PDA

View Full Version : The Outbound Flight Project (speculation, not spoilers)

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 10th, 2003, 10:19:03 AM
Do you think we'll see this in Episode Three? A group of Jedi masters going out to see if they could punch through the sphere of hyperspace surrounding the galaxy and search for new life... ...that were destroyed by Palpatine's agents.

I was reading about it and it says that it is rumored that Thrawn, later to become Palpatine's greatest grand admiral, was involved in the incident. So...that could be the way that the EU character Thrawn gets into Episode Three.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 10th, 2003, 11:04:47 AM
I think the Outlbound Flight project takes place before Episode 3 not sure the exact date though. I do know Zahn is writting a new book dealing with it. Still I would love to see Thrawn in the movie doubtful it will happen.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 10th, 2003, 03:06:42 PM
Yeah they should take out the Chewie cameo and put in Thrawn. Just a glimpse of red eyes.... *shiver with delight* :D

Figrin D'an
Aug 10th, 2003, 03:32:42 PM
I'll grab Zahn's book when it hits the shelves... should be a good read.. Thrawn would be a decent cameo, better then Chewie IMO.

Even just a mention of the project in Episode III would be nice, since it was one way that Palpatine got rid of several Jedi Masters.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 11th, 2003, 01:01:22 AM
Question is was Thrawn even around before ANH? He didn't become Grand Admiral until after ESB he would have been a nobody in the outer Rim most likely.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 12th, 2003, 12:12:23 AM
I was reading about it and it says that it is rumored that Thrawn, later to become Palpatine's greatest grand admiral, was involved in the incident.

He could have been in the Old Republic's fleet as a captain or something. *shrug*

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 12th, 2003, 12:23:53 AM
Still there is a story that an EU character makes an apperance in Episode 3. So the question is who? I think you have three options: Thrawn, Borsk, or Garm Ilm Billis, I am betting on Garm right now.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 12th, 2003, 12:28:08 AM
you mean Garm Bel Iblis :p

I had to look up the spelling. ;)

imported_STELA'SHLIT'NURUODO
Aug 12th, 2003, 12:37:03 AM
The Grand Admirals didn't exist untill 2 years before the battle of Yavin. He didn't become a grand admiral actually untill just before Endor. Un till then it was a Secret honorary title. He was not one of the 12 Grand Admirals He was given the title after he hunted down grand Admiral Zaarin.

As for the outbound flight. Palpatine sent Kinman Doriana to kill them and Thrawn intercepted the fleet sent to destroy the outbound flight and destroyed it.He was convinced by Doriana that the outbound flight should be destroyed so thrawn intercepted it and killed the jedi.

Thwarns first assignment given him by Palpatine was actually to watch over Jerec. Who most will know.

Anything else you want to know about Thrawn or the other Grand Admirals?

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 12th, 2003, 12:42:09 AM
Yeah where'd you get that info? It's not in my book. *pouts*

Aug 12th, 2003, 12:49:57 AM
there are more then star wars books in the EA there are comics and the CCG

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 12th, 2003, 12:52:51 AM
I have the Star Wars Essential Chronology, and I almost quoted the information it had on the Outbound Flight project. Nothing about who Palpatine's agents WERE. Disappointing, really. :\

Aug 12th, 2003, 01:09:42 AM
Its my job to know the Chiss
Look for info on Star Wars Inside # 61 for grand admirals :)

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 12th, 2003, 01:23:01 AM
Yeah that issue has a lot of Great information about the Grand Admirals. And thanks for catching by butchering of Garm's name :p I really think Garm is the one, we have a Mon Mothma and Garm is the other part of the Rebellion along with Bail Organa that way we have the beginnings of the Rebel Alliance in Episode 3. I also could see Borsk he was probably around then we would finally get a look at a Bothan :)

Aug 12th, 2003, 01:24:49 AM
ok did some digging and found a referance to the outbound flight being 11 to 12 years before the Battle of Yavin.

Aug 12th, 2003, 01:30:18 AM
Also it says Thrawn was picked up by Captain Parck one week after the palpatine proclaimed himself Emperor. Which was durring ANH. So he would not have been serving the Empire durring EP 3. So for them to put him in it would go aginst Zahns short stories.

Aug 12th, 2003, 01:32:32 AM
Gram would seem like the natural choice. They may do a segment on him pulling Corellia out of the old republic.

Doc Milo
Aug 12th, 2003, 07:04:49 AM
Also it says Thrawn was picked up by Captain Parck one week after the palpatine proclaimed himself Emperor. Which was durring ANH.

The Emperor dissolved the council (Senate) in ANH -- he declared himself Emperor before then... I believe his declaration of himself as Emperor coincides with the Republic being formally known as the Empire... Which happened well before ANH...

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 12th, 2003, 10:55:35 AM
Doc Milo is correct, ANH happens right as the Senate is dissolved, and the Emperor was already the Emperor, and Vader was already his right hand man and well known to Princess Leia.

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 12th, 2003, 11:02:18 AM
Do you think we'll see this in Episode Three? A group of Jedi masters going out to see if they could punch through the sphere of hyperspace surrounding the galaxy and search for new life... ...that were destroyed by Palpatine's agents.

I hope so! This was what I based Dasquians background on. I would be very interested in seeing it :D

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 12th, 2003, 11:58:48 AM
Of course we don't know when he declared himself Emperor. My guess it will happen in Episode 3, still even so Thrawn wasn't discovered till after that then so I doubt he will show up besides I am not sure if Lucas would want to throw him. Garm make sense with his involvment in the rebellion.

Figrin D'an
Aug 12th, 2003, 12:24:23 PM
Originally posted by STELA'SHLIT'NURUODO
ok did some digging and found a referance to the outbound flight being 11 to 12 years before the Battle of Yavin.

How old is that reference, though? Is that current with the time frame since GL started production of the prequels? I just question it's accuracy, since it's been my impression that the Jedi Purge is going to take place in Episode III, and the Outbound Flight project ended up being part of that operation.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 12th, 2003, 10:52:40 PM
Well I know Zahn did some date miscaluclations when he wrote Heir to the Empire so that is probably what is going on. I know he is writting a duology about the Outland Project to correct some of that. Also this duology could fit into why he is the movie if he happens to be in it.

Pierce Tondry
Sep 2nd, 2003, 11:39:36 AM
Zahn has written a three-part short story entitled "Hero of Cartao" that gives people a glimpse of who Kinman Doriana is and where Spaarti cylinders come from. They can be found inside the pages of the SW Insider magazine, and for those who haven't already read them, they're a decent read. I wouldn't read them for excitement per se (because short stories can't capture excitement like a full-fledged novel) but they are informative and entertaining.