PDA

View Full Version : Re: Lightsabers

Xazor Elessar
Jul 4th, 2003, 05:28:52 PM
I've always been under the impression that only Force users (who have been trained to control the Force) are able to use and handle Lightsabers because they are nearly impossible for one who isn't to control. Is this a correct assumption because I saw it posted around here somewhere, but then I thought about this: Luke Skywalker picked up his Father's saber and twirled it around without cutting his arm off (granted, he didn't fight anyone right away with it, but he still handled it). Is this correct or no?

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 4th, 2003, 05:37:52 PM
Handling one is one thing, using it in combat is another thing all together. Han Solo, in ESB, used Luke's saber to cut open the tauntaun. So non Force users can use lightsabers, yes. Use them in combat? Not with any luck against a Force user.

I would assume that any being with training in a sword art would be able to weild a lightsaber, although they are much lighter than normal swords, etc.

Figrin D'an
Jul 4th, 2003, 05:39:53 PM
It's generally assumed that, to use a lightsabre with a high degree of skill, one must have some Force ability. A non-Force user can attempt to use one, and maybe even handle it reasonably well if said person is highly trained in sword-fighting arts. This person would not be able to match up with a trained Jedi/Dark Jedi/Sith, though.

ReaperFett
Jul 4th, 2003, 05:54:23 PM
Technically, anyone can use a Lightsabre well. It is afterall, just another weapon. And if it was vital to be a force user, what happens when a Ysalamiri gets near?

The difference to me is that a force user can use the force to make him more attuned. Faster, more focused.

To sum up, a force user who has trained for a lightsabre as much as a non-force user will have the upper hand, but that doesn't mean the non force user is going to be a poor fighter.

Xazor Elessar
Jul 4th, 2003, 05:57:48 PM
So someone on these boards, who comes in new (within the last week) cannot reasonably handle a saber (in combat, esp.) against someone like my character (who has been a Jedi OOC wise for a year and a half or so), correct?

ReaperFett
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:01:41 PM
.....Yes, but depends on circumstance. No, he couldn't, but be mindful that technically, a non force user CANT beat a force user with a lightsabre if up close.

Figrin D'an
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:03:17 PM
That's a pretty safe assumption, I would think.

Xazor Elessar
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:21:34 PM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. :) That's about all I need. :D

Loki Ahmrah
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:30:23 PM
I'm very, very late asking this but I've just never pondered on it before. What does "Re:" mean? I know how it is used and in what context, just no idea where it comes from.

ReaperFett
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:32:02 PM
Reply, in response to.

Loki Ahmrah
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:36:02 PM
That clears that mystery up. Danke.

Dove
Jul 4th, 2003, 07:43:41 PM
I think anyone could use a lightsaber, but force users are more effective. As long as you don't have a non-force user blocking blaster bolts, it sounds okay.

ReaperFett
Jul 4th, 2003, 07:58:02 PM
Yeah, that is a force ability, as it is sensing it. Well, Spiderman and Daredevil could too ;)

Dove
Jul 4th, 2003, 08:57:59 PM
Actually, I don't think either of them would be able to. Spiderman's spidey-sense would warn him before it even happens, but it would simply trigger a reflex to become evasive, not skill to block bullets with a sword. Daredevil might be able to do a little better in this, because he has more of a practiced skill rather than pure instinct and athleticism, but I think he would also evade shots by being faster than someone's trigger finger rather than using his club to.

Estelle Russard
Jul 4th, 2003, 08:58:53 PM
"Re:" actually means "regarding" - (which is basically the same as what Fett said, but technically it is "regarding")

Morgan Evanar
Jul 4th, 2003, 09:36:47 PM
There are supposedly some interesting and mildly unpredictable gyroscopic side effects that makes a saber much less effective for a non-force user.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 5th, 2003, 12:25:41 PM
Originally posted by Estelle Russard
"Re:" actually means "regarding" - (which is basically the same as what Fett said, but technically it is "regarding")

I was just going to say that, too. :)

Xazor Elessar
Jul 5th, 2003, 01:19:55 PM
:lol I was beginning to question myself when that was brought up. :lol

Ryla Relvinian
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:27:17 PM
A side note here... along with not being able to handle a lightsaber as well as a trained force-user, my research also shows that non force-users cannot build lightsabers either. The physical construction of a lightsaber is much more than knowing electronics. Plus, the focusing crystals are only able to be gathered by force users (or so I have read.)

