PDA

View Full Version : We may have a case of technology triumphing over evil here

Morgan Evanar
Aug 13th, 2003, 08:57:45 AM
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html?pg=1&topic=&topic_set=

SCREW De Beers. Bring on diamond semiconductors!

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 13th, 2003, 09:12:54 AM
I am indeed impressed. Very cool article.

Crystal
Aug 13th, 2003, 10:20:39 AM
Cool!! :)

I wondered when we'd be able to make diamons.

And I didn't even know there were yellow diamonds..or any other color. Those look alot more intresting than a clear diamond.

Sohei
Aug 13th, 2003, 10:25:03 AM
This could also mean thousands of small jewelers could go out of business... or they could adapt to make semiconductors and then be bought by Philips or IBM :)

Ryla Relvinian
Aug 13th, 2003, 10:26:31 AM
Oh man, cool but friggin' scary. Has anyone here read "The Diamond Age"?

Morgan Evanar
Aug 13th, 2003, 10:45:02 AM
Originally posted by Sohei
This could also mean thousands of small jewelers could go out of business... or they could adapt to make semiconductors and then be bought by Philips or IBM :) Um, how? De Beers is already screwing them royally.

Edit: Also, if you read the article you'd notice that the diamonds for semiconductors are shaped differently.

Crystal
Aug 13th, 2003, 10:46:01 AM
Originally posted by Ryla Relvinian
Oh man, cool but friggin' scary. Has anyone here read "The Diamond Age"?

I saw that laying around in my dad's room a few days ago.. Tempted to read it now,

Figrin D'an
Aug 13th, 2003, 12:49:35 PM
There will still be a demand for translucent stones, which for now, is why De Beers will make a huge amount of money. De Beers has been using a microlaser etching system over the past few years to certify their diamonds as real, but we'll see if that continues or if they develop something different.

Making gem quality yellow diamonds synthetically is pretty easy. Getting gem quality white diamonds, especially to get H, G, F or higher color, is a different story. The equipment isn't that good yet, and likely won't be for a while.

Diamond semiconductors would be awesome... maybe someday. I'm not going to hold my breath, though.

Sohei
Aug 14th, 2003, 07:29:10 PM
I mean local jewelers, Morg. Y'know, the family operated long-time businesses which rely on quality not quantity?

And the second part was meant as a joke. I did read the article.

Darth Viscera
Aug 14th, 2003, 08:21:07 PM
Awesome! Killing two birds with one stone, a monopoly and a silicon barrier. This could fuel a huge lift in the economy for like 2010. Tasty :D