PDA

View Full Version : Diplomatic Relations (Senators and Telan Desaria only)

Alexi Hesith
Jul 25th, 2003, 12:11:04 PM
"Today's top story: The Imperial Sovereignty's newly appointed Ambassador, Moff Anatoly Varianovich Gerion, is due to present his credentials to the Senate. He is expected to arrive at the Chamber for the Senate's morning session which begins shortly. We cross now, live, to our political corresspondent, Borsk T'koth. Borsk: so why all the fuss?"

The screen changed to show a split image of the studio based newscaster and the political corresepondent. The Bothan's fur rippled with excitment as he spoke.

"Well it all comes down to this, Su, if the Senate votes to acredit the ambassador it will be officially recognising the Imperial Sovereingty for the first time. As you know the New Republic has never recognised the Sovereignty's government- this will be a major step forward."

"How so?" asked Su in her cheerful, sing song voice.

"The Senate would be validating the Sovereignty's existence and in doing so we will give them full rights and priviledges, just as we give all foreign governments represented in the Senate."

"You say represented in the Senate," Su flashed a smile at her audience, "like member worlds?"

"In much the same way, yes. The ambassador form the Ballmorean Empire is permitted to addrerss the Senate and has many of the same priveldges as a Senator, however, he isnot ber allowed to vote and may be excluded from sessions at the iscretion of the Chief of State. We can only assume the same will apply to Moff Gerion."

"As to the ambassador, what do we know about Moff Gerion?"

"Very little," replied Borsk, "only that he has been appointed by...Wait. Yes the ambassador's speeder has just arrived." The camera panned round to show the speeder landing in front of the Senate Chamber. Borsk was moving to a positon to catch the Moff as he entered the building. "Mr. Ambassador, could we trouble you for a word? How do feel about the up comming session?"

Telan Desaria
Jul 25th, 2003, 07:07:09 PM
Imperial City, Coruscant
Personal Speeder of Moff Gerion

" Damn it all," the elder Moff grumbled, clenching his jaw as he gazed out of the starboard view port into a crowd of lobbyists and reporters alike, both equally disdained by the newly appointed Imperial representative.

" Sir?" a younger aide inquired, sitting opposite the Moff in the rear of a repulsor limousine. Dashing and quite impressive in physique, many would wonder if the aspiring Naval officer had been cursed to Coruscant or blessed with the right circle of friends.

" Reporters. Damned leeches. They won't rest until they've sucked every bit of information out of me than can or one that I can't; that's when the frenzy really starts. This is why Imperials despise democracy."

" I understand your frustration sir, but you must become at ease with this post. The Grand Admiral hand-picked you."

" Imprisoned, you mean. Were this planet still in our hands I would treasure a posting here. Now, these Rebels have turned the Plaza into a chaotic gallery of childish figures and simplistic art."

The aide brushed a stray fuzz from the wingle white cord over his shoulder signifying his position as Chief Adjutant. " Republicans, Sir. I can only imagine how touchy they may be if you say Rebel."

Moff Gerion growled something low, but was inwardly glad to have such a forward person assigned to him. When Ensign Powler arrived and reported to him the Moff hade it explicitly clear that there was to be no inhibitions in his speah or manner: if the senior political officer made a mistake, he was to correct him.

" You should remember, Your Excellency, that you are the eyes, ears, and face of the Empire. You are as well the first person to ever bear this responsibilty. The Grand Admiral would not have chosen you if he did not think it wise or you capable."

Gerion clenched his teeth again and realized he was being given a pep talk of sorts from a junior officer half his forty years.

" I should be sending out patorls to hunt for this slime, not talking to it. But I shall be the Kommissariat Officer I always have and do as I am told. So much for ease of elevation."

Current Time

Ensign Powler stepped from the limousine and immediately donned his M43 forage cap. When his near-two meter frame was clear of the vehicle he took the handle of the door in his left and saluted with his right, all accompanied by a firm click of his heels.

Moff Gerion stepped out placing one shined jackboot upon the platform jutting out from the Senate Hall, the surface of Coruscant kilometers below. He was barely two-thirds his aide's height but more than made up for any appearance discrepancy by the red blue and orange coloured rank plaque on his chest and the eight-pointed War Merit Cross at his neck.

" Mr. Ambassador, could we trouble you for a word? How do you feel about the upcoming Senate Session."

Gerion looked at the short Bothan before him, holorecorder in hand and graphicinscriber operator juts behind and withheld a sneer.

" Excellency."

The Bothan looked a tad bemused.

" My title is Moff, the proper address of which is Your Excellency. Please correct that."

