PDA

View Full Version : wow ebert liked tomb raider

sirdizzy
Jul 25th, 2003, 11:11:04 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/wkp-news-lara25f.html

Mu Satach
Jul 25th, 2003, 01:23:35 PM
argh... he describes too much of the movie for my tastes...

Charley
Jul 25th, 2003, 02:04:01 PM
...so obviously it must be good, AM I RITE???

:rolleyes

Mortaniuss
Jul 25th, 2003, 02:14:26 PM
I didn't pay to go see the first movie and I still walked out during the middle of it feeling cheated.

Loki Ahmrah
Jul 25th, 2003, 03:17:57 PM
I really enjoyed the first movie. I'll go to see the second one in the theatre as I didn't for the first.

Darth Viscera
Jul 25th, 2003, 03:28:37 PM
^Same here, except I saw the first one in the theater.

Plus, Angelina Jolie is too tasty for me to not see her movie. :cat

Mu Satach
Jul 25th, 2003, 04:34:47 PM
I'm going to see it this weekend. I just can't pass up any action flick that has a chick with guns in it.

darth_mcbain
Jul 25th, 2003, 05:08:27 PM
I couldn't stand the first movie. I love the game, but it just didn't happen as a movie IMHO...

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 25th, 2003, 10:25:58 PM
I'm going to see it. *echoes Mu* :)

Mu Satach
Jul 25th, 2003, 11:39:18 PM
I thought the first one started off alright, but lost it near the end. To me the best action sequence was in her home and that just made the action fight at the end such a let down.

I still liked it though and drug a friend to see it for a second helping when it hit the dollar flicks.

ReaperFett
Jul 26th, 2003, 08:36:36 AM
I liked the fight in the Tomb, just for the sheer daftness of it. But that's WHY I liked the original. I didn't go in expecting the next Citizen Caine, I went for an action film.

Oh, and to get a Mexican cinema ticket :D

sirdizzy
Jul 27th, 2003, 12:52:03 PM
Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (2003)

Action/Adventure
1 hr 50 mins
MPAA Rating:PG-13 for action violence and some sensuality.
Release Date: July 25th, 2003
Starring:Angelina Jolie, Gerard Butler, Chris Barrie, Djimon Hounsou, Ciaran Hinds
Directed by:Jan De Bont

Lara Croft is a gun-toting archeologist that seeks adventure and treasure in the most remote places. In fact her career and her passion for the knowledge of the ancient world has earned her the title of the Tomb Raider. And an earthquake might have just uncovered the greatest find for the world of archeology since the discovery of the pyramids. Alexander the Great nearly conquered the entire known world during his day and along with all his conquests came vast treasures and some of the most valuable and biblical items of the ancient world. He stored his most valuable treasures in the Luna Temple, whose location he never allowed to be mapped. But in 300 B.C. a volcanic eruption wiped the Temple from the face of the earth but it appears the new earthquake has finally revealed it location on the ocean floor. Lara along with a couple Greek archeologists have begun to dive looking for the temple but an evil scientist Reiss a designer of biological weapons is not going to make it that easy for her. He has sent Chen Lo a member of a dangerous Chinese cartel to kill her and steal anything she has found. But when all hell breaks loose inside the legendary temple Lara proves to be harder to kill than they would have anticipated and escapes with her life but not with the most valuable and dangerous treasure that could be known to man. It appears that Alexander during his conquests came across a map that could reveal the location of the Cradle of Life the resting place of the Pandora’s box. Pandora’s Box as the sunday day school story goes holds the creation of life as well as the anti life and when opened not only contains the most glorious of things but death as well and a plague that could sweep the entire world. So now it is up to Lara to stop Reiss and to try and keep the Pandora’s box hidden forever for the sake of the world.

Some have commented that the original Tomb Raider is anti-climatic as the best scenes are contained at the first of the movie leaving the ending a little flat, I somewhat agree with this assessment even though I really liked the first movie. But I am happy to say that the sequel has a much better ending that does not leave you let down and that is more fitting for this action packed adventure. I was greatly pleased with the sequel as it is faster, more intense and more action packed than it predecessor making it way more enjoyable. The movie does not have to take the time it did before to set up the characters and was able to spend more time on the action which is better done and more exciting. They also did not do the pitfalls of the first movie with the skin flick scenes trying to entice young boys, instead allowing Lara to be more of a powerful women character ala the video games. Lara Croft is the female version of Indiana Jones and she is finally starting to come into her own with better character development and a greater story for her. Angelina Jolie again plays the part perfectly as she shows greater emotion in this film and it is hard to not be enticed by her. I enjoyed the movie greatly as it is the kind of epitome of what a popcorn film should be. Lots of actions, tons of fight sequences, plenty of adventure, and a story that while superficial is still quite compelling and that draws you in. I would suggest you see the movie if you would like an afternoon of escapism and enjoy a very well done action movie.
4 stars out of 5

Ka' el Darcverse
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:53:16 PM
Ummm, there is no biblical account of Pandora's box...

