PDA

View Full Version : Freddy vs Jason

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 17th, 2003, 12:07:09 PM
So who has seen it? It looks like a hit heck it made more money in one weekend than the last Jason and last Freddy movie combined and it will make anywhere from 80-100 and I call that a huge hit. Still the bad news is there will be a sequel (you know its going to happen). Rumor has it that they are looking in bringing in another horror icon I here two possibilities, Michael Myers or Ash from evil dead. The Ash one could be funny I could see Bruce Campbell taking on the two of them :p Michael Myers could be interesting though he has a disavantage he is alive.

ReaperFett
Aug 17th, 2003, 12:12:38 PM
Ash rules all, and would kill all :D

Charley
Aug 17th, 2003, 12:36:48 PM
My friends all went and got totally drunk, then went to a late show on Friday. I wished I was there :(

Jinn Fizz
Aug 17th, 2003, 03:58:57 PM
I will probably go check it out next weekend...it will be my one completely guilty, silly pleasure of the summer. I will be rooting for Freddy, since I've always liked him best. :cool

New Line must be thrilled with the BO results this weekend. I can't imagine anyone thought it would do as good as this. Sure, it will drop off steeply next weekend, but still, it's made a terrific amount of money. Plus it will do well in some overseas markets, and it will also no doubt do well on home video.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Aug 17th, 2003, 04:04:53 PM
One of my girls and her boyfriend went to see it. They havent come back yet but when they do, I'll tell all :) sort of

Droo
Aug 17th, 2003, 05:33:26 PM
I will not be going to see this film. I love horror movies but for some reason the people who write and direct them these days thinks that a good horror movie is one with loads of gore and bits to make you jump. Wrong. I want a horror movie with a great and (gasp) original storyline which has characters you will genuinly care about played by talented actors. In short, I think the whole Freddy vs. Jason idea is completely retarded. It sounds like a cheesy computer game or something, taking two well-known horror movie characters and putting them in Street Fighter.

I wish they would leave the Halloween series to rest now. I love 1, 2 and 7 but I refuse to acknowledge Resurrection. If they do make a sequel to this abomination, then I hope they use Ash. Poor Michael Myers has been butchered enough, leave him to rest.

ReaperFett
Aug 17th, 2003, 05:53:47 PM
I love the premise of vs movies. Take two ideas, square em off. It's fantasy football, with movies :D

Charley
Aug 17th, 2003, 08:08:27 PM
What Fett said. This movie != real horror genre, so its pretty much a different animal.

CMJ
Aug 17th, 2003, 08:49:44 PM
I just got back. Was it great cinema? Hell no. Was it fun? Oh hell yes! I LOVED it.

If you grew up with these series, you'll enjoy the hell out of it. If you've always hated these movies, skip it. This one is for the fans...and it delivers in spades.

One of the best(if not THE best) of both series.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 17th, 2003, 09:05:14 PM
Cool, CMJ I have to go see it does look like one of those guilty pleasure movies :)

CMJ
Aug 17th, 2003, 09:08:41 PM
Oh dude, people were laughing and cheering at the screen. During the showdowns the theatre was split 50/50 with the rooting interest. Folks were cheering and booing with whoever had the advantage.

Pure popcorn fun. :D

Jinn Fizz
Aug 17th, 2003, 09:16:18 PM
Okay, if CMJ loved it, then I'm defnitely going to see it! :)

My only regret will be that I seriously doubt any crowd I see it with here will be as vocal as the one you described, CMJ. Audiences here are usually pretty reserved and dull, unfortunately. But I'll try to be a one-person rooting section for Freddy. :D

CMJ
Aug 17th, 2003, 09:22:10 PM
Fans of both villains should be happy I think. Even though there is a "winner". It's set up for a sequel...big time.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 17th, 2003, 09:23:30 PM
No surprise there, I will defently catch it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 17th, 2003, 10:53:22 PM
I've never seen any movie out of either of those sequels. Actually I've never seen a Halloween movie or an Evil Dead one either. soo... I'll be skipping it gleefully. :)

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Aug 17th, 2003, 10:59:07 PM
My daughter got home before I did and when I returned, she was asleep, lol.

