PDA

View Full Version : Quorum Call

Senator Kensington
Jul 22nd, 2003, 07:50:25 AM
"The Senate will come to order."

Tercer looked up from his notes to the President Pro Tempore, Executive Magistrate Deggol. The gray-haired former judge had finally brought his attention to the assembled Committee of Military Regulations after having spoken to numerous aides while he sat on the dais. Deggol loved the beauracracy, the regulations and the legislation. He was perfect to preside over the Senate when it was not a joint session, merely a hearing over an amendment such as this one. He cleared his throat while interns and aides either took their seats or left the chamber.

"Let it be known, Executive Magistrate Deggol presiding over this hearing. This hearing as to the purpose of..." Deggol double-checked his notes and shuffled papers around on the dais quickly, muttering."... of an amendment proposed by Senator Kensington of Clak'dor VII to the Military Forces Act, this would be Amendment 15. Let it also be known that the Military Forces Act is under the auspices of the Committee of Military Regulations chaired by Senator Hesith of Gall. As such, the floor is now open for morning business. Ah, Senator Kensington, you may proceed."

Tercer stood up and placed his hands on the desk in front of him.

"Thank you, Executive Magistrate." The Senator cleared his throat and looked out at the assembled committee. A handful of Senators were to decide whether the amendment would go through. A handful which could decide the future of the Republic with a single vote.

"Fellow delegates, I will read the section of the Military Forces Act which pertains to my amendment, so that my case may be made clear.” Kensington sent the entire bill to all of the Senator’s desk datapads so that they could read it themselves. He also continuously looked back at the older men he was reading it to; to make sure they were still awake. “‘Article I, Section V. Such that the planets of the New Republic meet the defense requirements stated in Sections I-IV, the planets are now suitable for a naval garrison to meet the defense requirements of the system. The consistency of these naval forces must be able to deter any foe from penetrating the system such that critical non-military assets of the New Republic are not threatened. They must also have the ability to project civil and domestic order such that the planets of the New Republic are not threatened with civil or domestic disorder through militant forces, be they ground or naval threats. If the forces which threaten New Republic civil, domestic, or military assets can be dealt with by means of the New Republic Army, then it shall be so that the naval garrison need not be involved’…etc, etc.

Kensington held up the datapad. “I ask the Committee… does this article of Section V state, in brief, that the naval forces in any given system must be able to defend said system efficiently?”

A murmur of agreement from those who were still awake answered him.

“Thank you. Now, line 3 of Article II, Section V states that ‘Should it become so that the naval forces deployed to the planet or system of the New Republic become inadequate to sustain the defense requirements of the planet or system the naval forces must be reinforced or upgraded to meet the new threats as soon as possible.’” Kensington emphasized the last words. “I ask the Committee again… does this sentence state that if a new threat is viable against one of our planets or systems, that we should reinforce it with all possible speed?”

Another murmur of agreement.

“I suggest you get to the point, Senator Kensington, lest… we… all… doze… OFF!” Deggol’s voice boomed throughout the chamber. Those who were asleep jolted upright with yelps. Deggol smiled at Kensington and motioned for him to continue.

“Thank you, Executive Magistrate. My last, more specific point. Lines 1-4, Article IV, Section V. ‘The naval forces deployed to each planet must have a limited number of capital ships numbering no more than 10 warships. The number of this consistency does not include starfighters and bombers, boarding transport craft, or any such craft that can be deployed from the hangar of a capital ship. In times of conflict with another faction, galactic power, or any such entity, the restrictions on the numbers of capital ships are subject to change without formal hearing or amendment.’

“Now… I ask you my last question. Does this quote state that we can have no more than 10 ships guarding a planet? Be they Star Destroyers or MC-80s or Marauder Corvettes?” A chorus of grunts answered him. “And does it state, that in times of war, this number can be subject to change without notice?” Another chorus. “Now then… I don’t go so far to suggest that the recent action at Bilbringi constitutes an act of war against us by the Balmorrans, nor that the Imperial Sovereignty’s action at Hilari does the same thing. We didn’t even have relations with that planet.

"My aim today was not to bring to light the advantages of this Act in our times. But the disadvantages. This Act does not pertain to our main force… the massive 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Fleets and so on… but to the planetary and system garrisons, designed to fortify our frontier worlds and worlds which are not on the trade routes. Not the fortress-worlds and the powerful fleets which guard our shipyards, but the token forces which guard the majority of our borders. The Imperial factions know that they would never survive an attack on Kuat or Mon Calamari… but against a remote frontier planet they could easily overpower our garrisons as they stand now.

