PDA

View Full Version : Request for AT AT upgrade

Jarek T'chort
Jun 27th, 2003, 06:12:51 AM
As many Imperial commanders have discovered over countless campaigns, the AT AT is the finest ground assualt weapon in Imperial history, perhaps even in the history of the Old republic too.
However, the fundamental flaw in the AT AT design is the vunerability of its legs. As demonstrated on Hoth, enemy fighters can bring down a walker with a tow cable.

We cannot realistically send in fighter cover, any local AA systems would take a large toll on our fighters so that is not, in my opinion, a valid option. Neither is sending in AT AA's, considering their weakness faced with other mech units or infantry.

Something must change in the basic defense systems of the AT AT itself. The AT AT has medium blasters to deal with the threat of enemy aircraft but as proved they are not sufficent to pacify enemy aerial resistance based on combat experience, therefore I request reasearch into ways of strengthening the All Terrain Attack Transport in terms of AA defence/protection of the legs.

Teleran Balades
Jun 27th, 2003, 12:04:24 PM
I see your point, and i agree.

What were you thinking about upgrading? Heavier armor(I think it's nearly as heavy as it can get already) or something to protect it from tripping? Most walkers, no matter what type, have problems triping.

If we don't have an upgrade by the time for the assault on Hilari you might want to request MT-AT's since they're designed like spiders and aren't easily tripped.

Jarek T'chort
Jun 27th, 2003, 12:49:41 PM
Well the AT AT does'nt need heavier armour, just more AA defense capability. MT AT's, in my opinion, are no substitute for the AT AT, both in terms of offensive capabilities and sheer phycological impact.

Teleran Balades
Jun 27th, 2003, 01:29:56 PM
True, MT AT's are no substitute.
What do you think of adding point defense turrets at each of the cornors on the main body. Sort of like the turrets on the LAAT/i Attack Gunsip used in the Battle of Geonosis, except instead of using Anit-Personnel laser cannons add double laser cannons. I know double laser cannons don't pack an extremly powerful punch, but they will be able to track fighters better. However the turret will take up some cargo space. Less troops will have to be carried.

Jarek T'chort
Jun 27th, 2003, 03:40:54 PM
Possible, a good idea. However it is not a good idea mounting weapons systems in the main body, space for troops and equipment would be taken up, from the power sources, circuitry
etc. Not practical. However, the only way to be sure is to test it. A prototype would do this, I'm sure the Grand Admiral would be willing to address this problem.

Teleran Balades
Jun 28th, 2003, 01:46:51 PM
My last idea would by to mount Merr-Sonn missle pods on the sides of the command module. Since they are Kinetic weapons they would draw little power and wouln't take up cargo space. They have an advanced targeting system, but would only be able to pick up targets in the arc the head is facing.

Jarek T'chort
Jun 28th, 2003, 01:57:13 PM
Interesting idea. I think that although that could be a drawback of only facing the way the head section points, any improvement in AA defense is a must. Can you do any more reasearch in this Teleran?

Teleran Balades
Jun 28th, 2003, 02:25:42 PM
I can do more research, perhaps try to find an alternate system that can track targets in multiple firing arcs, or design a new system alltogether. I'll run this by admiral Kracken, he's in charge of the R&D department.

Teleran Balades
Jun 28th, 2003, 02:47:33 PM
Here are a few missle systems that might work.

GAM Missile
Developed by Merr-Sonn, the Gravity Activated Mode missile can home in on intense infrared sources, such as vehicle exhausts. It also has an onboard computer that be selected for targetting the gravity-wave anomalies produced by repulsorlift usage. The GAM missile can pursue a target for up to 40 kilometers before it exhausts its fuel source.

MPTL 17
This was Bryn & Gweith's mini-proton torpedo launcher, used by ground-based strongholds to defend against aerial invasion.

RPS-8
This was the model number of Merr-Sonn's standard rocket launching system. While not as accurate as the RDP series of launchers Locris Syndicates produced, the RPS-8 was much more directly lethal.

These are a few systems that can be adapted

Jarek T'chort
Jun 28th, 2003, 02:51:36 PM
Excellent, thank you for your assistance Teleran.
By the way, what is your current rank?
If you perform well in the coming assault I will put forward your name for special commendation.

Teleran Balades
Jun 28th, 2003, 03:24:22 PM
Your welcome.

About my rank, I asked Telan the same question two days ago. He never answered.

For the assualt on Hilari I am in command of the Obliterator and the Crusader, both are Carrak-class light cruisers.

Park Kraken
Jun 28th, 2003, 08:25:32 PM
Well, at first you will be in charge of the Carracks. Later in the campaign, I want you to command any and all fighters and bombers. This way, we will have three seperate people commanding three different corps when we launch our assaults on the enemy strongholds. Also, let's see if we can pick up a few agents in place inside the enemy strongholds, like some men who wouldn't mind becoming rich. If would be really helpful if we could hit targets hard early on, like barracks, or weapons depots. Anyway, Teleran, how about some Fleet RP, in the Roleplaying section? See my post there, you can be in charge of one of my other ships. PM me if you are interested.

Park Kraken
Jun 28th, 2003, 08:42:29 PM
Oh, and about the design, there really is no room for improvement. When the Imperials designed the AT-AT, they pretty much filled it up. What we need is other walkers to protect the AT-AT. Probaly, the best thing we could do, is smelt a very, very, VERY sharp piece of durasteel to the front of the AT-ATs legs to cut any tow cables that try to wrap around them.

Jarek T'chort
Jun 29th, 2003, 11:59:40 AM
I see, but the durasteel option in my mind is not neccesary, most engagements it takes part in, the enemy forces will likely as not have tow cables.
I think I will test out new walker formations on Hilari, then I will be able to see how they fare.

Park Kraken
Jul 1st, 2003, 01:28:47 PM
I think what need is not to upgrade the AT-AT, but to design a better support walker than the AT-ST. Maybe some kind of Hovertank, or another walker design. Did you want to tackle this project, or should I?

Teleran Balades
Jul 1st, 2003, 01:55:45 PM
You may have it. I more use making upgrades and designing starships.

Park Kraken
Jul 1st, 2003, 02:13:10 PM
Talking about ships how about designing a new Gunship, one that can be easily mass produced, with lots of medium, or lower power weapons? The Lancer Frigate is a good anti-starfighter design, but it is unbelivably expensive, and complex.

Teleran Balades
Jul 1st, 2003, 02:32:31 PM
Should be pretty simple. Were you thinking any particular sized ship?

Park Kraken
Jul 1st, 2003, 03:33:59 PM
Somewhere between 100-200 Meters

Teleran Balades
Jul 1st, 2003, 03:58:32 PM
It might take me a while. I'll get right on it.