CMJ beat me to it, anyway :)

Kharis
Aug 18th, 2003, 03:51:46 AM
Agreed with Dru. Today's horror well actually of the genre's last 23 years of cinema has lost far too much of it's artistic focus. Replacing solid storylines and character development for cheap gore and sophomoric cheap thrills.

I haven't seen Jason vs Freddy but will be catching it later this afternoon. People at my work loved it. If there is a sequel, I also think they should leave Myers alone. Freddy and Jason still have nothing on him. None of today's horror icons can measure up to the Laura Strode/Dr. Loomis/Michael Myers triangle. A killer soundtrack and a genuine story puts that one head and shoulders above the rest of the slasher genre. (Save perhaps Peeping Tom, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Psycho, and Les Yeux sans Visage.)

Ash? I find this icon not at all difficult to envision opposite of Jason and Freddy. But it would be very entertaining between Ash and Freddy as they can exchange sarcastic quips. And imagine what Ash would make of the mute rotting behemoth Jason. Hahaha!

I am going into the theatre not expecting much but pure popcorn entertainment.

CMJ
Aug 18th, 2003, 10:30:51 AM
All you need to know about how unseriously this movie takes itself(which is why it's so much damn fun to begin with) is this line uttered by a character after Jason disposes of alot of kids at a midnight rave.

''That goalie was <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont>ed about something!''

:lol :lol :lol

ReaperFett
Aug 18th, 2003, 11:33:31 AM
:lol!

I want to see it now :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 18th, 2003, 11:37:29 AM
Saw that in the trailer. :)

Kharis
Aug 18th, 2003, 02:00:27 PM
Myers/Freddy/Jason will never happen because the Halloween franchise is owned by another studio. Simply put, Dimension Films would never allow it. And Akkad is still milking the series for all it's worth with another movie in the works.

Ash is very doubtful and probably just subject to the rumourmills.

Ryla Relvinian
Aug 18th, 2003, 02:17:39 PM
I hate horror movies and will not go see any of them. The closest things to horror I've ever watched was Scream 1 wherin I was not impressed. I'm glad y'all like them, but they're not for me. :)

CMJ
Aug 18th, 2003, 02:43:31 PM
FvJ was more of a dark comedy than a real horror movie.

BUFFJEDI
Aug 19th, 2003, 10:30:01 AM
I have to agree with CMJ,it is more of a dark comedy than Horror. I have alway's thought of all the Nightmare on elm streets as dark comedy.Freddy was never scary but very dang funny.
Anyway this movie is so far the best of 2003. If you go just for absolute fun and expect NOTHING you will enjoy.

Now as much as I enjoy All of the Friday 13th Films, I would NEVER put Jason or freddy in the same league as Micheal the Ulitimate Boogy man Myers . And as stated before I doubt dimension would allow it.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 19th, 2003, 11:16:54 AM
Dimension might they would have to take part of the profits. Dimension is no big studio if they thought they could make more money out of it they do it.

BUFFJEDI
Aug 19th, 2003, 12:22:59 PM
You know what, I never thought about that Jmc :\ Money rules all

But I think it would be a Bigger battle between studio's as to which Monster would win. I would go with Micheal of course. Who would the rest of you pick between the big three

Dae Jinn
Aug 19th, 2003, 01:19:32 PM
Okay, I went and saw this on opening night, in spite of the black-out. I'm not a huge Freddy fan (only seen The Final Nightmare, the last sequel of the Elm Street movies) but I've seen every Jason movie at least twice (usually more. Go me!).

I thought they could have had MORE Jason, but he doesn't speak, whereas Freddy can have *witty* wisecracking lines. It's so not scary, I was laughing during the whole thing. It's corny, with lots of splatter gore, and was more like the older movies IMO. (IE. people do incredibly stupid things, but not as stupid as what happened in Jason X :lol)

I hated Halloween. There was only one scary scene in it, and it wasn't even that scary. Out of the 3, I'd hope Jason would win :p

CMJ
Aug 19th, 2003, 01:52:15 PM
More Jason? He killed *way* more people(not sure he's ever been cooler) - what else could you have wanted? ;)

I thought they both had about equal screen time. Fans of both series, as well as those who are fond of both, should not be disappointed IMHO.

