PDA

View Full Version : Hit and Fade on Mon Calamari

Hapan Expeditionary Fleet
Jul 16th, 2003, 07:58:58 PM
I am planning an assault on a NR world. Nothing personal, I just want to see some action. I was thinking of attacking Mon Calamari with my fleet. Just a Hit and Fade Attack. Replies?

Charley
Jul 16th, 2003, 08:27:47 PM
Considering that you're a newbie with no other backup, your fleet would consist of a rusty soup can, or the equivalent of such. You could do that, but inert space debris would kick your tail, much less a New Republic patrol.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 16th, 2003, 08:39:22 PM
Much less a NR patrol defending the renowned MonCal shipyards.

Charley
Jul 16th, 2003, 08:42:23 PM
^^^

That too.

Telan Desaria
Jul 16th, 2003, 08:45:55 PM
Plus the indigenous planetary militia, mine fields, required reconnaissance on enemy operational disposition....

Senator Kensington
Jul 16th, 2003, 08:48:41 PM
And I doubt that the Hapans would ever mount a strike against the New Republic.

Charley
Jul 16th, 2003, 08:51:41 PM
You could always mount an assault on the Cizerack Pride*

* would also be utter suicide on your part ^_^;

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jul 16th, 2003, 08:53:50 PM
heh, that boy has about as much effect as throwing a rock at a mountain.....ain't gonna do anything....:lol

Dae Jinn
Jul 16th, 2003, 08:54:05 PM
Why don't you focus on developing your characters?[/broken record]

Senator Kensington
Jul 16th, 2003, 08:54:15 PM
That would actually be fun to watch, I think. Were the Ciz ever in a massive pitched fleet battle?

Charley
Jul 16th, 2003, 08:56:10 PM
The Cizerack haven't been in a massive fleet engagement since the time of the Old Republic, when they clashed against various planetary defense fleets under the coordination of the Jedi. They aren't a superpower, but they do have a decent-sized regional starfleet of around 100 capital ships.

Senator Kensington
Jul 16th, 2003, 08:57:26 PM
And they all have their own ship designs and tactics, right? No ISDs or NB2 Frigates?

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jul 16th, 2003, 08:58:44 PM
*used to help that fleet with another nic but char is awol now because of someone else* :mad

Charley
Jul 16th, 2003, 09:00:29 PM
The core of their starfleet are proprietary designed ships. The Oorru'Gurre'Gurre' class flagship, Korri class battlegalleon, and Seeva class sublight defense frigate are the main capital warships. They have a couple of non-proprietary ships, but most are being researched and reverse-engineered for a new line of Cizerack ships to be made later.

Senator Kensington
Jul 16th, 2003, 09:02:41 PM
That's interesting. It must've taken a lot of R&D to create a whole new type of capital ship with a different doctrine in mind from the regular Star Wars.

Charley
Jul 16th, 2003, 09:08:26 PM
Well, not really. There isn't anything thats a total about-face on the status quo. The ships aren't more advanced than what's around, its just different. They're generally slower, have more armor and shields, less heavy batteries, more tractor beams, etc. The only real difference is that the Cizerack rely on a massive short-range particle cannon for their main defense. They fight with a different mindset, and are more concerned with protecting their ships and ships under their ward, which are often glutted with valuable cargo. They get close and instead of destroying enemy ships, prefer to board them, where a massive influx of Cizerack shock troops will tear apart an enemy crew.

Jul 16th, 2003, 09:35:39 PM
I think my four Hapes Nova Battlecruisers will do quite nicely thank you. And what about the 8 squadrons of Miy'Til Fighters accompying them?

Charley
Jul 16th, 2003, 09:38:48 PM
One Hapes Nova battlecruiser, maybe two.

You're starting from absolute scratch, all by your lonesome.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jul 16th, 2003, 09:43:31 PM
I would say he should quit while he's ahead but he's not....:lol

Senator Mah Deesan
Jul 16th, 2003, 09:43:31 PM
This type of Agression will not stand. . .

