PDA

View Full Version : Re: Galactic Politics

Alexi Hesith
Jul 16th, 2003, 09:56:32 AM
For those of you who do not know, there is a NR Senate. I am not sure how many Senators there actually are, but we can always do with more.

The full list of NR members, based on existing Senate threads is:

Anobis
Anoth
Arcan IV (NRSF) *
Bonadan
Bothawui *
Calan (NR/Cizerack Pride) IN CONTENTION
Chandrila *
Chiss
Chorax
Clak'dor VII *
Dagobah (GJO)
Dynasine *
Fornax
Gall *
Gand
Helska
Osarian
Ota
Kile II
Kuat *
Mon Calamari*
Nehantish *
Pakrik Major
Pantolomine*
Pil Diller *
Reecee
Roon *
Rudrig *
Sernpidal
Taloraan *
Vortex *
Yavin system (GJO)
Yavin (GJO)
Yavin 4 (GJO)
Yavin 8 (GJO)
Yavin 13 (GJO)

* indicates that the planet has a Senator, somewhere. I have based that on posts I have seen. Can all these Senators please make themselves known. If I have omitted anyone, tell me.

There is one Senate thread going at the moment (again there many be others which I haven't run across). The present thread deals with a debate to fund the military. It's called "Rise to Vote", all are welcome.

Imperial characters are welcome too. We have an Ambassador from the Balmorean Empire and shortly from the Imperial Sovereignty. Others would be fun.

If you want to join in please post here so we know who you are. I will keep the list up to date. Bios are encouraged (include political agenda if pos)

Alexi Hesith
Jul 16th, 2003, 10:13:12 AM
Senator Alexi Hesith from Gall.

Alignment: Moderate

Like many people his age, Hesith grew up during the last years of the Republic. He is not a native of the world he represents. He was born and raised on Alderaan and only came to Gall when his father, an idustrialist, set up a factory on the planet.

Hesith ran the family company as its CEO and during the days of the Empire won contracts for a number of projects. He did not, however, embrace the New Order. The Imperial Occupation of his adopted homeworld caused much suffering and he invested most of his company's profits in charities to help those who were suffering. The collapse off the Empire caused further suffering on Gall as local government fell apart. When Gall finally stabilised and joined the Republic Hesith was one of the planets leaders.

Hesith was elected Senator for the first time ten years ago, on his campaign slogan "A Brighter Future". Since then he has worked tirelessly to secure fuding for Gall's reconstruction programme, championing relief bills, budgets for the arts, education and Health. Thanks to this work Gall is begining to prosper.

Aside from domestic policies, Hesith works tirelessly on Republic wide issues as well. He sits on the Industial Tribunial, the Senate Budgetry Committee, The Judicial Review, and chairs the sub committee on Military Regulation. From his seat in the committee room, Hesith tries to limit the influence of industry and the growing power of the Chief of State. He fears the rise of another Palpatine in the future, and was instrumental in making it illegal for the CoS to declare war with out Senate sanction. As part of his work to reduce the military's power he has taken to voting against any attempt to increase of funding.

As a Senator, Hesith prefers manoever to all out debate. He has learned the value of a "quiet word" and "quid pro quo" in achieving his aims. But that does not mean he avoids debate- on the contrary he embraces it.

Telan Desaria
Jul 16th, 2003, 03:08:39 PM
Note - See other thread. Ison is ours.

If you wish, I could arrange for an Imperial Liaison to be appointed to the Republic, whose prupose is to ensure the proper treatment of Imperial Prisoners of War and vice versa to ensure the Republic that is captured combatants are well taken care of. However, he could become slowly enmeshed in Galacfic politics.

Thoughts?

Senator Kensington
Jul 16th, 2003, 08:53:04 PM
Perhaps... but I think maybe a massive summit, something like Geneva, could prove more enthralling. On a Republic-Imperial neutral world... something like:

The Corellian Accords

or whatever. Representatives from the Republic, each Imperial faction, and whoever else wants to participate.

Mind you, this would not even touch base upon fleet rules, which is OOC anyway, but would include more IC political and diplomatic manueverings and arguments. Sound okay?

Senator Thareena
Jul 16th, 2003, 11:44:55 PM
Senator Thareena of Chandrila, formerly Mon Thareena.

Alignment: Liberal

After the unfortunate death of Senator Maren (brain anuerism in his sleep, the poor old thing), Fa'un Thareena accepted her planet's appointment to the Senate.

She is a born diplomat, and understands her planet's historic struggles with the Empire, which suffered much under the oppression of the Emperor. Thareena went to the top Chandrilan schools, graduating at the top of her class with a policital science masters degree. Soon after that she joined the staff of Senator Maren, getting real world experience as an enthusiastic intern.

Fa'un, personality wise, is soft spoken, and much like Mon Mothma, a legendary Chandrilan, and former Senator of the Old Republic. Political leanings...remain to be fully seen.

Senator Mah Deesan
Jul 16th, 2003, 11:51:31 PM
Senator Mah Deesan of Mon Calamari

Alignment: Conservative Liberal (Don't question me--Taylor knows what I'm talking about ;))

Originally from the floating city of Huerkea, Mah descends from a royal lineage of warriors and diplomats who have fought and stood for peace for nearly as old as the planet of Mon Calamari itself. Mah was born merely months before Imperial forces regrouped the Second Deathstar. His father, General Jon Deesan, commanded alongside Admiral Ackbar's Rebel forces throughout the Galactic Civil War. His mother stayed on the forefront of Imperial plunder, motivating Mon Cal citizens to stand up against occupying Imperial forces. She was captured and held prisonner for several years. After the Second Death Star was destroyed, Imperial occupation was driven out and she was restored to her family. The surviving couple sought the best of education and training for their son, so that he could grow to keep the Deesan legacy of bravery and wisdom alive.