Dae Jinn
Aug 19th, 2003, 02:00:20 PM
I was hoping they would use the actor who played Jason in Part 8 and Jason X, Kane Hodder, for this one. He's my favorite man behind the mask. The guy they had in this one was good, but he didn't seem big enough.

My favorite kill has to be in Jason Goes to Manhattan (Part 8), where he punches off the guys head, and it falls into the dumpster. Or when he kills the drug-addict with a needle through the chest. The one kill in FvJ was way too over the top, IMO. The one with the bed :lol

And he only killed more people because Freddy was trapped in his Nightmare realm for half the film:p

I'd have to say though, my least favorite of all the Jason films is and always will be Part 7. With it's psychic powers that don't fit in with the entire rest of the series :x

ReaperFett
Aug 19th, 2003, 03:08:32 PM
Well, it is this or Tomb Raider 2 on Thursday for me. Not seen any Jason's, not liked any Freddy's, loved the original Tomb Raider.........but a film with "vs" in the title? Me sold :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 19th, 2003, 03:21:40 PM
TR2 = not very good

ReaperFett
Aug 19th, 2003, 03:36:30 PM
Is that dull not very good, or Purple Rain not very good? :)

Kharis
Aug 19th, 2003, 06:05:37 PM
I have just seen the movie and will add I was disappointed in how unorginal and uncreative the movie was. The acting was bad and the script too unremarkable. FvJ has plot holes up the cahoonie as the rising body count is not treated in realistic precedural manner. I know this is just supposed to be a rollicking good fun horror movie but characters moved everywhere unattended by the authorities. Too dumbed down. And the action starts alot later into the film than I would have wished.

One thing that was cool was Freddy performing some martial arts on Jason.

But FvJ really lacks a decent build-up thanks to it's hideously bland screenplay. The movie felt like it was only dryly going through the motions instead of genuinely putting forth a slick and witty effort to entertain the viewer. Thumbs down!

Ardath Bey
Aug 19th, 2003, 07:45:02 PM
Uninspired is the word that best befits FvJ's overall summary.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 19th, 2003, 08:18:46 PM
Almost Purple Rain, not quite. Not better than the original by a long shot.

Dae Jinn
Aug 19th, 2003, 10:23:36 PM
FvJ was damn funny. If I wanted to go see some cinematic master-piece, I'd have gone to see something else.

And, yeah, the storyline for the movie isn't great, but it's FREDDY VS JASON!!! It's not meant to be "smart" :p

Ardath Bey
Aug 19th, 2003, 11:26:27 PM
Yeah, the movie had it's funny moments such as when Freddy appeared as the caterpillar from Alice and Wonderland. That was hilarious. I just wish KvJ would have done more justice to the Jason and the F13 franchise. The movie was a retread of a typical NOES movie, but Jason of course sharing the role with the usual gifted young dreamwarrior female protagonist. And what was the point of the sheriff's deputy admission about Jason. And who was he anyways, guess we'll never find out, being he was fried to death and all. It almost like script called for an additional subplot and then decided to abandon it. Rather lame build-up to Jason's relevence to our hapless teenagers. Another horrid aggravation is the fact about all these mysterious characters kept popping in and only contributing to further confusion. That stunk about FvJ is all the loose ends that were never tied-up. And every character too rich in the implausible.

ReaperFett
Aug 21st, 2003, 10:49:53 AM
Seen it, enjoyed it. Don't see it for horror, see it for the laughs.

My only problem was the "good guys" DEATH SPOILERS - Basically, there were too many who died giving too little. In about five minutes, they killed one girls boyfriend and his friend...WHY? You didn't need TWO deaths there, they might as well have not used one. And take the geek. What did he do? After leaving the asylum, he basically stood with Kelly Rowland and did what she did, before a bad death. WHy even use him? Ditto the sherrif. I understand having him to explain Jason to the kids, but why fry him so suddenly? To me, they should leave some characters alive sometimes, instead of killing everyone but the main parts.

Having said this, Rowlands death ruled :D

And the best line?
"Tilt!"
:D

Ardath Bey
Aug 21st, 2003, 02:10:46 PM
Yeah, it was an amusing movie but suffered too many loose ends and an anemic plot. Largely ignored developing the Jason/Freddy/human protagonists relationship with one another.

