PDA

View Full Version : Within Reason? Or is it? (Sage)

Quay'Na Rakai
Aug 2nd, 2003, 06:07:09 AM
Quay’Na groaned as she rolled over in the darkness of her sleeping chamber and glanced at the chronometer.

It was nearly two-thirty in the morning and her holo-projector that was in the main room, beeped annoyingly.

She was actually surprised that she’d even heard it, being as exhausted as she was. Dressed in a dark blue tank top and gray shorts, she crawled out of her bed.

The young Padawan hustled into the main room, it could be Sage. But, she doubted it, he would’ve used their comlinks.

A wide smile brightened her features as she looked at the review screen. It was flashing...Aramis Rakai-Corellia.

Quay’Na pressed the receiver button, ready to greet her uncle...

Her expression fell as an older, tight-faced woman with a scowl appeared before her. She was dressed in the dark blue formal uniform of a Corellian Flight Instructor. The woman’s dark brown hair was pulled back into a tight bun, making her appearance look that more foul.

The holo-projector’s recording mode began immediately.

With a heavy sigh, Quay’Na remembered her Jedi manners and bowed respectfully to the image. “Mother, what a pleasant surprise.” She said and attempted to keep the touch of sarcasm out of her voice.

“No need for pleasantries, daughter. I know, you don’t mean them.” Jescenia Rakai responded coldly.

“I see. I take it this isn’t a social call?”

“Hardly, Quay’Na. Your Uncle isn’t as careful as he used to be when receiving your messages. I’m not surprised by the death of your Master. Done in by a crash in which you were piloting.”

The words stung worse than a Dagobah swamp wasp, but Quay’Na attempted to keep her composure, but failed miserably. The initial pain of the remark must have registered because Quay’Na’s mother merely smirked.

“It’s nice to know that you care so much, Jescenia. But, I really must go.” The Padawan replied and pressed the disconnect button, but nothing happened. Her mother was still there. She pressed it again and still the image remained.

“You won’t be going anywhere soon, daughter. I’ve had your frequency over-ridden. So, let’s get to the point.”

“And what’s that?”

“You need to drop this Jedi nonsense. Return to Corellia, where you belong. Become the fighter pilot that you were raised to be.”

Quay’Na smirked at the remark. “Three fighter pilots in the family are enough, I believe.”

“It’s never enough for the Rakai family, Quay’Na. All we ever wanted from you was to make us proud and it seems you’ve done just the opposite. You’re sister will be graduating from the Academy very soon, top in her class.”

Quay’Na shrugged and crossed her arms in front of her chest. “Yeah, and your point?” She was very close to her younger sister, Cheyenne and doubted very much that she would ever hold anything against her.

“My point is to return to us. We’ll forget about all you’ve done in the past. Your crazy mixed up thoughts on the animal thing that you believe you have. That temple is not good for you, they are messing with your head.” Her mother’s disapproving tone, edged a slight irritation in her.

Anger is the way to the Darkside.

Quay’Na remembered this and knew her mother obviously was trying to anger her. It’s not going to work. She was about to charge out the door, but her thoughts were interrupted by the sight of Ira’s lightsabre on a nearby table where she’d left it earlier An idea struck her, could very well be a bad idea. But, it would definitely get the point across.

“Messing with my head, huh?” She asked. “Well, how about I give you a demonstration of just what they are teaching me here, Mother.” She picked up the lightsabre. “You see this? This is a lightsabre, the true weapon of a Jedi. The weapon that I’m being taught to use.”

Jescenia said nothing, the scowl on her face told all.

Quay’Na flicked it on, the bright green blade cast an eerie glow about the room. “This blade can just about penetrate anything. Perhaps, you’d like to see some standard moves?”

“That’s really not necessary, Quay’Na. I’m not really interested in your strange delusional escapades, we have other things to discuss.” The cool tone came again.

“But, mother how can you possibly make any ‘real’ judgment on the Jedi, if you don’t know what they teach me? Is that really fair?”

Jescenia rolled her eyes at her daughter’s statement. “Get on with it, then.”