Now, at the age of 38, Mah holds the position of Senator for Mon Calamari in the Galactice Senate. He stands at the helm of a planet which faced much tragedy during the Galactic Civil War. It's healing process has continued, and Mah holds dear the ideals of restoration, peace, and honor among Senators. He believes in diplomacy and he feels that war is always, always the final option. Not quick to draw a weapon against his opponents, he holds security around him to a minimal level, instead holding steadfast to the ideal that "peaceful appearance breeds peaceful interaction."

Since the Galactic Civil War, Mon Calamari and its representatives have reguarded its occupation a travisty that will not stand to be repeated. Thus, he puts his energies into promoting the rights of Member Worlds over the rights of The Republic as a whole, including the planet of Mon Cal primarily. Though he is convservative in his beleifs, he is found on the left wing of most opinions. He is known to rely on the wisdom of the Jedi Council, something his forefathers strongly believed in.

Deesan considers himself a good communicator and will commonly express his opinion when warranted. Though slow to blurt his mind or emotions, when he does speak, it is eloquent and deliberate. He is a true speaker and does so to rally support when needed. He believes in the good of all and his record and ethics are more than crystal clear.

Senator Kensington
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:05:57 AM
Senator Tercer Kensington from Clak'dor VII

Alignment: Moderate Hawk

Tercer was born to the CEO of an arms manufacturer and his wife on Clak'dor VII several months before the Battle of Endor. Later, though he was too young to understand, his older brother joined the then newly formed Republic and became a pilot, against the father's wishes. Tercer grew up learning the business of military technology from his father who gave him a high posting in the company. His education went well, and he excelled at negotiating deals with potential customers with his presentation skills. Though his father was elated at his negotiating abilities, Tercer's attention was more focused on diplomacy and visiting other worlds.

When Merr-Sonn Munitions acquired his father's company, Tercer was promoted steadily and soon became an influential young man on Clak'dor VII. When his father died his brother, now a successful pilot, visited home and introduced Tercer to the New Republic. When his brother was KIA by the Imperials, Tercer decided to dedicate his career to the Republic and ran for numerous offices. After failing several times, he was elected Senator to the New Republic representing Clak'dor VII.

Kensington prefers galactic politics to domestic, and is a notorious hard-liner when it comes to the military. Though his domestic views are neither liberal or conservative, he is staunch in his views against the Imperial factions. The proximity of Clak'dor VII to the Imperial Sovereignty gives credibility to his demeanor.

He believes in a strong central government, and does not fear the rise of another Palpatine, though he looks out for those who could become one. Tercer thinks that the Jedi should not become the puppets of the Republic, and that things are fine the way they are concerning them. He is continually frustrated by Senators from worlds which are in no danger from the Imperials, who see him as a warmonger. He does not press war, but stresses the need to be prepared, and the use of force to punish enemies of the New Republic.

Alexi Hesith
Jul 17th, 2003, 02:34:32 PM
Okay let me work through this.

Telan,On the subject of Imperial reps: great idea. I view the Galactic situation as a kind of Cold War. The NR and Imperial Factions don't get on but they aren't involved in open war. So diplomatic relations are possible, but strained.

If theRise to Vote Thread is pre-your incursion, and if you have a rep in the Senate, when we hear the news there is a question of diplomatic immunity. I think that under Earth's law representatives of hostile powers have 24hrs to leave enemy territory. What if it's the same in SW? Your guy could be a hunted man= v. interesting. Also the debate may effect your invasion, not to mention that he/she can act as a spy.

So get a Sovereignty rep, he can sit in on discussions, even address the chamber- Fel Tarkenton does. You can't vote though. Nothing personal but you are Imperials. Then we have some one to talk to during the aftermath.

Tercer, can we look at this conference idea. Again I like it. If Telan invades the NR it is going to be a full fledged war, with consequences. After the war there should be a conference, like that which formed the UN in 1945. Except this will be about dealing with the NR's problems because of the war. eg: refugees, reconstruction. We can deal with this very tricky problem in that way.

Telan Desaria
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:08:19 PM
Excellent. I won't make a separate character account, I'll just post under Desaria. The name of the character will be:

Moff Anatoly Varianovich Gerion

The attack will not come for several IC months, perhaps one OOC month if not sooner. (once I am satisfied that my 'boys' are doing well)

When it does, the rule sounds standard. Perhaps if he were to seek refuge with a neutral power? What then? They would be obliged to protect him and the Republic could not interfere lest it lose a valued member system/federation. Then he could remain openly on Coruscant an in the Senate halls while you all try to find a way to bring him down.

pm me and let me know just exactly when you would like me to start rping him.

Senator Vobb
Jul 17th, 2003, 04:28:16 PM
The life and times of Feert Vobb, Senator of Pantolomin

Feert Vobb was born to a wealthy family on the planet of Pentolomin, located in the Panto system. When he was old enough, he was sent to Coruscant in order to gain the best education possible. There he learnt the workings of the senate, and the skills needed in business. By putting what he had learnt to good use, he had amassed a large sum of money before he had even left schooling.

Deciding to return to Pantolomin once his studies had finished, Vobb invested his earnings in business. Setting up home in Darak Corta, one of the largest tourist resorts on a planet visited for tourism by people all around the galaxy, he set up a number of businesses, which grew rapidly. It wasn't long before you couldnt go far in Darak Corta without seeing a Vobb business.

