PDA

View Full Version : Stuff they're gonna have to do to make Ep.3 blend to Ep. 4.

Ryla Relvinian
Jul 11th, 2003, 01:21:21 AM
Thought we might start one of these up, just for grins and giggles. What do y'all forsee, whether in the costumes, hair, set design, technology or whatever, to get Ep. 3 to at least come close to matching Ep. 4?

ReaperFett
Jul 11th, 2003, 03:21:19 AM
Bad hair.

Bluntman
Jul 11th, 2003, 11:16:50 AM
Ruddy ships and stiff lightsaber fighting... :x

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 11th, 2003, 11:59:20 AM
Well the ships will happen to some degree, I think we see the Imperial ships look more like the ones in ANH, Star Destroyer type ships and Tie-Fighter type ships. We also might see other ships looking more like Y-Wings and X-Wings but really the reasons those ships looked beat up is because the Rebellion didn't have the funds to get new ships. About the Lightsaber fighting well I don't see that because realize in ANH it was an old man vs a half cyborg there is noway either one would be jumping around fighting it had to be that way. I am expecting a duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin that might be closer to tone to Vader-Luke but there should be a lot of cool fights in Episode 3, it depends on how many Jedi Anakin, Dooku, and possibly Palpatine take on.

Figrin D'an
Jul 11th, 2003, 12:50:11 PM
Lightsabre hilts... there has to be, at the very least, some kind of transitionary step, showing Obi-Wan and Anakin using sabres closer those we see in ANH. Ideally, Anakin will use the exact same sabre that Obi-Wan gives to Luke, at least for part of the film.

Early forms of Imperial officer uniforms, I'm sure.

Continued evolution toward things like Star Destroyers, AT-ATs, TIE craft, etc.

Ryla Relvinian
Jul 11th, 2003, 01:14:48 PM
I really hope (although this is never going to happen) they focus less on special effects and work more with the script. :)

JMK
Jul 11th, 2003, 02:56:07 PM
:lol
That's never going to happen!

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jul 11th, 2003, 07:05:52 PM
What they need to show:

The Splitting of the twins to Alderaan and Tatooine, which is why Anakin will fight Obi, angered of the hiding of the children.

The Growth of the ships.

A Younger Grand Moff Tarkin

The Introduction of the Mon Calamari, showing the first few as slaves.

Anti-Human riots

More Space Battles

Obi/Anakin Battle where Anakin gets torn up even more.

Padme, after watching her husband go evil, declares that the man she marrried was dead. Remarries Bail Organa, and never tells Leia about her brother Luke because she believe the transport carrying Obi and baby Luke to Tatooine was destroyed.

During the last 5 minutes of the film, we will find Obi-wan carrying a small bundle emerge from the crashed transport in the middle of a Tatooine Sand Storm.
He will be clothed in a tattered cloak, guant, and weak when he finally reaches Luke's Aunt and Uncles place. He emerges from the still raging sand storm, knocks on the door. Owan appears with Rifle, can't make out who he is. "Watch over him, he is the galaxies only hope" Obi says as he hands over Luke. Obi then turns and disappears into the storm.

And at the very end of the movie, they should show the signing of the Alliance in one scene.
Then show the second scene with a Imperial Shuttle Dropping out of Hyperspace flying toward the framework of the Death Star. With Imp Star orbiting around it.
3rd Scene is in Star Destroyers Deck around show a battered Anakin getting his Vader Armor and adopting the name bowing to Papaltine.

Imperial Music Blaring.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 11th, 2003, 08:25:06 PM
That is pretty good I could see some of that happening easily.

Sohei
Jul 11th, 2003, 08:26:02 PM
Sounds like you wrote it, Dyzm. :D

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 11th, 2003, 10:49:03 PM
Well, i can tell ya all that Wookiees feature heavily. There have been several basketball teams recruited to pull on Wookiee outfits.

So maybe we're at Kashyyyk for some?

What I would suggest is that, like Ryla said, throw away the toys and hire a decent script writer, because this one will depend on the story. I dont have much hope

Figrin D'an
Jul 11th, 2003, 11:11:17 PM
Originally posted by Dark Lord Dyzm

Padme, after watching her husband go evil, declares that the man she marrried was dead. Remarries Bail Organa, and never tells Leia about her brother Luke because she believe the transport carrying Obi and baby Luke to Tatooine was destroyed.

