PDA

View Full Version : Bringing the matter up for general inquiry.

Pierce Tondry
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:48:02 PM
I'd like to make use of a superweapon, preferably a Death Star, in the near future in RPing for a limited time.

I am aware of their banned status. This is more of a request for special permission.

My plans for it include some prelude RPs where its construction is hinted at, some fleet fights where the weapon is introduced and the destruction of a few made-up planets, and its' use would conclude as a trap for Jedi.

I feel I am capable of handling such a thing responsibly and believe the plans I have would provide a platform for multiple groups to have fun in a dynamic RP-oriented way, rather than flat, controlled storytelling. These plans would begin immediately upon any green lights that are given, as what work I needed to accomplish is (for the moment) complete. What I see standing in my way on this matter is precedent, and if I can persuade my peers to set aside that objection, I think they might enjoy the results.

I will be disappointed if the answer from all corners is a resounding "No", but I will also understand.

Thanks for your time.

SAURRON
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:48:26 PM
Go read Rhapsody

Charley
Jul 31st, 2003, 10:30:53 AM
Saurron, I know we granted you the use of your Eclipse...I can't remember if we allowed for a superlaser on it. That's the only real precedent that would make me consider this.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 31st, 2003, 11:22:55 AM
Who's going to amass the resources for a Death Star, anyway?

TheHolo.Net
Jul 31st, 2003, 11:29:06 AM
If it wasn't for the presence of Kraken and his God Mode tendencies (and fleet prefs) I would probably say ok, but as it is, I sense domino effect if allowed.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 31st, 2003, 01:13:46 PM
In more general terms. As in how?
Wheres this stuff coming from?
Who's fabbing it
Wheres the raw materiel coming from?
Who's building the damn thing?

The Death Star really taxed the empire hard and the empire had a lot more stuff at it's disposal sooooo no. Its pretty much logistically unpossible.

Besides, eggs/basket factor. I'd rather have a bunch of Star Destroyers.

Pierce Tondry
Jul 31st, 2003, 01:31:34 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Besides, eggs/basket factor. I'd rather have a bunch of Star Destroyers.

Tactically speaking, so would I. But aside from the fact that Bismarck already has ships, I was looking for something with a lot of destructive power- a throwback to what the movies present as true Imperial doctrine.

My goal for having a superweapon is to create a shakeup in the RP universe- to suddenly give everyone who thought they were safe reason to worry. Of course the most obvious and visible thing to think of is a Death Star. As much as I like the idea, though, Morg is right that logistically it is unpossible.

Which leads me to my next question: are torpedo spheres considered superweapons? I think I can wrangle this into working since they're logistically possible and have a solid destructive potential to them.

Charley
Jul 31st, 2003, 01:56:20 PM
My answer would be no...because a superweapon represents the ability to wreak mass destructive damage in an instant. Torpedo spheres, like a star destroyer fleet's bombardment, takes time.

Lady Vader
Aug 1st, 2003, 05:41:53 PM
You could say that a prototype was discovered preceeding the Death Star, with a less superior laser.

But I'm warry about such a big weapon being used, precisely because of the concern Ogre stated. I know in your hands, it would be used correctly when it came to RPing it out. I just worry bout the other (less bright) RPers.

(Kinda why I didn't go with the Sherlock Holmes name because of the whole "it's copywrited/no it's not, it's public domain" argument. It was just something I wanted to avoid, along with everyone else.)

Torpedo sphere's i could see as legit without amassing too much of a headache to explain it to others that would put up a fuss.

Pierce Tondry
Aug 1st, 2003, 07:28:24 PM
I've thought about the idea, and believe that the torpedo sphere can work quite well in place of a Death Star. Does anyone object to me using a "more dangerous type of torpedo" instead of the standard, though?

SAURRON
Aug 6th, 2003, 08:46:06 PM
The super laser either does not work or is not there and would have to be built all together.