But Feert never forgot about Politics. He ran for a position as minister of tourisim in the Pantolomin government, and succesfully held the post until the then-Senator for the NR, Senator Alakkik, passed away after a succesful reign. Vobb succesfully ran for the post, and has been the Senator for the planet ever since.

Vobb has often seen by some to be a hard to please Senator. He is a firm believer in action where action is needed, but often disagrees on military spending, not believing that spending is needed unless absolutely neccesary. He is also not fully trusting of the Jedi, due to their abilities to read things using the force. Vobb isn't a bad man, just a man whos intentions may be misplaced.

Senator Kensington
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:10:47 PM
Sounds good, Telan. Maybe Tercer can exchange words with the good Moff :D

And I just got a great idea. You said it will begin in about a month, right? Well, at the end of August I'm going to have to take a long break from rping because I must focus on school again, plus I have some other stuff going on, but anyway, maybe Tercer could be taken prisoner by the Imperials for that time? It would fill the IC gap.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 19th, 2003, 12:04:50 PM
<a href=http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30754>Rise to Vote</a>

I know there are more of you out there. This RP is pretty interesting, git in there!

Also I figured, since we can't RP every single senator in the New Republic, that the result of the votes would just reflect the ratio indicated by the RPed voters. Does that make sense? So if we have two yes votes and 8 no, then over all the senate voted 80/20 against the Military Levy. Assuming a 100 seat senate.

o_O maybe I'm thinking too much again. :p

ReaperFett
Jul 19th, 2003, 12:35:44 PM
Yes that would be good and right IMO :)

Alexi Hesith
Jul 19th, 2003, 02:34:54 PM
Problem is: How many Senators are there?- RPed or otherwise

Silus Xilarian
Jul 19th, 2003, 02:39:35 PM
The only issue I can see happening is someone playing multiple senators, and having all their characters magically agree with each other, so that they can have things voted like they want.

If it doesnt become an issue, I dont think it should be made into one, but still something to have a gander at.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 19th, 2003, 02:44:57 PM
Ok new rule: one individual RPer can only play one individual Senator? thoughts?

ReaperFett
Jul 19th, 2003, 02:52:24 PM
Either that, or only one vote per RPer counts.

Alexi Hesith
Jul 19th, 2003, 02:54:48 PM
Can we keep to one OOC thread please

Re: Galactic Politics (http://swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30784)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 19th, 2003, 04:50:18 PM
I was under the apparently mistaken impression that the Galactic Politics thread was for senators to post their bios in.

Edit:

If you want threads merged, all you have to do is suggest it to a moderator. There is no reason to copy and paste.

Also, this thread really has less than nothing to do with the Rise to Vote thread. I thought it was only right that it should have it's own OOC thread. But, whatever you want, Hesith, as apparently you're the one in charge now? Except that no one is in charge (unless you want to count the starter of the Senate movement and that was ..oh yeah me. ;)). I merely wanted to bring attention to the thread in RPing, because I thought it was going really well and I wanted to get people's attention on it.

Ryla Relvinian
Jul 19th, 2003, 05:33:59 PM
Forgive me if this is off topic, but is there a senator representing Ryloth?

Taylor Millard
Jul 19th, 2003, 05:54:52 PM
Nope there's not

Figrin D'an
Jul 19th, 2003, 05:56:37 PM
I would post with my senate character to the thread in question, except that I don't really fathom what exactly is going on, even after reading the thread thoroughly twice over. Much of it seems completely unrealistic, beyond the arguments and banter over the proposed legislation.

Anyway... mearly a mini-rant. Carry on.

Senator Thareena
Jul 19th, 2003, 08:08:26 PM
You mean the Sith being there? Yes I agree that its unrealistic. However that's the danger of RPing. People post to RPs.

Figrin D'an
Jul 19th, 2003, 09:04:30 PM
One can always make it closed to non-senate characters, except with specific permission.

Senator Thareena
Jul 19th, 2003, 09:23:54 PM
Which is an excellent idea for the next one. ^_^;

Senator Kensington
Jul 19th, 2003, 09:28:19 PM
Yeah, I agree, Figrin. This is getting out of hand. This was supposed to be a Senate debate thread, not some "every Jedi who feels like it can come and fight in the middle of a Senate debate" thread.

So now what? We just develop our bodyguards as characters and wait for it to be over?

Senator Thareena
Jul 19th, 2003, 09:30:15 PM
Maybe everyone escape and reconvene in another thread to continue the vote?

Senator Kensington
Jul 19th, 2003, 09:35:34 PM
Well, if something remotely like this happened in the U.S. during a joint session of Congress, they would station a couple of infantry divisions around the capitol building and Congress wouldn't meet for a few months. But, seeing as how this is Star Wars, I suppose we could reconvene. Hesith or anyone else agree?

Figrin D'an
Jul 19th, 2003, 09:40:20 PM
Evacuate to a secure area, let the Jedi handle the Sith infiltrator person, then reconviene in the "Secondary chamber."

Senator Kensington
Jul 19th, 2003, 09:43:32 PM
Sounds good. I'll puppet the evacuation.

imported_Marcus
Jul 20th, 2003, 01:03:49 AM
Malice is being incredible lame and bordering on Moder. Talk about fun in thread being sucked out.

Question for ya - instead of inventing a Senator, would there be queires if I shifted one of my existing soldier boy characters into a security grunt or chief?That'll be much more liek I like doing.

