PDA

View Full Version : Major Blackouts in the North East

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 14th, 2003, 02:36:17 PM
Anybody hearing about this New York City is blackout, Cleveland, Detriot, Ottawa, Toldedo and Toronto are too. Other cities are blacked out in the area too, this started around 4PM EST. My guess this is because of the heat this has happened in the past but I can't remember one so massive as this.

Charley
Aug 14th, 2003, 02:42:19 PM
The '69 blackout was about that big.

Ryan Pode
Aug 14th, 2003, 02:51:38 PM
It's the machines. :uhoh

Alpha
Aug 14th, 2003, 02:57:26 PM
A Manhattan plant. :) At least that's what the newscasters just mentioned...

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 14th, 2003, 03:12:10 PM
I hear its the plan in Niagra Falls that caused that is from CNN but that may or not be the one. I have to say I am glad I don't live in NY man what a mess, no subways, no buses, people having to walk a long way.

Ryan Pode
Aug 14th, 2003, 03:55:26 PM
The '69 blackout was about that big.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 14th, 2003, 03:59:15 PM
Yep I asked my parents they remembered that. Also I heard a rumor that that big worm that was going to effect Microsoft this week could be behind it. Have no clue where that story is coming from.

Ryan Pode
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:00:25 PM
I think thats just a silly rumor.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:01:51 PM
I heard it off the news networks, CNN, ABC and Fox all said it. I think its just speculation. I don't know how powerful this worm, is I heard it could shut down websites and such I don't know if it could shut down a whole power grid though.

Darth Viscera
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:03:41 PM
*hugs his electricity*

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:05:12 PM
lol yeah no problems here either thank god :) Also it looks like it is not Terrorism luckly I still think its heat realted this has happened before the last time 1996 out west.

ReaperFett
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:06:47 PM
I think when multiple cities suddenly all lose powers, no rumours are silly.

I think this shows a large problem with the system though. NYC has lost subways, rail and airports at the same time. Shouldnt they be on seperate power or have a backup to avoid someone using this?

NJ nuclear power plant isn't responding apparently. Is that bad?

Ryan Pode
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:07:43 PM
Visc, turn some stuff off cos they are about to suck some of our power to give to them...

Figrin D'an
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:13:54 PM
The power grids for those areas are all interconnected. It's not that all of them overloaded or failed at once. It's like a circuit breaker. It's mearly that one of them was shutdown, and it tripped many other grids (circuits) that are connected to it. It will now just take a few hours to get the grids turned back on... it has to be done section by section, which takes time. There doesn't appear to be any major damage to the power systems themselves. One of them just couldn't meet the demand... 15 million air conditioning systems running at once on a hot day can do that.

Ryan Pode
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:15:03 PM
Or one dancing santa.:D

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:16:54 PM
Still its weird that so many cities are out I guess its because the grid that was hit interconnects with so many different cities (the Niagra Falls grid which suspected to be the one that fell) it must have been hotter in Canada today then they suspected and the grid couldn't hold it.

Darth Viscera
Aug 14th, 2003, 04:48:07 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Pode
Visc, turn some stuff off cos they are about to suck some of our power to give to them...

Oh no they didn't!

*snaps fingers blackily*

Jinn Fizz
Aug 14th, 2003, 06:57:42 PM
I wonder how many blackout babies will be born in 9 months. :D

Senator Kensington
Aug 14th, 2003, 07:04:42 PM
The Niagra plant is vehemently denying that it had anything to do with it and calls itself the "rock" of the system. Heard this on CNN.

Darth Viscera
Aug 14th, 2003, 07:20:56 PM
Originally posted by Jinn Fizz
I wonder how many blackout babies will be born in 9 months. :D

7 million!

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 14th, 2003, 07:57:06 PM
LOL, depends on how long this will go on. I know both sides are pointing fingers this is very weird. Also I bet there will be a lot of crime in NY tonight.

Morgan Evanar
Aug 14th, 2003, 08:25:53 PM
Eh, those grids are awfully interlocked. I think there was just a power useage spike, like Figrin said. The media is a bunch of goobers.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 14th, 2003, 08:32:49 PM
I know but still this hasn't happened in 25 years on this wide of scale. Sure it has happened out West but that is a different reason. I think it does show a problem the grids are too interlocked that needs to change and be modernized.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 14th, 2003, 08:48:51 PM
I wish OUR power would go out so I could go home. :cry

Nathanial K'cansce
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:33:52 PM
I heard a lightning bolt hit in a Niagra Falls electric power suply thingy and that's what caused the failure form system to system.

The power here flickered on and off, then on and off again, then on and has stayed on since. *lives in NY State* Though Other cities near us lost power.

