PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs Up Thread

DarthHERA
Jul 5th, 2003, 10:28:47 PM
Read this today and thought it was the coolest thing. I love this story.

Orignally from the Calgary Herald.

Saturday, July 05, 2003

Wayne Baiton sets out on a long climb up Mount Rundle with his sister Sherry Ehmann of Regina on his back and a dozen friends in tow. Sherry, who has muscular dystrophy and has difficulty walking, took turns riding on the backs of six different people to make it to the top. The team of 12 climbers made it to the top of the mountain on Friday afternoon and plan to head back down today.

http://media.canada.com/scripts/locate.asp?id=01ecbe00-4e5e-4050-b332-fc40582971f7

CALGARY -- For the past six months, Sherry Ehmann dreamed of watching the sun set, then rise, from high atop a mountain peak.

More importantly, she dreamed of watching it with her brother by her side, watching together as shadows spread across the peaks of the Rocky Mountains and the sky turned a brilliant orange.

On Friday, she achieved that dream, reaching the summit of Mount Rundle literally on the backs of others.

For Ehmann, just walking a couple of blocks is a challenge -- the 46-year-old Regina woman has muscular dystrophy.

"To me, it's about my brother sharing his passion with me," she said. "It's not like I was the one who thought of climbing a mountain. I did this at my brother's invitation.

"And I'm glad he asked me because this is something special."

Ehmann spent Friday climbing Mount Rundle, the massive band of rock that runs alongside the Trans-Canada Highway near Canmore, Alta., about an hour west of Calgary. It is a popular hike for people looking for a taste of the Canadian Rockies.

For six hours, Ehmann sat in a makeshift backpack/chair strapped to the broad shoulders of her teammates and her brother, Wayne Baiton, looking over the shoulders of those carrying her to the 2,846-metre (9,335-foot) summit.

Actual Article.
http://www.canada.com/search/story.aspx?id=da4c921d-35e3-4747-9ee4-39ac0a9c2a11

Ishan Shade
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:14:29 PM
:)

Interesting...

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jul 10th, 2003, 10:21:51 PM
:wave at Ishan

Pierce Tondry
Jul 11th, 2003, 02:05:35 AM
That story is awesome.