An almost inaudible clearing of the throat came from the at-attention officer over the Moff's shoulder. Gerion let slip a fatal grin and smiled. " The Empire has never sought legitmacy. We have been a government for many years and shall be for many more. I am here to ensure the safety of the Imperial citizens near the border of Republic Space; that one day all Imperial citizens, former and current, can sleep soundly knowing they are safe. Simply because we do not fear an attack does not mean one shall not come."

Senator Kensington
Jul 25th, 2003, 09:57:14 PM
Kensington scoffed as he watched what the Ambassador said via a screen on his desk.

"Look at him, Ayoub. Completely disgusted with what we have accomplished here. Still bent on Imperialism and that old corrupt world. He probably still would like to refer to us as rebels!"

He stood up and looked around the chamber. Other Senators were moving around and a dull roar filled the air as it usually did before a session.

Tercer emphasized his words with decisive cutting motions. Ayoub, his bodyguard, remained silent. "He doesn't belong in a place like this! This is democracy... he is basically a fascist aristocrat faking politeness. Bloody hell... how could this happen? How could he ever have come this far? Our gravest enemy is going to have a voice in this chamber! It's insane. Anyone who votes to accredit this man should be shot, hung, beaten, burned, bled and then several disciplined!"

Ayoub almost smirked. Kensington sat back down and sighed.

"Oh, well... this is democracy and we must vote upon it. We gain some then lose some. It's great for the status quo. However, Ayoub... I don't think things will remain at the status quo for long."

Senator Thareena
Jul 25th, 2003, 11:00:12 PM
Thareena took her seat, her retinue filing into the pod behind her. Blaire took a seat at her side, long hair done up with elaborate hairpins. The younger senator fidgited, and took a deep breath, going over her notes for the speech that had been prepared for her.

It was mostly all bull, and she didn't think that it would go over paticularly well. Improvisation might come into play, today. She knew what the vote would be, from her at least. Chandrila had a long memory when it came to power hungry Imperials. And they were all power hungry.

Also, this was the Sovereignty, not the Balmorran Empire. Yes, her vote was cast in stone already. How she would deliever it was still up in the air.

The pod beside hers was empty, reserved for the Moff. He would be between the Senator from Ryloth and herself, and kept under a close watch. Security was doubled today, after the last incident in the Chamber, and the fact that tensions were high concerning the presence of Imperials. For some reason the Balmorran Empire never caused this much fuss. But then Balmorra was... slightly less Imperial feeling.

Fa'un Thareena turned her gaze towards the small vid screen Toni held out towards her, and saw the picket lines that were formed outside of the building. Protestors. There was always something to protest. She imagined some people did it for a living.

Alexi Hesith
Jul 26th, 2003, 11:45:23 AM
Senator Alexi Hesith was hurrying to his, seat one of the last to arrive. He was normally in place well before the start of each sessionbut he had been busy on the HoloNet for the past hour.

He had been arguing frantically with his President, a man not easily convinced of the rightness of getting on with the Imperials. Hesith did not like the Imperials but he knew that attacking them at every turn would not achieve much. Once the New Republic opened a dialogue with the Soveriegnty it might lead to peace. Peace... But Deren Basak was only won over by an hour's heated debate over a secure channel.

He entered the chamber and heard the buzz of conversation around him. He knew that many opposed this idea of an ambassador from the Imperial Soveriegnty. But just as many felt that it was a step in the right direction. Besides there was a precedent for it established by a very narrow vote in favour of allowing a delgate from the Balmorean Empire.

"But where is he?" asked Hesith's aide Draxara.

"Who?"

"Geriown."

"Gerion," corrected Hesith mildly. "He can not enter the Chamber until the COS invites him to."

Just then the COS, Leia Organa-Solo entered the Chamber. Everyone rose to their feet as a mark of respect. She signalled for them to sit and began to address the Senate.

"Senators, the matter before us today needs no introduction. It has been much spoken of in the last few days and now requires action," she looked around the Chamber, taking each and every person there, "Yesterday, at the behest of Grand Admiral Telan Desaria of the faction known as the Imperial Sovereignty, I welcomed an ambassador form his people to ours. I tell you now that I have, on behalf of the Executive Branch and the office of Chief of State, accepted Moff Anatoly Varianovich Gerion's letter of credence from his masters. The Senate must now choose whether it will accept this letter also, or reject it.

"Before we begin our debate I invite Moff Anatoly Varianovich Gerion, present his letter of credence to you." She sat, and like everyone else turned her gaze to the Moff's box.

Senator Vobb
Jul 26th, 2003, 07:43:57 PM
Letting the others in his team enter the pod first, Senator Vobb remained quiet as he took his seat, deep in thought.

Even this late in the day, he didn't know how he would vote. On one hand, a vote for could mean that new trade routes were opened, new opportunities could appear. But on the other side, we were talking about Imperials, and could they truly be trusted?

Massaing his temples his his hands, he looked down at his datascreen at the available information.

