PDA

View Full Version : This Cat HAS To Be At Least Part Sith

Jinn Fizz
Jun 27th, 2003, 10:51:21 PM
Postmen put a boycott on house where 'Danger Puss' lies in wait for them

Martin Wainwright
Saturday June 28, 2003
The Guardian

A cat in a quiet Hampshire town has triggered a Royal Mail boycott after drawing blood from seven postmen and women.
The 11-year-old spits, jumps at the throat and digs its claws into anyone trying to deliver to the address in New Milton, say staff. They are now refusing to run the gauntlet. Originally misidentified as a dog in injury reports, the burly black tomcat, called Purrdey, has continued his ambushes despite being tied on a leash.

"I've always thought of him as a lovely old fellow, but it seems he has a problem with postmen and women," said his owner, 79-year-old Alan Rice.

"I was very surprised when I went to collect my undelivered mail and the woman on the counter told me: 'Your cat has a very bad reputation in our office.' "

A postwoman was recently seen running from Mr Rice's garden two weeks after one of her colleagues had been driven back by the animal arching its back and spitting.

"This cat is dangerous," said Alan Booth, spokesman for the Royal Mail. "It is intent on drawing blood from any of our staff who try to approach the house.

"It leaps in the air as if it believes it's a tiger and lands on people, digging its claws in as deeply as possible. This cat has become well known among our workers, and frankly its behaviour is unacceptable."

Mr Rice's post is bulky as he is a councillor on all three tiers of local government, sitting on Hampshire county council, New Forest district council and New Milton town council. Committee agendas, minutes and scores of briefing papers have piled up at the local sorting office because Purrdey has prevented delivery.

"It's all rather embarrassing," said Mr Rice, a retired electrical engineer who has taken chocolates to the local sorting office to try to make amends.

"There's a warning up there saying 'Beware of Alan Rice's cat,' " he added.

Cats have occasionally stopped the mail getting through before: last year an animal named Boo Boo prevented deliveries in the Pontprennau area of Cardiff.

Other boycotts have been caused by geese, seagulls, and, in Gloucestershire, a particularly plucky pheasant.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:12:50 PM
Good grief! I'm surprised they're not clamouring to have the cat put down.

But I'm glad they're not as well. :)

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:16:21 PM
theres a situation like that in my town right now but with a dog. The postman stopped delivery after repeated warnings - and has the backing of the postmaster - yet the man who owns the dog does nothing, except stand on his porch and videotape the postman NOT leaving the mail at his house. The homeowners' lawyer told him to tape it.

I dont think he has a leg to stand on :p

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 28th, 2003, 01:38:02 AM
what a cool cat!

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jun 28th, 2003, 02:53:37 AM
my friend had a cat like that....stupid Mittens, he would attack you the minute you stepped out the door, wrapping his paws around your ankle then biting the crud outta your ankle and foot...god, I hated that cat....:mad

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jun 28th, 2003, 04:50:15 AM
Cat attacks me... I KICK IT!!!
Like a little furry football!!!

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 28th, 2003, 06:00:24 AM
Crikey. I wish my cats would do that on command :D

Park Kraken
Jun 28th, 2003, 12:19:44 PM
We used to have a kitten, called Ol'Hiss. He would spit, and sputter everytime any human got near him. When someone would pick him up, he would bite their hands, and poop on them, and shake like mad. We think he was possessed. Anyways, last time I saw him, he was climbing into rear engine area of the van, and was still there when we went to the Grocery store. That is the last time I saw him, and it has been about a year or two.

Park Kraken
Jun 28th, 2003, 12:20:34 PM
Oh, and the van never smelled like rotting meat, so we assume he climbed out at the Grocery store, and from there.......?

Kariss
Jun 28th, 2003, 03:31:21 PM
:lol

Sorry, the idea of the postal carriers running from a cat is just too hilarious to imagine. Though I feel for them....Go KITTY!!!

Charley
Jun 28th, 2003, 04:39:56 PM
Me + gun = missing cat = mail delivered on time.

Park Kraken
Jun 28th, 2003, 07:32:12 PM
me + baking powder = cancels the above equation

Charley
Jun 28th, 2003, 08:52:02 PM
You = not funny = stop trying to be funny

Park Kraken
Jun 28th, 2003, 09:09:53 PM
You = annoying = Barney.

Leeloo Mina
Jun 29th, 2003, 05:36:21 AM
Aw.. I wish my kitties were that protective of my house.. but they're just too friendly..

aww.. wittle norweign kittywittyies..

Heh. That's a really cool cat.