PDA

View Full Version : Best among all sports, IMO

Jared Mriad
Jul 20th, 2003, 03:28:36 PM
Paintball.

I've played all the other sports; the -balls, soccer, etc, but only one has actually lured me into more and more. Red Fox Games, really the only arena/area that I've played in, having 162 acres and 12 different scenarios to choose from and really reasonable prices, has gotten the injection and addiction hooked and snared.

RFG rules, period. (http://www.redfoxgames.com/index2.html)

The pure realism behind the game is also addictive. Unlike the rest of the sports that I've come into contact with, how many of them can you play a scenario for 24 hours minimum and not become bored with it?

Charley
Jul 20th, 2003, 03:32:34 PM
Yes, that's your opinion.

(These "best sports" threads are a notch less touchy then "best religion" threads, so be forewarned.)

I used to play a lot of arena paintball back in the day, when I was in high school. Its pretty fun, but expensive. I don't have enough organizational skill to get together a good match these days though.

ReaperFett
Jul 20th, 2003, 03:36:35 PM
Noone will be that bad with you because you're not being insulting towards others, which most who do similar threads do :)

I've never tried Paintball, but do want to. I used to play the kind wiht laser guns, which can be good if they set it up correct (Sometimes they set it up AWFUL, with badly working packs and unfair teams)

Jared Mriad
Jul 20th, 2003, 03:41:33 PM
Originally posted by Agent Charley
Yes, that's your opinion.

(These "best sports" threads are a notch less touchy then "best religion" threads, so be forewarned.)

I used to play a lot of arena paintball back in the day, when I was in high school. Its pretty fun, but expensive. I don't have enough organizational skill to get together a good match these days though.

I thought I would be shooting myself in the foot otherwise.

If you have about 40usd, a vehicle, and knowhow to get into Spartanburg SC I can get a group up real quick.

-

LazerTag is somewhat similar to paintball, less enjoyable because of handicaps (no-range basically) and lack-of-gravity.

Charley
Jul 20th, 2003, 03:42:10 PM
Fett, nothing replaces the rush trying to get away from actual projectiles that hurt you. You've got to play paintball :)

Charley
Jul 20th, 2003, 03:49:42 PM
If you have about 40usd, a vehicle, and knowhow to get into Spartanburg SC I can get a group up real quick.

How long does that allow on the range? Does it cover all reloads and use of a range gun (probably Tippman) and all CO2 fills?

South Carolina is out of range for me by 6 hours.

imported_Marcus
Jul 20th, 2003, 04:00:50 PM
Hmph. Nothing beats coming over a blind crest at 200kph+, motor screaming at 8000rpm, left hander coming up that and a kangaroo / moose / deer / sheep leaps out in front of 1.3 ton of rally car while your still airborne.

Actually it was 1080 kg of car at the time for me.........

Jared Mriad
Jul 20th, 2003, 04:06:43 PM
How long does that allow on the range? Does it cover all reloads and use of a range gun (probably Tippman) and all CO2 fills?

South Carolina is out of range for me by 6 hours.

20$ covers
Face Mask
FREE CO2 (All Day)
Paintball marker rental
100 rounds of paint
All day field pass

The extra 20$ gives 500 extra paint for your enjoyment.

Edit #2: With the first 20$, the Paintball marker is a GT 2000. You are allowed to bring your own guns, just not any paint.

Originally posted by Marcus
Hmph. Nothing beats coming over a blind crest at 200kph+, motor screaming at 8000rpm, left hander coming up that and a kangaroo / moose / deer / sheep leaps out in front of 1.3 ton of rally car while your still airborne.

Actually it was 1080 kg of car at the time for me.........

Bang... you got me dead.

ReaperFett
Jul 20th, 2003, 04:17:42 PM
Fett, nothing replaces the rush trying to get away from actual projectiles that hurt you. You've got to play paintball :)
I understanfd this, but I cant get to one, while I could for that :)

Jared Mriad
Jul 20th, 2003, 04:43:20 PM
By the way.

TWELVE different scenarios for you to choose from including:

