PDA

View Full Version : Timeline

Alexi Hesith
Jul 20th, 2003, 11:49:44 AM
OK I have a question. In the RP galaxy when are we? I mean at what point, in relation to the battle of yavin, are we in time?

Jarek T'chort
Jul 20th, 2003, 12:00:01 PM
Well I think it's meant to be 50 years after the battle of Endor unless I'm horribly mistaken.....

ReaperFett
Jul 20th, 2003, 12:01:04 PM
I don't think we are anywhere really. Too far ahead, and everyone is using outdated technology.

Alexi Hesith
Jul 20th, 2003, 12:11:26 PM
Well have the Yusv Vong (I can't spell it) arrived yet? They come 27 yrs after yavin

Teleran Balades
Jul 20th, 2003, 12:16:28 PM
Yes, the vong have already arrived. I'm not sure how many years after Yavin we are at ,though.

ReaperFett
Jul 20th, 2003, 12:23:50 PM
But as this is a theoretical land, the Vong could have come earlier. I mean, 50 years after ANH wouldn't have as many Sith as we have, you'd need another 50 on that IMO. And by then, every ship in every fleet would be outdated.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 20th, 2003, 12:46:34 PM
Most of us don't even bother acknowledging the Vong. From a technology standpoint, we seem to be about 50 years past ROTJ.

I don't really think it matters much.

Jarek T'chort
Jul 20th, 2003, 12:56:44 PM
Its probably best to say, maybe 30 odd years after ROJ, because of the technology and the fact that some people (Like you Hesith?) IC are old enough to remember Palpatines reign. If you think about it, the state of continual war in reality would have meant the technology would be different from the movies, it would be like using WW2 Tiger tanks in Vietnam.
Best just to say 30 odd years and account for the outdated technology by saying that the devastation caused by the Civil war and subsequent conflicts caused civilisation to falter in terms of scientific advancement.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 20th, 2003, 01:09:54 PM
Or its just possible that in SW they've kind of plataued on the technology they have available. We sort of see that happening now with the internal combustion engine now and again.

Figrin D'an
Jul 20th, 2003, 01:12:11 PM
It's been my experience that the technology curve in the Star Wars universe is very low, even in times of war. If you dig into some of the EU, especially the Dark Horse comics about millenia before the Battle of Yavin, the tech is very very similiar. I tend to think that Palpatine's Empire represented a huge exception to the rule, creating the largest war machine in the history of the galaxy. The tech advances made during his reign were pretty much off-the-scale in comparision to the rest of history.

Besides, in the Thrawn trilogy, a major plot point was attempting to aquire a fleet of 30 year old dreadnaughts. In the NJO, the standard Imperial ship is still the Star Destroyer, which by that time is at least a 35 year old design.

Like Morg said, though... it really doesn't matter that much.

Alexi Hesith
Jul 20th, 2003, 02:38:23 PM
OK. So if I was born pre Palpatine being Emperor that makes me at least sixty to seventy. Gooooooooooood Lord, I'm old! And yet I'm still devilishly handsome.

*preens*

imported_Marcus
Jul 20th, 2003, 03:12:18 PM
Right now to me its 53AE and a few months. But that's just me.

Other points is agree with Morg and Figrin

Charley
Jul 21st, 2003, 11:21:12 AM
[img timeline] LOL

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 21st, 2003, 12:21:14 PM
o_O

As to the Vong: they invaded but not to the point described in the books. They were off in wild space in the unknown regions, and Viscera went off to fight them.

Neither have been heard from since. The Vong never set foot in the actual RP world. IIRC. Viscera, he has saved us all! :p

ReaperFett
Jul 21st, 2003, 12:24:27 PM
They did exist, few RPers tried. But people basically refused to RP with them, so they fell apart and a few good RPers left by the end of it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 21st, 2003, 02:26:19 PM
I can't remember a single thing that group did that affected the boards.

I am merely trying to make sense of what I know has happened, and to say that the Vong invasion of our galaxy was on a MUCH smaller and less effective scale than is described in the books. This is not a point to be argued.

ReaperFett
Jul 21st, 2003, 02:33:24 PM
Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, they took over a few planets, Serndipnal(sp?) being one IIRC, so the majority of the galaxy was untouched.

Pilot Akito
Jul 21st, 2003, 11:26:06 PM
I ate the Vong for Breakfast....

James Prent
Jul 22nd, 2003, 01:28:45 AM
Thank you Akito. :)