Senator Kensington
Jul 20th, 2003, 10:43:57 AM
Yeah, I think that'd be good. Just in case something like this crops up again in the future. Or one of the debates becomes physical :D

Alexi Hesith
Jul 20th, 2003, 11:30:21 AM
Well that was turn up for the books! I wasn't expecting to have a situation like that, I thought Malice would simply wait to attack after the voting ended.

I agree that our threads should be Senate members only. From now on only Senators, Ambassadors and those with invites. Agreed?

Also do we continue with the debate. Or do we start anew?

ReaperFett
Jul 20th, 2003, 11:33:14 AM
I agree that our threads should be Senate members only. From now on only Senators, Ambassadors and those with invites. Agreed?
Slight disagreement. I feel as a rule they should be, unless agreed before that they are not.

Alexi Hesith
Jul 20th, 2003, 11:37:39 AM
Elaborate for these tired old ears.

Fel Tarkenton
Jul 20th, 2003, 11:51:57 AM
basically......at the beginning of the thread, its open to senate characters only....At least, i think thats what he meant ??

ReaperFett
Jul 20th, 2003, 11:57:20 AM
As a rule of thumb, threads are for only Senators, Ambassadors and those with invites. However, sometimes there might be a reason for it NOT to be. Follow?

Alexi Hesith
Jul 20th, 2003, 12:14:18 PM
Oh I see. In case the ambassadors have no reason to be there. Very well I say senators only.

imported_Marcus
Jul 20th, 2003, 03:14:24 PM
Originally posted by Senator Kensington
Yeah, I think that'd be good. Just in case something like this crops up again in the future. Or one of the debates becomes physical :D

Dwayne Hicks at your service, good sirs!

James Prent
Jul 20th, 2003, 06:48:56 PM
Yeah but can Duyane keep his yap shut? :p

imported_Marcus
Jul 20th, 2003, 09:53:20 PM
It's Dwayne and of course he can.

Lord Vali
Jul 20th, 2003, 11:39:44 PM
can he go fetch me a snickers...

Do snickers exist in the SW Universe?

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 21st, 2003, 09:49:36 AM
*snickers*

Of course they do. See? :p

Sorry about the misspell. >_< And Silus, we need to finish a little thing in the RPing section, probably without JenJen if she can't come back yet still. :(

ReaperFett
Jul 21st, 2003, 10:22:12 AM
Don't worry LD, might not be long :)

Senator Kensington
Jul 21st, 2003, 10:52:38 AM
I'm going to start a new thread called "Quorum Call". It will mainly involve a debate between Hesith and I about an amendment to a military regulation. It'll be like regular amendments in that it will first be argued in the committee and then brought before the Senate for ratification. Anyone who wants to sit on the Military Regulations committee can join in the debate and the committee will vote on it. Sound good?

Oh yeah, and we won't have to "yield minutes" and restrict our speeches, unless we already have some kind of restriction. I think LD said something about two posts and then you have to sit down?

Here it is! Anyone who wants to be involved, please pm me or Hesith first :)

Quorum Call (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30871)

Alexi Hesith
Jul 21st, 2003, 11:56:10 AM
As for the rest of us we need another full Senate debate. I have one but I can't get it going until I finish the first part of And the next crisis is?" Whilst you are waiting think "jedi". A sore spot with some of us:grumble

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 21st, 2003, 12:15:24 PM
Hey I like the Jedi! :)

:p

Senator Kensington
Jul 21st, 2003, 12:36:28 PM
Who presides over the Senate when not everyone is there? Solo can't be there all the time. Can I make up a post?

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 21st, 2003, 12:42:40 PM
Go for it. :)

As far as restriciting speeches, it makes sense to allow an opening remark, and then a rebuttal to any opposing arguements. So two posts then? I wouldn't put it in stone, however, just a guideline.

Senator Kensington
Jul 21st, 2003, 12:44:03 PM
Thanks! :)

Sohei
Jul 21st, 2003, 02:23:45 PM
Hey, I have an idea that could be cool, I think.

Y'know how some Senators don't like the Jedi being involved in the Government at all? Y'know, they don't like Helenias? Well, what if they formed a Commission to regulate the Jedi? Something along the lines of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. It's the only thing I can think of right now, there's probably anotehr agency that's closer to what we need. Even though it's great and all, it needs to be regulated.

Questions about whether Jedi should be allowed in the Senate or allowed to do whatever would be decided by the N.R. Jedi Regulatory Commission (NRJRC or whatever we decide), which would actually be a front to minimize Jedi influence in the government. The Bothans would be happy, and several others perhaps IC. What do you think?

(this is Kensington, btw)

James Prent
Jul 22nd, 2003, 01:30:14 AM
I think that several systems might be interested, but overall, such a committee is more like a Witch hunt than anything else. :) But certainly it should be explored. :)

imported_Marcus
Jul 22nd, 2003, 03:07:19 AM
funny, I was thinking somethigng along those lines already. Those int eh Lost, probably will see some similarity between an idea in there and what you said

I'd only say it's not for the senate to say who represents certain sectors / planets, but the angle of certain Senators (i would envisage the corrupt ones, I cant really imagine honest Senators objecting to a Jedi) would be highly hostile to a Jedi senator - there would be a good chance she could pick up their doing something wrong.

FWIW, I'm sure she already hints in her writing that that's the case already. I'll make a note for her to get into this thread and comment.

