PDA

View Full Version : FTC's Anti-Telemarketing Program goes online today

Figrin D'an
Jun 27th, 2003, 04:28:43 PM
I've already put my phone numbers into the registry. If one does so before the end of August, one's numbers will be on the first official 'do-not-call' list distributed by October 1st.

There are a few exceptions on whom can still call you (like long distance phone carriers, airlines, bank and credit bureaus, non-profit charities, etc), but overall, it should cut down a LOT on unwanted telemarketing calls.

The site can be found here: National Do-Not-Call Registry (http://www.donotcall.gov)

The FAQ is pretty thorough, too. It answered a lot of questions I had.

imported_Eve
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:19:27 PM
I gave em my digits but never got a confirmation email, so I guess I better reenter stuff?

Jinn Fizz
Jun 27th, 2003, 10:19:00 PM
I registered my numbers, and hadn't gotten a confirmation email either. Then I saw something online somewhere that said that apparently Yahoo's spam blockers were blocking the confirmation email (!), so I tried reentering my info and putting in a different email addy. Still no confirmation email. I don't know if they have to manually process our info before sending the emails, or if there's just so many people registering that it's slowing down the sending of the emails.

Figrin D'an
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:11:32 PM
I actually didn't get a confirmation email either, and when I attempted to confirm that my info was in the database through the website, it said the server was unavailable. So... I'm guessing that it's getting so bombarded with requests, that the system can't keep up.

Darth Viscera
Jun 28th, 2003, 05:46:32 AM
I got a confirmation email at 4:56am 6/27.

Jinn Fizz
Jun 28th, 2003, 01:15:24 PM
Finally got my confirmation emails just a few minutes ago, yay! :rollin

Shawn
Jul 29th, 2003, 11:28:26 AM
WASHINGTON - Telemarketers expanded their legal challenge to the government's "Do Not Call" list, suing a second federal agency over the call-blocking service that the industry says will devastate business and cost up to 2 million jobs.

The free government registry for blocking telephone sales pitches has grown to more than 28 million phone numbers since it was opened June 27, according to the Federal Trade Commission, which operates the service.

The FTC has predicted registration to grow to 60 million numbers by next summer.

People can register for the service by calling toll-free at 1-888-382-1222 or visiting the Web site www.donotcall.gov.

The American Teleservices Association, an industry group that sued the FTC in January to stop the list, asked the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver on Friday to reject new regulations set by the Federal Communications Commission.

The FCC added its authority to the list to close regulatory loopholes and block calls from certain industries, including airlines, banks and telephone companies.http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/business/articles/0729donotcall29.html

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 29th, 2003, 11:44:26 AM
I'd register on it, but we don't get any calls. :)

JMK
Jul 29th, 2003, 02:12:33 PM
What a terrific idea! I wonder if the Canadian Government will work out one...