This wouldn't quite jive with the original trilogy. Leia knows of Obi-Wan... it's clear that he is somehow tied to Bail Organa during the Clone Wars, hence her knowledge of him in her message inbedded within R2. She will have to learn of this at some point, if not from Padme, then from Bail.

Ryla Relvinian
Jul 11th, 2003, 11:39:13 PM
I've heard that this one will have a smaller budget for visual effects which, I hope, means that they are focusing the wide-angle plot down to what really matters. What I mean by that is you don't see Naboo, Gungans, Coruscant, etc etc etc in the OT. There has to be a way to wrap up all of these plot threads in a timely manner and still emphasize what is important (which I think Dyzm outlined beautifully) and get it more in the mood of ep4.

Figrin D'an
Jul 12th, 2003, 12:25:10 AM
I've heard the same thing... supposedly, the first 20-30 minutes or so will have the major battle sequence for the film, then the focus narrows to the Anakin, Padme, Obi-Wan, Palpy, Dooku, the Jedi Purge, and the rise of the Empire.

I still think Jar-Jar should kick the bucket... not because I hate him (which I don't), but because his death would symbolize the innocence that the galaxy once possessed being completely shattered.

And the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel needs to kick some serious booty.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jul 12th, 2003, 01:40:34 AM
Hmmm, yes, Leia knows of Obi... Perhaps another Jedi? Or family friend? Someone.

But thats my talent, creating original things? Nope, no skill what so ever. Taking a story, movie, video game, I can see the problems and fix it to fit what I see as entertaining.

Ryla Relvinian
Jul 13th, 2003, 11:44:09 AM
I think Jar Jar should bite it as well, but only because he's annoying. And he's annoying in a different way than you might suspect. He's annoying because of all the "racist" hoopla surrounding his performance and not, initially, because of his actual place in the story or mannerisms or whatever. It seems that whenever there is an alien race, some hippie group always takes offence at it.

Bluntman
Jul 13th, 2003, 05:36:25 PM
Originally posted by Dark Lord Dyzm

He will be clothed in a tattered cloak, guant, and weak when he finally reaches Luke's Aunt and Uncles place. He emerges from the still raging sand storm, knocks on the door. Owan appears with Rifle, can't make out who he is. "Watch over him, he is the galaxies only hope" Obi says as he hands over Luke. Obi then turns and disappears into the storm.

Owen knows too much about Luke and his father for Obi-Wan to be so blant. If Luke is still a baby, he wouldn't know he was Luke. Plus, Anakin dosen't know of the birth of Leia. And I think he only notices the birth of his son when he felt him during the death star scene in ANH. Or the Emperor forseen him. I only guess that Anakin has no knowledge of his children or that Obi-Wan is still alive. maybe he fights Obi, but believes he is killed somehow. Padme gives bith and the twins are hidden. She asks Obi-wan to hide Luke, and she hides Leia (hence the scene in ROTJ where Leia remembers something about her mother). This seems a little more right to fit the story line. Obi-wan, thought to be dead by Anakin who becomes Vader, remains on Tatooine where he watches over Luke. Vader reports that his master is dead hence the scene in ANH (Tarkin: surly he must be dead by now). Of course this is all a guess.

I also think that Anakin turns to the darkside first, blaming Obi for the death of his mother. But something happens to Anakin when they fight, and he is gravely injured. Obi presumes he is dead. Palpatine pities Skywalker and saves him with cybernetic technology. Obi fights the new Darth Vader and learns the fate of his padawan. Immediately after this Padme gives birth. After Vader thinks he has killed Obi, he returns to Palpatine. Obi, who isnt dead but has Vaders lightsaber jammed in him somewhere, he returns to Padme and gives her the grave news. Padme gives Luke to Obi who hides him like I explain above. Padme hides leia too. The rest of the movie details the decline of the New Republic and the trials of Vader and Palpatine against the Jedi. Yoda knows of the evil and rallies the Jedi, but is defeated. Mace falls to Vader and Yoda retreats until all the Jedi are destroyed. Yoda hides on Dagobah and is also presumed dead. He learns the fate of Luke and Leia from Obi-wan and forsees his day to train Luke, remaining in hiding to wait for the only hope against Palpatine and Vader.