Alexi Hesith
Jul 22nd, 2003, 03:21:16 AM
The thing with Jedi is this:

Hesith has been asked to prepare legislation to search for new Jedi. See "And the next crisis is?" for details.

imported_Marcus
Jul 22nd, 2003, 03:31:20 AM
;^_^

Reminds me, next post I do had better be well worded

Charley
Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:19:31 AM
Such a commission has existed IRL for years, actually.

Sohei
Jul 22nd, 2003, 07:20:38 AM
Well, yeah... it'd be a way for people who don't like Jedi to put them down with their authority. However, Hesith's legislation would be a prime example. The bill would go before the commission, and depending how many pro-Jedi Senators are on the commission, it would either be shot down or sent to the Senate. Could be interesting, but it'd be inconvenient for the Tohmahawk-Hesith thing.

Senator Kensington
Jul 23rd, 2003, 06:40:11 PM
http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30961

Anyone who wants to, we can continue "Rise to Vote" here.

Telan Desaria
Jul 23rd, 2003, 06:48:28 PM
Hesh, is this where the Imperial attache makes his introduction?

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:46:35 PM
I would say no. :) After this incident they're not going to be keen on letting the enemies of the NR in with all the Senators. :) imho

Helenias Evenstar
Jul 24th, 2003, 04:38:38 AM
I'd say there would be no chance as well

Alexi Hesith
Jul 24th, 2003, 12:50:21 PM
Sadly I must agree. Much as I would love to have an Imperial in on the debate, it is unlikely that you could join the dicussion now. But I have another idea...

Alexi Hesith
Jul 24th, 2003, 01:04:09 PM
Here's my latest idea. All ambassadors in RL present themselves to the Head of State of the country when they arrive for the first time. They bring a letter from their own head of state saying who they are, where they have served, and that they are trusted by the government- this is their credentials. The recieving Head of State then signs a letter saying that they recognise the ambassador as such and that he/she has plena penteniary power (full powers)- they can act on behalf of the government they represent- sign treaties, negotiate- and diplomatic immunity etc.

It might be fun to do a version of that. The Senate meets and Telan's guy is presented for our approval. We debate whether to accept an ambassador from the sovereignty then vote to recognise him and he gets his letter from Organa-Solo. Anyone want to do that?

Senator Kensington
Jul 24th, 2003, 02:13:14 PM
That sounds good. Kensington will be outraged :D

Taylor Millard
Jul 24th, 2003, 02:14:24 PM
Gee you guys all ready show animosity towards Tarkenton of Balmorra.

This should be interesting to watch

Telan Desaria
Jul 24th, 2003, 03:14:24 PM
muwhahah. The senate. Where my ramblings will finally be the status quo! I have found a place to be welcome!!!!

Telan Desaria
Jul 24th, 2003, 03:26:47 PM
ps - should I start such a thread, or do I just ump in

- note please link me to thread if so neccessary -

Silus Xilarian
Jul 25th, 2003, 04:02:42 AM
Tarkenton's a bastard though.........you can only like him if hes on yur side :)

Alexi Hesith
Jul 25th, 2003, 11:21:00 AM
I'll get one going right away....

Okay done

Diplomatic Relations (http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30993)

Who's in?

Senator Kensington
Jul 25th, 2003, 09:43:23 PM
I'd like a part in this. Maybe I can argue some... I like to argue! :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 25th, 2003, 11:04:14 PM
You arguer!

Senator Kensington
Jul 26th, 2003, 04:02:45 PM
That'd be a good name for a ship...

THE ARGUER

eh.. maybe not.

Alexi Hesith
Jul 27th, 2003, 12:20:51 PM
Yes well...

On another topic I have been working on a little something for us to toy with. I have tried to create a constitution for the NR which I have got here for you look at. Your thoughts, comments, and recommendations are v. welcome.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We, the members of the Rebel Alliance, having secured for ourselves and for our children, a New Republic have determined to establish a Constitution of Government. This document lays down the essential workings of our Republican system.
Article I

Section 1. The Rebel Alliance shall hereafter be known as the New Republic.

Section 2.The New Republic shall comprise those worlds that are members of the Rebel Alliance.

Section 3. Should a world wish to join the New Republic it shall be welcomed upon meeting the approval of the Senate and signing this constitution, thereby agreeing to abide the terms laid down in this document, and upon signing the Declaration of Rights thereby agreeing to treat its citizens by the terms of that document.

Section 4. Member worlds and their people are guaranteed certain rights under New Republic Law, as define by this Constitution and the Declaration of Rights these rights are inviolable and may not be infringed by any Act of Senate, Executive Order, or Ruling of the Supreme Court.

Section 5. All recorded citizens of member worlds are automatically granted Citizenship of the New Republic upon the world’s acceptance.

Section 6. All member worlds shall be permitted to maintain their own laws and forms of government but may not commit any act against the laws of the New Republic.

Article II Њ

Section 1.It being our sad experience that absolute power corrupts absolutely it is forbidden to merge the powers of any of the branches of the government with those of another.

Section 2. It is further forbidden that anyone person should exercise the power of any branch with out the concurrence of at least one other.

Section 3. No person may hold any office for longer than the term specified, or hold office in two branches concurrently, nor may any extension of term be granted.

Article III Њ

Section 1. All legislative power granted herein shall rest with the Senate of the New Republic

Section 2. The Senate shall comprise one delegate from each member world of the New Republic; appointed by whatever process they shall choose to employ.

Section 3. The Senate shall have the power to raise funds through taxation laid upon the member worlds of the New Republic, but such taxation must be uniform through out the New Republic, no tax may be levied which exceeds the income of member worlds, nor may tax be laid directly upon the citizens of member worlds by the Senate.