Telan Desaria
Jul 28th, 2003, 10:20:52 AM
" Your Excellency, we have been invited in."

Moff Gerion gave a quick and almost inperceptible huff of cynical relief before murmuring something that was doubtless unflattering of the chaotic governmental situation the New Republic called its own.

The Chandrillan-born Imperial Kommissaariat officer stood as straight as he could and turned to face his small entourage. What was not present was tasked with filling the Moff's senatorial office with as much Imperial decor as possible. The red and black Banners of the Empire would help greatly to offset the topa or pale white his walls were coloured in.

Directly behind the Moff was his young adjutant looking every part the poster-child for the Imperial Officer Corps. Flanking him were two spit-and-polish yet highly capable Fleet Troopers. Gerion wished an entire Stormtrooper platoon accompany him to the former capital, but the Grand Admiral condired that overkill. The pair of guards was all the military dared send. They were however, the best of the best and from the XXXIInd Fleet Assault Corps from the Imperial flagship itself, thus elite to say the least.

Two olive tuniced but distinctly un-Imperial guards opened a pair of heavy blast doors that as they parted gave an awesome view of the Senate hall with its repuslor pods and center dias for the Chief of State.

To think the Emperor once stood there.

Moff Gerion was pulled from his reverie by a polite 'ahem' from behind at which he smirked and strode forward, almost high-stepping as if on parade. He was the representative of the Empire, after all.

" I am Moff Anatoly Varianovich Gerion, representative of his Fallen Majesty the Emperor Palpatine, Imperial Regent Mickell de Nostradaum, and Supreme Commander of the Imperial Armed Forces, Lord Baron Grand Admiral Telan Desaria.

" I am heretofore ordered by decorum and my superiors to present to you my credentials as an officer of the Kommoissaariat Senatoria Imperium and Citizen of the Galactic Empire. "

The Moff visibly stiffened as if on review thirty years before, a Cadet-Officer before graduation on Raltiir.

" At the commencement of my military career and preceding my recall to service and induction to the political branch I had reached the rank of Colonel, Imperial Army. For bravery during the Fourth Battle of Coruscant and its ensuring Liberation - "

The crowd winced as an Imperial officer intimated its conquest by his government was liberation.

" - I was awarded the War Merit Cross, 2nd Class. My First Class citation came during the Siege of Brentaal for heroism. My decorations include the Order of Sothia and the Gallantry Gross. When appointed to the Political Office I became Military Prefect of Eriadu after its conquest, a position I held until two weeks ago when informed of my reassignment here.

" On a personal note: To say that I am happy about being posted here would be a gross anethema to my feelings on the matter. My duty however allows me to set aside those feelings. My orders are to act as liaison from the Galactic Empire to the Government of the New Republic and so I shall without malice or prejudice. Many of you have seen actions against my comrades and myself and I have been in my share of battles. This does not affect my execution of the task laid out before me. I shall receive you not as you were, soldiers in a war and my sworn idealogical enemies, but as you are now, representatives of a government it is now my sworn duty to respect."

Alexi Hesith
Jul 28th, 2003, 12:36:48 PM
A slightly stunned silence greeted this somewhat unusual speech. It was rare for any in the Chamber to express their truest feelings, but Gerion had done so.

"I will now entertain speakers from the floor on this matter," said Organa-Solo, breaking the silence. "The chair recognises..."

Alexi Hesith
Jul 30th, 2003, 03:37:38 AM
Hesith rose, and tapped the guidance controls on his pod. He zoomed out into the open space and addressed the Chmaber.

"Senators, let us accept this man as Ambassador. I ask you to do this, not for the good of the Imperials, not for any love of them, but to further the cause of peace. There can be no peace with out dialouge, and this is our chance for dialouge with the Imperial Sovereingty."

Senator Kensington
Jul 31st, 2003, 10:06:51 AM
Kensington could hold himself back no longer. He was already on a holding course in his booth when he was recognized.

"I must protest the accredidation of this man!" Kensington pointed to his booth to accentuate his words. "He will merely act as a thorn in our side during proceedings held here and will serve no purpose other than to inform his masters upon our comings and goings.

"Yes, I agree that dialogue is the first step to peace, but this man... is not the one we should be speaking to!

Kensington shot a glare at Gerion. "Bring Grand Admiral Desaria, and we will talk!"

Telan Desaria
Jul 31st, 2003, 03:11:53 PM
Gerion clenched his jaw but bit back a bitter retort.

" Grand Admiral Desaria is an officer of the Imperial Navy and Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces. He has other matters to attend to. The purpose of subordinates and the delegation of command is to get multiple tasks completed at one time. The Admiral has no interest in political games, an arena I have experience in. I speak for him and on behalf of the Galactic Empire."