Quay’Na smiled and swung the blade around a couple of times, careful not to slice any furniture. “This is a right stroke, this is a left. But, I’ll leave my favorite for last.”

“And that is?”

The Padawan gripped the hilt with both hands and brought it up over her head. “The downward stroke...” With a quick thrust, she brought the lightsabre right through the holo-projector and...right through the table as well.

It burst into a shower of sparks and smoke as her mother’s image faded immediately and everything crashed to the floor as the sheered table gave way. With a deep breath, she flicked off the sabre and let it drop to the floor.

She closed her eyes for a brief moment wondering what kind of trouble she was about to get into. There was no way that Sage couldn’t have heard it and she was sure he’d be there momentarily.

Sage Hazzard
Aug 4th, 2003, 12:04:02 AM
Sage had got up to just under 25 MPH running down the cooridoor. He was trying to run slow, as he had a problem stopping and turning at this speed. He slowed to a jog, than came to Quay'Na's door. He grabbed both of his sabres, in both hands, and opened the door.

He was mid air before the door opened halfway. He ignited his sabres in air and went into a flip, landing in a tumble and coming to a stop on bended knee. He swung his sabres out in horizontal swipes. Hitting nothing and seeing nothing, he finally looked around. He saw an unscratched Quay'Na.

"What in the Force is the meaning of this? I head a sabre hum and a crash!"

He disingaged his sabres and spun them in his hands. He pulled them down, catching the rings on his belt and clipping them there. He was calming down now that he saw she was unhurt.

"Are you hurt?"

Quay'Na Rakai
Aug 4th, 2003, 02:48:04 AM
The Padawan was startled by her Master's entrance more than anything. Once she got her own bearings, she looked at him and bit her lip.

"I'm not hurt, Master." Perhaps, not physically.... "I lit the lightsaber and the crash..." She grimaced slightly as the sheered holo-projector popped loudly.

She was in trouble.

Sage Hazzard
Aug 6th, 2003, 01:29:30 AM
Sage sighed deeply.

"Quay'Na, I need the full story. Don't be afraid, I won't yell."

Quay'Na Rakai
Aug 6th, 2003, 03:59:59 AM
OOC: Better read the Padawans' Return before this one, Sage.

The Padawan sighed heavily as she bent down and retrieved the lightsaber and placed it on the coffee table. She then turned and faced her master. "It was my mother, Master." Boy, she sounded stupid, or at least she thought she did.

"She'll do anything to get me to leave this place. Like tonight, she somehow contacted me through my uncle's codes or I wouldn't have answered. I know better." She dropped her gaze and walked over to her window, looking out at the lights of Coruscant that seemed to go on forever.

"I answered the holo...expecting my uncle, but instead there she was ready to gain the upper hand. I tried to turn off the machine..."

Quay'Na faced him again, this time with tears in her eyes. "I did, Master, I really did. But, she said she somehow over-rode my frequency and I wasn't going anywhere. She mocked me about...how I killed my master...." The pain was there again at full force, as her tears slipped down her cheeks. Quay'Na wiped them away with the back of her hand. "I was going to just leave, but if I did I figured she'd know she got to me and I wasn't going to let her do that. That's when Ira's lightsaber came into view..."

Quay'Na fought the pain she felt, she had to be strong. She could not break in front of her new master.

Sage Hazzard
Aug 7th, 2003, 02:22:37 AM
Sage somberly looked at the broken table. "I see..."

He placed a comforting hand on Quay'Na's shoulder.

"Your mother does what she sees best. However, what she sees is as narrow as a straight line. No matter what she says, she cannot hurt you or change the truth. Your Master's departure was an unfortunate event. It was not voluntary on your part. If you could change what happened, we wouldn't be talking now. Your mother obviously uses cheap tactics to elicite responses from you."

Sage placed his other hand on Quay'Na's other shoulder.

"It's okay. You've had a tough time lately. I'll forgive this incident. I'm more worried about you than a silly old table."

Quay'Na Rakai
Aug 7th, 2003, 09:14:38 PM
Sage's kind words of understanding threatened to spill fresh tears.