With the new clone army, the free planets of the universe fall victim to the Empire. And after Palpatine takes full control over the Core Worlds, he sets a campaign to take over the Outer worlds. The survivors of the Core take-over flee to the Outer Rim where Mon Mothma, a former senator of the Republic forms the Rebel Alliance, combining the power of the Outer worlds to keep the Empire at bay. Meanwhile, the Emperor finishes contruction on the Death Star and accquires this weapon to finish his galactic takeover where he begins with Yavin IV which is a known location of the Rebel base (thanks to Solo). This ends the 3rd movie and ANH begins.

This is my guess on the movie that makes the best sense based on my knowledge of the movies. Not bad huh?

Bluntman :smokin

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 13th, 2003, 09:21:04 PM
Well about Anakin and his children there are two possibilities. First he knows nothing Obi-Wan conceals this from him. Second he finds out that Padme is pregnant but something happens. My guess is he will think she is dead. Palpatine might try to take her out but she is saved but Anakin might not know this and Palpatine will tell him that the Jedi took her and his child from him and will blame Obi-Wan for it. This will cause Anakin to go into such anger that he will turn to the darkside and that will lead to the famous fight with Obi-Wan.

Figrin D'an
Jul 13th, 2003, 10:45:36 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Palpatine might try to take her out but she is saved but Anakin might not know this and Palpatine will tell him that the Jedi took her and his child from him and will blame Obi-Wan for it. This will cause Anakin to go into such anger that he will turn to the darkside and that will lead to the famous fight with Obi-Wan.

This is fairly close to how I see it playing out. Anakin thinks that Obi-Wan and the Jedi convinced Padme to abandon her relationship with him because of it being a violation of the Jedi Code, and because of his "unstable" behavior (showing increasing darkside tendancies).

I've always been of the opinion that Anakin knows that Padme gave birth, and that he has a child somewhere out there in the galaxy, but that he was never able to find him/her. (Because of the pain of his past, he refuses to ever set foot on Tatooine ever again, thus making it a relatively safe location to hide Luke, and Padme and Leia "disappear" thanks to Bail Organa.) Anyway... only when Vader/Anakin finds out the name of the pilot that fired the kill shot on the first Death Star does he finally realize he's found his long-lost child. Not knowing that Padme was pregnant with twins, he doesnt know anything about Leia's lineage until the final confrontation between he and Luke on the second Death Star.

I'm pretty sure that Vader/Anakin knows that Obi-Wan is alive and well after their big confrontation that maims Anakin. It's just presumed by Tarkin that, after so many years of seeing no sign of any Jedi presence in the galaxy, Obi-Wan must have died. Vader knows better, of course.

I also think that, as part of his initiation to the Dark Side, Anakin will kill Dooku. Palpatine will manipulate things so that Anakin will have a shot at revenge against Dooku for taking his arm, and Palpatine gets a potential threat to him (in Dooku) out of the way and takes on an apprentice whom is much easier to control.

I'm also inclined to believe that there is no way the Death Star goes from schematic planning to completed project in 2 years time. ANH makes it appear that the Death Star was just completed shortly before the opening of the film, which would be 18 years after Episode III. Maybe we'll see the superstructure of the station being assembled... just enough to make it an ominous image near the end of the film... but nowhere near functional.

And... for the love of God... let some of the characters show some emotion in this one. Anakin was portrayed pretty well in AOTC, but Natalie Portman needs to take it upon herself to bring out Padme's humanity in Episode III. Her entire life is going to be crumbling around her... her husband turning to evil, the Republic failing, war raging... I want to see emotional breakdown, darnit! ;)

Bluntman
Jul 13th, 2003, 10:58:39 PM
Well, aren't we the geniuses... :D

Bluntman :smokin, again

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 14th, 2003, 01:28:59 AM
And... for the love of God... let some of the characters show some emotion in this one. Anakin was portrayed pretty well in AOTC, but Natalie Portman needs to take it upon herself to bring out Padme's humanity in Episode III. Her entire life is going to be crumbling around her... her husband turning to evil, the Republic failing, war raging... I want to see emotional breakdown, darnit!