Silverado City - NEW FIELD! The South's first turn-of-the-century Western gold mine town - with a REAL underground gold mine!
One of their best feilds, quite fun CTF style.
The Bunker - Trenches and tunnels simulating World War I Trench Warfare. The attacking team has to fight their way up Hamburger Hill in order to attack the bunker and eliminate the defenders.
This is difficult, real difficult. If you start on the bottom, be prepared for a long, hard, fight up
Fort Apache - A log fort on top of a hill where the Indians try to take down the fort's flag while the settlers try to save the women and children. Haven't played yet,
The Junkyard - A huge maze made up of trucks, tanks, antique cars, and even a WWII Half Track, where your squad uses fire and cover to gain ground in inches. Who knows what is hiding inside the semi! This and Paul are the warmup courses, awesome elimination.
The Bridge - Located on a road alongside a steep hillside. Only one member of your team needs to cross the bridge to win, but can you do it? Haven't played
Terrorist Hideaway - A REAL four-room home used by Mujahadeen terrorists as their base of operation. Can you infiltrate their stronghold? Haven't played
Marine Firebase - An authentic triangular firebase surrounded by sandbags and a central bunker like the marines used in Vietnam! Can your team defend the base against the VC? Difficult. Difficult. Difficult! Be prepared to hide under the bags as dirt if flung over you from close range sprays, can YOU survive a 3 on 1 flank?! I didnt.
Widows Creek - A 30 acre capture the flag field consisting of dense forest and crossing a creek where the enemy has to attack uphill. 30 acre... didn't play
Swamp Fox - Named after revolutionary war hero Francis "Swamp Fox" Marion. 50 acre field of mature forest that follows a meandering river with steep cliffs. Can you even FIND the other teams' flag station? 50 acre! didn't play
Speedball - NEW FIELD! A 70 by 120 foot super intense game, not for the faint of heart. Ow... pain... medic... didn't play
Valley of DOOM - NEW FIELD! Possibly the world's most beautiful paintball field! Hidden in a deeply forested valley below a waterfall and along a winding stream. This was the site of the 1990 - 1992 Carolina Cup. This is definitely championship material! didn't play
Paul Bunyan Speedball - A 200 by 300 foot field in a pine forest that Paul Bunyan's kids used to store their blocks. Warmup CTF style, touch the enemy tree!

Charley
Jul 20th, 2003, 04:59:13 PM
That's not a bad deal, then. Never fired a GT 2000, but that aside, not bad at all.

Xazor Elessar
Jul 20th, 2003, 05:07:54 PM
I've never been paintballing before, but I've heard so much about it from my friends. I really want to try it sometime. :)

Still, nothing beats a drop in on a twelve foot quarter pipe from a sweatstance on the coping. *Sweet* :D Nothing beats the rush you feel as you catch major air over a pyramid and you pull a method and hold it there for an extended period of time. *Sweet* The breeze in your hair, the sun on your face, the rails beneath your wheels -- it is all completely irreplaceable.

:D

Jared Mriad
Jul 20th, 2003, 05:10:11 PM
The way they have the canisters and guns rigged, if you dont mind a two-three inch circle in your shoulder, they could be sighted and fired like any carbine. The guns themselves are semi-auto, jam only when you pop out 9 rounds in rapid successsion, then it's only a simple pull to unjam the things. Very handy in Marine Firebase and Paul maps.

Charley
Jul 20th, 2003, 05:21:14 PM
I'm pretty well adjusted on Tippman M98's. It isn't flashy, but you can cram it half full of sawdust and broken paint, and it'll still fire with fluid actions and all. Inexpensive and tough as nails...they're the AK-47 of paintball guns.

I really can't afford anything better :) I have a friend of mine in my fraternity that spends an average of 500 on each of his guns, and he owns maybe seven. He'll graduate with a Mechanical Engineering degree this semester, then I think he's about to play the professional circuit.

As for my sport of love, it's pretty obvious where I stand.

Jared Mriad
Jul 20th, 2003, 08:30:22 PM
omg... every fricking radio station I've turned to today has said something about paintball..

Planned... or just Coincidence.. :rolleyes

Figrin D'an
Jul 20th, 2003, 09:32:43 PM
Paintball is okay. I've gone a few times to different places.

My sport of choice over the past few years has been climbing. There's something about conquering a rock face with your bare hands that is very gratifying... it's a great sense of accomplishment.
(I play golf, but I don't really consider it a sport so much as a game... that's not to say that isn't extremely challenging.)

As for my sport of love, it's pretty obvious where I stand.

Yup... and given my rabid fandom of said sport, I'd very much agree with you.

Commander Zemil Vymes
Jul 20th, 2003, 09:48:55 PM
Climbing is harder than hell...I salute you if you can do it. It's one of those sports that you just have to be hardcore to do.

I'd say for pure "balls to the wall", though, it really doesn't get tougher than playing water polo. I'm absolutely serious. You'd better be fit as a fiddle, or that game will kill you. Even when I was at my best, I couldn't finish a full game.

And Fig....FOUR MORE WEEKS BABY!!!!!!!! :D

Figrin D'an
Jul 20th, 2003, 11:21:05 PM
Originally posted by Commander Zemil Vymes
And Fig....FOUR MORE WEEKS BABY!!!!!!!! :D

I know... I've been ready for the past two months. This summer sports lull is just killing me... even worse than it normally does.

Ryla Relvinian
Jul 21st, 2003, 12:32:29 AM
Oh man, paintball is so frickin' fun. I went once a very long time ago (I was still in High School even!) and got all sorts of welts, even one right on my trigger finger (ow!) but had a great time.