In fact, building your own lightsaber is quite an ordeal for a padawan. It's very force-intensive.

There, I feel better now. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 5th, 2003, 05:06:44 PM
Unfortunately lightsabers here seem to be a dime a dozen, so I'm sure any Tom, Dick or Harry could find one laying about in the streets of Coruscant and have a go at their neighbor with it. >_<

ReaperFett
Jul 5th, 2003, 05:10:58 PM
To some though, it's the only way their non force user character has a chance against ANY force user.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 5th, 2003, 05:18:48 PM
Negative! Such reasoning is faulty and should be shot on sight!

Non Force-User: OH NO A JEDI! I WILL DIE *pees self in fear* Oh! A lightsaber! I will fight him with this lightsaber, HIS OWN CHOICE of weapon, and THIS IS THE ONLY WAY I HAVE A CHANCE AGAINST HIM!

Force User: What a f00l. He can't even wield it properly, as it takes years of practice (highly accelerated at GJO, granted) to learn how to use one properly at the same skill level as me. AND I HAVE THE FORCE TO HELP ME WHICH MAKES ME FASTER AND STRONGER THAN HE IS! He'd be better off with a rocket launcher and a flamethrower. *snaphiss*

Non Force-User: Take that! *attempts to slash, overbalances from lightness of saber and the grace that it moves through the air, and falls onto Force User's lightsaber* Aaaauuuugh...ssshhh.... :x

Force User: n00b! *walks away in disgust

ReaperFett
Jul 5th, 2003, 05:32:31 PM
:lol

But a rocket launcher can be dangerous to all, and flame throwers blow up ;)

Dae Jinn
Jul 5th, 2003, 05:56:37 PM
Dae IC just got a lightsaber a little while ago, and believe me, being a character without one makes for some creative writing :x

I don't think it shuld be a *huge* deal if a non-force character has one, as long as they explain how they got it, and like, it's not altered in a weird way >_<

imported_Grev Drasen
Jul 5th, 2003, 07:43:16 PM
Originally posted by Dae Jinn
Dae IC just got a lightsaber a little while ago, and believe me, being a character without one makes for some creative writing :x Grev being my only force adept, the only time I resort to a lightsaber is when his opponent does, when it's inevitable to defend yourself otherwise (at least in melee combat).

To me it's a lot more fun with basic weaponry than a lightsaber. But that's just me.

Park Kraken
Jul 5th, 2003, 07:51:50 PM
Now for me, the big equalizer between force users, and non-force users is Ysalamiri. Even then, the non-force person should be well trained, because even without the force, a Jedi can be veeeeerrrreeeeee dangerous.

Dae Jinn
Jul 5th, 2003, 07:55:18 PM
I agree Grev. Everyone uses sabers, so it's interesting when people use other things.

The first time Dae used her saber, she couldn't turn it on, so she threw it at the Jedi and it bounced off his head ^_^;

Zeke
Jul 5th, 2003, 08:08:17 PM
Yeah, that hurt like hell Dae, just so's ya know.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jul 5th, 2003, 08:12:01 PM
:lol never been a fan of the sabers myself, I tend to use katana and small blades honestly...never found the saber fun really, yes it can cut and burn but a blade is enough for me......

Pierce Tondry
Jul 5th, 2003, 08:45:37 PM
Originally posted by Ryla Relvinian
A side note here... along with not being able to handle a lightsaber as well as a trained force-user, my research also shows that non force-users cannot build lightsabers either. The physical construction of a lightsaber is much more than knowing electronics. Plus, the focusing crystals are only able to be gathered by force users (or so I have read.)