Section 4. The Senate shall have the power to provide, with such funds as may be raised through taxation, for the common defence by maintaining a navy and army.

Section 5. The Senate shall have the power to provide for the common welfare of all New Republic citizens by regulating, through legislation, the areas of education and health.
Section 6. The Senate shall have the power to provide, with such funds as may be raised through taxation, for the relief of the financial burdens of member worlds.

Section 7. The Senate shall have the sole power to declare war, to promulgate treaties, and to enact new laws.

Section 8. The Senate shall determine its own procedures, rules, and customs.

Section 9.The Senate shall pass no law, ordinance, or act as may infringe upon the rights of individual member worlds of the New Republic.

Section 10. The Senate shall pass no law, ordinance, or act as may infringe on upon the rights of New Republic citizens.

Section 11. The Senate shall pass no law, ordinance, or act with out the approval of two thirds of its membership.

Article IV Њ

Section 1. All executive power granted herein shall rest with the Chief of State of the New Republic, who shall hold his/her office for a term of four standard years, together with a Deputy Chief of State.

Section 2. Those wishing to hold the office of Chief of State must be Citizens of the New Republic who have reached the age of reason as held by their species. They shall make their intention to run made know to the Senate no later than fifteenth weeks prior to the election. The Senate shall vote no fewer than two candidates by the end of the twelfth week prior to the election. Those voted as candidates shall then be presented to the citizenry. The election shall take place on the first day of the year via secret ballot open to all citizens of the New Republic who have attained their species’ age of reason.

Section 3. A candidate for the post of Deputy Chief of State shall be subject to the same criteria for eligibility as the candidate for Chief of State. They shall be selected by the Chief of State elect upon their own confirmation as a candidate. The Deputy Chief of State is elected indirectly alongside the Chief of State and is confirmed in his/her position by the Senate. Failing such confirmation another candidate for the post must be found and confirmed by the same method.

Section 4.The Chief of State shall have the power to pass whatever acts of law he/she wishes within the bounds of this constitution. These Executive Orders must be countersigned by the Deputy Chief of State, and may be rescinded by a majority of the Senate.

Section 5. The Chief of State shall have control of the executive branch and all its offices and departments. These are the Treasury, Defence, Welfare, Foreign Affairs, Member Affairs, and Cultural Affairs Departments, and such others as may be created by act of the Senate.

Section 6. The Chief of State shall have the power to appoint such officials as he/she may feel necessary for the administration of the New Republic, with the approval of the Senate.

Section 7. The Chief of State shall be commander-in-chief of all armed forces of the New Republic and shall direct them with the approval of the Senate.

Section 8. The Chief of State shall have the power of veto over all legislation passed by the Senate, but may not exercise this power if the Senate has passed the legislation by unanimous vote. Nor may the power of veto be exercised a second time upon a piece of legislation that has been passed again by the same or greater vote.

Section 9.In the event of the Chief of State being unable to perform his/her duties due to absence or temporary incapacity, the powers of the Executive shall devolve onto the Deputy Chief of State until such time as the Chief of State has returned or recovered.

Section 10. In the event of the Chief of State being permanently incapacitated due to death or disease, the office of Chief of State shall devolve onto the Deputy Chief of State for the remainder of the term. He/she shall then select a new Deputy Chief of State to serve the remainder of the term also, pending confirmation by the Senate.

Section 11.The Chief of State shall hold no other office or any employment during their term. In compensation the Chief of State shall receive a salary from the Treasury, set for his/her term in office by the Senate. Furthermore he/she shall be provided with a residence, and such staff as may be necessary for its maintenance, for the length of his/her term.

Article V

Section 1. All judicial power granted herein shall rest with the Supreme Court of the New Republic, which shall consist of twenty four Justices of the Supreme Court and one Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. The members of the Supreme Court must be qualified in law and shall have served no less than five years as a judge in another court.

Section 2. Members of the Supreme Court shall be nominated by the Chief of State and shall be appointed by a majority vote of the Senate. The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court shall be the longest serving judge in their number. All members of the Supreme Court must be resubmitted for their appointment at the end of every eight years of service.

Section 3.The Supreme Court may rule on all matters relating to this constitution and may rescind any Executive Order or Act of Senate that it feels to be unconstitutional.

Section 4. The Supreme Court may be obliged by the Senate to mediate disputes between member worlds.

Section 5. The Supreme Court shall try all cases of Treason against the New Republic, conspiracy to commit treason, genocide, and grand larceny.

Section 6. Where a crime falls under the jurisdiction of more than one member world the Supreme Court shall have the power to rule on jurisdiction. Should it prove impossible to resolve the matter of jurisdiction then the Supreme Court shall try the case.

Section 7. Member worlds may petition the Supreme Court to try a case that falls under their jurisdiction should they it necessary. The Supreme Court may refuse to try such case, but may be obliged to try the case by a majority vote of the Senate.

Section 8. The Supreme Court shall not pass rulings that violate the rights of citizens, member worlds, or the break laws passed by the Senate.

Section 9. The Supreme Court, with the approval of the Senate, shall create such lesser tribunals, as it shall deem necessary. Officers of these tribunals shall be appointed by the same method as described for the Supreme Court.

Article VI

Section 1. As it is never possible to foresee all possibilities or all the consequences of an action this constitution may be amended.

Section 2. To amend the constitution requires the approval of three-quarters of all the member worlds to be delivered to the Senate within one year of the amendment’s proposal.

