PDA

View Full Version : Wow

Gyon Banex
Jun 30th, 2003, 09:40:43 AM
I've got to say, this is the coolest site I've seen in a long time!

Elena Van Derveld
Jun 30th, 2003, 09:44:00 AM
:cool Yes, it is, isn't it?

Gyon Banex
Jun 30th, 2003, 09:46:16 AM
Hi Elena!

I've lurked here and at TGC for a while now, and I like what I see so far. Just registered an account today, so I guess I'll see what all this is about.

Charley
Jun 30th, 2003, 09:49:24 AM
Welcome to Swfans.

Enjoy your stay here. Read the FAQ (aka, click the link in my sig) and figure out the rules here before you do anything. That way, you'll know what to do and not to do, and we'll all have a good time.

Elena Van Derveld
Jun 30th, 2003, 09:50:09 AM
Good to hear that you've lurked :thumbup always helpful for sussing out what the place is like / how things run.

And take heed of teh Agent ;)

Gyon Banex
Jun 30th, 2003, 09:52:07 AM
Will do, Charley. Thanks.

EDIT: Thanks to you too, Elena.

Nathanial K'cansce
Jun 30th, 2003, 10:00:11 AM
Howdy and welcome. :)

Gyon Banex
Jun 30th, 2003, 10:02:05 AM
I have a question:

Do you need a signature and avatar before you begin RPing? I already put my request in the Roleplaying Helpdesk, but I'm kinda antsy to get going (sorry).

Nathanial K'cansce
Jun 30th, 2003, 10:03:03 AM
Nope, go right ahead. The sig and Avatars are there to make us look pretty. :)

Gyon Banex
Jun 30th, 2003, 10:04:09 AM
ok...thanks.

Solomon Daenal
Jun 30th, 2003, 10:12:49 AM
Welcome. :D

Gyon Banex
Jun 30th, 2003, 10:17:17 AM
http://216.73.105.30/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30467

Well, here's my first RP, if anybody's interested.

Gyon Banex
Jun 30th, 2003, 10:31:11 AM
I meant to ask:

Is it okay if I want to join the GJO, but I don't want to just go and apply at the Recruitment Center? What I mean is, I want something to happen that makes me end up at the GJO, instead of me just going there, understand?

Elena Van Derveld
Jun 30th, 2003, 10:42:37 AM
That's fine :)

Kelt Simoson
Jun 30th, 2003, 10:50:29 AM
Welcome :)

Gyon Banex
Jun 30th, 2003, 10:55:23 AM
More stupid questions:

Whenever I make my chr a Jedi, I was wanting to make him a little bit different than most. Remember in ANH when Obiwan is talking about a lightsaber being "not as clumsy or random as a blaster", and being "an elegant weapon, with a more civilized edge"? Well, what if that was his personal bias. Would it be possible to make a force-sensitive character that had the same kind of reflexes and skills of a Jedi, but used blasters and guns almost exclusively over a lightsaber, because that's what he's used to?

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 30th, 2003, 10:56:59 AM
I think we already have some Jedi who prefer other weapons over those normally use, so providing he was following the Jedi code and not barrelling into places guns blazing like maniac... :D

Gyon Banex
Jun 30th, 2003, 11:18:51 AM
Well, he wouldn't be aggressive, but he'd definitely do a lot of shooting when the situation called for it. Lots of running & gunning, and trick shooting, etc. I just think it would be cool to have somebody like that, because its a bit off the beaten path.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 30th, 2003, 11:24:50 AM
So long as it's all in the name of peace :mneh

Gyon Banex
Jun 30th, 2003, 11:29:44 AM
(holds up a peace sign) :mischief

Morgan Evanar
Jun 30th, 2003, 11:42:47 AM
New person who wants to RP his way to being a Jedi.

You sir, receive a thumbs up.

Also, its not entirely uncommon for a Jedi to use other weapons at all. Half the time I don't bother with other weapons :D

Park Kraken
Jun 30th, 2003, 12:53:28 PM
Welcome to SW-Fans. If you do join GJO, don't let me catch you in Soveriegnty territory.

Pierce Tondry
Jun 30th, 2003, 12:54:56 PM
My Jedi character Pierce Tondry is both Jedi Padawan and New Republic Intelligence agent. He uses quite a bit of diverse weaponry.

PS, pay no attention to the Kraken behind the shower curtain. :)

Helenias Evenstar
Jul 1st, 2003, 03:06:46 AM
Somewhere around here, I still have a NR commission to bash heads in. It might be in the top drawer.

Gyon Banex
Jul 1st, 2003, 09:08:24 AM
Another question:

Eventually, when my chr becomes a Jedi and gets trained a bit, would it be possible to develop a skill to manipulate a projectile's trajectory with the force? In other words, change the path of a bullet or blaster shot, so that direct hits don't necessarily have to travel in a straight line?

The end product of this would be to make my chr something akin to the Saint of Killers from Preacher (if you've read it).

I'd like to incorporate alot of the gunplay from spaghetti westerns, Matrix, Max Payne, Equilibrium, and John Woo stuff. I'm really not into using anything bigger than an automatic pistol or SMG, and I'm not really wanting to be working in the NR per se.

Kelt Simoson
Jul 1st, 2003, 04:07:37 PM
I have to say this though...would it be allowed?...a gun slinging Jedi i mean?

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 1st, 2003, 04:23:31 PM
They're called BLASTERS.

Figrin D'an
Jul 1st, 2003, 04:38:16 PM
Originally posted by Kelt Simoson
I have to say this though...would it be allowed?...a gun slinging Jedi i mean?

