PDA

View Full Version : Another Grimm ?

Zasz Grimm
Aug 14th, 2003, 05:25:00 PM
Plan of Attack (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31348)

I am wanting to know why one of the characters has my own's last name. Explain. Now.

Charley
Aug 14th, 2003, 05:27:55 PM
Last I checked, there isn't a monopoly on last names, otherwise I would have long-since cast James Prent and Dwayne Hicks into the fiery lakes of Hell for it.

Zasz Grimm
Aug 14th, 2003, 05:29:20 PM
I would have appreciated it if they had asked. I'm not saying I have a monopoly on it.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 14th, 2003, 05:30:38 PM
i used to date a guy whos last name was hicks. he used to live in texas, too

Morgan Evanar
Aug 14th, 2003, 05:55:28 PM
Originally posted by Zasz Grimm
I would have appreciated it if they had asked. I'm not saying I have a monopoly on it. Get over it. Seriously. The name isn't exactly original.

Crystal
Aug 14th, 2003, 05:55:39 PM
They probaly didn't think about it.. either they saw your name and liked it, or maybe they just though adding an m would be COOL!!

It's not like they stole something though since Grim's an actual word and you just added an m ;)

Edit: Oops. Morg beat me ^_^;

Phillip Evanar
Aug 14th, 2003, 06:04:06 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Get over it. Seriously. The name isn't exactly original.

Yeah, because wouldn't you hate it if someone took your last name, and used it for a character, without asking?

imported_Kanji
Aug 14th, 2003, 06:05:49 PM
Originally posted by Phillip Evanar
Yeah, because wouldn't you hate it if someone took your last name, and used it for a character, without asking?

That's really was not necessary.

ReaperFett
Aug 14th, 2003, 06:07:05 PM
Nor was Morg's post. Corners people :)

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 14th, 2003, 06:10:02 PM
As I have learned.. it is best for these to be taken to PM land... That is my suggestion :)

Lady Mylia
Aug 14th, 2003, 06:22:10 PM
Geez. . . I'm sure it's not really the crisis you make it out to be. . . we were just trying to think of a name for our evil fanged monster thing. We didn't know it was taken. . . sorry

Droo
Aug 14th, 2003, 06:22:19 PM
Perhaps a little more tact wouldn't go amiss. For example, if it were I who had used your name I most certainly wouldn't respond to "Explain. Now." Or am I mistaken and the individual in question happens to be a dog?

As for the topic at hand, it's not unheard of to see characters with similar first or last names, it happens but if you have that much of a problem with it take it to PM land as suggested. Discuss it between yourselves but understand that you haven't the right to force someone to change their character's name.

Edit: It's actually just a one name character, not even using the name as a second name, in retrospect your claim is actually quite outlandish.

Quay'Na Rakai
Aug 14th, 2003, 06:26:17 PM
it's my fault!! I'm the one that chose the name at work in a factory, sorry!!!! I had no idea, it just sounded good....

Zasz Grimm
Aug 14th, 2003, 06:26:54 PM
It's been taken care of via PM.

thanx for everyone's advice.

Evil Fanged Monster
Aug 14th, 2003, 06:27:56 PM
*jumps out and bites Grimm* chill out

Morgan Evanar
Aug 14th, 2003, 06:47:32 PM
Yeah, because wouldn't you hate it if someone took your last name, and used it for a character, without asking?Morgan was adopted, so it wouldn't be a huge deal.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 14th, 2003, 07:14:35 PM
I did it to Charley. And my character was adopted so it wasn't a big deal anyway. I mean, who's to say that Prent and Grimm aren't like the Smith and Johnson's of star wars??

I'm glad this has been dealt with and so maturely as well.

imported_Marcus
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:28:07 PM
Originally posted by Phillip Evanar

I've done it before and I'll do it again if I feel like it - I dont see what the issue is. If it's not for mocking or a sock puppet, I dont why you or any other person has monopoly on names. If someone tried an Elessar name, I'd only get annoyed if they claimed to be a IC relative. An Elessar from somewhere else in the Galaxy? Pffft, who cares. With countless trillions of beings I'm sure names get repeated all the time.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:47:56 PM
im kind of divided on this issue. on one hand i wouldnt like it in the least if someone registered an account with the last name being s'ilancy, and thats very largely due to the fact that its a name i feel rather attached to. As I'm sure lots of other rpers on the boards feel as such about there own chars.

of course my attachment is due to the fact that i came up with the name after several name cycling attempts, and have now been using the name for almost 7 years. if you dont believe me, i have the proof of it on my comp in the stories that ive thus far written. in fact, all if not most of my accounts are using names of characters i use in my stories; and some ive even let other people use. james and tchort being the only two i can think of at the moment.

now, does that mean i won't allow anyone to ever use names that i came up with? no. as long as im pmed beforehand to work something out, then i have no problem. although, that doesn't garauntee you a yes; ill say that first off. i may say no for many different reasons. nothing against whos asking, just my perogative.

and no, before anyone asks, you cant use the s'Ilancy name. its a rather special name, and id appreciate it if other rpers respected that, as i do my utmost best to adhere to their wishes.

of course, not that anyone would really want to use that name :p

Nathanial K'cansce
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:52:49 PM
I dunno... I'd be pretty miffed if someone registered a "Snack"-like name.

*bangs fist onto desk* Only one of me!

Pierce Tondry
Aug 14th, 2003, 10:11:25 PM
Regardless of how miffed one may be, there are ways to handle things that do not involve abruptness-bordering-on-rudeness. A simple request for information and casual informing of the parties in question is far more appropriate in such an instance. There's no real reason to leap someone with baseball bat swinging because they've looked at you funny.

Civility = a plus

Nathanial K'cansce
Aug 14th, 2003, 10:26:50 PM
Explain. Now.

Perhaps if he changed the 'now' to a 'Please', it'd be more civil?

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 14th, 2003, 10:35:30 PM
Bingo. Anyway if Charley had really wanted me to I'd of changed James' last name to something else...like Rent. :p

Nathanial K'cansce
Aug 14th, 2003, 10:45:58 PM
:lol Then people would get the musical in their heads everytime they saw that name :p

Anyway, even if Zasz did end his post with "please" instead of "now", I"m sure the whole "no one has a monopoly on their names" discussion would still have been brought up and made to make Zasz look in the wrong, civil or not.

Perhaps Navaria's suggestion, about it being put into a PM should have ben the first post to this thread, and had it end right there.

"This is best dealt with said person in question through a private messanging device. Thread not needed, so thread closed."

My $2.50, of course. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 14th, 2003, 11:55:13 PM
Thanks Snack, now get out.

;) Thread has served its purpose, is now closed. Thanks all for participating! For your next near disaster, check a thread near you! :D