I dont care what type of wraps Portman has as an actress, in the SW prequels she flat out sucks. She could be replaced by a plank of wood with no loss of effect. That MUST change.

Jedieb
Jul 14th, 2003, 05:54:36 AM
I've seen her act rather well in other films. I wouldn't blame her entirely for how her character has come across. If you're not ALLOWED to act....

I really wish Luke and Leia's conversation on Endor had been cut a bit. Lucas really painted himself into a corner by having Leia tell Luke she had memories of her mother. He almost did the same thing with Anakin's transformation to Vader but he edited those lines out of Ben's visit to Luke on Dagobah. I think Padme's death in the last few minutes of EP3 would have provided some GREAT drama. Now her death will probably occur off screen and I HATE IT when major characters are killed offscreen.

I think we might see some kind of design change in the Clonetrooper armor. There may even be more images and info on the Death Star. I don't think they could just throw it out there at the end of AOTC without having more planned for it in EP3.

Ryla Relvinian
Jul 16th, 2003, 01:14:14 AM
Yeah, I think she could only do so much with what she had been given in terms of script. Still, I think it odd that she would seemingly not even try to emote. At all.

darth_mcbain
Jul 16th, 2003, 09:05:43 AM
Originally posted by Jedieb
I really wish Luke and Leia's conversation on Endor had been cut a bit. Lucas really painted himself into a corner by having Leia tell Luke she had memories of her mother.

Is it possible that Leia doesn't have actual memories of Padme, but she has memories of her through the Force? She is strong in the Force, although she doesn't realize it. She says that she only has images and feelings of her Mother. At the end of ROTJ, she says Luke is alive "I can feel it". Maybe it is the same thing - it is possible that she never had much contact with Padme, but she has feelings and images through the Force.

Figrin D'an
Jul 16th, 2003, 06:16:19 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
I've seen her act rather well in other films. I wouldn't blame her entirely for how her character has come across. If you're not ALLOWED to act....

Oh, I don't blame her entirely. In her other films, she has been very good. I just thing that she needs to take it upon herself to make Padme a more emotionally complete character because it's obvious that she isn't getting any help from the directing end of the process. If she doesn't do it herself, it won't happen. Sadly, it's that simple.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 16th, 2003, 07:04:39 PM
About Padme not sure how that will go, it will depend I feel on how much time transpires in the movie. Also how old does someone have to be to remember some one a year? I guess we will have to wait and see. I still think its doable if Padme survies she might die a year or two later of a broken heart. Yoda might tell Obi-Wan Padme doesn't have much longer to live. Also I guess we can squash all those Mon Momtha theories as she has been cast.

Peter McCoy
Jul 18th, 2003, 11:09:37 PM
How about a scene were two guys have a bet, and one of them loses their ship to the other? :)

James Prent
Jul 22nd, 2003, 01:16:47 AM
Would be nice, but they'd only be about five years old. :p

Doc Milo
Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:21:04 PM
About whether or not Anakin/Vader knew about having any children.

According to the RotJ novelization (which of course can be contradicted -- as it has with Owen being Obi-Wan's brother) Anakin did not know that Padme was pregnant.

It also hints that Anakin left and joined the dark side before actually donning the suit (which makes sense, otherwise why would Obi-Wan be fighting against him in that fateful scene where he falls into the lava pit and crawls out with the darkside burned into him....)