"I'm trying my hardest to be strong, Master, but it's so hard. I can almost 'feel' her presence all through this room. It's like a deep reminder." The sorrow in her voice matched the agony in her heart. Another tear fell and was quickly wiped away. "I can't even sleep without being haunted by the crash and watching her die over and over again."

Quay'Na turned away from him and held her head in her hands and finally broke down sobbing. All her pent up pain and agony began to release itself and she couldn't stop it, even though she tried.

Sage Hazzard
Aug 8th, 2003, 01:21:25 AM
Sage knelt beside her.

"I lost both my parents when I was a child. My sister was murdered. My Master turned to the Darkside. I know loss and I know how it feels to think you are at fault. When my sister became one with the Force, I felt powerless. At the time I had great feelings of failure. I still do, honestly. I am a powerful man but at the time I was not nearly as capable as I am now. I wanted to save the universe. I still do. But I could save her... she was my twin sister. Did I mention that?"

Sage paused, stopping himself from bringing back painful memories.

"I know what you're going through, Quay'Na. I'm here for you, whenever you want to talk about it or have a shoulder to cry on. But don't you ever beat yourself up for it. Okay? Not ever."

Quay'Na Rakai
Aug 8th, 2003, 04:37:20 AM
She listened to him, through her tears. He did understand what she was going through, he had obviouosly felt pain and sorrow as well.

When she was finally able to gain the control she needed, she did. "I'm sorry, Master." She sniffed. "I didn't mean to break down, I guess I'm not as strong as I thought." She looked at him, through tear-stained eyes and shook her head.

"I've never had anyone close to me die before and Ira was the mother, my own mother never was. Always so kind and gentle and understanding...." A new tear fell. She wiped it away again. "I don't think I can stay in this room, Master. Is there another room I could get, possibly with a roommate? I don't want to be alone and the sooner the better..." She sighed heavily, feeling defeat.

Sage Hazzard
Aug 9th, 2003, 12:45:22 AM
"Would you like someone of your own rank and experience, or does it matter?"

Quay'Na Rakai
Aug 9th, 2003, 12:52:12 AM
"It doesn't matter, I just can't do this room." She replied, calming more.

Sage Hazzard
Aug 9th, 2003, 01:48:43 AM
Sage had a larger than normal living quarter. He had a vacant room, in fact.

"Well, I suppose you could live with me. Though I'm sure I could find a Padawan who'd be willing to be room mates if you prefer."

Quay'Na Rakai
Aug 9th, 2003, 01:55:29 AM
The thought of living with her Master hadn't occured to her, but seemed a good idea. She thought about it for a few minutes and then nodded. "I'd like that, Master. Thank you."

Sage Hazzard
Aug 11th, 2003, 01:23:11 AM
"Okay then. I've got an extra room in my quarters. I've been here a while so I've been able to get little add-ons here and there. They let me have most of the things I request. You can do whatever you wish with your room and you're welcome to remodel my quarters however you wish."

Sage rubbed his chin.

"You need help packing or do you want to make tomorrow the moving day?"

Quay'Na Rakai
Aug 11th, 2003, 02:56:04 AM
Emotionally spent, she sighed. "I think, I'll wait until tomorrow, Master. I'm getting pretty tired again." Her earlier exhaustion was beginning to dwell on her again.

Sage Hazzard
Aug 15th, 2003, 12:18:11 AM
"Good idea. I'll see you tomorrow. Buzz me when you're ready for me to help."

Sage patted her on the back.

"Oh, and I'll try to keep more vegetarian meals around the quarters," he said with a wink and headed for the door. "Get some rest."

Quay'Na Rakai
Aug 15th, 2003, 02:24:52 AM
"I will. Thank you, Master." She told him as he walked out. Once he was gone, she turned out the lights and went back to bed.

And slept for twelve hours.

It was mid-afternoon, when she finally woke up. She quickly got up and got herself ready and started throwing clothes into her bags. She comm-ed him then. "Uh, Master...I'm up... sorry, I didn't mean to sleep that late." Great, missed breakfast, lunch, and morning meditation....