PDA

View Full Version : Ouch.

Ishan Shade
Aug 17th, 2003, 08:25:36 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/08/17/roller.coaster.death.ap/index.html

Can you imagine seeing that?? omg...talk about gruesome...

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Aug 17th, 2003, 08:29:58 PM
this line is bad: Smith said grief counselors were on hand but that the fair continued after the incident.

can't they at least shut down for a bit?

Shawn
Aug 17th, 2003, 08:32:37 PM
Unfortunately, that's not the first time that's happened. I've been hearing about similar incidents for years. Those amusement park rides are dangerous.

Ishan Shade
Aug 17th, 2003, 08:37:30 PM
But yet....so fun.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Aug 17th, 2003, 08:42:54 PM
one funny one I remember though, Fabio gets hit in the face by I think it was a duck on a ride......

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 17th, 2003, 08:44:07 PM
i have friends who live on whidbey island :|

Charley
Aug 17th, 2003, 08:53:17 PM
Guess that qualifies for being a hair-raising experience.

Park Kraken
Aug 17th, 2003, 09:35:57 PM
What type of Fence was it? Was he maimed, or was it a type of fence that broke his back?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 17th, 2003, 09:41:46 PM
darlin, he fell forty feet, back first onto a fence. it doesnt matter what kind it was, the guys dead. D-E-D dead

Park Kraken
Aug 17th, 2003, 09:51:24 PM
Did he bounce off the fence, or was he stuck in place? Did he die instantly, or was he groaning, and coughing up blood for a short while?

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Aug 17th, 2003, 09:55:47 PM
morbid bugger....doesn't say so we dun know.....

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 17th, 2003, 09:59:11 PM
Did he bounce off the fence, or was he stuck in place? Did he die instantly, or was he groaning, and coughing up blood for a short while?

does it really matter? i mean, hes pushing up daisies as it is

Park Kraken
Aug 17th, 2003, 10:03:07 PM
I always take interest when people suffer such horrible fates such as this one. I try to picture what happened to them.
One death in particular I am trying to forget happened in my town, a woman was helping some men load sticks, and stuff into a city mulcher, when she got stuck in it, and was pulled in. They couldn't find a piece of her larger than her thumb. The pile of mulch was sooooo red they said.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 17th, 2003, 10:14:02 PM
thats... sick >_<

Park Kraken
Aug 17th, 2003, 10:18:12 PM
It was.......Gruesome when I heard about it.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 17th, 2003, 10:35:25 PM
o_O ... youre a creepy child

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 17th, 2003, 10:57:09 PM
:x Kraken you scare me

Park Kraken
Aug 18th, 2003, 12:11:30 AM
Child? Hello? I'm 18 now!!! Adult!!! :-)

Have I finally become more scarier than Dru?
Because if not........*Digs into memory files section*

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 18th, 2003, 12:12:49 AM
Dru has never been scary... o_O He's my favorite. :love

*turns to other people* and so are all of YOU too! ^_^;

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 18th, 2003, 12:14:26 AM
... o_O

you are a child. what i say goes. especially after 4 beers. or 6. i dont remember

Park Kraken
Aug 18th, 2003, 12:14:34 AM
*Finds file on Aztec sacrafice methods*
Well, am I the scariest person on this board?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 18th, 2003, 12:18:34 AM
um, not really

if i was you, id quit while i was ahead

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Aug 18th, 2003, 01:21:35 AM
yeah, that takes awhile to become.....:) :lol

Zasz Grimm
Aug 18th, 2003, 02:57:08 AM
Originally posted by Admiral Kraken
*Finds file on Aztec sacrafice methods*
Well, am I the scariest person on this board?

Seriously...

SHUT THE HELL UP, NO ONE CARES!

Naj Arilov
Aug 18th, 2003, 06:21:45 AM
Neo R mad

imported_Marcus
Aug 18th, 2003, 07:01:41 AM
-_-

Right, that's it, Kraken goes into the ignore pile on every account I have. Your comments are not funny

And comments on the article -

WHAT was he doing working on the ride while it was working? That's just bad safety practices, not the fault of the ride itself. I dont know what it's like in the USA, but in Aust, because of public liability insurance being so expensive and demanding to get for amusement rides, safety standards are actually very high. Qualified inspectors must examine the ride every year, critical parts are X-Rayed and the ride operators must be of good character and competent. Work Cover in NSW does the inspections and they dont much around. That's where my father worked before he retired and they really do make sure their inspections are complete before licencing a ride for action. Plus, there has to be fail safes in place. Plus I'm sure the operator has to have a dead man's handle that will shut the ride down if he leaves the controls.

Castaspropice (sp) failures are very rare.

The to destructive testing to make sure components will take the load (I think they request for example in the case of shear pins, to be strong enough to cope with 20* normal force) is spectacular.

ReaperFett
Aug 18th, 2003, 01:47:01 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Dru has never been scary... o_O He's my favorite. :love

*turns to other people* and so are all of YOU too! ^_^;
I heard that! :cry *runs off*

:)

Park Kraken
Aug 18th, 2003, 02:38:47 PM
That won't save you Marcus. I can just keep on creating more accounts over and over again.

Vega Van-Derveld
Aug 18th, 2003, 02:42:53 PM
And they'll be banned over and over again ;)

Charley
Aug 18th, 2003, 02:46:45 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Kraken
That won't save you Marcus. I can just keep on creating more accounts over and over again.

Take five from the internet.

Loki Ahmrah
Aug 18th, 2003, 02:55:09 PM
Originally posted by Agent Charley
Take five from the internet.

Years. Did he groan or bounce when he fell on the fence? I've never heard anything so stupid.

That really is a gruesome story but I have to agree with Marcus, why in God's name was he working on it while it was operating?

