PDA

View Full Version : Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

Figrin D'an
Jul 1st, 2003, 12:44:08 AM
I know it's very early in terms of reviews, but out of 7 reviews posted on rottentomatoes, only one of them is bad. The rest are actually quite positive, which is a pleasent surprise to what I was expecting. I had intended on seeing this film in the theatre anyway, regardless of the reviews, because... well.. it's a Terminator film. 'Nuff said. But... could it actually end up being a decent film? I don't expect it to live up to the second film (which was one of the greatest sci-fi thriller films ever, IMO), but I kind of have a glimmer of hope now that it could be better than just your run-of-the-mill mid-summer action film.

It opens on Wednesday... I may actually go see it on opening night.

JMK
Jul 1st, 2003, 08:44:11 AM
I do want to see this quite badly now. I saw a new trailer and it looks like its going to be solid at the least. I'll definetly be seeing it, but not opening day.

Gyon Banex
Jul 1st, 2003, 09:19:42 AM
I have fond memories of Terminator movies on the big screen. I'll likely end up seeing it at some point. Looks decent enough.

Dyan Kharis
Jul 1st, 2003, 10:12:47 AM
Still biased against the movie, I feel what viewers are going to be treated with is a rehash of T2's premise. Only this newest model is going to be even badder than the T1000 with it's virus capabilities.

sirdizzy
Jul 2nd, 2003, 02:21:28 AM
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003)

Action/Adventure
1 hr 55 mins.
MPAA Rating: R for strong sci-fi violence and action, and for language and brief nudity.
Release Date: July 2, 2003
Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Nick Stahl, Kristanna Loken, Claire Danes, David Andrews
Directed by: Jonathan Mostow

John Conner has a fate and destiny that seems to be set and stone and unlike most people he knows exactly what this destiny is supposed to be. He is fated to be the leader of the last resistance group of humans after the machines take over and wipe out nearly every human alive. It is the fault of the governments and the defense departments as they developed an all-powerful controlling computer network called Skynet. When a virus infects nearly every computer on earth Skynet is turned on to try and destroy the virus but instead declares war on all humanity. Twice before the cybernetic Cyborgs of the future have sent back in time Terminators to kill and destroy John Conner in hopes of winning the war, both times they have failed. The first time took place before John was even conceived and was aimed at his mother, the second time when John was but a teenager. Ten years have passed since the last attempt and even though John and his mother believed they had finally succeeded in averting Judgment Day, John has found himself living on the lam afraid what might be in the future and bereft of his mother who died of cancer. But nothing has been stopped and the machines are again trying to take matters in their own hands as they have sent back the most powerful Terminator of them all the TX who is able to take the form of almost any object and even fire weapons from her arms. And again the resistance has sent back its own Terminator to protect John using again the T10 the model that tried to kill Sara Conner and the model John befriended as a teenager. But the attempt seems futile because the TX is so powerful and because also the mission has changed. Now they are not only targeting John but also his top Generals including Kate Brewster whom instantly falls in with john and the T100 as the three of them race against time and fate to try and save all mankind before it is too late.

Sometimes you have to ask yourself whether or not a sequel is needed for any successful film, and in most cases the answer is no. Now this is not saying that sequels aren’t fun but rarely do they live up to their predecessors. And while a third installment of the Terminator series was unnecessary the movie does very well to live up to its name and carry on the spirit of the series. The movie is one action packed movie from start to finish reminding of the days when they use to count all the dead bodies in the Rambo movies, well this one you should count all the explosions and amazing action sequences. The movie never fails to thrill you with senseless violence and one fight scene after another in an epic battle of fight or flight. While the movie tries to go to a deeper level of fate and destiny it is a failed cause because this movie is what it should be and that’s and excellent action movie with great battles. While Arnold has lost some of what made him so good as the Terminator, that being is cold delivery he still pulls off another great movie and probably his first box office smash in a long time. He was made for the part and this time he has excellent support in Clair Danes, Nick Stahl, and Kristanna Loken as the movie deals a lot more in depth with who and what John Conner’s is fated to become. The movie also does not end how you would expect to end but rather how it should end. A great ride and continuing in the greatness that is the Terminator series.
4 stars out of 5

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jul 2nd, 2003, 09:54:11 AM
I may not get to go tonight but I will go this weekend! I cant wait!