Especially against a member world of the New Republic and a world endowed with some sweet fleet technology. :)

Jul 16th, 2003, 09:47:14 PM
Fine, I will conquer some remote world no one has every heard of, but that the Hapans have on their survey records, and start building up the world into a decent production world, eventually capable of building fleet vessels to complement by single fully battle ready Nova Battlecruiser. Would this be an OK action?

Charley
Jul 16th, 2003, 09:50:35 PM
You really need to get other people involved if you hope to be a fleet power, and it also takes a very long time. But yeah, if you follow the rules, common sense & fair play, and aren't a total tool about it, then yes, it will be fine.

But I don't like the odds.

Jul 16th, 2003, 09:56:07 PM
Yeah, it will take a very long time, and I look forward to every minute of it. I know of perhaps three other people that I could probaly get to join me.

Charley
Jul 16th, 2003, 09:57:46 PM
Three people that aren't alternate accounts you set up.

Sejah Haversh
Jul 16th, 2003, 10:12:58 PM
Fleet battles are not what they seem cracked up to be. They are long, difficult to maintain, and supremely boring because each side seems to have endless supplies of ships and fighters. I have never seen an entertaining fleet battle, and it idea of attacking so well a defended planet as a newcomer is ludicrous.

What do you hope to gain by this, and how do you wish to affest us? If you ever take something, you will be relied upon to play out it's every use and character if one of us ever decides to go there. And, if they're like me, we can be quite particular in the details.

Please, I implore you not to do this. It will not turn out how you want it, you will waste your time and aggrivate others. That's about all you'll accomplish.

I'm sorry, but that's the hard truth, hoss.

Jul 16th, 2003, 10:15:14 PM
*Pets the mongoose*
I won't be assaulting the NR, but I think I want to go ahead a build a new Hapan Empire. I don't it's ever been done, and I think I will be able to do all the above, and go into very fine detail. And no Charley, these people aren't other accounts set up by me.

Sejah Haversh
Jul 16th, 2003, 10:17:59 PM
*Beats the living daylights out of H.E.F with a ten-pound sledgehammer for overuse of a really, really lame joke that YOU already got beaten for, Kraken! You's think you would ahve learned by now.*

Please, that joke was funny once, back when Ryla did it first.

Dae Jinn
Jul 16th, 2003, 10:19:31 PM
He is Kraken, Sejah. I think o_O

Jul 16th, 2003, 10:20:27 PM
But I can't get enough of that avatar! Plus, your reply is often very predictable and funny. Oh, BTW, the purpose of creating my new account, this account, was not for infiltration, I am already aware of the rules in the FAQ.

Sejah Haversh
Jul 16th, 2003, 10:22:55 PM
I don't care if it's funny. You know I find no levity in your repeated use of said lame joke and maybe you should just stop using it.

This avatar was not designed for your amusement.

Jul 16th, 2003, 10:26:09 PM
Yeah, I am Kraken. I......Ohhhh, <font size=-2><font color=ff00ff>-I'm not very smart for somebody who claims to read the FAQ-</font></font> I forgot to register my guy in the Character section. Excuse me..............

Sejah Haversh
Jul 16th, 2003, 10:28:08 PM
*Warning: Old Joke*

There is no excuse for you.

[/80's joke]

Jul 16th, 2003, 10:31:47 PM
Your about as fun as Agent Charley at a Barney Convention in Des Moines.

TheHolo.Net
Jul 16th, 2003, 10:32:10 PM
H.E.F./Kraken

Consider yourself warned. Subvert the censor filter again in any way and face disciplinary action.

Sejah Haversh
Jul 16th, 2003, 10:33:38 PM
Agent Charley is fun everwhere he goes. I pity the foo' that don't know that!

Jul 16th, 2003, 10:39:01 PM
Well, that came out of nowhere. I was not expecting that. And here I thought the * in place of the rest of the word was acceptable. Ok, I get the message/Warning.
Anyways, this is way off the original topic. Does anyone else have any opinions on my new idea, or wants to join my little armada?