“What my amendment proposes, is that the Republic increase the maximum amount of capitol ships to twenty… and that we add a minimum number of warships, no less than 14 capital ships per task force, flotilla, etc. In most cases, these capital ships will be no more than light cruisers, gunships, or corvettes. The cost will be minimal, compared to if we deployed Star Destroyers to every system. This immediate buffering of our forces will allow us to counter any and all Imperial aggression towards our borders or remote systems. In these troubled times, such actions are imperative to the defense of the Republic. Thank you… I yield the floor.”

Alexi Hesith
Jul 23rd, 2003, 11:59:06 AM
"Senator Hesith you may begin the questioning on behalf of the committe," commanded Deggol.

Hesith rose to his feet and addressed the committee in the clear, reasoning voice he used at such meetings. He smiled as he spoke, his smile for such occasions.

“The motion before us falls into to parts. The first is an alteration of the maximum limit placed upon planetary defence forces. The second is to impose a minimum number upon such forces.

“Senator, I praise your desire to do that can be done to protect our member worlds, and I am most willing to discuss altering the maximum number of warships permitted to serve in planetary defence forces. Indeed I would go so far as to say that such a change is an excellent idea. But, I am sorry to say that I am not so agreeable to your motion’s second point.” Here Hesith shook his head as if he regretted this, though he did not, in fact, mind at all.

“The Military Forces Act exists only to prevent individual members worlds from creating massive, independently controlled, numbers of warships. It was never intended to create a statutory requirement for such forces. As it say’s in the Preamble to the Act: ‘We recognise the right of all member worlds to make such provision as they feel necessary for the protection of their people and property, within limits defined herein…’

“As they feel necessary” Hesith stressed his point to make it clear where his argument was coming from. “It is obvious, therefore, that the individual members may choose not to establish such forces. They may choose instead to spend their money elsewhere and rely upon the services of our excellent collective naval forces- for which there is a statutory requirement. I move that the second clause of the motion be dropped as incompatible with the purpose of the Military Forces Act.”

As he returned to his seat, Hesith smiled. Now Kensington would need to rephrase his entire proposal or risk having to start again. How Hesith loved technicalities.

“Senator Kensington,” intoned Deggol, “can you offer any argument against dropping the second clause?”

Senator Thareena
Jul 23rd, 2003, 12:13:57 PM
Toni Blaire, aide to the Senator from Chandrila, was watching from an observation seat by the wall. She was taking notes on a small datapad, and listening carefully to the discussions. Thareena was not on the Committee, but she had an interest in the military. It affected everyone, after all.

Senator Kensington
Jul 23rd, 2003, 03:02:58 PM
Kensington knew this would happen. He had added the minimum to the amendment to throw Hesith off guard, and it had almost backfired.

"In fact, Magistrate I can. Planetary or systemary garrisons can but don't have to be funded by the system or planet in question... thusly I refer back to my chosen quote from the Military Forces Act Article I, Section V. 'The consistency of these naval forces must be able to deter any foe from penetrating the system such that critical non-military assets of the New Republic are not threatened. They must also have the ability to project civil and domestic order such that the planets of the New Republic are not threatened with civil or domestic disorder through militant forces, be they ground or naval threats.'

"So you see, Senator, even if the governor of the system or planet does not wish to spend money on these garrisons, the New Republic will. However, if the governor does choose to fund the garrison with the system's own capital that system will recieve compensation with government aid to schools, publics offices, and other such domestic projects. This is merely to counterbalance the domestic prosperity enjoyed by those planets who wish not to have a naval garrison and thus cause the New Republic itself to fund it's force. So you see, Senator, it all evens out. If the Committee finds that this should be set in stone, I will gladly add another proposal to the amendment."

Kensington took a sip of water. He had dodged the first bullet.

Alexi Hesith
Jul 27th, 2003, 12:11:41 PM
Deggol turned to Hesith, “That seems a valid argument, Senator. Do you wish to pursue the point further?”

Hesith rose, it had been a long shot anyway, “I concede the point, but propose a review of that particular phrase as I feel it erroneous.”

“Are there any objections to a review of Article I Section V of the Military forces Act?” asked Deggol. No one raised an objection. “Very well a review shall be held in one month’s time.” The magistrate noted this on his file, “You may continue Senator Hesith.”

“The purpose of this session, Senator Kensington is to test the viability of your proposal. Though I concede the second clause of your amendment to be technically in line with the existing Act, I do not feel that it is feasible. For instance where are the funds to be found?