T1 was soooo good and T2 was even better! I dont think Ahhnold would allow T3 to fall short of the first two. I trust AS.... this is gonna rock! :crack

imported_QuiGonJ
Jul 2nd, 2003, 01:04:13 PM
I liked the first half fairly well, hated the second half. Won't give spoilers till more people see it though.

Figrin D'an
Jul 2nd, 2003, 03:40:03 PM
I was generally pleased. My expectations had raised a bit when I saw a good number of positive reviews. It was probably the most gratuitously destructive films I've seen in years. I loved every minute of it, too... there's just something about watching Arnie making things explode that is just waaaay too much fun to watch.

Story-wise... it was okay. It worked, for the most part. The ending was unexpected, but I kind of like it in retrospect.

I wanted a decent summer action flick, and that's what I got. Expectations met. More so, however, I'm glad to see that Arnie managed to do a decent film... the last 4-5 he's done have been awful, and even if it is revisting an earlier role, it still was good see an entertaining Schwartzenegger flick.

DarthHERA
Jul 2nd, 2003, 05:56:40 PM
I saw it last night too - and really enjoyed it. Lotta lotta action. And so violent!(surprise!).

Arnie still makes his one-liners and they are still funny.

T2 is the best overall in my opinion - but Rise of the Machines was worth the..what..$13.75 to go see it. :)

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jul 2nd, 2003, 06:12:53 PM
$13.75 for a movie?!???? *faints*

I think we pay either $6 or $6.50. Still way too much imo :(

Figrin D'an
Jul 2nd, 2003, 06:20:51 PM
She probably means $13.75 in Canadian dollars.

Movie ticket prices have climbed quite a bit in recent years, though. They've close to doubled over the past 5-6 years in my area.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 2nd, 2003, 06:22:50 PM
Ticket price in aust is about 13 dollars. Once you add food and stuff, a trip to the theatre is EXPENSIVE >-<

sirdizzy
Jul 2nd, 2003, 08:27:31 PM
$6.50 for me, they raised prices by 50 cents several weeks ago

DarthHERA
Jul 3rd, 2003, 11:17:04 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
She probably means $13.75 in Canadian dollars.

Yes, thats correct :)

Price can vary depending on the actual theatre/megatropolis cinema you go to.

The one closest to me, is the most expensive. But arg..I pay cause its convenient and they have good seats and 18 theaters so anytime suites.

imported_Grev Drasen
Jul 5th, 2003, 01:01:06 PM
I paid $4.50 for the early show, and it was decent. The ending sucked IMO, but I guess the action scenes paid off for it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:12:27 PM
I heard they leave it open for a 4th movie? Is that true?

Morgan Evanar
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:54:14 PM
Ticket price in aust is about 13 dollars. Once you add food and stuff, a trip to the theatre is EXPENSIVE >_< Why on earth would anyone buy anything there? Its terrible junk =p

Its why big pockets were invented. :D

Figrin D'an
Jul 5th, 2003, 04:14:11 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Why on earth would anyone buy anything there? Its terrible junk =p

Its why big pockets were invented. :D

Very, very true. Although, it's become more difficult to sneak food into cinemas... a lot of places, if they see something that looks like a box of candy or a soda can/bottle in your pocket, they'll ask you to show 'em what you have.

It's generally not a problem for me, though. I rarely eat or drink anything when I go to the movies.

ReaperFett
Jul 5th, 2003, 04:27:03 PM
I dont like people near me eating, they make a noise, so I don't eat once the trailers end :)

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jul 5th, 2003, 07:01:37 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
Very, very true. Although, it's become more difficult to sneak food into cinemas... a lot of places, if they see something that looks like a box of candy or a soda can/bottle in your pocket, they'll ask you to show 'em what you have.

It's generally not a problem for me, though. I rarely eat or drink anything when I go to the movies.

odd, they never stop us, I always have a soda in my purse and or pocket, hell I came in on a hot day with a sweatshirt that had a pocket with an obvious soda weight in there and no stoppage....