Ka' el Darcverse
Jul 16th, 2003, 11:09:40 PM
I just want to know if Telan would allow my small task force of Sovereignty ships to blow the HEF out of the water and then go back to my post in the Outer Rim

[/Vice Admiral Aegis Du' Caat]

Park Kraken
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:53:27 AM
I doubt it. The HEF is in no way a threat to the Soveriengty.

Charley
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:56:04 AM
But is a threat to the New Republic? That makes sense.

Alexi Hesith
Jul 17th, 2003, 02:50:21 PM
Clearly a wise man this one!

Telan Desaria
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:10:38 PM
well, we're the big bad arseImps on the block. We're omnipotent.

Aegis....go right ahead. I tire of reading posts by noobs who wish to start out by taking on the big boys. The way to power from zero is simple: you challange those who are lesser than you and expand until you can take down something sizeable as a show of strength.

Have none of these people read Sun Tzu???

imported_STELA'SHLIT'NURUODO
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:21:22 PM
want me to quote it

Telan Desaria
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:30:12 PM
please. Inform this militaristic novice of the benefits of machevellian plotting and cunning subervise brilliance.

Jarek T'chort
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:35:00 PM
Wow, you guys shot HEP down in flames....with some style too might I add lol.

Dae Jinn
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:42:23 PM
That shouldn't go just for military rping newbies either; you have to start at the bottom and work your way up, not just go and do whatever in the heck you want.

All of the Imps have worked on making their own groups bigger by RPING IT OUT! That's how things work, you can't just go "ok, I have 100 billion ships" or whatever. :p

Jul 17th, 2003, 03:56:55 PM
That is what I plan to do now. 2 ships, 1 measly planet, and 3 or 4 RPers. I wonder what this will be in a few years.........

Charley
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:58:08 PM
Space debris.

Jul 17th, 2003, 04:03:35 PM
sez you. I'll sign treatys. Make Deals. Ready Suprises. This will not die in it's infancy.

Droo
Jul 17th, 2003, 04:15:56 PM
Learn to crawl first. Then walk. And then you'll be able to run. Slow down and listen to what those with experience have to say. It's for your own benefit.

Ryla Relvinian
Jul 17th, 2003, 04:16:29 PM
back when Ryla did it first.

ooOOoo... He remembers! :)

But seriously, good luck. This is why I'd never consider fleet RPing, simply because there are a few established peeps who tend to amuse themselves by blowing up those who actually want to try. Oh well, go for it, I say! Wot wot!

*sits back and waits for the battle with 3D glasses on*

Jul 17th, 2003, 05:49:13 PM
I now have three people, including myself, that are a part of the HEF. I'll send out more invintations, but I am now saying this aloud, "Does anyone want to join the HEF in it's quest?"

Morgan Evanar
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:45:28 PM
I'm not going to bother to fleet RP until the people I consider morons aren't doing it anymore.

There are a lot of people who just don't bother because fleeting completely lacks the fair play of regular RP.

Telan Desaria
Jul 17th, 2003, 06:47:03 PM
indentify the Morons of whom you speak...

Senator Kensington
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:04:12 PM
I guess this is still a touchy subject...

imported_Marcus
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:37:11 PM
Fleeting has always been the bastard son of RP here, because it has been, consistently and regualrly been reamed by bad players, over competiveness and petty point scoring. And while fair play have become something most RP'ers cling to, Fleets seem to throw that out the window.

Morgan speaks truth.

ReaperFett
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:41:08 PM
I feel a more diplomatic way to put it would be that fleets are harder to do fairly.

imported_Marcus
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:05:20 PM
Oh rot. Fleets can be done fairly just like any roleplay can be done fairly. It's that players have not wanted to.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:13:54 PM
I'd say about 75% of the fleet RPers do it badly.

Oh rot. Fleets can be done fairly just like any roleplay can be done fairly. It's that players have not wanted to. I'm in total agreement with that statement. The vast majority seem to just throw any sense of reality aside and go for the supposed planet moneypot.

victory72
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:17:59 PM
Originally posted by Marcus
Oh rot. Fleets can be done fairly just like any roleplay can be done fairly. It's that players have not wanted to.

