PDA

View Full Version : To anyone who knows SW ships.

Solomon Daenal
Jul 8th, 2003, 06:59:53 PM
For my current thread I need a ship, a fighter to be exact, that is like no other. However, I don't really know anything about star wars fighters beyond the X-Wing and Tie Fighter (and I don't even know a whole lot about them.)

My fighter idea is : 13 meters long, 12 meter wing span, laser cannons, specialized hull which mirrors the images of its surroundings making it invisible to sight, cloaking device enabling the craft to be undetected by sensors, and a bomb hold capable of carrying large payloads for a craft of its size.

I would like to know if a vessel like this already exists, because if it does that kind of kills the plot I was going for. If one doesn't I also want to ensure no one has any objections with the idea.

Any constructive input would be great. Thanks.

Dae Jinn
Jul 8th, 2003, 07:10:26 PM
Uh, I dunno if this will help or not, but it has stuff on ships :)

http://frankg.dgne.com/swsv/index.shtml

Charley
Jul 8th, 2003, 07:20:16 PM
No dice on the cloaking device, which is too bulky for a starfighter, and would be impractical anyway.

Figrin D'an
Jul 8th, 2003, 07:25:17 PM
Cloaking devices also completely block the ships own sensors from seeing outside of the cloaking field.

Beyond that, just look as some of the ships in the Essentials guide and you should be able to come up with a good idea.

Charley
Jul 8th, 2003, 07:39:53 PM
I'd say a remix on a Hapan Miy'til fighter, like Prince Isolder's (is that his name?).

If money is no object, its quite simply the sweetest fighter in the essential guide.

Lord Soth
Jul 8th, 2003, 07:59:24 PM
Yup..."Isolder the Chume'da" And his Hapan fighter is bad to the bone!...

Charley
Jul 8th, 2003, 08:06:31 PM
Yeah its like made by hand and loaded to the gills with all kinds of toys on it. Real cool bit of machinery.

AmazonBabe
Jul 8th, 2003, 08:40:04 PM
Cloaking devices also completely block the ships own sensors from seeing outside of the cloaking field.

Unless you are in possession of a particular crystal from a destroyed planet that aids in making a cloaking device two way. It was perfected by an Imperial, who supposedly destroyed all evidences and plans for such a device... but was later found by TSO.

But we only have four ships that utilize the technology as the crystals are hard, if not impossible, to find.

(There was an article in the SW Insider on the back story to the two-way cloaking device, crystals, and Imp who created it. I'll see if i can locate it.)

Lion El' Jonson
Jul 10th, 2003, 01:22:57 AM
I'd say your best bet for "near-cloaking" would be to use a real-life technology called active camoflague, which is essentially cameras taking a picture of what they see and then projecting the image onto an object so it looks like you can see through it. For disguising your ship, incorporate a really good sensor-stealth system and toss in military-grade static damping.

The Miy'til fighter is relatively tiny. It barely as enough room for a hyperdrive (and some don't even have that), let along a large bay for carrying ordinance. I'd go with an older class of starfighter or light freighter, perhaps something like Boba Fett's Slave I. The only other spacecraft I can really suggest is the Imperial Scimitar-class divebomber, which can carry nearly 20 concussion missiles, lots of thermal detonators, and also comes standard with two lasers. It's got shielding, too, and the design is "flat" enough that mounting an active-camoflague system would be practical.

Hope that helps,

~Lion the Admiral~

Solomon Daenal
Jul 10th, 2003, 02:19:02 PM
Alright, I've come up with a ship idea that will be unique as well as realistic. Thanks for all your help.

Teleran Balades
Jul 11th, 2003, 02:20:38 PM
Originally posted by Agent Charley
No dice on the cloaking device, which is too bulky for a starfighter, and would be impractical anyway.

I disagree the TIE Phantom that the Darth Vader designed prior to the battle of Endor had a cloaking device. The rebellion were able to capture one and destroy the manufacturing facilty.

Telan Desaria
Jul 13th, 2003, 04:07:04 AM
The TIE Phantom relied on a primitive external command and control feature that proved ineffective in anything but traveling: in battle the relay times proved to be too slow.

It can however fit onto a fighter. The problem is one must first produce a standard bulky cloaking device then refit it for fighter use. This takes over six months per ship and as well costs some fifty million credits per unit.