And finally. (Waves flag for being Holly's favourite! :crack)

Charley
Aug 18th, 2003, 03:00:24 PM
It isn't like America is some barbaric land where safety rules and procedures don't exist. Idiots abound in all countries, and people often choose to ignore things. You act like we have a market share on morons here or something.

Vega Van-Derveld
Aug 18th, 2003, 03:01:57 PM
You have more people there. Larger amount of idiots.

Gav Mortis
Aug 18th, 2003, 03:03:15 PM
Just to clarify, I actually only read the first bit of Marcus' post. My agreeance with him goes as far as the comment about bad safety practises, nothing about America. ^_^;

(Dodges rotten vegetables)

imported_Marcus
Aug 18th, 2003, 04:29:01 PM
Actually, I wasnt questioning the USA practice, I was only stating what it's like in aust - sort of saying these rides are generally safe. To clarify, I would imagine similar procedures are used. Least, I hope so but I have no idea. No comment on the amount of idiots anywhere.

Cause really, you can do all you can to train and protect but idiots will be idiots and do stupid things. Genuine accidents of course occur, in most cases common sense will prevent.

This really is a case where common sense was conspicuosly absent.

Park Kraken
Aug 18th, 2003, 04:30:16 PM
I think there is a simpler way to resolve this. Just stop talking nasty, I'll stop arguing.

Figrin D'an
Aug 18th, 2003, 04:32:10 PM
I can guarentee that around a dozen OHSA violations occured that lead up to the incident. There's no way something like that happens if proper procedure is followed.

I have trouble feeling any pity for the victim of this, because it sounds like he was a complete moron.

Ishan Shade
Aug 18th, 2003, 04:44:16 PM
If he fell from 40 feet up, he was probably impaled by just about any type of fence...since most have posts or somethign along those lines.

Either way, its a bad way to go out.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 18th, 2003, 05:10:06 PM
Why do people argue in the first place? *sigh*

Charley
Aug 18th, 2003, 05:39:45 PM
I've ridden dozens upon dozens of coasters, and I've never even once seen a hint of a safety faux pas, so I'd contend that they're reasonably safe in that regard. Z force (years ago) in Atlanta had either an injury or a fatality, but that coaster was torn down and replaced by the ninja.

Figrin D'an
Aug 18th, 2003, 08:08:10 PM
The Z-Force design was flawed... Six Flags tore them down at all of their parks (it was at 4 or 5 of their facilities). There were several rider injuries on them, so it went the way of the dodo. Beyond that... I've heard of very few coaster accidents. The Demon at Six Flags Great America (near Chicago) got stuck upside down in one of the 360 degree loops once, but nobody got hurt... just some headaches from hanging upside down for about 45 minutes.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Aug 18th, 2003, 08:10:23 PM
don't really remember many accidents myself, I know the idiotic lady who got out of the boat and wandered in It's a Small world got crushed between two boats but as far as theme parks go, that's the only one I remember......

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 18th, 2003, 08:14:36 PM
That's a terrible accident. The worst thing I've seen as far as that stuff goes at amusement parks was when someone threw up before getting on a ride. But it was indeed awfully hot that day.

But of course my story can't hold a candle to this one. That's just plain awful.

Zasz Grimm
Aug 18th, 2003, 08:50:07 PM
In Dallas (Six Flags over Texas) the 'Titan' ( Known as Goliath in other parks) was making a usual run, just getting started. If anyone has ridden this thing, they know it's huge. And right as it starts to come over the very top (Talking 20 + stories or something, probably wrong on my guestimation.)..and it stops. Got stuck for about 2 hours.

They had to unlock the seats and have the people crawl out of the coasters, to the side of the ride, and walk down all those steps.

I'd be so scared. :(

imported_Marcus
Aug 18th, 2003, 09:00:00 PM
I doubt I'd be. But then again, coasters and other rides really dont give me any pause for worry and in fact I find most quite boring. The other real problem I have is that most rides cant lock me in properly so I do move around too much - I prefer to be properly strapped in and not knocked about. There is a ride in Queensland that did manage to get the heart rate up, but that also had a great restraint system. A proper harness rather than a locking bar.

Given all that tho, slides are more my style of amusement park fun.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Aug 18th, 2003, 09:05:48 PM
yeah, I prefer a harness myself though I rode Ninja at Magic mountain once where one wasn't quite right on my smaller frame since I was kinda small being oh 11 at the time, sis had to hold it the whole ride so it would stay down at my level and not too high, was kinda scary like that, but the guy insisted it would be fine.....

Lion El' Jonson
Aug 19th, 2003, 08:40:58 AM
At Six Flags Marine World, 40 minutes from where I live in California, this kid lost his hat to the wind. He climbed over a clearly labeled "Do Not Cross" Fence, complete with barbed wire and bright yellow signs with pictures. If that wasn't enough, maybe the presence of a loud, fast, orange, inverted rollercoaster would have been a deterent.

But nooooo. The boy climbed the fence, and was in the process of retrieving his 12 dollar hat when the bright orange inverted coaster car screamed overhead, legs dangling from it. A woman's leg kicked him in the head at such velocity that her leg shattered. The kid's head caved in in a way normally only witnessed by Army Snipers firing .50 caliber ammunition. Needless to say, he was pronounced braindead, and then just plain dead.

Chalk up one for the Darwin Awards...:lol

Lion El' Jonson
Aug 19th, 2003, 08:47:09 AM
And ride "Delerium" at Paramount's Great America, if you ever come here to CA. Picture spinning upside down while being swung back and forth. Or, perhaps...Drop Zone?

13 stories in 4 seconds: They had to install a shield above you because people's barf usually landed after the ride had come to a complete stop, with predictable results. I rode it once with a penny on my lap, and the penny started floating. Pretty damn cool.