That is correct. Though the design of our rpg forum involves simple turn based battle strategies, the format is a unique set up that allows characters to safely build their characters and units.

It is quite simple for noobs and allows all beginers to safely build their character. On higher levels, the game becomes more advanced. Perhaps fleeting can take the same turn with more advanced message board programming.

*our site by the way:
Jedi Conflict: Rise of the Empire (http://blazingtiger.p8o.com/jediconflict)

http://blazingtiger.p8o.com/jediconflict/banner.gif

Pierce Tondry
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:22:30 PM
Can you please not spam with recruitment links? That's a bannable offense.

ReaperFett
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:42:25 PM

It is not "rot". It is my opinion. I'm sorry that don't bow to your superior knowledge of fleet RPs, but I am allowed my own opinion. I tried RPing fleets, I found it hard to do fair. So now, here is where you say I'm clearly a bad RPer. Chop chop :)

imported_Marcus
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:54:11 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
It is not "rot". It is my opinion. I'm sorry that don't bow to your superior knowledge of fleet RPs, but I am allowed my own opinion. I tried RPing fleets, I found it hard to do fair. So now, here is where you say I'm clearly a bad RPer. Chop chop :)

Weeeeeeell bully for you. I've done them in the deep dark past and the fact was, there was not a scrap of difference to any other RP in difficulty. The secret is negotiation, communication and willingness to fair play. Feelt Rpe'rs in the main dont have the willingness to do any of those and while that is a blanket statement, it can be backed up by evidence on the number fo Fleet Rp isses that have come up here.

I'm not going to say your a bad roleplayer, just that at times you want to argue just for the sake of arguing.

Ka' el Darcverse
Jul 17th, 2003, 11:37:00 PM
Wow ummm I take my posting very seriously and never once here have I been accused of GMing in fact I make it a point to talk to people I am rping with to make sure they are kosher with what I do, negotiate trade off's small victories and defeats for my Fleet character. By saying 75% of fleet rpers don't rp fairly is just a bs way of flaming people without actually saying their names.

It must take an awfully big man to take pot shots across the bow. If you don't like Fleet Rping then stay out of it, if you think people aren't adhering to common sense then report it or if you are a mod do something about it, call in frikkin' Agent Charley to do a bit of Public Humiliation, that we all seem to love so much.

So far the people I've come into contact with that fleet rp have been nothing but good people willing to compromise and work with those who don't come in and say "Fleet RPing Sucks". Taylor Fleet RPs, Silus, Myself, Telan. We are all willing to work with people in our rps, if you don't like something or are uncomfortable with something in a fleet rp mention it, we will happily work with you.

But to simply come in and Say Fleet Rping Sucks is flaming a group of dedicated and talented rpers simply because of a few bad apples.

That's my two cents anyways

Pierce Tondry
Jul 18th, 2003, 12:22:54 AM
Ahem. Another argument on the subject of fleet RP is pretty much unnecessary. I think we need to simply agree to disagree on this subject.

Does that jive with you cats?

Thug
Jul 18th, 2003, 12:25:55 AM
Here is an idea.... Why don't people that have a problem with Fleet RPing, Just ignore any threads that have to do with fleet...

Pilot Akito
Jul 18th, 2003, 03:38:16 AM
Oh no, not Fleets again. I guess I'd better hit the deck with the Spaceballs the <strike>Flame</strike>Water-Thrower

Droo
Jul 18th, 2003, 06:57:42 AM
Problem != fleet roleplaying.

Problem = bad fleet roleplaying.

Originally posted by Pierce Tondry
Ahem. Another argument on the subject of fleet RP is pretty much unnecessary. I think we need to simply agree to disagree on this subject.

Does that jive with you cats?

I think it's important that this is discussed at every turn until one day, God willing, the problem will be resolved. We share a community, if members are collectively unhappy about an aspect of said community then I think it should be made a point not to sweep the issue under the carpet.

ReaperFett
Jul 18th, 2003, 07:21:58 AM
But what can be done? More rule changes?