CMJ
Aug 21st, 2003, 02:17:42 PM
I've seen very few slasher films with a well thought out plot. I knew I was getting cinematic junk food when I saw FvJ and that's all it was. It really delivered though.

Ardath Bey
Aug 21st, 2003, 02:35:30 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
I've seen very few slasher films with a well thought out plot. I knew I was getting cinematic junk food when I saw FvJ and that's all it was. It really delivered though.

But don't you think it could have centered more attention in areas it was obviously weak in detail? And developed those better? Therefore strengthening the plot more.

CMJ
Aug 21st, 2003, 02:38:26 PM
Actually I thought the film was spectacularly fun and engaging. It was a homage to the not so glorious past of the hack and slash legacy. Sometimes, you just have to check your brain at the door....I loved it.

And this is coming from someone who has been called a film snob on this very board in the past.

Ardath Bey
Aug 21st, 2003, 02:53:58 PM
Hmm, I felt the film should have firmly rooted itself in each franchise legend rather than merely skim over it. And the characters could have been more directly connected into that. I guess I was expecting more nostalgic slasher horror mixed with a equal amount of humour. Now, I am starting sound like some geeky fanboy when all this movie was is F13 and NOES crossover for crissakes, but at least I know what I am trying to say. lol

Not a fan of either series BTW.

Mortaniuss
Aug 29th, 2003, 11:03:07 AM
It had a few flaws, in that it could have tied in the two franchises a little better. Perhaps maybe include some of the major characters. I would have loved to seen them include Nancy somehow, for example. Flashback, Dream, ghost... whatever. The first half of the film felt more like all of these other modern horror films such as Final Destination 2, and I was kind of turned off at that for a while. But once the fighting started in earnest, I enjoyed it.

For all of the problems, real or imagined, some of you may have with the film, look at it this way: The story was little more than a vehicle to get the two of them to square off. Sure, I would have liked a little bit of a story, as well. But the movie is still pretty good, for what it is.

BUFFJEDI
Aug 29th, 2003, 11:55:45 AM
Originally posted by Mortaniuss

But the movie is still pretty good, for what it is.

That one line sums it up

Master Yoghurt
Aug 30th, 2003, 03:11:57 PM
I think the stupidity in these series make them more funny than scary, but I guess that could be a viewed as entertainment too. Its the same thing with splatter movies

Crystal
Aug 30th, 2003, 05:22:43 PM
Saw it..
I'm a big fan of the orginal Nighmare series, and I've seen a few of the Friday the 13th movies.

I was really excited to know they were finally making a Freddy VS Jason movie, been waiting for one ever since Jason Goes to Hell.

The first half of the movie: I thought it was alright, but it didn't quite feel like either of the series'. Wasn't very memorable either. I just seemed too much like a regular teen slasher flick, it didn't need Freddy and Jason, it could have had some random killer(s). And what the heck was with the Jay wannabe and the smoking catapiller? o_O .. okay, he was cool when freddy took over his body or whatever

The second half:

This part was alot better, especially when they got into the actual fighting.

Over all I think I liked the movie..but it could have been more. Could have been worse though :)

I would have loved to seen them include Nancy somehow, for example. Flashback, Dream, ghost... whatever.

Would have been awsome if Nancy was in there.. :\ Or her father working with the police, if he wasn't dead.

Jinn Fizz
Aug 31st, 2003, 03:21:11 PM
Originally posted by CMJ

I agree with you 100%, CMJ.

Finally saw the movie today, and enjoyed it tremendously. I haven't seen a completely mindless, goofy popcorn movie like this for ages, and I really, really needed it. I've been having an extremely stressful and upsetting time at work recently, so seeing FvJ was very cathartic, and a hell of a lot of fun! :crack

My oh my, but half the budget on this movie must've been for the Karo syrup, so much blood! But I loved it! Yeah, it wasn't perfect....I was confused at times about the subplot with the guys who had been in the mental hospital, and I was sorry to see the sheriff guy and the nerdy kid get it,, but heck, that's what movies like this are generally all about. Dark, sick fun.