“Under the Military Forces Act the planetary systems may request financial support from the New Republic Treasury for the construction of defence forces, but are themselves required to pay at least fifty per cent of the cost of forces built for themselves. I refer the committee to Article VI, sections I through IV, should they wish to quote from it.” Here Hesith shot a look at Kensington, “I say that, should the New Republic be found to be required to provide such forces to a sum of fourteen warships, that this will oblige some systems to pay for a service they neither wish nor need. What do you say Senator?"

Senator Kensington
Jul 29th, 2003, 09:32:11 AM
"Again, I reiterate for the Committee that if the planet or system in question does pay for the entire naval garrison, that planet or system will recieve Republic compensation in the form of funding to domestic projects, schools etc. On the same token, if they do not fund the naval garrison, then they will be deprived of such compensation and whatever the Republic needs to balance the budget.

"This form of budgeting will allow systems that need the forces to prosper economically while at the same time constructing the naval force. And, I might add, most systems in the Republic already have the maximum of 10 capital ships. Very few systems feel that an absence of a garrison would lend any progress to the stability of their societies.

Kensington glanced down at his notes.

"Another source for the funds would originate in the Military Reinforcement Act, if it is ever voted upon and passed. Such a levy would more than make my amendment possible, Senator."

Alexi Hesith
Jul 30th, 2003, 03:27:34 AM
Hesith rose and said, very clearly and simply, "Article III Section 9."

For a moment no one in the Chamber realised what he meant. There was a slight nervous cough from one or two members, knowing that thuis should mean something to them.

"Of the Constitution," growled Hesith, "Forbids the Senate to infringe upon the rights of member worlds. One of those rights is to spend their money, less taxes, in whatever manner they wish. This ammendment will be unconstitutional because it will force member worlds to spend money on something they do not want. And do not, Senator, tell me that they will not have to spend their money, for the law makes it very clear that they will pay for half the cost of those forces, regardless. Nad it will not come out of taxes or the military levy but their money, less tax.

"The Senator has a very good proposal my friends, he has a good point. But I fear that it has not been thought through properly. In order to pass this ammendment will require another ammendment to alter Article VI. Once the funding situtation has been cleared up by that ammendent, I am sure that the committee will be able to deal with Senator Kensington's own... ammendment. But the second ammendment required to make the first ammendment ammendable will require some time and will have to be, in fact, the first ammendment of course." Hesith hid a smile at the confused looks that greated this sentence, "The process ill take a mere three years and a year in the Chamber and the very longest. Senator will you be able to wait until them?"

Hesith sat down, struggling to contain his smile, because he now had Kensington in a corner. The Senate had a cycle of business, each cyle was six years long- the maximum ammount of time an act took to be passed. By the time the neccessary changes were made the cycle would be up. Meaning that Kensington would have to start from scratch on his origional proposal. How I love technicallities he thought.

Senator Kensington
Jul 31st, 2003, 10:00:45 AM
Bloody hell... for him to be this desperate to shut this act out... we need to talk.

Kensington stood up and adressed Deggol."Executive Magistrate, I respectfully ask the Committee to call for a Quorum."

Deggol glanced around the chamber and murmured, "Without objection.... very well. A quorom is instated."

The Senators began speaking to each other and aides returned with refreshments, notes, and whatever else they brought with them. Hesith was looking straight at Tercer as the Senator from Clak'Dor VII approached him from aournd the chamber and sat down in his booth, setting his things down on the table.

"Well, Alexi... looks like you've got me on a technicality. Your argument will only delay the amendment... how about a compromise?"

Alexi Hesith
Aug 1st, 2003, 03:24:47 PM
“Compromise, my dear Tercer, what could we possibly compromise over?” asked Hesith in a pleasant, albeit affected, voice. "I can stop this amendment here and now, at no cost to me or to Gall. But it will cost you dearly."

Senator Kensington
Aug 1st, 2003, 09:02:53 PM
Oh... he's on his little cloud now. Thinks he has a good hand, eh? I'll see your bet.... and raise you your reputation.

"Please, spare me your aristocratic babble, Alexi. This technicality is merely a delaying action and you know it. It will pass but when it does it will be too late for the Republic. Yes, you can delay it as you can without any cost to you or Gall, unless of course you consider your dignity a liability. Oh yes... read this, if you will. My... trump card."

Suddenly a smirk crossed his face and he handed Alexi a datapad.

Lines I-II, Article II, Section V, Military Forces Act

Should it be that the raising of funds available for the procurement of planetary or systemary garrisons when the forces do not consist of the requirements aforementioned (See Article I, Section V) are prohibited in any fashion, the prohibiting law in question may be bypassed in such a way that the Republic, member planet, or system is not finanancially harmed. If it be that the Republic, member planet, or system is financially harmed, compensation will be given to that entity in the form of financial aid towards domestic facilities.

