PDA

View Full Version : Black Obligation

Je'gan Olra'en
Jul 3rd, 2003, 11:08:13 AM
A young man stood silent at the gates of the Palace, hands clasped behind his back and head bowed. He wore a slick black robe, belted at the waist with a length of white cloth, whose hood framed a pale and drawn face. His hair was shoulder-length, matted and stringy, a gray just a hint lighter than black. He bore no weapon, nor piece of equipment other than the clothing he wore; underneath the robe, he was barefoot. The rocks had cut his feet deeply on the long walk from the spaceport, but he had long since discovered the trick of ignoring pain, and it did not affect him in the slightest in such minor levels as were now present.

He had arrived only a few minutes ago, prepared to exercise whatever patience was required. Eventually, he was certain, one of the Sith would come for him.

He had only to wait. Soon, very soon, he would begin to make of himself such a thing as to make the galaxy tremble, and do honour to the memories of his family.

Soon...

Je'gan Olra'en
Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:14:15 PM
OOC/ Umm...reason my character would want to join the Sith? Basically, he sees the Dark Side as the best and fastest way to fulfill his personal duties and what he believes he has to do with his life. Sort of a 'make your own destiny' kind of thing.

As for why I chose the Sith? I love writing and character development, and no disrespect intended to them but Jedi are nonagressive...and violence is one of the greatest motivators for said development. So the Dark Side was the obvious choice.

I could have chosen one of the other sects, true, but the Sith appealed to me for a number of reasons. Unlike the vampires and the Dark Jedi, their teachings and history are well-defined, giving a definite background to play against. This is not to say that their respective ways of running things are substandard in any way; instead, I merely speak of what I know, as of now.

Second reason; the Sith Order is the largest sect, and I knew I wanted to be either in the largest or the smallest for several rather irrelevant reasons. Being a member of the largest sect conveys with it a certain safety and/or insulation while I am in the process of training my character. A buffer, if you will, against unwanted distractions. Besides which, the sheer darkness embodied by the whole vampire thing kinda took out the possibility that I would choose to join the smallest sect. I like power and success, and I like combat, but I'm not evil.
Don't get me wrong, though; I can write Dark, and I can act Dark. Some of my best and most successful roleplaying over at Star Wars Galaxies and affiliated forums involved either Darksiders or Jedi who'd had significant brushes with the Dark Side.

Third reason? I wasn't sure how much of an in-character presence the other sects had, ie. would they be well-known enough to make my character's finding of them simple. As far as I could see the Sith were the only ones with an official presence, so to speak.

That's three reasons there I plan on joining the Sith Order. More available on demand, I suppose. So I await, well, comment. Permission to continue on to the Palace and Discussion forums, etc. in a best-case scenario; if not I'll just move on, maybe give the Black Hand a shot. Thing is, this is possibly the biggest, most complex set of RP boards I've ever seen, and I was on SWG for over a year. If you guys (and girls) would care to work with me, I'd be glad to contribute.

Warlock
Jul 4th, 2003, 03:57:16 AM
Taptaptap.

A noise far-off, but getting louder, with footsteps following it. Before long someone became visible approaching the gate at which the newcomer stood. The sapphire robes swaying back and forth with the figures strides, while the breeze caught the hems of the tail and cuffs. The hooded person stood a few feet short of the gate. He held a tall staff in one hand, from which a light emanated, bathing Je’gan in a sickly green glow.

“Yes?” an old voice inquired from beneath the cowl.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:38:07 AM
The young man looked up, slowly, eyes making contact and keeping it as his neck straightened. He ignored the pain the action caused to his stiff neck and shoulders, and focused instead on the approaching man.

"I am told," he began creakily, for in truth he had not used his voice much in years, "that the Sith Order accepts acolytes who are willing to devote their lives to the mandate of the Dark Side. My name is Je'gan, and this is what I wish to do. Tell me, master, what must I do to enter these gates?"

Warlock
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:41:33 AM
“It’s very simple, my boy,” the old man replied.

“All you need to do is tell me why I should let you pass.”

There was no definitive right or wrong answer, but a myriad of possibilities. Scores of motives, some more credible than others.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jul 4th, 2003, 09:24:20 AM
"As an apprentice of the order, I would manifest a strong team spirit," the young man said. "Once I choose my allies, I never betray them. I would require no alteration of mindset before beginning my training; for several years now I have studied the Force from a theoretical standpoint. At the moment I possess no skills in using the Force directly, but I believe the theoretical knowledge I have gained may balance that out in the long run. Simply put, I know how to use the Force, I know what the Force is, but I have not used my knowledge.

"I cannot learn to use the Force on my own for several reasons. I would not wish to mistrain myself, gaining bad habits and 're-inventing the wheel'. Also, the possibility exists that I might make severe and possibly lethal mistakes; having a fully trained Force-wielder to guide me would hopefully negate that.

"Occasionally I find myself gaining insight from the Force. To the best of my knowledge, this is an indicator of a relatively strong potential.

"In the course of my studies I have read about combat and tactics extensively. I hold a blue belt in Teras Kasi, making me pre-disposed to be a warrior.

"Learning to use the Force is something I feel I need to do if I am to do all I wish to with my life. My goals ecompass many things; eventually, I hope to have a family, and to be successful in providing for them. Mostly, though, I want to leave a mark." His eyes blazed. "I spent my life being insignificant; my parents lived and died unremarked upon. I want to be something, and the Dark Side calls me with a promise that I will be something. And the Sith are the greatest of those who follow the Dark Side; therefore, I have come here in hopes of finding my destiny."

Warlock
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:31:30 AM
“Well…”

Warlock took a deep breath then exhaled. That certainly was one of the longest, pre-planned speeches he’d ever heard – but it was impressive, he had to give the boy that. Any questions that he might have thought needed to be addressed had been answered somewhere in the spiel and so Warlock so no reason not to open the gates.

Je'gan Olra'en
Jul 5th, 2003, 06:11:42 AM
OOC/ LOL! Would you believe that was completely off-the-cuff? I just typed that up over five or ten minutes, trying to think from the character's POV and what he'd be likely to say. Heeheeheeheeh. It's even funnier, to me at any rate, that that's how he always talks.

So, what happens now? More IC here, or do I advance to the Palace and Traning forums, or what?

Warlock
Jul 5th, 2003, 08:34:53 AM
OOC:

If I remember correctly you just move on to a thread in the Sith Palace forum. Interact with a few others, get to know the place, have your character aquatinted with the new surroundings. You could check out a few of the training grounds threads too, to see how things work there – and even jump into an open one if you see one.

:)

Je'gan Olra'en
Jul 5th, 2003, 10:41:57 AM
OOC/ *bows* Merci beaucoup.