Senator Thareena
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:22:37 PM
Thareena stood to her feet, and was recognized by the Chief of State. The Senator looked to her right, taking in the military figure of the ambassador, and then let her gaze sweep over the entire chamber.

"Chandrila has a long memory of the atrocities committed against it by the imperialistic regime. There will be no peace with the Sovereignty as long as they move forward to threaten the borders of the New Republic. I cannot in good conscience vote for this man to be recognized as ambassador. Galactic Empire...you hear how he already words it? This recognition of a rogue government will bring only more strife to our Republic."

Alexi Hesith
Aug 4th, 2003, 11:13:34 AM
Hesith rose to his feet, pointing in Thareena's direction.

"Senators, come to your senses. It is time we realised that the Imperial Factions will not go away. We will have to deal with them, and this is the best, safest way.

"Recognise the Sovereignty's ambassdor now and let us make use of this opportunity for the greater good. More can be achieved through diplomacy than can be achieved through force."

Senator Thareena
Aug 4th, 2003, 12:25:11 PM
Thareena had not yet sat down, and she turned back to the front of the pod to respond to Hesith. "Senator, I believe you have heard the opinion of Chandrila. Now is not the time to debate our stance. When we want Gall to decide our policies for us, I will let you know."

Organa Solo called for order as the Chamber erupted in a chorus of disagreements. Some were applauding Thareena's bold move, extremely bold considering how new she was to the Senate position, others condemned her. "Order!" Solo was sounding weary already.

The hub-bub died down, and she pointed to the next Senator to stand. "The chair recognizes - "

Telan Desaria
Aug 5th, 2003, 06:31:47 PM
Moff Gerion blustered, unabl to control his impending rage.

" Might I remind this Senate and specifically those senators who see fit to deride is that the very Empire they hate bore the brunt of the last Vong invasion and despite its state of war allied itself with the Republic to repulse that threat! Might I also reiterate our horrednous casualty reports?

" I spilled blood of countless Rebel soldiers. Never once did I lose any respect for them. I later fought beside them in the Battle of Ord Mantell. One even saved my life. I wish you to remember this - we as Imperials do admittedly find the very precept of democracy to be anethema to our way of life. But never once since the death of the Emperor have we been as hostile as you remember.

" I admit again we have been aggressive, attacking to expand our borders for the security, safety, and prosperity of our own populous. The Republic has done the same and for the same reasons albeit in less than militaristics ways.

" The Empire to me is as pure and righteous as anything could ever be. To you, we are a violent society of belligerant, psycopathic war mongers. I ask that you think of it this way. Should this view offend me, I will not hit you for it. I will hit you only if doing so betters the future and prosperity of the Empire, not my personal glory. This is not the field of battle and I have accepted the limitations imposed therein.

" If you accept me here, there will be a chance for you to redress the greivances you have. If you do not, we shall go on as we have, and you may find our fleets upon you without reason. With my presence, with our representation here, you may at least have a reason why."

Senator Kensington
Aug 6th, 2003, 09:18:46 AM
Kensington shot up and almost yelled.

"Is that a threat?!". He took in the chamber with a sweeping motion of his arm. "Even now, in our own Senate Chambers this man warns the Republic of what many of us already know! That the Imperials can and will attack without warning or reason. I ask you, my colleageus, what good can come of this man's presence?

"Yes, Senator Hesith is right. Diplomacy is what we need to progress..." Tercer raised his voice in a crescendo. "But until we get a DIPLOMAT nothing will be gained! He speaks to you about his war experiences and triumphs. Do you honestly think that someone who has killed our own, someone who has no diplomatic experience, will work with us? I say nay!"

Telan Desaria
Aug 6th, 2003, 06:41:08 PM
" I must say that for a diplomat you have suprisingly wretched hearing. You dare say I taut my deeds? How many of you bear medals for fighting the soldiers of the Empire? How many of you shed the blood of my comrades? I have said repeatedly that I have every respect for the men whom I have faught against, but that is a past that I no longer follow. I am an officer of the Kommissaariat.

" Think what you will. Stay or leave, it makes no difference. Tell me what to do, be it sit in my office here or make haste to my office on Eriadu."

Senator Kensington
Aug 7th, 2003, 11:34:43 AM
"Oh, believe me, Moff Gerion, if I could I would. But this is Democracy, and this is the way we do things. I will concede that many of us share your experiences... but you do not share our conviction for peace.

"When we get a real diplomat I and those who know what I speak of will gladly open talks with that ambassador. My fellow delegates... this man" Tercer looks at his colleagues as he points to the Moff, as if he were a prosecutor arguing to a jury, "is not a diplomat. And if this is the best the Sovereignty can send us in the way of diplomacy, then perhaps we should re-think our policies!"

Alexi Hesith
Aug 12th, 2003, 02:33:40 PM
delete please