Let me take a scenario. SD vs SSD. If the SD wins it would have to be by either an agreement between the RPers or by GMing, as there is no way it could outgun a SSD. But for the SSD to use it's full power is also unfair, as that would cripple the SD rapidly. How can you make that fairer? Limit ship size? That just means giving less ship choice, and meaning some peoples RPs are ruined as they lose their flagship. Also, that means a huge ungunned ship is illegal while a small ship with guns piled upon guns is.

And Dru, the problem is, no matter how many rule changes happen, will the people complaining actually return?

Senator Kensington
Jul 18th, 2003, 07:44:27 AM
Well, Marcus, if fleeting is like every other kind of roleplaying, what do we do when some "n00b" comes in with uber force-powers and mad lightsaber skilllz?

Charley
Jul 18th, 2003, 08:24:43 AM
I've never had a problem with fleeting (seeing as I used to be a Fleet mod, even, and I have several "fleet" accounts). Its just an issue of picking the bad apples out of the bushel. I enjoy it every now and then, though I don't do it too often, as it can get tedious at times, and there isn't a big outlet for character development in the genre.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 18th, 2003, 02:58:27 PM
I could beat a SSD with a SD. So, ha!

Of course it would destroy both of them, but that's besides the point. Ramming right into the middle of the SSD is legal, right? :mischief

Anyway, who out there *has* SSDs? The Balmorran Empire has one, and I think the Sovereignty has one?

imported_Marcus
Jul 18th, 2003, 04:44:25 PM
Originally posted by Senator Kensington
Well, Marcus, if fleeting is like every other kind of roleplaying, what do we do when some "n00b" comes in with uber force-powers and mad lightsaber skilllz?

They get a visit from Agent Charley

Senator Kensington
Jul 18th, 2003, 08:45:37 PM
So are you saying there are just too many idiots out there who want to fleet rp that it can't be regulated like regular rping?

Park Kraken
Jul 19th, 2003, 07:41:20 AM
Yes, the Soveriengty has one. Not that it matters. Now, take a ISD MK2, VS a Glorious class Battleship (one of my proposed designs that was denied). The Glorious Battleship not only has superior shields that would mean it wouldn't be destroyed when rammed, but it has a lot more starfighters than an ISD, more guns (somewhere around 350 more), finally, it has Gravity Well Generators that prevent the ISD from escaping. What would one do in a situation like this?

imported_STELA'SHLIT'NURUODO
Jul 19th, 2003, 09:37:43 AM
are you asking for ideas? or just braging?

Alexi Hesith
Jul 19th, 2003, 11:15:56 AM
Goddamn his eyes! Blast the blighter! Tally ho!

*looks at stats again*

RUN!

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 19th, 2003, 11:54:42 AM
a Glorious class Battleship (one of my proposed designs that was denied).

So they don't exist, so it's a moot point.

Charley
Jul 19th, 2003, 05:09:35 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Kraken
Yes, the Soveriengty has one. Not that it matters. Now, take a ISD MK2, VS a Glorious class Battleship (one of my proposed designs that was denied). The Glorious Battleship not only has superior shields that would mean it wouldn't be destroyed when rammed, but it has a lot more starfighters than an ISD, more guns (somewhere around 350 more), finally, it has Gravity Well Generators that prevent the ISD from escaping. What would one do in a situation like this?

Ban you for godmoding?

Sejah Haversh
Jul 19th, 2003, 08:06:31 PM
I bet it doesn't have twin cupholders or an 8-Track player with Quadrophonic sound.

Oh yeah, Tevit's piece-of-crap ship still bumps the funky beats, y'all.

Senator Thareena
Jul 19th, 2003, 08:09:14 PM
I want a ship with cup holders, dammit!!

ReaperFett
Jul 19th, 2003, 08:26:51 PM
But what size? Alllllllllllways the key.

Senator Thareena
Jul 19th, 2003, 08:54:37 PM
Big enough for the supersize drinks from McDonalds!!

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 19th, 2003, 08:58:42 PM
ill take the one that has the fold down seats in the back thankyewverymuch :D

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jul 19th, 2003, 09:01:31 PM
ever hear of the old legs method? geez kids today.....:lol