PDA

View Full Version : FAQ Draft

imported_Eve
Jul 20th, 2003, 10:36:23 AM
Okay this is taking me a while, but I wanted to show you what I have. Then you can go ahead and start proofing, cause it's long already.

Okay so I rewrote the RP FAQ in alot of places, but pretty much added to what Ogre had in others, and then added alot of extra stuff. I'm going to do the general FAQ and add it to THIS same page. You can see the contents are geared that way. The reason it's all the same page, is because alot of the RP stuff goes with the general stuff.

So all the technical stuff that is in the general FAQ is still to be added, PLUS other things that we talked about.

I did alot of definitions, and the forward is sorta a mission statement. So that's something you guys should make sure jives.

Ogre just view source to view the HTML version. Also go to the parent directory for the style sheet. Oh yeah, I have to put in links. All the links are dead right now.

http://somafix.net/swfans/swfansrpfaq.html

I'm still-a-workin.

Shawn
Jul 20th, 2003, 10:59:59 AM
# The Following are Not Prohibited:

# Plagiarism:

Might want to remove the "not" there. Looking good.

imported_Eve
Jul 20th, 2003, 11:09:20 AM
Okay yah good call.

TheHolo.Net
Jul 20th, 2003, 12:21:59 PM
It looks awesome so far. :)

TheHolo.Net
Jul 20th, 2003, 12:28:35 PM
I do have a recommendation though I'm not sure if this is already being planned for within what you currently have.

This new FAQ needs to also include elements of the General FAQ

<a href=showthread.php?s=&threadid=51>Link</a>

As the FAQ will be a replacement for all the FAQs, at least thats how I see it myself, and the General FAQ would probably be best situated/arranged so that it precedes the RP FAQ.

Also: The current Group Forum fee policies can be found in a sticky topic at the top of the group mods forum. The only thing missing from that policy is due dates for fees, which I am still kicking around.

imported_Eve
Jul 20th, 2003, 12:30:40 PM
Yes, I keep updating the FAQ. I am adding in all the General stuff, as we speak. It will all be in there.

TheHolo.Net
Jul 20th, 2003, 12:31:11 PM
Coolness, and thanks for the great work!!! :D

TheHolo.Net
Jul 20th, 2003, 12:39:25 PM
*Goes to fix post preview so that it will censor swear words*

I have been meaning to do that for a while and have forgotten. ^_^;

TheHolo.Net
Jul 20th, 2003, 12:46:47 PM
Here is an accuracy correction:

When are contributions due?
Answer: SWFans pays for its usage annually.Should be:
When are contributions due?
Answer: SWFans pays for its usage quarterly, while member groups are charged annually.Or something like that.

So it is possible I may ask for public contributions more often than once a year since I pay for SWFans hosting once every 3 months.

imported_Eve
Jul 20th, 2003, 12:55:18 PM
Okay fixed that. If you refresh the page, you will see more being added, especially in section 5.

Signature and Avatar Usage will be a whole section by itself.

TheHolo.Net
Jul 20th, 2003, 01:08:57 PM
Censortext now shows up in previews in forums that are censored.

TheHolo.Net
Jul 20th, 2003, 01:12:24 PM
Spotted a very small typo in the table of contents for the section VI heading:
Dealing With Issue and the SWFans.Net Staff "Issue" should be "Issues"

imported_Eve
Jul 20th, 2003, 01:16:41 PM
Got it. :)

imported_Eve
Jul 20th, 2003, 01:42:32 PM
Okay should be complete now. I have both FAQs in here, and went through the I NEED YOUR INPUT thread.

I'm crosseyed now. So please look over and tell me if there are other mistakes or things that are wrong.

Thanks.

Charley
Jul 20th, 2003, 02:58:14 PM
Very excellent, Eve. I'm going through with a fine-toothed comb to see if I can find anything, but on the first pass, its great!

TheHolo.Net
Jul 20th, 2003, 06:07:12 PM
For the moment, I have put this up in only the T-Phantom style.

