PDA

View Full Version : Bootleg/Scam question in Boxoffice

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 15th, 2003, 03:36:33 PM
It is about this thread

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31376

Me and Figrin think its a scam, and if it is should we close it? Also it might be a real (although poor copy )DVD version is that legal?

Shawn
Aug 15th, 2003, 03:47:13 PM
Doesn't really sound like a scam, but it's very probably illegal. However, since he didn't provide a link to where you can buy them or anything like that, I suppose it's alright for you to discuss these bootlegs, even if it's to say "Hey, bootlegs are bad, mmk?"

Charley
Aug 15th, 2003, 04:12:36 PM
I deleted those links, because I thought they were links to purchase the bootleg. If I made a mistake, whoops. I erred on the side of caution.

Shawn
Aug 15th, 2003, 04:57:30 PM
That's perfectly fine. I was just saying that his post, sans links, can stay open for the moment. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 15th, 2003, 05:00:03 PM
Ok thats a good deal. The site that he had listed originally seem kind of odd to me it didn't seem legit at all like there was a scam going on but either way it doesn't matter now since the links have been removed.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 15th, 2003, 05:02:15 PM
Well I got this from Figrin in a PM

I have reason to believe that the person whom initated this thread:

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showt...&threadid=31376

is at least partly involved with the website linked in the first post, and is attempting to advertise pirated/illegal products. An IP check indicates that the user originates from the same part of Budapest, Hungary as the registered adminstrator of the domains in question. Suffice to say... even if said website's claims are legal, the thread is still considered spam by board definitions. I can provide evidence if necessary.

My apologies if I have overstepped my bounds... as I am not a mod on the board proper... but this situation seems extremely suspect to me.

So removing the links was a good thing. Question is what to do about the poster. Can we ban him if all he is doing here is trying to sell his junk.

Charley
Aug 15th, 2003, 05:09:36 PM
I'd be for it. That's risk we don't need.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 15th, 2003, 05:19:33 PM
Yeah he will probably be posting more threads most likely. If the only reason the guy is here is to try to sell illegal stuff than we should ban him.

Shawn
Aug 15th, 2003, 07:24:40 PM
Agreed. I doubt he'll even post again, outside of that thread. But if he does continue to advertise/spam, he's outta here.