PDA

View Full Version : A question for someone knowledgable in Web Page Design

ReaperFett
Aug 10th, 2003, 08:47:23 AM
How important is Java in creating Web pages? Not JavaScript, but JAVA.

Morgan Evanar
Aug 10th, 2003, 08:53:03 AM
Not at all. Java is a full out programming language. You can make games with Java (that run slowly).

If you want to learn a language pertinet to web programming: PHP and or ASP. Although they are pretty easy to learn once you know one or the other. PHP is easier to find for smaller pages/hosting.

ReaperFett
Aug 10th, 2003, 09:08:44 AM
Okay thanks. I keep seeing on my module choice forms about needing to know Java, and wanted to check it wasn't vital in some way :)

Mu Satach
Aug 11th, 2003, 08:10:19 PM
o_O

module choice forms?

ReaperFett
Aug 11th, 2003, 08:26:52 PM
a form where you choose your Modules?

Morgan Evanar
Aug 11th, 2003, 08:37:01 PM
Modules for what?

ReaperFett
Aug 11th, 2003, 08:42:30 PM
Oooooh. Computer Science. Over here you choose a single course, and then you do Modules within it.

Mu Satach
Aug 13th, 2003, 09:00:58 PM
Ahhh.... well then... I have only this to add to what Morg wrote...

If in your Comp. Sci. future professional endeavours you have little programing experience, JAVA can be a fun beginner language IF you plan on going on to other types of object oriented programing thingy's... (though there are other languages that work just as well to learn programming)

but, if all you want to do is web work, then skip it...

Morgan Evanar
Aug 13th, 2003, 09:18:37 PM
Very few people seem to really use Java, anyway. Most stuff seems to be coded in C++. Java is slow slow slow.

Mu Satach
Aug 13th, 2003, 10:11:57 PM
yeah, but the compiler is free and you can post your rad programming skills on a web page for the planet to see without wondering if they use a mac, pc or *nix... and the language is so similar to C++ that if you can write something in Java it's just a simple hop skip to to slide into serious C++

I dunno... I had fun with java... a lot more fun with it than C++ or VB or Pascal, or even the old school BASIC.

But, you're right about it not being used a lot. I wouldn't use it for anything serious...

I've heard that Python is a good primer language to learn with as well, but I haven't really tried anything with it... right now I'm playing more and more with Perl.

imported_Marcus
Aug 14th, 2003, 12:39:58 AM
Brother in law is a Python / PHP GOD. And he has a great deal of venom on the subject of Java, which I fully agree on. Much hatred I have after seeing Java blow the frell out of PC's over many years. It's beyond bloated and on this poor 600 Celeron, Java makes PC..... c...r....a....w.....l

ReaperFett
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:45:43 AM
Java is my evil master at University. I have to do it, it hates me, I hate it :)