In Shadows of the Empire, I think Luke actually makes his own focusing crystal using Ben Kenobi's notes, so I'm not certain that's really correct.

In fact, building your own lightsaber is quite an ordeal for a padawan. It's very force-intensive.

There, I feel better now. :)

BAM! Someone just hit the nail on the head here, folks.

I've read that during the Old Republic era, there was a point during Jedi training where the Jedi Padawan who seeks to become a Knight must construct a working lightsaber. The entire process has to be done by the Padawan alone (although I'm pretty sure the Jedi Temple had lightsaber parts their Padawans could acquire). Once the physical construction of the lightsaber was finished, the power cell had to be charged. Michael Stackpole did a great job of describing the process in I, Jedi so I'll reference that.

The Jedi, carefully manipulating the Force, bound the components together--linking them on something more than a mechanical or material level, so they work with unimagined efficiency.

I hit the button, allowing the slow trickle of energy to fill the battery. I opened myself to the Force and with the hand I had touching the lightsaber's hilt, I bathed the lightsaber with the Force. As I did so subtle transformations took place in the weapon. Elemental bonds shifted, allowing more and more energy to flow into the cell and throughout the weapon. I was not certain how the changes were being made, but I knew that at the same time as they were being made in the lightsaber, they were being made in me as well.

In becoming a conduit for the Force for this purpose the final integration of the people I'd been occurred. The fusion became the person I would be forever after.

There you have it! A pair of excellent passages describing how Jedi become their "final selves" as it were, how they truly embrace the role of Jedi Knight, protector of the galaxy, and how they attune their lightsabers not just to the Force, but to themselves.

This is why a Jedi's lightsaber is such a precious and personal thing that they rarely do without.

Dove
Jul 6th, 2003, 07:01:12 AM
Well, in Attack of the Clones, even the group of little children Yoda was teaching had their own sabers, and they probably had them before they even began their force training, considering they were starting off with the orb like Luke did with Ben.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 6th, 2003, 07:03:31 AM
There are training sabers that learners use before they make their own, IIRC.

Dove
Jul 6th, 2003, 07:23:31 AM
Well, I just don't see any evidence in the movies that suggests that you must be a certain level of Jedi to construct your own saber, since the Bear tribe had their own. But I think it was made clear that you must be a Jedi to at least receive one, since Qui-Gon teased Anakin in TPM by suggesting he killed a Jedi to get the saber on his belt, rather than just saying he built himself one, but unless the movies strongly imply or explicitly detail a procedure, I don't think there is any "rule." I'm just one of those people who refuse to listen to E. Universe now.

Ryla Relvinian
Jul 6th, 2003, 11:13:54 AM
I don't read anything extended universe except for passages that people post here to back up my point. Still, is it logical to assume that the little Jedi tykes are master electricians? I hope not, or you'd see an entirely different clan called "the two-fingers-remaining clan."

I'm just jokin', of course. I think the way that the GJO has done it is pretty wide spread. Some people arive here with lightsabers already constructed, or recieved them from parents. Very few actually make them.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 6th, 2003, 11:20:08 AM
Very few actually make them. Dissagree. I think most of the people there make their own sabers. At least I do =p

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 6th, 2003, 05:03:58 PM
I made MINE!

But then, I'm not GJO. :mneh However, James will be constructing her own, when I feel she's ready for the task.

Luke received his father's saber as he was training under Obi Wan, and then, after he lost it, he constructed his own. Darth Vader seemed to think that made him a true Jedi, I THINK, IIRC...

Dove
Jul 6th, 2003, 07:01:35 PM
it's also possible that lightsabers are passed from a family generation to the next. Maybe from the grandfather-generation to grandson/grand-daughter. It's a possibility that would make sense.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 6th, 2003, 10:36:52 PM
EU alert! Corran Horn also recieved his father's lightsaber, IIRC.