Other than killing people, I'm actually pretty sports-inept. I'm tall, and yet totally suck at any tall-oriented sports. Oh well. :)

Leeloo Mina
Jul 21st, 2003, 04:22:12 AM
I played paintball once... Yeah it was fun.. but it didn't feel too good.. So I prefer Lazer tag.. not as fun but less painful ^_^;

Xaz'
Jul 21st, 2003, 10:06:31 AM
Ooooo Fig, you climb? I have several times and I love it. It's very awesome. :)

Still, nothing beats skating! :lol

Charley
Jul 21st, 2003, 10:41:21 AM
Truck > skateboarder.

Or at least this held true in my high school parking lot, back in the day.

Enjoy your hobby in a prescribed, safe manner, and in a place designed for it. But if you take on traffic and become a liability, you're going to have an S-10 assisted wipeout.

Needless to say, I had no love for the skater kids, back when I was a younger lad. I've had to take more than one to a hospital for endangering others, and getting themselves turned into hamburger out in the streets. If done responsibly, its ok I guess.

I only watch on ESPN2 to see people get hurt though.

Xazor Elessar
Jul 21st, 2003, 11:09:54 AM
:lol

I've never had a run in with traffic -- those that do make a bad name for us skaters, so I stay in the Skatepark. I don't even street skate on the street -- that is why they have street courses, in a SKATEPARK! :lol

I do some skateboarding, but mostly aggressive inline. And yeah, it sux when I get hurt. :lol I do enjoy watching others maul themselves, though. :mischief Just as long as it isn't me. ;)

Charley
Jul 21st, 2003, 11:13:38 AM
It's only fun to watch if I don't have to do the cleanup. I've had to take care of some pretty gruesome spills, including one jackhole that had a dueling match with an 18-wheeler Dr. Pepper truck.

Guess who won?

Xazor Elessar
Jul 21st, 2003, 06:14:42 PM
>_<

Ouch.. :(

Jared Mriad
Jul 21st, 2003, 06:18:15 PM
Holy...

Suddenly the thought of the Angel spitting out 20 paintballs every second seems like squat...

Charley
Jul 21st, 2003, 06:22:19 PM
He lived, at least. Could've been alot worse.

Dyan Kharis
Jul 26th, 2003, 03:38:59 AM
I have been so busy of late. Though my paintballing friends do nothing but brag about their custom autocockers and what have you. I am too poor for that now.

Lately sports to me has consisted of basically sitting on the couch and watching my favorite MMA fighters. The likes of Quinton Jackson; Mirko "Cro-Cop" Filipovic; Fedor Emelianenko; Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera; and Wanderlei Silva rip heads off ... even each others. Pride Fighting rulez!

I would love to see a champion MMA fighter against a champion boxer. Undeniably an interesting match-up. The MMA fighter can't afford to go toe-to-toe fisticuffs with a boxer (though he may very well get in some great kicks to the thighs, ribs, and liver). And vice versa the boxer couldn't afford to get taken down or slammed even. Neither could he afford to get locked into submission. On the mat, majority boxers wouldn't know jack about blocks or counters. An ultimate dream match.

What relevence does this post have? Sharing my love of sports. Ah, spread the love. :)

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 26th, 2003, 03:49:21 AM
Originally posted by Leeloo Mina
So I prefer Lazer tag.. not as fun but less painful ^_^;

I agree :D I love LaserQuest. We go so often we are like masters now though so ... but we did have to play against some ex-Marines once, and they basically totally slaughtered us.

Crystal
Jul 26th, 2003, 04:14:28 AM
:lol

I wanna come play with you.. none of my friends will play anymore.. :(

All they ever wanna do is go to the stupid mall :cry

Kelt Simoson
Jul 27th, 2003, 03:39:17 AM
Yeah Lazerquest rules butt end of story :)

Charley
Jul 27th, 2003, 08:44:54 PM
I used to school marines at my local paintball course. It is basically an indoor hell-hole, and I knew a few little tricks. So I was able to play it viet-cong style, being my own turf and all :D

There was a spot in the course only accessible if you ran and dove through a small opening. Light couldn't give away your position, and you could cover a wide distance without exposing yourself to fire. It was my favorite thing to do, until the course owners decided to board up my little spot :(

Warlock
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:02:01 AM
We always take the top floor so we can snipe people easily, since there arent that many good hiding places. The 'Storm the base' tactic works well until you realise that while you're taking the other teams base, yours is totally uncovered :x

The problem is our squad are all clued into how we work, but then when we have to work with other people (the owner always splits us up because he says it isnt fair :rolleyes) it just all goes to pot!

Brielle Acaana
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:19:12 AM
Why would the owner care? Youre paying like everyone else, play the way you want. Next time, go after the owner >D

Sera Kya
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:36:04 AM
With a baseball bat.

Not really though, I've laser tagged before, but the place sucked, and the team set-ups sucked too (my frist time I got stuck with a bunch of snot nosed kids, and yet, my score was the highest on our team!).

I'd love to try paintball, or go to a better lazer tag place, but I'm mega-poor.

Warlock
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:27:40 AM
He doesn't like us ruining other peoples games by totally trouncing them :mneh