Section 3. Where an amendment overrides an existing condition of this constitution the amendment shall take its place, with the original condition being printed with a mark thus δ to indicate its alteration.

Section 4. Where an amendment is a new addition it is to be placed at the end of this document. The article heading being marked thus Њ to indicate it’s addition.

Section 5. Should an amendment be rescinded it shall be marked thus Ђ to indicate its removal from effect. Where the amendment overrode an original condition the original shall be restored to full effect.

Section 6. The deletion of any of the original conditions made herein is strictly prohibited.

List of Amendments

The First Amendment:
Article III

Section 11. The Senate may create such bodies as it feels necessary to aid in the execution of its duties.

The Second Amendment:
Article IV

Section 12. The Chief of State shall have as his/her assistants a cabinet of twelve appointed at his/her discretion.

The Third Amendment:
Article II

Section 4. Serving military officers are hereby excluded from holding any office office outside the Defence Department.

The Forth Amendment:
Article III

Section 12. An Inner Council is hereby created to act on behalf of the Senate when a full session is deemed impractical, or unnecessary. The body shall consist of the Chief of State and ten members of the Senate appointed for two years by the Senate as a whole.

Section 13. All acts passed by the Inner Council must be confirmed by the Senate within six months or they will cease to be in effect.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:32:47 PM
^__^ looks interesting and workable to me :)

Telan Desaria
Jul 28th, 2003, 10:26:19 AM
The Empire has a constitution too.

The Emperor has all power in the universe to do with as he wishes. Such power shall be deligated or ceded to a person he sees fit or has seen fit to chose the proper execution of said power. Any onstruction thereof shall result in the immediate subjugation and destruction of the defiler's world.

Have a nice day.

Ryan Pode
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:22:34 PM
Hear Here!

Alexi Hesith
Jul 30th, 2003, 03:32:18 AM
To who's constitution?

I'm going away until 2nd August. Have fun, and don't miss me too much!

Ryan Pode
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:30:42 AM
Imperial.

Alexi Hesith
Aug 12th, 2003, 02:56:11 PM
Our's is longer:p

Senator Kensington
Aug 14th, 2003, 07:23:27 PM
Well, I suppose Quorom Call (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30871) is done. If I continued rping this to vote in the Senate, would anyone care to actually post in the thread and debate/vote on it?

Oh yeah, and someone post in Diplomatic Relations (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30993)

*coughDESARIAcough* :D

Ryan Pode
Aug 14th, 2003, 07:25:22 PM
He has very limited connection for the next few days to a week.

Alexi Hesith
Oct 26th, 2003, 03:17:44 PM
Salutations all!

I haven't been on the boards for a while, anything happening?

Silus Xilarian
Oct 26th, 2003, 04:17:27 PM
The empire reformed and crushed the New Republic. Now the senate is gone, we're all under the oppression of an emperor who resembles Dr Evil, and the wookies are slaves again. :(

Either that, or nothing happened.........Welcome back

ReaperFett
Oct 26th, 2003, 05:05:54 PM
First option :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 27th, 2003, 04:16:57 AM
The senate threads all died, that's what happened. :cry

Alexi Hesith
Oct 27th, 2003, 01:47:43 PM
Well we must bring them back at once!

Appear, Appear, Appear!

(Sorry, am on Gilbert and Sullivan kick at the moment!)

When last we met dear lady were you not in my office, for a tete a tete? Can we not press on with that?

As for the rest of you we need a debate:

I want to keep the Jedi legislation for the holidays: when Kennsington is around. But...

We were onto a good thing with Rise to Vote. Could we find a way of bringing it back? With out the Sith intrusion preferably!

Thoughts?

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 27th, 2003, 03:22:49 PM
I don't have any thoughts right now, please leave a message at the beep and I'll get back to you when my brain cools.

:p

Jacen Parami
Aug 29th, 2004, 06:06:45 PM
Hi everyone. I want to set up a senate-related character. However, out of the systems un-starred on the list, Gand and Chiss are the only ones I recognise. I can't see myself as a gramatically-confused insect, and I don't really like blue... :/

After consulting the CUSWE, I'd like to apply to be the Senator for Bonadan. I don't know why, but the first thing I thought of when I looked it up was "Texas", and I find that strangely appealing. :) Is Bonadan still availiable? If so, what do I need to do next...aside from create a character?

Thanks!

Senator Kensington
Aug 29th, 2004, 07:05:45 PM
Come back in fifty years after you're senile. Then you're gold.

I think Bonadan is available. You need to think about what kind of political leanings your character will have. Will he be like moi: militaristic and paranoid or like Hesith: a pansy. Thareena's kind of in the middle :D

Jacen Parami
Aug 29th, 2004, 07:13:35 PM
He's not a pansy, but he's not agressive, either. He's militaristic, but cautious, never willing to rush into things without thinking them through. He's not paranoid...just careful. He's retired military...army, in fact. Made it as far as Major, before he went into politics. Oh, and he's bald. :D

I'll go set up an account. :)

Senator Carter
Aug 29th, 2004, 07:31:22 PM
This is me...Senator Carter. Yes, I know, the name isn't exactly original, especially bearing in mind who the picture is of, and who my other avatars are, but...*shrug* meh. Once you get a theme going...:)

Is it too late to get involved with the Bestine thread?

Alexi Hesith
Aug 30th, 2004, 03:21:26 PM
Not at all, post in http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36336 so that everyone knows that you are one our own and when the time is right I shall cue you in. It is too late to be involved in the committee stage, but another voice in the debate would be welcome.

And I'll get you for that pansy line, Tercer!

