PDA

View Full Version : Is it the greatest game of all time?

Sohei
Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:40:47 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/greatestgames/tetris.html

Interesting argument... what do you guys think?

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:54:08 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/greatestgames/streetfighter2.html
http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/greatestgames/zelda.html

:D I think that's more like it!

Sohei
Jul 3rd, 2003, 10:06:27 AM
pffft!

:D

But seriously, when you think about it, Tetris will go on long after Halo and Counter-Strike and the Sims are past. Kind of like roaches after a nuclear apocalypse.

Figrin D'an
Jul 3rd, 2003, 11:59:43 AM
I'd have to agree... Tetris is the most widely played video game in history. It knows no demographic boundaries, and new versions of it still pop up even 17 years after it's first release.

The other games they have listed are all good choices, if you are compiling a list of best games. I've played all of them, and agree with much of the assessment on each. (Although, personally, I think that A Link to the Past was the best Legend of Zelda game... Ocarina of Time was more inventive, though, in terms of gameplay).

Shadow Hunter
Jul 3rd, 2003, 12:05:03 PM
I play tetris for 20 min and get bored. I play halo for 4 hours and feel like I could play for another 6. Sure Tetris has and probably will last longer than halo as a great game but right now I would pick halo over tetris ANY day. Heck, tetris isn't even on my top 100 best games.

it's all preference.

Padmé
Jul 3rd, 2003, 01:34:04 PM
I always hated Tetris. I was never any good at it. :(

Figrin D'an
Jul 4th, 2003, 01:08:28 PM
Tetris is far from my personal favorite game, either. But, when you consider it's overall popularity and success, it's hard to come up with another game that could top it. It's about mass appeal, and Tetris has had that moreso than even Mario or the Maxis Sim-line of games.

Dae Jinn
Jul 4th, 2003, 01:14:18 PM
I'm actually good at Tetris. It's funny and easy; some people aren't good at other kinds of games. I'm terrible at shooting games, and I don't have the attention span to play the long rpg (except for Zelda on Super Nintendo ^_^; and Super Mario).

Tetris is like the crossword puzzle of the videogame world -- you don't have to be an expert gamer to be good at it, lots of people like it, and yeah. :D

Sohei
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:59:14 PM
Plus you can't win. So it has truly endless replay value.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 4th, 2003, 09:34:40 PM
I once had an 8 hour Quake DM marathon back in early 97. It wasn't intentional, but I found a server where I had 150 ping, and it was Saturday. I went AFK for the bathroom every two hours and snacks.

Thats probably the longest I've played anything in a single shot.

Pierce Tondry
Jul 4th, 2003, 10:05:17 PM
I was playing WarCraft 3's Frozen Throne expansion last night from 10 PM to 7 AM. :)

One thing I gotta say is that Tetris is a fairly mindless game. It's all about hand and eye reflexes and that kind of challenge wears thin after awhile.

Dae Jinn
Jul 4th, 2003, 10:59:13 PM
I have terrible hand/eye coordination :mneh Which is why I probably like Tetris. It's easy.

Sohei
Jul 4th, 2003, 11:02:22 PM
Civilization II from around 10 pm to 5:30ish. I was the French in the WWI scenario. Damn krauts.

Yes, I suppose that it can get mindless, but it's just one of those games that will probably never die... it has no appeal to a certain generation. Therefore, a lot of people will always like it, and a lot of people will always dislike it. And a small minority with either play it non-stop, or create web-sites saying why it sucks so much.

Park Kraken
Jul 5th, 2003, 02:55:57 AM
PONG FOREVER!!!! :D

Pierce Tondry
Jul 5th, 2003, 11:06:10 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Kraken
PONG IS LAME FOREVER!!!! :D

Quoted for great truth. ;)

Ishan Shade
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:17:36 PM
I think the argument has valor.....it just could be the greatest game of all time.....but that doesnt mean it's everyone's favorite.

Park Kraken
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:53:59 PM
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City!!!

Droo
Jul 6th, 2003, 04:20:53 PM
Originally posted by Vega Van Derveld
http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/greatestgames/streetfighter2.html
http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/greatestgames/zelda.html

:D I think that's more like it!

Jenny hit the nail on the head right there. :D

Charley
Jul 7th, 2003, 06:06:24 AM
My mom (50 years young) plays tetris with rapacious abandon. I bought her a pocket game boy for the exclusive ability to play endless games of tetris. She can play that game sooo much better than I can.

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 18th, 2003, 11:41:53 AM
Tetris is awesome. I love it. In the original Tetris on the NES, if you made a high enough score, you could launch the Kremlin into outerspace. :D

I never could do it, though. :(

Ryan Pode
Aug 18th, 2003, 06:35:26 PM
I like tetris.

Civilization II from around 10 pm to 5:30ish. I was the French in the WWI scenario. Damn krauts

Another Civ IIer. I have Civ II gold, I went about 20 hours once playing. . . over Winter break.

Ace McCloud
Aug 18th, 2003, 11:32:14 PM
Originally posted by Shadow Hunter
I play tetris for 20 min and get bored. I play halo for 4 hours and feel like I could play for another 6. Sure Tetris has and probably will last longer than halo as a great game but right now I would pick halo over tetris ANY day. Heck, tetris isn't even on my top 100 best games.

it's all preference.

All i know is that my friends and I had a 20 hour halo fest. 7 or 8 tvs, 8 xbox's, 10 halos, lots of controllers and no sleep....Its gonna be hell once Halo 2 roles around >=)