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:55:40 PM
Pandora’s Box as the biblical story goes holds the creation of life as well as the anti life and when opened not only contains the most glorious of things but death as well and a plague that could sweep the entire world

Pandora's Box is in Greek mythology.

sirdizzy
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:56:08 PM
sunday school version, biblical account same thing

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:57:31 PM
No, you are incorrect, why not admit it and move on?

sirdizzy
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:57:35 PM
i edited it for you, are ya happy

sirdizzy
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:58:31 PM
hey i may be incorrect but when i think of sunday school (thats the line lara uses) i think biblical, think what you want to think

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:59:40 PM
It's not a question of me being happy, it's a concern I have for your perception of the truth. Pandora's box is not a Sunday School story - that would make it a Biblical story, if it was. It is not, it happens to be Greek Mythology, and so your edit is still wrong. *shrug* You don't have to change it again if you don't want to, I just don't want other people to read it and think you're right.

:)

ReaperFett
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:02:28 PM
he movie trailer does seem to indicate Dizzy is right. I'm not saying it IS right, I'm saying the movie might be wrong.

sirdizzy
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:08:48 PM
no the exact line in the movie is

"Thats the sunday school version"

so the movie is wrong and not me, and i will stick with the movies interpetation

and theres no reason for you to get all mean about it ya know

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:09:52 PM
I doubt it was literally meant to mean that it was taught in Sunday school, probably just that it was a watered down version :lol

Ka' el Darcverse
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:43:22 PM
Yeah and I was just pointing out there was no biblical story of Pandora's box. Not trying to get dizzy to admit to being wrong, I've seen the trailer and Croft says "Sunday School Version," meaning that it's the one with a moral and a happy ending.

Mortaniuss
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:59:37 PM
Yeah. The original story of Pandora's Box didn't exactly have a happy ending; Pandora unleashed death, plague and all sorts of suffering unto the world by opening the box. The only thing left in the box, at the very bottom, was hope. Someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's pretty accurate.

In any event, I can't even take Tomb Raider as a decent action movie. Ignoring everything else, the action was cliched, uninspired and rather boorish.

Also, I'm so tired of akimbo pistols being a staple of action movies lately. The only movie that tired gimmick looked good in was Equilibrium.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:11:21 PM
Sorry, wasn't trying to be a donkey about it.

sirdizzy
Jul 28th, 2003, 10:34:36 PM
hey i was happy they did zero scenes of slow motion bullet action

thats so very rare in the post matrix days

Mu Satach
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:23:37 AM
Originally posted by Mortaniuss
Also, I'm so tired of akimbo pistols being a staple of action movies lately.

Blame Edios for that... Laura has always sported double pistol action since the 1st game.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 30th, 2003, 03:24:24 PM
And every game after the second one sucked.

As a matter of fact, they've sucked so bad that the lisence is now getting handed to another studio.

imported_Marcus
Jul 30th, 2003, 03:48:00 PM
What do you mean after the second one? The first one was a right blow chunker!

Mortaniuss
Jul 30th, 2003, 03:59:57 PM
Originally posted by Mu Satach
Blame Edios for that... Laura has always sported double pistol action since the 1st game. Yeah, I'm aware. I just felt like commenting on that because I'm tired of seeing it.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 30th, 2003, 05:30:03 PM
Originally posted by Mu Satach
Blame Core for that... Laura has always sported double pistol action since the 1st game. Fixed. Edios is the publisher. Core is the developer.

Edit: although Edios has certainly earned my ire for doing lots of other stupid things.

Lots and lots of stupid things.

Can't be buggered to really care about this overmilked dying cash cow any more than sir dizzy can be bothered to use a shift key.

ReaperFett
Jul 31st, 2003, 10:41:21 AM
The makers of the movie are now blaming Eidos/Core for the failure of #2, as the last game was so bad.

Not of course considering that the trailers for #2 were so bad people who liked the original, like me, thought it looked awful :)

Mu Satach
Jul 31st, 2003, 11:09:14 AM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Can't be buggered to really care about this overmilked dying cash cow any more than sir dizzy can be bothered to use a shift key.

:lol :lol :lol

So noted... I say we let the thread fade away now like the movie.
:smokin

sirdizzy
Jul 31st, 2003, 10:20:16 PM
what is this shift key you speak of

James Prent
Aug 1st, 2003, 02:36:51 AM
*quietly hands dizzy a question mark*

Morgan Evanar
Aug 1st, 2003, 09:18:06 PM
Its next to the slash key, and if you press the shift key and the slash key at the same time, it makes a question mark, like so ?

There is also one beneath the caps lock and above the left control key. I think shift keys are nifty.

sirdizzy
Aug 2nd, 2003, 12:27:20 AM
WOW THIS SHIFT KEY IS LIKE MAGIC< ITS SIMPLY AMAZING< TEACH ME I HAVE SO MUCH TO LEARN?

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 2nd, 2003, 12:39:53 AM
lmao! :lol Dizzy you are a WILD man!

ReaperFett
Aug 2nd, 2003, 08:08:59 AM
:lol