Senator Kensington
Sep 1st, 2004, 04:39:21 PM
I'm shakin in my boots :D

Redic Scott
Sep 2nd, 2004, 05:06:37 AM
I wouldn't mind joining if you need some senators. Maybe I could make a Contruum senator, that world is pretty important to the NR.

Senator Kensington
Sep 2nd, 2004, 09:19:03 PM
Absolutely, just fashion the personality and beliefs after what you want, or if Contruum is particularly militant or pacifist. It's up to you.

Senator Lorain
Sep 3rd, 2004, 07:26:25 AM
Thanx, where should I post now?

P.S. if this is Redic.

Warui Kakusu
Sep 3rd, 2004, 05:57:31 PM

Man this is so interesting, I'd love to join up but I know nothing of any of the planets, and I lack a home net conection.

Oh well, have fun boys, maybe I'll read some of these huge threads you're all making.

Senator Lorain
Sep 3rd, 2004, 06:38:05 PM
Name: Max Lorain
Species: Human
Homeworld: Contruum
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Dark Brown
Personality: Calm, quick thinking, wise, charming, quick learner
Position: Center

Bio: Senator Lorain grew up in the population capital of Contruum. The planet was one of the more core like worlds outside of the core. He was born to a middle class family with a military history. His father was a Colonel in the Contruum Security Force and at the young age of 13 Max Lorain had to deal with the hardship of his father's death. His father had lead a boarding mission into an incoming vessel, when it when terribly wrong and the ship was blown up by those inside. The death of his dad was a horrible blow to the family.

Upon hearing the news, his mother ran off with another guy and left him at his grandparents. They had raised him as their own and sent him to some of the finest schools on the planet. At 20 Max made the choice to follow his father's footsteps and joined the Contruum military. After years of training and entering Special forces on the planet, he was contected by the NR Special Operations commanders and was invited to join their team.

Upon joining, Max participated in many black ops missions where he saw many horrors of combat, but the words of his father came back to him over and over. Even with them causing so much pain and killing so many people. They were saving countless other lives and ridding the galaxy of horrible people that would like nothing more than to exploit others and conduct illegal actions.

After 10 years of service, Max Lorain left the military came to Contruum once more. When he saw that people needed help and no policition was willing to risk their necks for the good of the people. He saw that all they were doing was getting money for themselvesn and using funds to stay in office. Large corporations were paying them to vote in their favor and gave them enough money to get elected over again.

Max made a vow to become senator and change things. He ran on a platform of truth and friendship. Inviting people to come out and share their feeling with him. With ideas of his own and new ones from newly made friends, he got enough of a following to win. Surprised himself, he took office and started closing down loopholes in place that allowed politians to gain money from company.

As of now, Senator Lorain travels back and forth from Coruscant to Contruum. He does the best he can to stay centered and vote for things he believes is right, having gained the trust of the people of Contruum to do so.

Senator Kensington
Sep 4th, 2004, 10:19:45 PM
Good bio. Sounds like a nice guy :D

Senator Carter
Sep 8th, 2004, 11:50:48 AM
I don't have anything to do right now, so...bio. :)

I added a bit of story in about the planet's history...I hope that's ok. I'm basing the planet (for some strange reason) loosely on Texas. When I read the description of Bonadan, it seemed like Texas to me...and seeing as my avatar has a Texan accent...it all fits. I also hope my bit about the Warlord attacking is ok. I don't know how/when Bonadan entered the NR. It could have been because of the Warlord. It could have been before. I tried to be vague...

Gabriel Carter was born into one of the richest families on Bonadan. Generations before, his ancestors had made a name for themselves through agricultural development, and had, by Gabriel's birth, taken control of almost every farming contracter on Bonadan. One of their major investments was in the fuel industry, specifically in extracting and refining the ingredients for the highly expensive Starfighter fuels used on both sides of the Galactic Civil War.

The splinters of the Empire born after Endor often sought out targets of tactical value in the outer reaches of the galaxy. Unfortunately, Bonadan fitted that description. When an Imperial Warlord attempted to capture the planet. Thankfully, the New Republic was ready to come to her aid.

Carter originally entered service in the Bonadan military. His status in society saw him inducted as an officer with relative ease and, thanks to some clever negotiating between the Carter family and the Bonadan Militia, he found himself in command of a Company assigned to protect Bonadan's fuel industries. Rising through the ranks at a steady pace over his 37 years of service, Carter eventually found himself in a very powerful position, a Lieutenant Colonel, commanding military forces for a large area of Bonadan. Under his command were ground troops and starfighter units, flying the atmospherically-suited Z-95 Headhunter. Though only a small part of the Bonadan military, his unit was instrumental in holding off the Warlord until the New Republic could arrive.

At the age of 55, as was customary on Bonadan, his term in the military ended. Still determined to continue the fight against Bonadan's new enemy, Carter ran for Senator. His military background, and his family's notariety secured him many votes, and he has, ever since, served as Bonadan's voice in the New Republic Senate.

Politically, Carter is a rather cautious man. Having worked with soldiers for most of his life, he appreciates how war affects them as individuals. When he can, Carter will always seek out the non-agressive option. However, he is very aware of the fact that, unfortunately, there are times when conflict is necessary. He will support the more militaristic proposals, but only if there is no other way.

Alexi Hesith
Sep 11th, 2004, 04:11:49 PM
Also an excellent bio. Both of you are military men by training which will no doubt give you advantages in elections (as in the US) and as men dealing with the big issues it is no disadvantage to have such experience either. You will lend much to our threads, I am sure.