I really liked the scene where Jason showed up at the rave party...seeing him walk through the cornfield on fire, leaving the wake of fire behind him, was pretty nifty. And Freddy using Jason as a giant pinball, oh yeah, "Tilt!" was definitely one of the best lines in the movie. Oh, and I was actually really surprised that Kelly Rowland's character got it in the end, but at least she went out with some style, eh? ;)

I also agree that fans of both franchises should be very happy...both characters got a great deal of screen time. And although there was a "winner" at the end (boo, hiss, I was rooting for Freddy!), it still made it clear that a sequel will be showing up sooner or later. I'll go see it for sure! :)

Oh, and I have to give New Line some props for the Texas Chainsaw Massacre trailer that was shown before FvJ...best use of sound I've heard in a trailer for a long time. It unnerved people in the theater today, because it really sounded like someone was being chased around the theater. Cool stuff.

CMJ
Aug 31st, 2003, 04:14:56 PM
Glad you liked it too Jinn Fizz. Honestly it's probably one of my favorite movies of the year so far. One of the guilty pleasures of all time for my money.

Ardath Bey
Aug 31st, 2003, 09:27:37 PM
Funny, people loved FvJ yet blasted Jason X which I felt was a funnier and more entertaining film.

Dae Jinn
Aug 31st, 2003, 09:34:32 PM
Jason X was almost as bad as Part VII for not fitting in the time-line set by the movies before it.
And Jinn -- Did you miss Freddys' wink wink at the end? There was no "winner" :lol

CMJ
Aug 31st, 2003, 09:40:41 PM
Nah, there was a winner...the very end just set in motion the sequel. :p

Ardath Bey
Aug 31st, 2003, 09:42:06 PM
Time-lines, schmine-lines, :) This is F13, Jason X had some great tongue-in-cheek material. Especially with the artificial girl. :lol

Dae Jinn
Aug 31st, 2003, 09:48:13 PM
I HATED HER. That was soooooooooooo lame. From what I remember, there wasn't that much blood and gore either. The best was the VR sim, IMO.

Cheesy one liners by a robo-girl do not make for a good F13 film. Cheesy one-liners by soon to be slaughter teens is though ;)

What does is...

Bodies through windows, a barn, getting stabbed through a bed, people who have pre-marital sex, drink or do drugs, those same people dying in predictable ways, one pure and innocent "hero" (or heros) who survives the entire onslaught, Jason showing up out-of-the-blue. It's all classic stuff that repeats in each film, with the exception of VII and X.

Jinn Fizz
Aug 31st, 2003, 10:06:14 PM
Dae--Heck no, didn't miss the wink wink, as a matter of fact, I had a feeling that was coming. I interpret that final scene as saying that Jason was the winner--for now--but Freddy's wink wink was the definite setting up for a sequel. Kind of like, I may be down, but I'm certainly not out yet. ;)

Oh, and it was interesting to see the number of boys about 10 years old in the theater today :\. It was kind of funny, though, because in the scene in the beginning where we got the first glimpse of naked boobies in the movie, one of the boys thought the sight of naked boobies was pretty cool. :lol

CMJ
Aug 31st, 2003, 10:08:01 PM
Originally posted by Jinn Fizz
It was kind of funny, though, because in the scene in the beginning where we got the first glimpse of naked boobies in the movie, one of the boys thought the sight of naked boobies was pretty cool. :lol

:lol Smart kid! :lol

Dae Jinn
Aug 31st, 2003, 10:46:14 PM
lmao!

I know, Jinn -- We can expect FvJ 2 sometime in the future, probably.

Mortaniuss
Sep 1st, 2003, 05:23:27 AM
I honestly was rolling with laughter during Jason X. I loved it, as well. Especially towards the end:

"Quick, we need to distract him!"

Me: "What are they going to do, throw topless campers at him?"

(cue two camping chicks, who promptly remove their tops)

Ardath Bey
Sep 1st, 2003, 11:29:18 AM
:lol funny stuff

The two horror sequels that had alot of fun on their predecessor's expense is Jason X and my personal fav ... Texas Chainsaw Massacre II.

The film was an obvious self parody and escalating into a very bloody, did I say bloody, climax in a barrel of laughs. Featuring Dennis Hopper as a former Texas Marshall ... Lientenant "Lefty" Enright. :lol

Also a stellar performance by Bill Moseley as Choptop Sawyer, also lifts the movie above most gorehound black comedies.

Choptop: "Lick my Plate!"