hello. Currently, I have several excuses (none of which, alone, will completely suffice to explain my dissapearance) for why I've been away. Some of you may have noticed. Some of you may not have! :p Anyway, here goes:

RA training went well, but it was some kind of busy, lemme tell ya. As I was trying to absorb the last moments of my dear, lazy summer, they were soon engulfed by a swelling, boisterous cloud of busy and hard work we call College. Just as training got over, we had 24 hours to prepare our floors for a hoarde of rugrats to overun the place. This is my second year as an RA, so it was old hat. Sadly, the hat is large and rather time consuming at the beginning of the year. The first few days were a whirlwind of busy getting everyone checked in and answering sixty-billion questions about internet and bed parts, and as soon as they were over, the second I had a moment to breath, school started. One word:

Latin.

It's a great language and I am enjoying it quite a bit, but it's difficult. It's quite archaic and draws little parrallel to English minus the fact that many of our words come from Latin. Be thankful that our conjugation and declination does not. :) It meets four times a week, I have homework every night, and I have two tests a week. With 12 other hours of credit plus it, the week can be a bit long.

To top things off, and to truly explain my absence, I have no internet. Our network (K-State's) has been infected by The Blaster Worm and is undergoing serious reparations and remodeling. My computer got infected and is fixed just fine, but two things have happened. 1) Haymaker Hall's ethernet ports (where I live) are requiring rewiring for some technical difficulties, and 2) With the Worm, our rewiring is the last thing on ResNet Computing's lists of 'to do.' Basically, this boils down to the statement I got from my boss: "Sit tight until we get it fixed, but it isn't gonna be soon." That sucks and has contibuted 75% to the reason I haven't at least been lurking much lately.

In conclusion, now that this novel is complete, my apologies to all RPs that I owe posting. I cannot garuntee I will get to them this week, but I can safely say that, if necessary, I will use the computer I'm on now (my boss') to get some posting done this weekend. Thank you for bearing with me. I miss you all and I hope you have a great week.

Si valetis, valeo,
Terran

Ryla Relvinian
Aug 26th, 2003, 09:29:49 AM
Senito aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

;)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 26th, 2003, 09:35:10 AM
have fun being an ra, bud. i could never do it, so muchos praises for you from me ^_^

and latin? i always wanted to learn that. you lucky duck, you

Silus Xilarian
Aug 26th, 2003, 09:42:18 AM
We're fightin when you get back , just to let ya know :)

L8r d00d

imported_Terran Starek
Aug 26th, 2003, 03:49:25 PM
Originally posted by Ryla Relvinian
Senito aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

;)

Whew!! I'm only four lessons of class in, Miss Relvinian. I'll have to put some serious work into that translation!! :D

As for Mr. Xilarian. . .I OWN YOU!!! :p

Charley
Aug 26th, 2003, 04:41:33 PM
I can't even remember my latin courses. The only real boon from it was to improve my english. As for conversational stuff, its this and not much else:

Acricola est in silva.

Xazor Elessar
Aug 26th, 2003, 05:54:12 PM
Awwww! It's okay babe! :D *Huggles* Take your time -- we'll all be patiently waiting for your return! In the mean time, try to relax a bit, okay? :D

BTW, Check your PMs.... ;)

Park Kraken
Aug 26th, 2003, 06:47:22 PM
I've always wanted to learn Japanese, namely because I used to watch all kinds of Japanimation with the subtitles, do research on Japanese Warships, and other stuff. Seems the only Japanese stuff I can memorize are the character, and ship names, and some of the curse words. :mad ................:D

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 26th, 2003, 07:06:48 PM
japanese is a fun language, if not hard to learn. the vowels are pretty much the same, just with different pronunciations. and then youve got the actual writing of the language itself. theres technically four ways

1) katagana - basically created to make it easier for the middle class to write

2) hiragana - the traditional written language

3) kanji - written chinese, though the japanese have taken it and use it as well

4) romaji - the use of the english alphabet to phonetically spell words and whatnot for us english peoples

1 and 2 though, im not too sure about, i always get them mixed up

i know bare minimum conversational japanese, though i have yet to use it in any practical situations that call for it. honestly, youre better off learning spanish or ebonics or some other language thats used with more frequency. its helped me. thats not to say dont learn any other languages, im just saying theres a good chance youll use more spanish than japanese depending on where you live in the country

imported_Kanji
Aug 26th, 2003, 07:27:01 PM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
japanese is a fun language, if not hard to learn. the vowels are pretty much the same, just with different pronunciations. and then youve got the actual writing of the language itself. theres technically four ways

1) katagana - basically created to make it easier for the middle class to write

2) hiragana - the traditional written language

3) kanji - written chinese, though the japanese have taken it and use it as well

4) romaji - the use of the english alphabet to phonetically spell words and whatnot for us english peoples

1 and 2 though, im not too sure about, i always get them mixed up

i know bare minimum conversational japanese, though i have yet to use it in any practical situations that call for it. honestly, youre better off learning spanish or ebonics or some other language thats used with more frequency. its helped me. thats not to say dont learn any other languages, im just saying theres a good chance youll use more spanish than japanese depending on where you live in the country

Ssssomeone call? :huh

I've basically hit the fan with languages, three-so years of forced spanish and one year of forced french really killed the urdge to learn a foreign language. Now, my highschool offered Japanese for a short while but cut ti when the cost didn't compare with the want ratio (Not enough students signed up, so wasn't worth paying the sat' charges to teach it...) |I

Charley
Aug 27th, 2003, 01:12:31 AM
2 years of Latin

1 year of Italian

1 year of German (plus 8 years of german friends)

Speech given in Russian

Speech given in Chinese

Thats my credentials :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 27th, 2003, 03:34:35 AM
I took Italian and Hebrew, neither of which I remember much of. Got A's, however. ^_^;

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 27th, 2003, 03:52:09 AM
7 Years of French (before we were doing it at school, I was learning it at a weekend class), 3 of Spanish, 2 of German, and I forced myself to learn to count to 10 in Thai.

PS Hello Terran :wave

Crystal
Aug 27th, 2003, 06:53:02 AM
I took french for like a week in middle school, then transfered over to another class :x

And Warren once tried to teach me how to say something about stabbing a fork in someone's eye in spanish o_O

Stuff I don't understand scares me, that includes anything other than english.

Lion El' Jonson
Aug 27th, 2003, 08:10:42 AM
Originally posted by Admiral Kraken
I've always wanted to learn Japanese, namely because I used to watch all kinds of Japanimation with the subtitles, do research on Japanese Warships, and other stuff. Seems the only Japanese stuff I can memorize are the character, and ship names, and some of the curse words. :mad ................:D

*Knows Japanese...sort-of...:lol*

If you can learn either Mandarin, Japanese, or Korean, you can nail the other two languages with little effort. Understanding Japanese is no problem, but trying to learn the characters will most likely drive you through the roof in frustration, due to tiny mistakes turning, for instance, "man" into "mountain"...:D

imported_Terran Starek
Aug 31st, 2003, 06:50:29 PM
OK, so I have updated.

My schedule is pretty rough, but I should be poking my head around the boards a little more often now. Just thought I'd kinda check in again. I hope everyone's doing well.