PDA

View Full Version : Anne Rice

Darren Caerdeth
Jun 26th, 2003, 02:36:15 AM
It's come to my attention that an annoucement was made recently on Anne Rice's website. Stated in the announcement was this....

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM ANNE ON "FAN FICTION"
Anne has posted the following message regarding fan fiction: "I do not allow fan fiction. The characters are copyrighted. It upsets me terribly to even think about fan fiction with my characters. I advise my readers to write your own original stories with your own characters. It is absolutely essential that you respect my wishes."

This quote is straight from her website. I will avoid posting links, and I HIGHLY discourage anyone else to link from anywhere on swfans to anywhere on Anne Rice's website for the simple fact that it could lead to the webmaster backtracking to Fans, and the Shrine.

Its my recommendation that anything taken from Anne Rice's books (particularly names, or even specific storylines) to be edited as quickly as possible. Her intellectual property is copyrighted, and judging from this announcement, there is a good possibility that not only the Shrine, but Swfans could face lawsuits if Anne Rice was directed to our site.

Pandora Damaris
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:14:25 PM
Wow....... don't know what to say about that.

Empress Ashiva
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:16:00 PM
It's been changed...... Tell who ever ran to you about after all this time that I have been using it and all the sudden they are concerned its taken care of.....

Darren Caerdeth
Jun 27th, 2003, 02:01:26 AM
The person who told me about this was nice enough to come to me about it, instead of taking it directly into an OOC debate.

I wasnt directed in a fashion that suggested that this person was trying to take a shot at the Shrine. When I was refered to the site, it was in a very friendly, concerned way.

Please dont act like its just someone else trying to take shots at us. If they meant this as a shot to us, it would have been drug out into the public, rather than told to me so that we could handle things internally.

Empress Ashiva
Jun 27th, 2003, 02:06:45 AM
It was drug into public Darren in the OOC vamp thing Ogre started. No one picked up on it. Or they picked up on it and didnt want to play with it there. Also ever wonder why now? why all the sudden when I have been usen Akasha since before I came to fans??? :( Why when every thing else is going wrong? Little bit of over kill on there part I think....

Darren Caerdeth
Jun 27th, 2003, 02:28:21 AM
The reason it was brought up now is because that whole load of shit that went on OOC put EVERYONE'S attention on the Shrine...

I would be lieing if I said this wasnt brought on by that thread..

The point im trying to make is....The issue could have easily been brought back up in OOC....and once again, there would be a big load of shit.

Instead of doing that, the person came to me, so that I could bring it up here, so that we could quietly handle things without the rest of the boards getting involved....

And now it seems like Im the bad guy here for bringing this up. Its almost as if some people think im working in "cahoots" with those that dislike the Shrine...

After all thats gone on, ive tried to keep things professional, and I myself have remained unbiased about this stuff.

To me, this is a legitimate problem, and it should be addressed professionally. Instead, its begrudgingly taken with a very strong hint of resentment.

Even Soth, someone who seemed to like my way of handling business, and someone I consider a friend seems to think that im involved in some kind of plot against the Shrine.

Some of you may or may not know this, but I already feel like im at least partially responsible for what happened in the OOC forum. And now it seems like im causing even more resentment and anger.

So to avoid causing anymore trouble, I'll be PMing Ogre shortly with a request to remove my moderator status from the Shrine Forum.

I officially resign from the Shrine council.