<A href=misc.php?s=&action=faq&styleid=70>Link</a>

It isn't the final look, and is rather generic right now so it can be easily applied to all of the styles after we decide on any changes/revisions. Once we have all revised/edited it and approved I will make it available in all of the styles and customize it to match each one much better.

Really awesome work Eve!!!

imported_Eve
Jul 20th, 2003, 06:32:20 PM
Thank ya. You wrote alot of it, so thanks to YOU. Did you have to change all the < to [ ? What a pain!

At least I know this thing up and down, incase something happens.

TheHolo.Net
Jul 20th, 2003, 06:37:27 PM
No, I didn't have to change all the < to [ (posts and pages support HTML), but I did have to strip your table and CSS text formatting and switch it to vB replacement variables, but no biggy.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 20th, 2003, 07:16:29 PM
# Flamimg, Insulting, or Harrassing Typo, under V-L-1

Still reading :) Looks good so far. :thumbup

about Signatures: you say that its customary for only the thread starter to post a sig, however the custom is to post a sig only ONCE per thread, in your first post in the thread.

Does that make sense?

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 20th, 2003, 07:21:12 PM
Can I change my username?
Answer: Only administrators have the power to change usernames. Should you wish to have your username changed, contact an administrator and they may change it for you. Be aware however that administrators can only change usernames to another name that hasn't already been registered previously.

Mods can do this too.

TheHolo.Net
Jul 20th, 2003, 07:28:20 PM
I made the changes to the FAQ (on the link I put in my previous reply) to match your suggestions/edits LD. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 21st, 2003, 10:40:16 AM
Cool. I didn't read the whole thing yet, I was way too hot and tired. :)

TheHolo.Net
Jul 22nd, 2003, 10:03:19 AM
I have gone ahead and implemented it across all of the styles and made an announcement.

We can still make changes and adjustments at any time, which I should be able to make pretty easily. It is still in more or less a draft stage, but from looking it over a few times I am very pleased with the draft now made public.

Thanks Eve.......and everyone else. :)

TheHolo.Net
Jul 22nd, 2003, 11:30:07 AM
Testing something...

Read the FAQ (faq.php?s=>FAQ</a>.

EDIT:)." in exactlly that syntax (without the quotes), it will automatically make the word FAQ link to the FAQ / Board Policy list.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:13:29 PM
Read the FAQ.

COOL!

imported_Eve
Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:50:09 PM
Neat Ogre.

Anyone getting any errors from the general membership? No one is prolly reading it.

Well that's done!

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 23rd, 2003, 02:59:49 AM
Eve, it's fantastic; great job you!

ReaperFett
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:19:21 PM
Read and like it all I believe, but have a question.

What is a 'sock puppet' and why are they not permitted?
Answer: A 'sock puppet' is a term used to describe an alias (or alternate/secondary) user name, which is used by a member in order to hide his/her identity. Sometimes posters do this to make anonymous complaints. Other times, sock puppets are registered for the purpose of creating a mystery for others (in regards to finding out who the sock puppet is). The staff does not permit use of sock puppets because they have no purpose other than to distract posters, for no valid reason. Sock puppets do not add anything to the forum environment, have nothing to do with any roleplaying or general subject matter, and in fact, usually are just an annoyance. The Staff can trace sock puppets with e-mail and IP address, as well as by said sock puppets behavior. Finding out who the sock puppet is, is inevitable, and therefore a waste of time.

Creating a sock puppet is considered a form of spamming (in regards to drawing attention to yourself), and is therefore not permitted. See the section above on Spamming.
A while back I did a "Who is this baby picture of" thread, and made an alternate ID so that noone would know the obvious that it was me. Does this fall under not allowed now?

TheHolo.Net
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:43:52 PM
I am not saying what you did was wrong....but...the rule you just quoted is well over 3 years old and has been carried over from the FAQ at Fans on ezboard, by no means is it anything new.

The rule is mainly used for "flaming in secrecy" type cases.

ReaperFett
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:50:32 PM
Right, gotcha thanks :)