Call

"So you see, Alexi... it's already set in stone. They don't have to pay half if they don't want to... everybody's happy. I didn't want to embarrass you in front of all your friends... well... are you willing to compromise now?"

Alexi Hesith
Aug 2nd, 2003, 11:15:18 AM
He's bluffing, he's bluffing

Hesith looked straight at his opponent, "My reputation is not at stake here- your amendment is. You won't risk it on some political gamble."

Senator Kensington
Aug 3rd, 2003, 09:50:47 PM
Tercer did a broad sweep with his arm around the chamber.

"Look at these people, Alexi. They know you don't belong in this Committee. You manuevered your way into this position to block amendments like these which, in your backwards theory, take away money from your precious human interest projects. By compromising with me you can be seen not as a aristocrat but as a fair and just leader, and they won't have a problem with you chairing this committee. Maybe you can get it a second time.

"If you compromise with me, perhaps I could lend you some support to those new Jedi initiatives I've been hearing about. We'll work it out. You know me, I know you. I want this amendment passed ASAP, and you want to be recognized in this branch of politics as a fair moderate. I'm willing to forget I ever found this quote if you are willing to let this go through with all possible speed... what do you say?"

Kensington offered his handshake to Hesith, and waited.

Alexi Hesith
Aug 4th, 2003, 11:05:25 AM
Hesith eyed the hand, saw what it stood for. He took it.

"Deal."

Sohei
Aug 5th, 2003, 04:01:32 PM
delete

Senator Kensington
Aug 5th, 2003, 04:04:39 PM
Tercer shook his hand firmly.

"Thank you, my friend. I won't let you down."

Kensington returned to his platform and spoke.

"Executive Magistrate, I respectfully ask that the Quorum be rescinded."

Deggol took a moment to finish up a nice little chat he was having with a shapely young intern and turned back to the chamber.

He spoke off-handedly,"Ah... without objection." He glanced around the room. "Very well. Order for Quorum is rescinded, morning business may continue. Senator Kensington, you have the floor in the form of an answer to the question posed by Senator Hesith preceding the instatement of a quorum."

"Thank you, Executive Magistrate. I happily announce to the committee that the Chairman and I have reached an agreement. Without hampering the progress of the amendment, I shall lower the specific amount in the second clause."

Tercer pulled the amendment file on his viewscreen, took several moments to edit it and loaded it to all the Committee member's screens.

Amendment 15, Military Forces Act

First Clause: To increase the maximum amount of capital ships allowed in a planetary or systemary garrison, whichever is relevant, to twenty capital ships.

Second Clause: To direct a minimum number of capital ships to the planetary or systemary garrison, whichever is relevant, that number being eleven.

"My colleague has argued to me that fourteen would put too great of a strain upon the Republic's military funds, and as such I have lowered the minimum amount of warships to eleven. I now ask the Committee to vote upon the amendment."

Deggol sat up and cleared his throat.

"Without objection from the committee members...." Deggol glanced around then looked at Alexi. "Senator Hesith, have you concluded your questioning?"

Alexi Hesith
Aug 12th, 2003, 02:14:44 PM
Heisth rose to his feet, time to do a little damage control.

"I have no further questions. The Senator has provide adequate answers. I am satisfied that this ammendment is in the best interests of us all." He looked across at Kensington, "Despite my personal misgivings on this matter I am obligated to recommed this ammendment for immediate consideration by the Senate."

Senator Kensington
Aug 12th, 2003, 08:46:06 PM
"Very well. The Committee of Military Regulations will now vote upon the amendment proposed by the Senator from Clak'dor VII by way of electronic device. Time given to the procedure of voting will combine no longer than fifteen minutes. Time begins now."

Kensington sat down as murmurings re-commenced and people got up for a quick stretch before plugging in their vote.

"Will it pass in the Senate..." he thought. "It has a 45% chance, I'd say. Damn those stuffy old peace-loving farts. Sure, peace is great... but it can only be enjoyed when we are not under threat from numerous sides."

Tercer took a sip of water as his aide took some of his notes away. He patted him on the shoulder for good luck and left. Kensington watched the viewscreen on his desk as the numbers began running across the screen.

Looks good... I better enjoy it while it lasts. The numbers are large and ugly in the Senate. Time for some serious lobbying.

Fifteen minutes later, the results were in. Forty minutes later, as Tercer was stepping into his personal transport, he flashed a smile and a thumbs-up to reporters as they asked, "Senator! Senator! Now that it's passed, what do you think your chances are in the Senate?!"