Sure. There are Jedi who carry blasters and/or projectile slug-throwers. There are Jedi who use solid blade weapons. A Jedi can use pretty much any weapon he/she wishes, so long as he/she follows the Code.

It is just that, in the course of the Jedi training regimen, every initiate/padawan is taught the basics of lightsabre combat. Most Jedi that do favor other weapons, projectile or otherwise, generally do carry a lightsabre with them and are competent in it's use. How often one chooses to use it, however, is completely up to the individual.

As for altering the trajectory of a projectile via the Force... I can see it being possible, although it would require pretty strong telekinetic abilities... so it would be something that would have to be developed over time, and be a pretty significant focus of the character's training. There would have to be a reasonable limit on just how much the projectile could be deflected as well... nothing crazy like making 90 degree turns to go around corners. But, for a Jedi with a strong inclination towards Alter abilities... I don't see why it couldn't work.

Hope that clarifies things. :)

DarthHERA
Jul 1st, 2003, 05:07:05 PM
Welcome to SWFans Gyon :)

*steals his peace sign*

Gyon Banex
Jul 1st, 2003, 08:18:58 PM
I wasn't thinking of anything so extreme, Figrin. At most, a 30 degree radius off the firing trajectory, which would mean that I'd have to be pointing in the target's general direction, still. The reverse of it would also be applicable, and allow me to distort the trajectory of incoming fire, by more or less the same degree. It would end up being a good defense for a Force user that doesn't use a lightsaber against your common gun-wielding enemy. That, and lots of run & dodge.

(looks at HERA)

:shootin

Slifer
Jul 1st, 2003, 09:56:37 PM
I hope gun-slinging Jedi are allowed. I didn't create a whole new Dark Jedi account just use nothing but sabers and force powers. Ever play force football? Need two Jedi, each knowing how to force push, and one Merr-Sonn Missile Launcher. Fire a missle, then redirect back and forth. The one that doesn't get blown up wins.

Dae Jinn
Jul 1st, 2003, 10:04:54 PM
Originally posted by Gyon Banex

The end product of this would be to make my chr something akin to the Saint of Killers from Preacher (if you've read it).

*points him towards Sage's room* :mischief

He loves Preacher too, and he's a Jedi. Maybe once he gets back, he could help you with stuff :)

Gyon Banex
Jul 1st, 2003, 10:19:55 PM
I'm just obsessed with guns. I have been since I was 12. NRA member, own seven pistols, six rifles, and seven shotguns. Its a lifestyle :D

Dae Jinn
Jul 1st, 2003, 10:24:51 PM
Okay...well. I find that weird, but I'm Canadian, so I have an excuse :mischief

Gyon Banex
Jul 1st, 2003, 10:29:12 PM
Canadians have more guns than Americans per person, though. You really don't have an excuse now. :)

Charley
Jul 1st, 2003, 10:32:13 PM
Whatcha got, Gyon?

Gyon Banex
Jul 1st, 2003, 10:38:56 PM
Got all these:

Pistols -
S&W 9mm
Glock 17 9mm
Colt 1911 .45
Taurus .45 revolver
Sig .357 :D
Beretta 9mm
Ruger .22 magnum

Rifles -
.30 bolt action hunting rifle
M-1 Garand
30-06
AR-15 :D
.22 hunting rifle
.22 target rifle

Shotties -
12 gauge long choke
12 gauge short choke
12 gauge pump
16 gauge short choke
20 gauge long choke
and an O/U 16 gauge duck gun

Dae Jinn
Jul 1st, 2003, 10:41:20 PM
Originally posted by Gyon Banex
Canadians have more guns than Americans per person, though. You really don't have an excuse now. :)

No Canadians I know personally own any guns. I guess I'm just lucky. :D

Charley
Jul 1st, 2003, 10:49:59 PM
:lol Taurus???

O well. They make decent enough revolvers. I wouldn't buy a semi from em.

As for the rest, good choices all around...especially the Glock 17.

You should've gotten your 1911 from Springfield Armory instead of Colt. They upped the ante on the design a bit.

Is your S&W a purebreed, or is it one of the Sigma models?

Sasseeri Reeouurra
Jul 1st, 2003, 10:59:10 PM
He scares me. *edges away from the new guy* ^_^;

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 2nd, 2003, 04:54:00 AM
He's packing, that's for sure o_O

Gyon Banex
Jul 2nd, 2003, 08:54:26 AM
I have a friend who owns a semi Taurus 9mm, and he's never had problems with it. I've heard the same from other people, but I figure if you properly clean and maintain most guns, then you'll never have an issue.

Springfields have the safety plate on the back of the grip, right? I saw one, but it didn't really seem that big of a deal to me, since the safeties on a 1911 are usually manual.

My S&W isn't a sigma, no. I figure I've already got a Glock, so I don't really need a glock copy. Not knocking the glocks, because they're nice guns, but I wanted something else.

;) @ Dasqian & Saseeri

Charley
Jul 2nd, 2003, 09:44:13 AM
Good point about the 1911. I'm just not a fan of manual safeties on pistols. I don't like hammers and safety buttons. I want my gun ready to go, so anything that keeps the weapon safe but doesn't increase time from holster to firing is good for me.

Park Kraken
Jul 2nd, 2003, 11:27:52 AM
weak man weak. If they ever scrap the Iowa or Wisconsin, I'm gonna take one of those 16" Turrets, put wheels under it, and that is going to be my little shotgun.