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 5th, 2003, 07:28:41 PM
The theatre near us, a Century, lets you take in whatever the heck you want. It's great. You don't have to hide it or anything, as long as its in a plastic bag, and not a paper one. :D We've taken in six packs of soda and CAAAANDY. :crack

ReaperFett
Jul 5th, 2003, 07:35:35 PM
Fish. That's what I've always wanted to take in. A nice fried Haddock :)

sirdizzy
Jul 5th, 2003, 07:51:27 PM
i've taken in subway sandwiches before, burger king, wendy's

we always just take my laptop bag minus the laptop and walla we can sneak in whatever we want

and if they every asked me what was in the bag i would just show them the front pocket which is full of stuff like disks, laptop batteries, cd roms and pens and pencils

sirdizzy
Jul 5th, 2003, 07:53:55 PM
oh and the movie does kind of setup for a 4th one if they would like to do one

but personally i thought they ended on a perfect place and a very fitting ending for the series

in fact i would be very disaapointed if they did a 4th movie considering they ruin that perfect ending of the series and also because they would have to invent some hokey way to brink arnold back again

if they did a 4th one it should be about john and kate and leave arnold out completly

DarthHERA
Jul 5th, 2003, 11:37:47 PM
Originally posted by sirdizzy
i've taken in subway sandwiches before, burger king, wendy's

lol!

I smuggled in a latte once..dang thing spilt in my pocket :(

I liked the way it ended. I was not expecting it.

Figrin D'an
Jul 6th, 2003, 01:27:57 PM
Looks like T3 did pretty darn good at the box office... $44.1 million Friday-to-Sunday estimated, $72.5 million since July 2nd opening (North America totals), which was more than enough for the #1 spot. It'll probably slip a couple spots with Pirates of the Caribbean and League of Extrordinary Gentlemen opening next weekend.

Still, good to see that it's doing well.

JediBoricua
Jul 6th, 2003, 09:42:29 PM
I just saw it. It was a good summer flick.

Loved how it ended though, it all makes sense now, I mean how could a bum like Connor become the leader or humanity, now we know.

There was a scene in the movie that I just couldn't stop laughing. When Arnold was hanging from the crane and the T-X moves it so he hits the fire engine and gets stuck on the glass. Didn't anyway feel they were watching a Road Runner Cartoon! I mean the only thing missing was the truck being ACME :lol

Mortaniuss
Jul 9th, 2003, 06:42:42 PM
Mreh. It was a pretty decent action flick, but the story and even character motivation definitely took a backseat to the action scenes. That car chase at the beginning went on entirely too long. There were some very nice touches, story wise, but they were few and far between. In fact, one could almost argue that this movie didn't add to the overall story at all.

Simply put, I think it should have started out much slower and saved all the crazy action for the end.

The T-X reminded me of a villan in a Resident Evil game: Showing up only every now and again, then getting knocked down while the heros run away.

The actor they got to play John Conner actually wasn't all that bad. He looked nothing like John in T2, but he did look a lot like the actor who played John's father, which makes sense. Also, I wish they could have gotten Linda Hamilton to come back.

The movie was worth watching, especially if you can get some cheap tickets. But it's nowhere near the greatness of T2.

DarthHERA
Jul 10th, 2003, 07:20:43 PM
Originally posted by Mortaniuss

The actor they got to play John Conner actually wasn't all that bad. He looked nothing like John in T2, but he did look a lot like the actor who played John's father, which makes sense.

I had thought the same thing.

ReaperFett
Aug 1st, 2003, 11:30:29 AM
Saw T3 finally. Very good, IMO possibly better than the other pair. I'm glad Linda Hamilton didn't want to do a third, it would have ruined this. The only real weak spot for me was the Terminatrix. She just didn't cut it for me. Schwarzenegger showed he can still do it though.

The cameo was funny too :D

Dutchy
Aug 3rd, 2003, 12:51:58 PM
I totally disagree with ReaperFett. T3 was good, but it's not even remotely close to T1 and T2. One thing I thought while watching T3 was: "Man, what an absolutely fantastic movie T2 is".

The Terminatrix was the BEST thing about T3. She might actually be the coolest chick I've ever seen in a movie. :)