PDA

View Full Version : Charlie's Angels 2: Full Throttle

sirdizzy
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:51:17 PM
Comedy and Action/Adventure
1 hrs. 43 min.
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for action violence, sensuality and language/innuendo.
Release Date: June 27th, 2003
Starring: Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore, Lucy Liu, Bernie Mac, Crispin Glover
Directed by: McG

Natalie, Dylan and Alex are three members of a crime fighting organization that has been founded by a billionaire known only as Charlie. Charlie communicates with his agents, which he has dubbed Angels through a speaker box in his assistant Bosley’s office and has never been seen by any of his Angels over the years. The Angels jobs are usually separate and apart from that of the government as they are contracted out through Charlie but this time it is different because two government officials have had a set of rings stolen that when put together can give the names and whereabouts of those on the witness protection program. This is crucial because the person in control of the rings could sell the whereabouts of those on the witness protection program to all the crime bosses seeking revenge for those who have testified against them. It is then revealed that Dylan was once in the program herself as she witnessed her ex-boyfriend commit a deadly crime for his family and Irish mafia group. He is not out of jail and is seeking her to get his revenge for her sending him up the river, this could involve Dylan’s best friends by putting them in harms way and enters her into a psychological test as she worries for her friends’ safety. But there seems to be more involved then what is just on the surface as an ex-angel Madison Lee turns up and proves to be as adept in the fighting skills and espionage of the current angels as she has gone out on her own. All this is about to erupt in a climatic battle scene that will risk the Angels lives as they try and save the world one more time.

Watching this movie I came to the realization that we should make a new classification for movies. You have your popcorn movies, your chick flicks, you guy films and your family films but this seems to fall under the guilty pleasure genre or movies you are ashamed to say you liked. Or maybe even better yet it should be classified as a T&A movie, as the Angels once again shake their asses in once scene after another and from one set of scantly clad costume to the next. The movie seems to have no shame as it tests how far it can get away with the Pg-13 rating it received. That is not to say that the movie is not exciting or quite the thrill ride which it is. The movie rarely bothers with plot or character development as it goes from one fast paced, high-octane scene after another in quite the roller coaster ride of adventure, action and excitement. All three main characters are likeable in there own way and make you stand up and cheer for them as the movie goes along, you can’t but help like them and you can’t help but like the film even though it is silly and cheesy at times. They do not seem to care about plot holes or cheesy fighting scenes, as they seem to be mocking the Matrix at times. They replaced Bosley with Bernie Mac that’s ok they just made him Bill Murray’s brother and forget the fact ones white and the others black and the unlikelihood they would have the same name. They made Alex’s father white when she’s Chinese and don’t even bother to explain the relationship there. The movie is just one action packed thrill ride that is fun to watch even as you wince at some of the cheesiness of it all. Yes it’s a popcorn flick, and yes it’s a T&A movie, yes the movie is a guilty pleasure movie, and yes I am ashamed to admit I liked it and enjoyed myself.
3.5 stars out of 5

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:32:18 PM
YOU GAVE THIS POS MORE THAN NEMO?!?!?!!?

WRONG ANSWER

TheHolo.Net
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:39:33 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
YOU GAVE THIS POS MORE THAN NEMO?!?!?!!?That question has a simple and obvious answer, easily gleaned from his review. T&A

ReaperFett
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:43:51 PM
Someones going to have to explain T&A to me. Ive seen it dotted around in places, and never worked out what it means :)

TheHolo.Net
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:45:08 PM
The actual words are censored here if that gives any hints. Lets also say that sex sells, and is used to do so often.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:49:17 PM
Yeah though Dizzy you couldn't drag me to see this film, it just doesn't look like my thing.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:55:29 PM
But the odd thing about this movie that i have noted it's not the guys that want to see it - it's girls, judging by my wife's reaction and all her friends. They want to go see girls kick some in ridiculously tight clothing.

what, you think girls like The Matrix for their hunks? Bah, it's Trinity and her kick butt and the sprayed on suit!

Take it from me, this is a chick action flick. Males are advised to stay away. If you want proof, do some polls. See how many guys want to go verses the girls.

At least the guys can go see much violence and destruction in LOTR while the girls wet themselves over Dasquian and Marcus.

Errrr.... wait

Legolas and Aragorn.

(I honesty thought Legolas' name was Daquain. Oh hell, I'm addicted to this place -_-)

TheHolo.Net
Jun 27th, 2003, 10:00:08 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
Take it from me, this is a chick action flick. Males are advised to stay away. If you want proof, do some polls. See how many guys want to go verses the girls.You're right, this film does appeal to some women in that the lead roles in this film are tough women kicking men's rears.

But as for your experiment I would word that a bit differently and there is evidence to my thought in dizzy's review itself.

"Just how many men would "admit" they want to go see this film?"

I'm not one because I'm pretty much past the age where sex is all it takes to sell something to me, but there are plenty of other men around who don't think with their brains first the majority of the time.