My sense is that Episode 3, more than anything else, has to be about betrayal. Anakin will betray the Jedi, luring them in great numbers to their doom. He will go by the name of Vader, and play both sides for a while, the Jedi trusting him as he lures them into traps. When his treachery is discovered, Padme is the one to discover it -- and she reveals what she discovered to Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan, confronts Anakin, trying to sway him back to the good side, but Anakin overpowers his Master and escapes, leaving for good to join Palpatine. Only after this does Padme discover she is pregnant. Obi-Wan goes in search of Anakin. The movies spans a period of nine months as Obi-Wan searches for his padawan. When at last they meet, Anakin has become a full-fledges Sith. He and Obi-Wan duel, Obi-Wan constantly trying to sway Anakin back to the good side. Anakin slips into a lava pit, leaving his lightsaber behind. Obi-Wan sees him being helped out of the lava on the far side by Palpatine. The look he gives Obi-Wan shows Obi-Wan that Anakin is forever dark. Obi-Wan escapes; Palpatine saves Anakin by converting him to mostly cyborg. Obi-Wan, had picked up Anakin's lightsaber. He returns to Padme, and explains what has happened. "Then, Anakin Skywalker is truely dead," she says. Obi-Wan hands out Anakin's lightsaber, "No," she says, "give it to Luke when he's of age. Tell him . . . his father wanted him to have it . . . " He takes Luke and Padme takes Leia. She lives on Alderaan as the handmaiden to Bail Organa's wife. He takes Luke to Tatooine. In the last scene, we see Vader in the suit.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 24th, 2003, 11:49:29 AM
Actually I think the last seen will be on Tatooine with Obi-Wan giving Luke to Owen and Beru to me that would be a good way to end it giving the audience hope. Other wise what you got there is very good Doc I think it would work.

JMK
Jul 24th, 2003, 04:21:29 PM
I like the general premise, but I'm not sure if Anakin will be in the best condition to be giving Obi Wan dirty looks after knocking him into a pit of lava! :lol

Well done!

Jedi Knight Sui-Gro
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:31:49 PM
I agree with you Carr, Luke did fight a little more like Obi-wan does in the prequels. Although Obi-wan and Vader fight a little slower, i think it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

ADarksideJedi
Oct 28th, 2003, 06:11:10 PM
I have no idea how they are going to put all that is supose to happen in the third movie and have it match with the fourth!I mean first of all Ankin and the queen has to to have the twins and then I think Obi one hides them away from Ankin all the jedi's have to die becaues in the forth one Someone says that "Ankin with the Empire hunt down all the jedis and killed them!
How is all going to happen in one movie? Anyway I am looking forward to this movie so I hoped they do it good! This one might be my favorite of all six of them!JM

JMK
Oct 28th, 2003, 11:51:20 PM
A lot does have to happen in Episode 3. I'm expecting a fast paced movie, and not faced paced in the good way. I believe it will be paced like TPM where the movie jumps from event to event to event so quickly that proper attention won't be paid to each situation. Also look for many Jedi to be slaughtered in large fell swoops, not individually picked off like we think Vader should do. I think that most of the linking and blending that Episode 3 will make to 4 is going to lie in the visuals, styles, uniforms, and ships. Lucas has always been a visual director, Episode 3 will be no different. People will have to see the associations instead of understand what happens because as some feel, Lucas isn't exactly the best at presenting a clear picture of what's going on.

JediBoricua
Nov 5th, 2003, 01:37:05 PM
An image I've had in my mind for a couple of months now is a 'mirror' image between Ep3 and ROTJ. I'm talking about the 'Throne Room' scene(s) where Palpatine is tempting Luke to kill him with his lightsaber. I expect the same thing with Anakin, but unlike Luke he falls to the Darkside by killing Dooku and taking his place at Palpatine's side.

But of course this is more wishful thinking than anything else, because with all the stuff that hast to happen and all the dramatic turns that will happen (Mace dying, Portman giving birth, Obi and anakin dueling, the Rise of the Empire, Vader's first appearance, etc), there wont be much time to spent on a big Dooku/Anakin duel.

I can still hope.

JMK
Nov 5th, 2003, 05:29:33 PM
Boricua you do realize that the Palpatine seducing Luke scene is rumored to happen, except not to kill Dooku, but to kill Windu. Can you guess what he decides to do? ;)

JediBoricua
Nov 8th, 2003, 09:59:09 AM
Don't spoil me JMK!!!! Do not tempt me! :P But if what you say is true, even better!!!!

I'm avoiding all spoilers, rumors, and official info, so I really have no clue what is going on!!!

JMK
Nov 8th, 2003, 10:50:14 AM
:lol :wings