I believe 4 or 5 nuclear power plants had to shut down for this.

And I also believe this power outage thing is the cause of my bad connection today. ><

Darth Viscera
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:53:23 PM
Yeah, the whole internet is running slow, must be a lot of hosting from Pennsylvania to Ohio to Ontario.

Darth Viscera
Aug 14th, 2003, 10:55:28 PM
There are reports of looting in Ottawa.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 15th, 2003, 12:41:48 AM
looting in Ottawa I can only imagine what is going on in NY :p

imported_Firebird1
Aug 15th, 2003, 01:33:27 AM
I haven't heard much of whats going on in NY but it seems the action has moved southward (WV Sniper attack just announced on MSNBC)

Figrin D'an
Aug 15th, 2003, 01:43:06 AM
Looks like NYC is still without power is most areas, and part of the affected area may be in the dark until Sunday. :x

Darth Viscera
Aug 15th, 2003, 04:02:25 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
looting in Ottawa I can only imagine what is going on in NY :p

No need to imagine. No reports of looting in New York. Reports of serious looting in Ottawa, break-ins, theft, smashed windows, I hate to say it, but I think that Ottawa has been invaded by armies of war protestors :lol :lol :lol

Canada has been quick to blame the power outage on us.

Ryan Pode
Aug 15th, 2003, 08:56:12 AM
I wanna go looting :(

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 15th, 2003, 09:16:21 AM
Well NY had 9000 cops out makes it hard to loot with that many police walking the strees. This is ridiculous though that they can't get the power on by now, it only last 25 hours in 65 and if it lasts longer now it doesn't show we have progressed much in 38 years.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 15th, 2003, 09:50:54 AM
They now think it started in Ohio or Michigan
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=4&u=/ap/20030815/ap_on_re_us/blackout_what_happened_9

Is this going to be like 1965 when they could never figure out what happened.

imported_Firebird1
Aug 15th, 2003, 10:49:37 AM
Only a handful of thefts reported in NYC. Well whos the freeking idiot who'd try to steal something with 9000 cops on the streets anyways.

CMJ
Aug 15th, 2003, 11:18:55 AM
Power grids in major metropolitan area's just suck. A few months back my section of Los Angeles blinked out for 36 hours.

Since it was only about 15% of the city it didn't make national news or anything, but it was terrible.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 15th, 2003, 12:37:59 PM
Hasn't parts of Californina have trouble before? I remember last year the power going off a lot.

CMJ
Aug 15th, 2003, 01:20:57 PM
Well the rolling blackout thing was actually a bit over 2 years ago. That was more the problem of greedy energy providers jacking up prices and keeping power from the average consumer.

There have been hearings on it in Sacremento.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 15th, 2003, 02:39:50 PM
Oh okay I new it was recently I remember it is sounded just like the way you describe it.

Doc Milo
Aug 15th, 2003, 05:20:28 PM
I just got power back on about 1:30 PM this afternoon where I live. Where I work got it back about 4:00 PM. Where my wife works got it back about 6:45 PM. Needless to say, we've had the day off today...

I was at work when it happened. I deal with large sums of money that had to be locked up... Luckily the safe has it's own power supply that powers up via a turn dial. I got out of work about 6 PM yesterday, after securing all valuables (and cash) in the safe. Then took about an hour and a half to drive home (usually live only about a half hour away.) Considering the mass exodus out of Manhattan, and hour delay during standard rush hour wasn't too bad.

Lots of accidents after the sun went down yesterday on the major turnpike in my neighborhood. No reports of anyone dying or being badly injured ... and no reports of major crime sprees...

One guy at work had to walk from Queens into Manhattan -- they weren't allowing any traffic into the city -- to get home...

CMJ
Aug 15th, 2003, 11:18:13 PM
Glad you're doing well Doc, I was a bit worried about ya.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 15th, 2003, 11:20:49 PM
Yeah I saw that traffic jam on tv which one was your car :p Glad you are safe and have your power back.

darth_mcbain
Aug 18th, 2003, 02:43:18 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of ya Doc - glad things worked out and that you were safe. I was actually in Manhattan for the blackout - I was in town for a wedding. My flight got in about half an hour before all the lights went out... At least I was able to get checked into my hotel (although without computers, it took quite a while), but there was no light and no water. We actually went and hung around in Times Square for a while - I figured when would be the next time I would see it completely dark?! :) As things turned out, power came back in time to make the rehearsal dinner and the wedding a success - but it was pretty close for a while there...

Doc Milo
Aug 18th, 2003, 08:52:13 PM
My wife actually commented to me about people having weddings. She was wondering about the food -- and the chances of it spoiling.... We both figured they had back up plans in case of such scenarios....