Jinn Fizz
Jun 27th, 2003, 10:15:57 PM
I saw the first Charlie's Angels on DVD, and was not impressed with it at all. So I have absolutely zero interest in seeing the sequel. :zzz

I read a pretty funny article the other day about how the stars of the movie have obviously all agreed to describe Full Throttle as a movie about female empowerment and claptrap like that. There was a hilarious quote from some guy in there that said if this movie was about female empowerment, then he had a pink corkscrew tail sticking out of the seat of his jeans and his name was Porky.

:lol

If I can find the link to the article again, I'll post it here.

And yes, I simply cannot believe sirdizzy gave Full Throttle a higher rating than Finding Nemo. That does not compute. :huh

sirdizzy
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:11:40 PM
how many times do i have to tell you guys i did not like finding nemo, i found it a boring, cliqued, over used story line, and an unimpressive movie that did nothing for me whatsoever

i never said you can't like it

and T&A stands for <font color=ff00ff>me being stupendously unintelligent and not reading the FAQ</font>

Jinn Fizz
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:31:10 PM
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
The actual words are censored here if that gives any hints.

Uh oh!!! :o

Figrin D'an
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:37:04 PM
Don't subvert the censor, please.

I never saw the first Charlie's Angels film. I have no desire to see it, nor this one. The "guilty pleasure, T&A" angle isn't enough to get me to spend even $5.50 on a matinee.

To each his own, however...

ReaperFett
Jun 28th, 2003, 05:43:53 AM
Just remember, none of you have seen it barring Dizzy :)

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 28th, 2003, 05:51:49 AM
I'm looking forward to it, if only for the T&A

j/k :mneh

I enjoyed the first one, it was funny. I didn't identify with it because it was women whooping some behind, I just thought it was good fun :D

sirdizzy
Jun 28th, 2003, 06:29:42 AM
yea everyone seems to have an opinion on the movie, yet i am the only here who has actually seen it

talk about irony

sirdizzy
Jun 28th, 2003, 07:15:05 AM
did i mention princess leia is in the movie, miss carrie fisher herself

Droo
Jun 28th, 2003, 08:31:22 AM
I really enjoyed the first one and look forward to going to see the second. Not just for the sex appeal either. Let's get deep here, people, deep.

Jinn Fizz
Jun 28th, 2003, 08:37:54 AM
The first one was more than enough for me, thank you very much. As other people have said in this thread, it just ain't my thing. :p

sirdizzy
Jun 28th, 2003, 05:09:42 PM
cmon ya got to support pincess leia ;)

Charley
Jun 28th, 2003, 05:12:06 PM
Let me remind you that this isn't a bank holiday, and you still can't swear or circumvent the swear filter. Please read the FAQ if you've conveniently forgotten.

imported_Grev Drasen
Jun 28th, 2003, 05:20:13 PM
Is there a list of prohibited words somewhere in the FAQ? What I've read it doesn't clearly outline swearing, and I've seen words editted out that I wouldn't consider swear words personally.

I know it's pretty much common sense, but like I said I've seen stuff editted out that never would've crossed my mind as offensive.

Shawn
Jun 28th, 2003, 06:28:19 PM
If it's something you wouldn't say in front of your boss at work or in any similar situation, then it's probably a swear word.

sirdizzy
Jun 28th, 2003, 09:08:04 PM
but i would say <font color=red>TIGHTS</font> and <font color=red>ACKBAR</font> in front of my boss though

ReaperFett
Jun 28th, 2003, 09:09:54 PM
Well here, the boss will fire you if you say it :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 28th, 2003, 09:24:04 PM
Some bosses might not his boss could be the type that swares all the time. I think its better if you think of words you wouldn't want your mother to hear you say.

Shawn
Jun 28th, 2003, 10:16:41 PM
Arguing semantics is besides the point: You know exactly what I mean. No swear words. It doesn't matter how socially acceptable you think a particular swear word is: I'm certain that you're still aware that it's a swear word.

And that's all I want to see about the issue in this thread, to prevent it from being even further derailed. If you have anything further to say, please PM either myself or another mod.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 28th, 2003, 10:47:31 PM
Actually the thread technically should be closed, as precedent is, swear twice without editing, thread closed.

If your post has been edited by a mod, then go back, and alter it to something more appropriate, and the little [!] tag on this thread will be lifted and it should be in no more danger of being closed.

THIS all being said:

I cannot wait to see Full Throttle!! I loved the first movie, not because its a serious movie, but because it never takes itself seriously. Its like The Mummy, you're not expecting an Indiana Jones level of believability. I wanna be Lucy Liu.... ^_^;

sirdizzy
Jun 28th, 2003, 10:56:09 PM
my mother swears worse than me so that rules that out

hey and the second time i did not circumvent the bad word thing it said censored, its just that the first one is evidently ok

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 28th, 2003, 10:59:27 PM
Well Dizzy just be don't do it again okay.