PDA

View Full Version : Random Text Sig.

Sera Kya
Jul 22nd, 2003, 06:28:05 PM
I wanna make a random text sig a-la old skool Turbogeek, and since the only random site thingy (CGISpy) uses Javascript (which this place registers as swearing) I need to figure out how to make one.

So can anyone tell me how to make a random text sig, in plain english?

imported_Marcus
Jul 22nd, 2003, 11:33:23 PM
Unless you have access to a server that allows CGI, ASP or PHP and gives execute privledges, your chances are zero.

And if you dont have some understanding of a scripting language, your chances of a plain english explaination are zero too :p

Sera Kya
Jul 24th, 2003, 06:15:57 PM
Bullocks!

:(

This sucks royal nuts.

Sameer Aryan
Jul 24th, 2003, 06:38:23 PM
Marcus do you mind posting some sort of instructions for others that might be able to do it? Or we can at least try and learn from it. (Yeah we can read books instead as well but big books are scary!) Pwease! :(

Sera Kya
Jul 24th, 2003, 06:50:49 PM
Yeah!

Maybe if I stare at it long enough it will make sense..........

*thinks*

I do have a freewebpages.org account maybe............

Mu Satach
Jul 25th, 2003, 11:33:14 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say... no.

Not to discourage you guys or anything, but there's no easy "just do this." Nor would just posting something help you either because:

1 - you would need to know how to write and read a scripting language. (and it would help if you already had written a simple program and had a good working knowledge of HTML)

2 - you would need to learn how to set up said scripts on a site. This includes knowing how to work an SSH & FTP client, knowing how to set permission codes to your files and access to a site that allows you to run executables.

3 - entire semester length courses are taught to teach these concepts... (not that you *need* a class to learn it, just it takes time to become familiar with all the different little pieces that combine to create some scripting goodness)

So if you really want to do it...
1st - find a webhost that will allow you to run cgi scripts
2nd - create your own webpage without using a wisiwig editor or online creation tool.
3rd - go here (http://www.cgi101.com/) and begin to learn how to program cgi scripts.

Once you've got some simple scripts working then come back.

Alpha
Jul 26th, 2003, 08:13:13 AM
Do you know of any places that allow CGI scripts? Does Angelfire by any chance? (I got number 2 down already,so I just need 1, and 3. :))

Crystal
Jul 26th, 2003, 08:40:33 PM
I'm almost postive angelfire dosn't allow them, since a months ago I spent a while trying to find a free place with no luck.

From what I've seen you'll most likely have to buy a hosting package or find someone else that has.

Alpha
Jul 27th, 2003, 09:47:55 AM
k. Thanx Crys. :)

Leeloo Mina
Jul 27th, 2003, 10:48:24 AM
http://spaceports.com/

paceports - the Jolt Cola of free web hosts

Currently hosting 1048874 web sites with 482 new signups today.

* unlimited space
* up to 5 GB of transfer for your site per month
* your own cgi-bin
* PHP scripting
* MySQL database support
* helpful user forums and real-time support chat rooms

Not tested it or anything, was just browsing..

Have no idea at all if you have to buy it or what... just thought I'd let you look.